Chapter 24: Out of the Past, Part 2

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

 

The majority of Amber's life consisted of her feeling as though she was different from other females her age. In her early teens, she adapted an androgynous style as she always hated to wear skirts and dresses. Her mother always nagged her about her appearance.

 

"How are you going to pick up boys looking like one?," she always said. "And if you think I have the money for that gender surgery, well you are sadly mistaken young lady!" Her mother explained while wagging her finger only inches in front of her face.

 

Once Amber turned 18, she packed up what little belongings she had and moved into a small two bedroom apartment with her senior, Victoria. She met Victoria through a dance class at a local gym and they became fast friends who shared everything. So when Amber told Victoria about her troubled home life especially the turbulent relationship with her mother, Victoria suggested on becoming roommates.

 

The first three months were smooth sailing until Victoria caught a break at work so she made time to date. Amber stayed awake most nights to the sound of heavy panting, low moans, skins slapping, and the bed creaking from Victoria's bedroom. It wasn't as if she meant to eavesdrop, there were nights she fell asleep with her headphones on but she grew wary of waking the next day to a fuzzy feeling in her ears.

 

She battled within herself to date as well in since she had the freedom to do so without her mother's refusal. But whenever she found the confidence to pursue the option, she cowarded away for she lived in a conservative country and she was aware judgement and ridicule would follow.

 

Victoria asked her to tag along to nightclubs and bars to find a potential suitor even lending Amber clothes from her wardrobe to elevate her appearance. After two weeks, Victoria stopped inviting Amber as she came home with multiple guys and Amber zero. But what did Victoria expect, they went to straight clubs and bars but it wasn't as if gay people weren't allowed but Amber could've benefited from a girls only bar.

 

One night when Victoria was out on the town, Amber took the initiative to visit a gay nightclub that catered to males called Queen. She hid out at the corner of the bar sipping her whiskey observing the swaying bodies on the dance floor. Closing her eyes while getting lost in the music until two very attractive females appeared at the center of the dance floor. Amber's eyes never left the small women, one with a brown bob hairstyle and the other with raven hair with bangs and styled in a high ponytail.

 

The brunette was shaking her hips from side to side as the raven haired woman came up behind her and placed her hands on her hips. They danced body to body for the next three songs until Pokerface by Lady Gaga played where they separated to vogue and jump around. Amber laughed at the sight and a warm sensation traveled through her body to realize that she wasn't alone in her attraction to the same gender.

 

Now present day, she stood in the doorway of the cafeteria watching the two said women sharing a coffee break at one of the high top tables. Exchanging loving looks, laughing, wiping dirt from the other's face, and holding hands. Amber would be lying if she denied that she wasn't the least bit envious at the sight. She felt like such a fool for asking Miss Joohyun out for drinks on her first day of employment with Kompass. She disregarded the appearance of a diamond studded engagement ring instead believing Miss Joohyun wore it as a way to wore off potential suitors.

 

Who knew she would become one of them?

 

Amber released a ragged breath as she closed the swinging door to the kitchen. She wondered when was fate going to fall in her favor and she would find her soulmate. If not soulmate but an available female who would love her unconditionally and she would offer the same in return.

 

Chef Namjoon approached her and said, "Amber are you ready to carve the beef brisket for the entree line?"

 

She faked a smile and resumed her position at her work table.

 

 

 

Seungwan asked Joohyun to join her for a coffee break knowing her fiancee hated coffee. She had a lot on her mind,  she felt awful for lying about the job interview. She called Heechul back to decline the offer and she heard disappointment in his tone as she did so. He informed her if she had a change of heart then there would always be a cook opening for her at Seoul National University Hospital. She ended the call by thanking him for his generosity and promised to contract him if the circumstances changed. 

 

Seungwan decided to stay put at Kompass now more than ever, after the news of a possible transfer to Taipei, she was more resilient to hold onto her position at the Incheon International Airport. "Minho can't get rid of me that easily," she murmured while spacing out. 

 

Seungwan was startled from the light knocking at her office door. 

 

"Baby, you ready for that coffee break?," Joohyun asked standing in the doorway.

 

Seungwan's serious expression disappeared and her face soften into a smile when she saw her fiancee.

