Chapter 12: Prior Engagements

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Joohyun laid there staring at Seungwan snuggled in her arms wondering how her whole life fell into place in such a short period of time. Here they were living together and working together and enjoying every second of it. Joohyun snickered to herself thinking about how she overreacted about Seungwan's behavior leading up to the proposal.

 

She Seungwan's hair and whispered, "I love you and I want to never see you worried like that again. You came into my life and restored the confidence I didn't know was there. I wish the culture was easier to adapt to in Korea but if you decide to move back to Canada, I will follow you anywhere."

 

Joohyun leaned down and placed a kiss on Seungwan's forehead.

 

She found herself lost in thought that she valued the position she held as Finance Manager with Kompass. She found herself fortunate enough to work side by side with Seulgi her best friend and confidante but other than that what was keeping her in Korea? Why did she let herself suffer with the daily harassment from Seungri? If it wasn't him then there would be another prick just like him if she found employment somewhere else in Korea. 

 

Joohyun had to put these notions to rest she couldn't voice them to Seungwan because Seungwan moved across the globe to be with her.

 

"No just give it time everything will settle into place," Joohyun said under her breath.

 

She looked at her finger as the 3 carat engagement ring sparkled in the moonlight.

 

She let out a sigh as she recalled that she was scheduled for her bartending shift tomorrow and Lee Sangmin would ask her to leave the ring off. Unlike Lee Sangmin, Joohyun felt at ease around Boss Chaerin, yes she was intimidating but fair.

 

It was reassuring to have a female uphold the responsibility of being in charge of an account with Kompass. As impressed with Boss Chaerin as Joohyun was she still couldn't find it within herself to report Seungri and all of the disgusting things he said. She envisioned Boss Chaerin's disappointment in her for letting the harassment go on for months. Joohyun was aware of Seungri's curiosity into her sudden engagement but she was always a private person and Seungri of all people had no business digging around in her life.

 

She hugged Seungwan tighter as she placed another kiss on her forehead and before long drifted off to sleep.

 

 

 

The holidays were approaching and the atmosphere in the cafe was frantic as the kitchen staff rushed around trying to complete any last minute assignments before the airport was to shut down for a week. The majority of the staff booked trips out of town to visit family and relatives. Joohyun promised to visit her parents in Daegu while Seungwan was heading back to Toronto to spend time with Yoo Jung Ahn.

 

Seungwan and Joohyun wanted to spend Christmas together but the plans were put into place before they met. They promised to FaceTime as often as they could but there was an empty feeling lingering from finding themselves separated again.

 

The last remaining days at the cafe saw the staff members leaving one by one and business dying out. Chef Namjoon constructed a cleaning cart that listed everyone's name and which piece of equipment they had to scrub to look like it was new or close to.

 

As the cleaning took place the District Manager Minho made a guest appearance. Inspecting the equipment and chatting with the staff, Joohyun respected Minho but dreaded his presence in the kitchen. Whenever Minho stopped by Seungri went out of his way to follow Minho around and initiate manly discussions. Everyone nicknamed Seungri, Minho's "little lap dog" he was always at his coattails. Joohyun suspected Seungri was up to Minho so Minho would disregard any complaints made by the female staff about Seungri. But this visit was different as Minho made a beeline to Seungwan's work table and extended his hand to shake Seungwan's hand.

 

"Hello my name is Minho and I am the District Manager with Kompass. It is a pleasure to finally meet you sorry I was tied up in Thailand monitoring another account. Chaerin has informed me of the praise and compliments we are receiving by phone and email from the staff all throughout the Incheon International Airport. It was mentioned how much of an improvement the catering department  has progressed into and I have you to thank. Thank you, Chef Son Seungwan." Minho patted Seungwan on her back as he said that.

 

"You don't have to thank me, I am striving to improve on my culinary skills and this position offers me that avenue," Seungwan said as she beamed with a smile.

 

She thought to herself for a moment all of the shifts she worked at George's Restaurant  where there was no catering events scheduled that night and how it seemed like her culinary skills were going to waste.

