Chapter 15: Back To The Daily Grind, Part 2

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Hoseok was handling the cash register as well as brewing lattes when Hyojin strolled in 45 minutes late wearing sunglasses and overdoing it on the perfume.

 

"Did you forget what time your shift starts?" Hoseok asked obviously irritated while Hyojin shrugged her shoulders.

 

"You were suppose to be here 45 minutes ago, I had to handle this kiosk all by myself so what is your excuse this time?" Hoseok asked with his hands on his hips.

 

Hyojin took off her sunglasses and handed him a piece of paper without uttering a word.

 

Hoseok read over the paper and almost crumbled it in his hands as he said, "You gave me your two weeks notice? Are you sure about this? You can take it back anytime I mean if you don't mind me asking what is the reasoning for your exit." Hoseok now moved his arms to cross them as he was trying to give off an authorative vibe.

 

"Listen first of all it was a long vacation so yeah I forgot what time my shift started so sue me," Hyojin said eyeing Hoseok from head to toe holding back her laughter from his stance. "Second of all working as a barista is not my life long dream career, you had to know this day was coming sooner or later. Lastly I need to focus on my talents as a rapstress if I want to qualify as a finalist on Korea's Got Talent. So there." Hyojin finished her speech with a snap of her fingers.

 

Hoseok stood silent for a minute absorbing everything Hyojin told him while directing his attention to the floor. He picked his head up and pleaded, "You can't be serious I mean c'mon Hyojin leaving a stable career to chase some fantasy! What if you don't make the cut then what? You have responsibilities to consider like bills and a roof over your head unless you want to live out of your car then who am I to judge."

 

Hyojin stood still with an ice cold expression on her face as she knew Hoseok would try to talk her out of quitting.

 

But Hoseok continued as he paced the kiosk and said, "One other thing you don't realize how lucky you are to mouth off to Boss Chaerin and still be employed. Maybe it is the fact that we are understaffed or when you sat down in her office for a one on one discussion you went into detail about your broken home situation."

 

Hyojin put her hand up to stop Hoseok from speaking and said, "Don't go there! You know nothing about my life only what I want you to know. If this is the way you are going to treat me then I made the right decision by ending my employment here." She stormed across the cafe to the swinging door to the kitchen to hang her coat and purse in the locker room.

 

 

 

 

Joy was counting the $20 bills at her cash register when she couldn't take her eyes away from the exchange between Hoseok and Hyojin. She smirked to herself as she thought, "Who says working in front of the house ha! Not me."

 

The swinging door opened and out walked her boyfriend Taehyung. Joy smiled to herself as she saw him but made sure to keep their interactions as platonic as possible because you never knew who was watching. Taehyung was insistent on Seungri being the person who would rat on him and Joy. But Joy never really interacted with Seungri so she was puzzled why he would be interested in their love life. Joy was aware as well as the rest of the kitchen staff that Seungri had an obsession with Miss Joohyun. Joy would sometimes catch Seungri's gaze lingering a little too long on her but as long as he was pursuing someone else then there was no need to worry.

 

Taehyung walked up to Joy's register with a bag of chips in his hand. He made small purchases throughout his shift in order to talk to and see his girlfriend. Taehyung's hair was dyed a chestnut brown as he didn't want to face punishment for blue hair.

 

Taehyung held up the bag of chips and was about to set them back on the countertop before Joy grabbed his wrist. Taehyung looked at her in shock and asked, "What am I not allowed to buy chips at your register?"

 

"No it isn't that I was wondering when you were going to tell me about the incident that took place the night we went dancing at Queen?" Joy said as she tilted her head to the side.

 

Taehyung was confused and said,"You booked the Uber drivers not me! Which one was worst I am not sure they were both pretty awful, maybe the young girl was better because she was at least cheerful. Is that what you wanted to know because I am lost at what you are asking me? I had a great time that night. Why what did you hear?"

 

Joy giggled as she scanned the room making sure there wasn't anyone around within earshot and whispered, "I heard from your buddy Jimin that while you sat at the table alone a guy tried to bribe you with a drink to join him in the restroom." Joy covered as she continued laughing and wiggled her brows. 

 

Taehyung shook his head side to side and placed a hand over his eyes and said, "Sometimes I don't know why I confine in Jimin if he is only going to run and tell you and who knows maybe everyone in the airport for all I know."

 

Joy stopped laughing and said, "It's okay I sympathize with them men or women that is, how can I be jealous when my hot and y boyfriend attracts both es. But unfortunately for them I am the only one you come home to. But don't forget I still am "y Dynamite."

 

Taehyung blushed and said, "Yeah you never have to question that but I better get back to my work station before Chef Namjoon wonders what is taking me so long." Taehyung gave Joy's hand a light squeeze as he made his way across the cafe and disappeared through the swinging door.