 

"I will join you in a moment I want to skim over the menu for the big luncheon today," Seungwan stated as she held the clipboard in one hand.

 

"Okay I will be sitting by the coffee kiosk," Joohyun said before she walked off.

 

Seungwan's eyes left the clipboard as she was mesmerized by the sway of her fiancee's hips while walking through the kitchen. She scolded herself as tried to stay focus on the tasks at hand. She picked up the phone and placed some calls with the airport to notify her of the businessman's arrival before she joined her fiancee in the cafeteria.

 

 

 

LE woke early to practice an original rap she wrote called Velvet. She chose a rough rap with Bodak Yellow to qualify but she didn't feel the need to perform covers to win. Her peers told her throughout the years how talented she was and she believed she could leave the judges blown away. To set herself apart from the other contestants why not perform an original song and one with mature content too. 

 

Hani read over the rap last night and reassured her that she had complete faith in her passing the final round.

 

"Really, you think so? You aren't just saying that so you don't get stuck paying all of the bills?," Hyojin asked crossing her arms with a pout.

 

Hani smiled and pinched LE's cheeks, "Oh c'mon tough rapstress! If the judges could only see this soft side of you! Too cute! But I swear this song is smooth and addicting but it needs something?"

 

Hyojin looked at her roommate confused, "What do you propose because we don't have much time? Auditions are tomorrow so if you want to fix the song it is too late."

 

Hani tapped her finger to the side of her head, "See LE that is why you have me as a friend."

 

LE never imagined she would be indebted to Hani for making a late night call to her musician friend for available time in the studio. The recording session ended at 3am, LE and Hani hung into each other as they exited the studio with a thumb drive in hand.

 

"You can thank me by wearing that smoking hot fuchsia dress for the audition," Hani said as she collapsed on the bed once they entered their apartment. LE was too exhausted to threaten her roommate and after the effort Hani put into assisting her friend achieve her success, why would she need to fight her.

 

 

Day 2 in the new work environment was stressful for Joy, the lingering stares even cat calls from the two men was breaking her concentration. Bom made her presence known in front of the house to offer any assistance but also spent time in her office fielding phone calls. 

 

Jung Joon-Young sat at a table that was directly behind the cash register so he could stare at Joy's backside. She overheard him groan and when she had the misfortune of making eye contact, he was biting his lip. "He is disgusting!," Joy thought.

 

She was busy refilling the coffee condiments when Taehyung walked through the side door of the cafeteria. Jung Joon-Young covered his face with his hand and ducked out of sight. Joy eyed his movements suspiciously but she changed her focus to her boyfriend. They shared a brief hug and Taehyung informed Joy he decided to visit because rumors were circulating in the Main Building of two men who had the same reputation as Seungri employed at this building.

 

Joy faked a smile and tried to put his mind at ease by claiming it wasn't something she couldn't handle. 

 

Taehyung placed his hands on her arms, "C'mon don't lie to me, I am your boyfriend after all. Yes you are an outspoken, tough woman but there is only so much you can handle."

 

Joy frowned and glanced at the floor.

 

"I wanted to tell you last night how these two guys were staring at me, biting their lips, and asking me personal questions."

 

Taehyung's eyes grew wide, "What?! Point them out to me!"

 

His head was sweeping across the cafe inspecting every male. 

 

Joy turned him back to face her, "It isn't important, let it go it was only the first day."

 

Taehyung cupped Joy's face and said softly, "Don't say that you shouldn't ignore harassment. Didn't you learn anything from what Miss Joohyun went through?"

 

Joy shook her head in agreement while rubbing her thumbs over her boyfriend's hands until he placed them at his side.

 

Joy took a deep breath and pointed to the table beneath the cash register, "He is one of them!"

 

But the seat was empty, Joy chuckled as realization hit her from what a coward Jung Joon-Young was. From the corner of her eye, she saw Roy Kim heading toward the cafe but once he saw Taehyung standing next to Joy, he his heel to return to the kitchen.

 

Joy concluded that Roy Kim and Jung Joon-Young were the only male employees at Building 10, so they walked around with a sense of authority. There wasn't a male presence to reprimand their bad behavior and here Joy was the new employee to bother. Joy was grateful that Taehyung came to see her and hopefully the erts will stop harassing her.