 

"Glad to hear but I must make an appearance at Cafe S before I sit in on a conference call," Minho said with one final pat on Seungwan's back.

 

Minho took Seungwan's hand and shook it and said, "Chef Son Seungwan, you are an amazing addition to our kitchen and I can't wait to see your work that I have been hearing rave reviews about."

 

Seungwan smiled at Minho and said, "I hope I live up to your expectations District Manager."

 

Minho made his way out to the coffee kiosk for a Hazelnut latte when he walked in on Hyojin in the middle of her raps.

 

Drumming the spoons on the countertop she rapped, "Naughty or nice/Sugar and spice/Santa checks his list not once but twice."

 

At that very moment, Hoseok glanced from his clipboard of inventory duty and his mouth fell to the floor when he saw the District Manager standing there to witness Hyojin recite her rap.

 

"Hyojin please apologize to Mr. Minho for the unprofessional behavior you displayed in his presence," Hoseok said while sweating bullets.

 

Hyojin shrugged her shoulders and replied, "I got caught up in the holiday spirit no shame in that."

 

Hyojin finished snapping her fingers.

 

Minho smiled and said, "Hoseok calm down and don't be so hard on Hyojin? Is that your name? She is entertaining and if the customers enjoyed it then what is the issue?"

 

Hyojin huffed and crossed her arms across her chest relieved to find someone agreed with her. "Besides she reminds me of Jiyoo who wanted to become a singer who retired last year after working 40 years with Kompass," Minho said as he gave Hyojin a thumbs up.

 

Hyojin gulped and thought, "Hell no that ain't gonna be me. Retire from Kompass... I am too talented for that."

 

Hyojin only smiled as she handed Minho his latte but she noticed Hoseok snickering out of the corner of her eye.

 

"Just he wait and see," she huffed and turned to the sink to clean the pitchers.

 

 

Seungwan was in the freezer wearing her puffy Nike winter coat recording the quantity of the stock needed after the holidays for the catering events.

 

"Okay 3 cases of Cod fish should be enough to hold over until mid January," Seungwan said to herself as she marked it on the paper.

 

She spent close to 20 minutes reorganizing boxes in the freezer and taking notes when she finally stepped out of the freezer with bright red cheeks.

 

Joohyun was walking to her office when she saw Seungwan writing on the clipboard and approached her and cupped her face in her hands and planted a long kiss on her lips.

 

Seungwan jumped back a little startled and said, "Joohyun what do you think you are doing? We could get caught especially out in the open like this! We have to be more cautious!"

 

Joohyun held her hand up to as she giggled and said, "This coming from the woman who barged into my office the other day and perceived to make out with me while my office door was wide open. I mean anyone could have walked by but you are worried about this?"

 

Seungwan blushed and said in a low voice, "Yeah you are right but I had to see you and touch you in that instance."

 

Now it was Joohyun's turn to blush as she caressed Seungwan's cheek and said, "Oh my Wannie, what am I going to do with you?"

 

A figure made their way a round the corner as Joohyun and Seungwan quickly separated it was Seungri with a scowl written across his face. He was fuming from Seungwan's encounter with Minho because whenever Minho paid a visit to any of the cafes surrounding the airport it was usually Seungri that Minho praised and gave his undivided attention to. It made Seungri's stomach twist into knots knowing that the District Manager took a shining to the new Catering Chef.

 

Anyways why did Seungri find Seungwan in the same vicinity as Joohyun, he understood that the kitchen wasn't very spacious to work in. But after the incident in Seulgi's office where he caught a glimpse of them readjusting their outfits, something just didn't feel right. Seungri decided he would sit back and wait for not only Joohyun but Seungwan now to make a mistake. He found it suspicious that she received praise and accolades for her work when she was employed with Kompass going on two months. As he approached Seungwan and Joohyun, he noticed they both stood in a stiff posture, he smirked to himself as he pushed open the double doors as he exit the building.