 

Joy thought to herself, "How long can we keep this up?" She let out a sigh and grab a spray bottle and rag as she wiped the tables.

 

 

 

 

Seungwan was lighting the flame to one of the mini burners before she put in under the 200 pan to keep the salmon warm.

 

"Thanks for being so hands on and assisting us Chef Seungwan the last Chef wasn't nearly as involved as you are," Hyebin said as she bowed.

 

"No worries I like to help present the food so the clients are aware of the ingredients I use to cook it," Seungwan said as she smiled at both Hyebin and Nancy.

 

Nancy cowarded behind Hyebin trying to hide herself from Seungwan as Seungwan furrowed her brows. "Something is definitely up with Nancy," Seungwan thought.

 

"Nancy I know you said you were fine earlier but are you telling the truth because you are acting different today? Is it me? Did I do something to you? I may be in charge but you can tell me," Seungwan said with a look of concern.

 

"I was at the mall with my friends.....uh," Nancy trailed off as she felt an elbow from Hyebin hit her in the stomach. Hyebin turned around and shot Nancy a look that said "don't you dare."

 

Hyebin and Nancy were in the locker room earlier when Hyebin confronted Nancy to confess why she was acting weird today. Nancy pretended to be clueless and claimed she always acted this way but Hyebin wasn't buying it. Nancy eventually told the truth how she and her three friends went to a restaurant in the mall and saw Miss Joohyun and Chef Seungwan acting all lovey-dovey. Hyebin didn't believe Nancy at first but Nancy found a photo on her phone that she zoomed in and captured that day as evidence. In the photo Joohyun was leaning her head on Seungwan's shoulder while holding her right arm.

 

"I sit like that with my friends what are you trying to say that I am in love with them?" Hyebin said as she crossed her arms.

 

"No no not that! I am telling you that you had to be there to see it, there was kissing on the lips and not just a quick peck but I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it. Hyebin please believe me I wouldn't lie about this Miss Joohyun and Chef Seungwan are engaged to be married!" Nancy shouted as she shook Hyebin by the shoulders.

 

"Shhhh keep your voice down someone might here you like Seungri for instance. I don't know about you but I for one do not intend to feel his wrath once he realizes all that pining he did for Miss Joohyun was wasted. He seems very unstable these days," Hyebin spoke in a firm voice. 

 

Nancy let go of Hyebin's shoulders as she fixed the wrinkles she created on the white collar shirt.

 

"Do me a favor and try to act as normal as possible around Chef Seungwan. She can tell that something is bothering you so chill out and focus on your work, okay?" Hyebin said as Nancy gave a little okay in response.

 

Hyebin left the locker room first as Nancy trailed behind asking herself how she was suppose to keep her emotions in check.

 

Nancy was spacing out for the millionth time that day when Miss Joohyun walked through the doorway in a cream colored blouse with a bow on the collar, black pencil thin skirt, and 5 inch heels. She wore her hair down as it flowed in waves on her back and red lipstick painted her lips. Nancy had to admit Miss Joohyun was breathtaking too bad she didn't really care for Nancy. She could have helped Nancy with her love life as it still went flatline.

 

"Oh that is odd! I can't remember the last time Miss Joohyun made an appearance in Building 4 or maybe I am becoming delusional like you," Hyebin said in a hoarse whisper as she flicked Nancy's forehead.

 

"Hey! What's your problem? That hurt! What believe me now?" Nancy shouted as Seungwan and Joohyun stopped and looked at Nancy.

 

"Don't mind me I need to run back to the main building! I forgot the utensils!" Nancy shouted as she made her way out of the building as if she was running in a marathon.

 

Seungwan and Joohyun looked at each other and laughed.

 

"She has been like this all day I guess the shutdown really sends everyone into panic mode," Seungwan laughed as she remembered how jittery she was when she worked in her first kitchen.

 

"So what are you doing here?" Seungwan asked as Hyebin leaned in closer to hear Joohyun's response. Joohyun took notice of Hyebin's actions and pulled Seungwan toward her.

 

"I need your approval on some W-2 forms that need to be completed for the new year so when you are done setting up this event. Please see me in my office," Joohyun said as she stared intensely at Seungwan. Seungwan gulped and gave a little okay as Joohyun let go of her arm.

 

"Miss Joohyun when was the last time you paid a visit to Building 4?" Hyebin inquired breaking up the staring contest.

 

Joohyun cleared as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and said, "Wow I can't recall maybe when I was hired about 3 years ago? I was on my way over to speak to the manager at Building 7 and decided to stop in to see the beautiful presentation our new Catering Chef has executed."