 

Taehyung exhaled a deep breath as he locked his hands with Joy.

 

"Before I leave promise me you will report any interactions you have with these two guys where you feel uncomfortable to Bom. If you need to report it to someone above her like Boss Chaerin."

 

The lovers gulped and a tense air filled the room. The pictures of Chef Namjoon and Boss Chaerin cozying up to each other at the bar crossed their mind.

 

Taehyung broke the silence, "You know report it to Minho instead."

 

Joy smiled as Taehyung bid goodbye on his way to the exit. She turned to grab a rag and spray bottle but stopped when she saw Jung Joon-Young and Roy Kim standing in the doorway with stern looks on their faces. Jung Joon-Young motioned his head to go back in the kitchen but Roy Kim stood there for a second longer before following his coworker.

 

Joy tucked her hair behind her ear and nervously started to wipe the tables.

 

"What did I just do?"

 

 

Seungwan and Joohyun re-entered the kitchen holding hands but broke apart when they noticed their coworkers looking.

 

Amber nodded to the women who nodded back.

 

Eariler in the cafe, Seungwan informed Joohyun of the transfer to Taipei that Minho proposed but she promised to refuse the offer. Joohyun planted a hard kiss on Seungwan's lips from the excitement. There was a part of Joohyun that thought her fiancee would accept the offer.

 

"No I want to stay here and work with you," Seungwan said as she linked hands with Joohyun across the table. The swinging door to the kitchen swung open and Amber stood there.

 

Joohyun lowered her head, rubbed the back of her neck, and whispered, "She is the new Market Bar Cook who asked me out."

 

Seungwan pretended to be observing the room but secretly eyeing up Amber.

 

"Oh yeah....she isn't bad looking."

 

Joohyun lightly hit her chest, "Stop that! You are the only woman I am interested in! We are engaged!"

 

Seungwan held her arms up to block any oncoming hits and laughed, "You are too easy to tease!"

 

She caressed Joohyun's cheek and Amber walked through the swinging door to catch her breath. She only witnessed affectionate behavior between two women on TV dramas or movies. 

 

But in real life?

 

No never.

 

Just the close promixity to Seungwan and Joohyun made her nerves feel fried. Both women were visually stunning. Amber questioned how long she could last working here. An engaged couple, two women at that, flaunting their love without shame.

 

"Yeah shame," Amber whispered, the only thing that held her back from starting a romantic relationship. She was an independent woman now no longer under the constant scrunity of her mother.

 

"Go ahead walk out like your father did," were the last departing words when Amber left her mother's house never to return.

 

Amber wiped the lone tear that streak down her face and responded she needed to wash her hands before returning to work.

 

Chef Namjoon answered, "No rush take your time. I am not a tyrant here."

 

He pulled out his phone to check his messages to see there weren't any.

 

Chaerin called him last night to notify him that she was being blackmailed with discriminating photos and threathening messages from one of the employees. She asked him if he could watch every employee at the Main Building and report any suspicious activity to her.

 

"This is ridiculous!," he exclaimed as the kitchen was operating in a smooth fashion. "She is acting paranoid for no reason."

 

He stopped Chef Seungwan when she walked into the kitchen, "I heard you are in charge of a big luncheon today." (She nodded somewhat surprised.) "I only bring it up in case you might need an extra pair of hands, Amber and I will be available to help."

 

Amber's head jerked in their direction when she heard her name.

 

Seungwan smiled and said, "Thank you for the offer and if the workload is too much for Nancy, Hyebin, and myself, we will ask for help."

 

Seungwan bowed and continued to her office.

 

Amber cleared her dry throat she prepared herself for the Catering Chef to cuss her out for making a pass at her beautiful fiancee.

 

"Maybe she is used to it," Amber thought believing Seungwan ran into this problem daily. She felt her cheeks turning red aware she was another person added to that list.

 

"What a move," she scolded herself trying to keep busy with the Market Bar menu.

 

 

All heads turned into the direction of a delivery man who was holding a beautiful bouquet of flowers. He glanced at his clipboard and said, "Where can I find Miss Bae Joohyun?"