 

 

 

Joohyun was scheduled to leave for her trip to Daegu on Thursday, December 19th and return Thursday, December 26th. Seungwan booked her flight for Toronto Sunday, December 22nd and return Friday, December 27th. Since Seungwan was scheduled to return from her trip later than Joohyun, Joohyun agreed to pick Seungwan up from the airport.

 

Joohyun spent every Christmas with her parents but this year she had reservations about visiting them. Sure her parents were conservative as were most parents in Korea but Joohyun didn't have many friends back home. She grew accustomed to family gatherings consisting of 45 or older as the desired age range. Her aunts, godmothers, and her mother's closest friends always argued over when will Joohyun settle down and start a family. She is too beautiful to stay single for the rest of her life.

 

Joohyun had set aside one day to reveal to her parents that she was in fact biual or so she thought. She made a reservation at KwonSookSoo, a fancy upscale restaurant too classy to create a scene.

 

After she stop fidgeting she informed her parents that she was attracted to females just as much as males. Her mother threw her napkin on the table in disgust and her father hung his head in shame.

 

In her parents' mind a voice keeping repeating, "GAY! LESBIAN! UNNATURAL!"

 

Joohyun realized it would take time and hard work for her parents to accept her but she loved them unconditionally and would never cut them out of her life. Being engaged to marry a woman  was something they wouldn't want to hear as much as they knew it was impossible for same marriage in Korea. Joohyun knew the biual label presented hope in the mind of her parents' that maybe she would spend her life with a man.

 

She never expected her mother to be accepting of her devotion to Seungwan, from the very moment that Joohyun showed her mother and father pictures of Seungwan and her together. Joohyun's parents recognized the pure joy and elation radiating from the tone Joohyun used to speak when discussing Seungwan. 

 

Every story Joohyun told at the table incorporated Seungwan's involvement or influence one way or another. Joohyun's face would light up when she was talking about Seungwan and her parents took notice. All Joohyun's parents asked in the end was for Joohyun's happiness and Seungwan was the chosen individual to provide it.

 

But as much as Joohyun thought of Seungwan and told stories of their outings together, there was one thing that was true she missed "Her Wannie." It was difficult for Joohyun to fall asleep at night without Seungwan to cuddle with or to smell her scent nearby. They talked on FaceTime everyday but it only reminded Joohyun of the time before they met.

 

As much as Joohyun loved her parents she couldn't wait for the eight days in Daegu trip to finish so she could be reunited with Seungwan again.

 

 

 

Seungwan's plane landed at the Toronto Pearson International Airport at 7pm and Yoo Jung Ahn was waiting at Gate B21 for her best friend to walk through the doorway. Yoo Jung Ahn squealed with delight when she spotted Seungwan making her way through the crowd as there was this aura about her.

 

"There is this feeling you have like you are a different person, " Yoo Jung Ahn exclaimed putting her arm around Seungwan's shoulders.

 

Seungwan shrugged and said, "I guess it is the look of love!"

 

Yoo Jung Ahn poked Seungwan's side and said, "I have to agree with that but I think you are still greasy!"

 

They burst into laughter and made their way to baggage claim and then Yoo Jung Ahn's car. Yoo Jung Ahn was turning the wheel as they made their way out of the 3rd level of the parking garage.

 

"I hope you didn't forget our holiday ritual of attending the Toronto Christmas Market," Yoo Jung Ahn said poking Seungwan's arm.

 

Seungwan was rubbing her arm that was poked while saying, "Of course I didn't forget I moved away. I didn't lose my memory."

 

Yoo Jung Ahn smiled and said, "Well I know it was a long two flights to get here so let's go back to my apartment. We will resume our usual activities tomorrow."

 

Seungwan  said, "Sounds good to me."

 

When they entered Yoo Jung Ahn's apartment, Yoo Jung Ahn suggested the sleeping arrangement was Seungwan sleep in her bed and she would sleep on the couch. But Seungwan insisted that Yoo Jung Ahn sleep in her own bed since this is her apartment. Yoo Jung Ahn knew better than to argue with Seungwan so she let Seungwan take the couch.