 

Seungwan stood there with her hands behind her back as her face turned red and she stared at the floor.

 

Hyebin kept shifting her attention from Seungwan to Joohyun taking into account how they both were flustered and had a hard time keeping their composure.

 

"Maybe Nancy is onto something," Hyebin said under her breath as Joohyun made her way out of the building as Hyebin and Seungwan made some final preparations before the board members luncheon started.

 

 

 

 

Nancy was in the dishroom searching for the 4oz serving spoons when she heard the sound of heels clicking and saw Miss Joohyun walking back to her office. A few seconds later Seungri entered the dishroom with some dirty sheet pans as he mumbled under his breath, "What a waste. Still can't believe she is a dyke." He set the trays down on the table and left the dishroom.

 

Nancy froze in place as she questioned whether she heard Seungri right and thought, "Wait how does he know about Miss Joohyun. He wasn't in the restaurant that day unless he saw them someplace else." Nancy placed her hand over as the realization hit her that Seungwan and Joohyun were careless enough to be seen out in public showing affection.

 

"Seungri will definitely inform Boss Chaerin about them well at least I can't be blamed. But it because Chef Seungwan is a great boss but rules are rules as Miss Joohyun told me once," Nancy was selecting the last set of spoons when she saw Hyebin and Chef Seungwan walk through the kitchen.

 

"What took you so long? Run back over there the luncheon is about to start," Hyebin said as she shooed Nancy away.

 

Nancy ran away until she was a blur as Seungwan laughed and said, "I kinda miss the snobby side of her but she will be back to her old self once the kitchen falls back into the scheme of things." 

 

"Yeah you are right it is Monday after all!" Hyebin said while putting on a nervous smile.

 

"Thanks for keeping calm today and assisting me in the set up of Building 4," Seungwan said as she gave Hyebin a light pat on her back.

 

Hyebin watched as Seungwan walked to Joohyun's office and knocked on the door before entering. She was deep in thought when Nancy ran up beside her and startled her.

 

"Did I miss anything?" Nancy said out of breath as Hyebin slapped her arm.

 

"Hey what was that for?" Nancy said rubbing her arm.

 

"You startled me and what do you mean by something happening like what between Miss Joohyun and Chef Seungwan?" Hyebin asked.

 

"You forgot to include Seungri, he knows that Miss Joohyun is gay," Nancy said with a smirk on her face.

 

Hyebin's eyes bulged as she said, "No way he is going to narc on them, I am telling you. I was hired 5 months ago and the entire time I have worked here Seungri has said nasty things about Miss Joohyun and asked her on a date repeatedly."

 

"I refuse to say anything as it is none of my business but Miss Joohyun better be careful who is she giving those cold stares to," Nancy said tilting her head to the side.

 

"You wouldn't say anything c'mon you are not that type of person," Hyebin protested giving Nancy a stern look.

 

"All I can say is for now I will keep my mouth shut but the treatment I am receiving from her well if it continues who knows," Nancy said as she shrugged her shoulders.

 

Hyebin and Nancy walked to the double doors to spend their lunch break outside when they passed Joohyun's office and noticed the door was wide open. Seungwan was sitting in Joohyun's chair as Joohyun was leaning over Seungwan's right shoulder pointing to the computer taking Seungwan's hand and placing it on the line she instructed her to type. They stopped what they were doing when they heard a grasp, shoes scrapping the floor, and the double doors slamming shut.

 

"Well nevermind whatever that was," Joohyun said as she directed her attention back to the computer screen. "On this line type your social security number and the next one just estimate the amount of wages you earned last year."

 

Seungwan had a hard time focusing as Joohyun was pressed into her shoulder and she said, "Do I smell the new perfume I gave you for Christmas?"

 

"Yes, I love the scent. Here smell my neck I added a little extra," Joohyun said as she stared at Seungwan's pink lips as they grazed the length of her neck heading toward her lips. Joohyun was closing her eyes anticipating a kiss from Seungwan when suddenly they jumped back from each other as a pan crashed to the floor.

 

Outside Joohyun's office door Seungri was leaning over picking the pan up and said, "Sorry didn't mean to disturb you feeling worn out from the extra food production I have to do but carry on." Seungri walked back to his work table with a smile on his face.

 

"I could report the both of them but they are making it too easy by making out at work with the door wide open! Oh man wouldn't it be great if they were like that when Boss Chaerin stopped by earlier. Oh well they will do it again," Seungri thought as he washed his knife off in the sink.

 

 

 

 

Joohyun clocked in for her 6 hour bartending shift at 5pm when Lee Sangmin greeted her from behind the bar.