 

Namjoon led the man to Joohyun's office door.

 

"Flowers too," Amber smirked shaking her head in astonishment. "So that is what it feels like to be the apple of everyone's eye."

 

Joohyun was typing at her desk when the delivery man asked for her signature on the clipboard. Her face lit up for her fiancee was the sweetest woman she ever encountered by surprising her with a gorgeous arrangement of flowers. She thanked the delivery man and left her office with the bouquet in hand to the office next door.

 

The door was open as Seungwan was finishing a conversation with the front desk at the airport.

 

"He will arrive in two hours, okay thank you," Seungwan hung up as she lean back in the chair.

 

She smiled when she saw Joohyun standing in the doorway.

 

 "Wow that is a beautiful bouquet you got there," she said.

 

Joohyun laughed, "Wannie stop playing dumb with me, I know you had these flowers delivered."

 

Seungwan was confused, "Baby I am sorry to tell you this but I didn't buy you those flowers." She lowered her voice. "What if it was Amber?"

 

She wiggled her eyebrows before she burst into laughter.

 

Joohyun whined, "Stop lying to me if you didn't give me the flowers than who did?" She stomped her feet like a child.

 

Seungwan chucked, "Read the card. Find out."

 

Joohyun ripped the envelope and open the card but she was in shock.

 

Seungwan noticed the turn in her expression, "Is everything alright?"

 

Joohyun skimmed over the card before she said, "My ex-girlfriend sent them."

 

Seungwan shot up out of her chair and rushed to be at her fiancee's side. She cradled her left hand in between her hands.

 

"I guess I forgot to ask about your past relationships well because we are together now and that is all that matters."

 

Joohyun broke into a warm smile at her lover's words. She released her hand from Seungwan's grip and her cheek.

 

"My ex will never measure up to the outstanding woman you are. Before you entered my life, I never experienced the unconditional love my family and friends spoke about. When you asked for my hand in marriage I didn't hesitate for one second. I can't wait to become your wife."

 

The two women embraced while each other's backs. When they broke apart Joohyun teased Seungwan with a y surprise once work was finished. Joohyun went back to her office.

 

The phone rang and it was Minho asking if Seungwan could stay after to complete the inventory duties. She agreed even though she didn't want Joohyun to wait too long that she fell asleep.

 

"I have to tell myself I came back from suspension so it up," she mumbled as she took the clipboard and left the office in search of Nancy and Hyebin.

 

 

The stage lights were scorching Hyojin's skin or it was her uneasiness getting the best of her. She steadied her breathing and murmured, "Not now when you made it this far."

 

She shook the tingling in her hands and cracked her neck.

 

PSY leaned into the microphone, "Ready contestant 887."

 

LE scanned the room to look over the audience before starting and snickered when she saw the homemade sign Hani was holding.

 

THE Y RAPSTRESS HAS MY VOTE

 

Tila Tequila announced, "Alright girl kick some fresh rhymes!"

 

"Who is she again?," LE thought but as long as she helped her advance to the final round.

 

The beat started as LE began to sway her hips and caressed her mic stand in a sensual way. She pranced from one end of the stage to the other.

 

PSY and Boom were ohhing and ahhing while fanning themselves.

 

Park Bo Young was clapping along to the beat.

 

LE stumbled over her words when she observed Tila Tequila thrashing her head like she was at a heavy metal concert. She found her groove again when she heard whooping from the audience that could only belong to Hani. As much as Hani irritated LE from time to time, it was situations like this that reminded her what a supportive friend she was.

 

LE finished the song to an eruption of applause. She smiled and bowed awaiting the judges final say.

 

Boom spoke first, "That young lady was fire!" He pumped his fists to a roar of cheers.

 

After the room became quiet PSY said, "We have the pleasure of witnessing so many contestants from different backgrounds and age groups. It is refreshing to watch a mature adult woman seduce the audience with her music without singing in a husky voice but rapping. You, LE have my vote to advance to the final round."

 

Boom quickly interjected, "Sorry I forgot to say so but that is a yes to advance from me!"

 

Tears formed in LE's eyes. 

 

Park Bo Young said, "The way you carry yourself is really commendable. You possess this rough street vibe but now I have standing in front of me a kitten. I love the versatility! You definitely have my vote to advance to the final round."