 

Yoo Jung Ahn was ecstatic to have her best friend here in person so whatever Seungwan wanted Yoo Jung Ahn gave no questions ask. The next day began with a 45 minute jog around Don River, Yoo Jung Ahn wasn't a workout enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination but Seungwan loved to exercise so she did it for Seungwan. Yoo Jung Ahn noticed that Seungwan wasn't as focused into exercising as she was before as she was pulling out her phone and checking her messages continually.

 

"Is it safe to say Chef Seungwan is lovestruck?" Yoo Jung Ahn asked fluttering her eyelashes.

 

Seungwan directed her eyes to the ground and kicked the dirt at her feet and said, "I have to know her whereabouts from time to time. I am her fiance after all."

 

Yoo Jung Ahn's eyes bulged and she was left speechless.

 

She blinked a couple of times and regained her composure and said, "Wow! This is unbelievable how fast you fell in love! I am a little envious because I introduced you to the app and here I stand still looking for that perfect someone while you already found that person. But anyways disregard my babbling and accept my congratulations because you Son Seungwan deserve the best."

 

Seungwan hugged Yoo Jung Ahn and said, "I am very grateful that I received your approval and let's go watch my Maple Leafs kick the Flyers' !"

 

Seungwan threw her arm over Yoo Jung Ahn's shoulders as the two women made their way back to her one bedroom apartment to shower and change their clothes before they headed off to Scotiabank Arena.

 

The Maple Leafs were down one point when Seungwan's phone buzzed with a call from FaceTime and it was Joohyun. Seungwan and Yoo Jung Ahn appeared onscreen wearing their Maple Leafs replica jerseys and foam fingers. Joohyun was admiring the smile beaming on Seungwan's face as she cheered for her beloved ice hockey team.

 

Joohyun went to her childhood bedroom to catch break from the traditional holiday dinner with a lot of guests. Joohyun needed to see and hear Seungwan as it hit her how painful it was to be without her. Joohyun was retelling Seungwan a story from her childhood when the Maple Leafs scored to tie up the game.

 

Seungwan and Yoo Jung Ahn broke into a fit of squeals which startled Joohyun on the other line.

 

Just then Seungwan started to bark like a dog and shouted, "Yeah baby! That's what I am talking about!"

 

Seungwan reached over and gave Yoo Jung Ahn a high five as Joohyun giggled at the playful side of Seungwan. Seungwan promised to call Joohyun back and begrudgingly Joohyun ended the call.

 

 

Seungwan contemplated different scenarios to explain to Joohyun that she didn't have a close relationship with her parents as she wanted to. There was a rift that occurred recently concerning Seungwan's relocated to Korea. Seungwan confessed to her parents about her uality. Their initial reaction was to disown Seungwan but her parents couldn't do it, they might as well accept it for what is and no turning back.

 

The major issue was the move to Seoul, they believed the rent is too high and the one bedroom apartments her parents came across were too cramp. More importantly they feared for their daughter's safety if her uality were exposed. It was easy to be careless in Toronto as opposed to being timid and reserved in Korea. But Seungwan didn't care what others thought she loved Joohyun and wanted to show it. If that meant that her parents abandoned her then that was what she had to live with.

 

The following night Seungwan and Yoo Jung Ahn attended the Toronto Christmas Market event to browse through wood carvings, hand-made ornaments, and listen to brass bands. Seungwan felt no better feeling than the feeling of being back home but she couldn't help but wonder what Joohyun was up to. She hated to be the person who checked her phone very few seconds but she couldn't resist.

 

This was the first serious relationship of Seungwan's life and it was thrilling and exciting and they were committed to spending their lives together.

 

Yoo Jung Ahn stood back and endured a holiday season filled with Seungwan saying, "I think Joohyun will like that! Or Joohyun said this!"

 

She was happy for her best friend and as Friday, December 27th arrived and it was enviable that Seungwan had to fly back to Seoul. Yoo Jung Ahn accompanied her to the airport to say her farewell for now conscious of the fact that Seungwan had someone special waiting for her in Korea.