 

"Oh Miss Joohyun I am glad you are returning to work after the holidays because you are one of my best bartenders," Lee Sangmin said spreading his arms in excitement.

 

Joohyun furrowed his brows and asked, "Why wouldn't I be here? I didn't get you a two weeks notice."

 

Lee Sangmin turned red with embarrassment and said, "Yeah I know you didn't hand me a notice but the bartenders I had hired before the holidays stopped coming to work after the holidays. So I thought you would do the same." 

 

"Whatever then," Joohyun chuckled as she knew Lee Sangmin was a weird man and somewhat eccentric. She was tying the apron around her waist when she caught sight of Lee Sangmin looking at her engagement ring before his expression darken. Joohyun took it off and slipped it into the front pocket of her black dress pants.

 

"Is that a new engagement ring?" Lee Sangmin asked as he cocked his eyebrow.

 

Joohyun blushed as she turned her attention to the pool and replied, "Yes."

 

"Wow your fiance must be Mr. Money Bags, not one but two engagement rings wow you women have expensive tastes these days," Lee Sangmin said as a scowl appeared on his face.

 

Joohyun gave him a confused look before she took her position behind the bar. She kept herself occupied with drink orders until Lee Sangmin made his way back to his office.

 

"What a creep! He is so interested in my love life but I can't recall if that was a requirement when I filled out my application that he would grill me about my fiance. Stay the hell away from me old man! I already have one stalker in my life who's name is Seungri and I don't need another." Joohyun went about the rest of the night with one eye monitoring Lee Sangmin's office door and every time he would appear Joohyun would intentionally flirt with a male customer. Lee Sangmin would watch their interaction before stomping back to his office.

 

"Seungwan was right he is attracted to me how unprofessional and he is my boss," Joohyun thought as her face turned in disgust. "More importantly he is well aware that I have a fiance maybe that is why he insists I shouldn't wear my ring not for tip purposes but so he won't get jealous. Maybe he thinks if I am not wearing it that somehow I am available."

 

Joohyun shuddered at the thought of Lee Sangmin trying to make a move on her even kissing her. 

 

"Hey beautiful bartending lady can I have two cases of Grey Goose for the bridal party in dining hall C!" Seungwan shouted while wiggling her brows.

 

Joohyun made her way to the left end of the bar where Seungwan stood and put her hand on the countertop as her and Seungwan let their hands lightly touch as they spoke.

 

"All alone tonight? Where is Junhyung?" Joohyun said as she reached underneath the bar and placed the first case in front of Seungwan.

 

"Oh I left him downstairs besides I can handle this on my own. I bought a flatbed this time," Seungwan said with a wink.

 

Lee Sangmin appeared from the right end of the bar and said, "Excuse me small catering girl please take your liquor and be on your way. I have a business to run and you are distracting my most popular bartender and she has paying customers to serve so please leave the bar area at once."

 

Joohyun and Seungwan snickered as they locked eyes the entire time until Seungwan wheeled the flatbed onto the elevator.

 

Lee Sangmin stood there for a few more seconds before Joohyun heard his office door shut.

 

 

 

 

Junhyung was rushing around the dining area with a tray of appetizers when he saw Seungwan wheeling the flatbed down the hallway into the kitchen.

 

"There you are, what took so long this crowd is getting restless without their alcohol!" Junhyung said catching his breath as his forehead was covered in sweat.

 

Seungwan gave him a cloth napkin to wipe the sweat up and he thanked her as he grinned at her.

 

"So Seungwan I wanted to ask you something?" Junhyung said rocking from side to side on his feet.

 

"Okay what do you want to ask me," Seungwan said kinda baffled by his behavior.

 

"Well you see the hotel throws this huge New Year's Eve party on the rooftop deck with a pool party and all and I was wondering would you like to attend," Junhyung asked too nervous to look Seungwan in the face.

 

Seungwan was at a lost for words as she thought she told Junhyung that she was in a relationship. But what if he was inviting her as a friend and could she bring friends specifically Joohyun.

 

"Ummmm.....are you inviting other people and can I invite some people I know?" Seungwan spoke in a shaky voice. It has been years since a guy showed interest in her and she forgot how to react.

 

"Yeah yeah of course I am inviting my buddies Lee Gikwang and Jang Hyunseung to tag along. Feel free to invite as many people as you want," Junhyung said with a forced smile. He was hoping to spend some alone time with Seungwan and he was aware that she was in a relationship but she wasn't wearing a ring so it wasn't as if she was completely off the market.

 

"Great yeah I will be there," Seungwan said as she couldn't contain her excitement over spending New Year's Eve at a party with the woman she loved. 

 

The New Year's Eve party would be an event that Seungwan and Joohyun would not forget for all the wrong reasons.