 

LE's vision was blurred from the tears blocking her sight.

 

Hani screamed, "THAT'S MY FRIEND UP THERE!"

 

The room erupted in laughter.

 

LE chuckled as she wiped her tears away.

 

Tila Tequila adjusted her posture before she folded her hands together, "I don't think there is much more to say as I was blown away from the top caliber of rap perfection shown in it's purest form."

 

Boom cut in, "Can you say that again so we can understand?"

 

The audience laughed.

 

Tila Tequila directed her fist at Boom, "As I was saying your performance was the best one I watched today. You have my vote to advance to the final round."

 

Confetti fell from the ceiling and Hani ran up to the stage. She embraced LE who was a sobbing mess. LE thanked the judges and Hani led her backstage.

 

Hani was her hair, "Okay y vixen I believe this calls for a celebration." She wiggled her eyebrows but Hyojin frowned.

 

Hani cupped her face, "What is it? Don't tell me you are bailing out on your own party? This is a once in a lifetime event."

 

LE released a hiccup from crying too hard, "The barista manager at the airport told me I was fired for calling out today."

 

Hani's eyes grew wide and shot open.

 

"Oh that . But the dinner is on me I mean I can't have you paying for your food after a big crowning achievement that you accomplished today!"

 

LE's phone buzzed with a new message from her mother. Hani saw the name on the screen and made her way to the exit so Hyojin could make the call in private.

 

The message read, "Hyojin, it is your mother, I was channel surfing and came across a person who looks and sounds like my own ungrateful daughter on a rigged talent show. I always believed in your abilities to succeed but don't forget your family when you hit it big. I clothed and sheltered you during the hardest times of my life. I swear on a stack of bibles I am clean from alcohol and heavy substances. Call me when you see this message."

 

Hyojin stared at her phone in a daze. She hasn't spoken to her mother in sixteen years. She left her mother's house when she was 16 to sleep on park benches, cars, shelters, friend's couches, and sidewalks. The last straw for LE was when she came home from school to see her mother sharing a needle of heroine with a random guy.

 

She ran into her bedroom to find the savings in her bank was missing. She worked all summer at a convenience store to save up for a car and was a few dollars short. Her mother and her got into a screaming match before LE stuffed a few clothes in her bookbag and left the house never to looked back.

 

Her mother's voice rang in her head, "YOU LIVE UNDER MY ROOF SO WHAT IS YOURS IS MINE! YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH TO PAY RENT JUST LOOK AT IT THAT WAY! YOU WILL BE BACK! YOU CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT ME! TELL ME WHAT SKILLS DO YOU HAVE IN ORDER TO MAKE A LIVING! NOTHING JUST LIKE I THOUGHT! YOU THINK YOU ARE BETTER THAN ME!"

 

Her mother eyed her with disgust before she whipped her hand back and made contact with Hyojin's left cheek. Hyojin drew back from the sting radiating from her face. She left the house slamming the door with a loud bang. The glass in the window of the door shattered.

 

She stormed down the steps and went to the awaiting car double parked in the street. Her friend Hyelin offered to drive her to a hotel and pay the room fee.

 

Her mother stormed out of the house pointing to the broken glass, "YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!"

 

Hyojin threw up her middle finger and entered the car. Hyelin sat in silence finding the words to say but continued to drive.

 

They pulled up in front of a Days Inn.

 

"I can afford four nights but then the rest is on you," Hyelin said with a warm smile.

 

Hyojin thanked her friend for the ride and money and spent a month in the hotel. Scraping and saving what little money she made from temp work before interviewing at the airport. She found a tiny one bedroom apartment in the shady part of Jung-gu. She spent five months living there until she left to avoid the overdue rent payments. 

 

LE panicked from the idea of returning to a life on the streets. Her close friend Hani, who had a revolving door of roommates was her last resort. But it was better than living in her car that is abandoned in a overnight parking space at the airport.

 

"Probably towed," Hyojin huffed as she read the message again before deleting it and walked through the exit doors to join Hani.

 

 

Joohyun placed the flowers on her desk contemplating whether to toss the bouquet in the trash.

 

"It is a pretty arrangement," she mused.

 

She kept staring at the card she put on the side of her desk. She decided to keep herself busy with computer work to avoid reading the card. Certain words popped out when she stared at it in Seungwan's office but out of respect for her fiancee she put the card back in the envelope.

 

Joohyun was overcome with temptation to ripped it out of the envelope and recite every word. She was searching her memory for maybe an anniversary or first date to validate the flowers as a gift.

 

"No Choon-hee broke up with me," Joohyun ruffled her hair. "Eight months wasted so why reach out now. So Seulgi ran into her the other day and she mentioned I was engaged. It should've ended there."

 

She was recording the sales numbers for a two week period but her eyes always went back to the envelope. She stopped typing and leaned back in the chair lacing her fingers together.

 

"Alright it is killing me," she remarked as she opened the card.

 

Her ex-girlfriend started by saying she ran into Seulgi and was informed about the engagement. She congratulated Joohyun and apologize for being a crappy girlfriend. She also apologized for ending their relationship over the phone and ended by asking if they could meet up for lunch next week. She singed it with her name and number.

 

Joohyun was at a lost for words whether to see her ex-lover or let the past stay in the past.

 

"I will discuss it with Seungwan first," she decided as she continued typing the data.

 

 

Seungwan was assembling vegetable kabobs as Hyebin and Nancy scurried around the kitchen for ice cubes, cloth linens, and silverware for the big dining hall.

 

The bouquet of flowers kept appearing in Seungwan's thoughts, "What does this ex-girlfriend want?"

 

"Chef Seunngwan careful you don't burn the kabobs!," Nancy yelled as Seungwan lost track in turning the kabobs on the grill.

 

She quickly yanked the kabobs off the grill, her last preparation for the luncheon.

 

"Joohyun seemed secretive about this woman," Seungwan thought. "What if she is denying how serious the relationship was? No she wouldn't lie to me. But what am I saying I had no problem lying to her? We will talk about it at home."

 

Nancy and Hyebin ran to Seungwan to signal the Chinese businessman entered the building.

 

Seungwan straighten her collar, "Showtime."

 

 

Boss Chaerin read the message sent from an anonymous number. She contacted the lead of IT to track the number but he came back empty handed. 

 

The message read: I will give you until 5pm today to hand in your resignation with Kompass or I will send the photos of your scandalous affair to District Manager, Minho. The choice is yours.

 

CL spoke to Namjoon earlier to plead with him how urgent it was to find the employee who was responsible. She also asked Bom to investigate her employees.

 

Both managers called back to say they found nothing.

 

CL teared up as she stared at the plague she received at the business conference for outstanding leadership.

 

"What would the board members think of me now," she scoffed as she blew into a tissue.

 

She received an alert on her phone from an entertainment website featuring a young rapper who gave a breathtaking performance on a talent show. CL squinted at the screen, "No that can't be......"

 

What were the odds if the unreliable barista with the sharp tongue went on to achieve stardom and fame by rapping. Here was CL who worked hard in school and slowly climbed the social ladder only to fall from grace over a forbidden affair with the Head Chef at one of the buildings she managed.

 

She rounded her desk to watch the planes land and depart from a distance. She set the plague back on the bookshelf and placed a phone call with Minho.

 

"District Manager I understand this is a last minute request but can I stop by your office today around 4pm."

 

 

2 hours later

 

Yeri was typing at her desk sipping the latte she purchased early when her phone rang.

 

"Who could that be I am almost finished?," she groaned as she took the phone off of the receiver.

 

"Marketing Manager, Kim Yerim speaking."

 

Minho cleared his throat before he said, "Yeri I hate to discuss this over the phone but Chaerin handed in her resignation and I need to fill her replacement as soon as possible."

 

There was a pause.

 

"Would you be interested in taking her position until I hire her replacement?," he asked.

 

A chesire smile decorated Yeri's face, "District Manager Minho, I am here to help anyway I can."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: As I was writing this I noticed some readers found this story because of "Love From Afar" and thank you. I am proud of this story for it being the first Wenrene story I published on AFF. I also saw 600+ subscribers for "Love From Afar" so I must rush that update to appease my readers. Thank you again for the support.