Chapter 22: Same As It Never Was, Part 2

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Joohyun heard the alarm buzz at 5:30am and found Seungwan's side of the bed empty. Her Mac Book Pro was missing too. A light from the living room was filtering into the bedroom so Joohyun stretched before she left the bed.

 

Seungwan was sitting at the dining room table with a box of tissues placed next to her. She was sniffling and yanking a tissue out of the box after disposing another. As Joohyun got closer she realized it was what she feared as the email from Margaux was displayed on the screen.

 

Joohyun hesitated for a minute worried how she should assess the situation. She knew Seungwan had every right to keep in contact with her ex-girlfriend.  Margaux was part of Seungwan's life before Joohyun came along and maybe this would bring both parties some closure. But Joohyun felt a sting of jealously flow throughout her body knowing that her fiancee left their bed to converse with a woman who disregarded her and treated her horribly.

 

"Hey Hyunnie you are awake, would you like me to make you something to eat before you leave for work," Seungwan turned in the chair somewhat blocking the screen.

 

Joohyun was staring off into the distance but jumped when Seungwan spoke, "No that is okay. I am going to shower but I was wondering why you were awake this early because you are still recovering from the flu?"

 

Joohyun crossed her arms while directing a stern look at her fiancee.

 

Seungwan gulped and her cheeks turned red, "It is the strangest thing but you know how we were discussing my last relationship while I was living in Canada. The French art student named Margaux, well she sent me an email last night, apologizing for the way our relationship ended and how she acted during it. She came out to her parents which is something she hid from them while living aboard and she is in a stable relationship with a female street musician."

 

Joohyun was fiddling with her fingers listening the entire time until she was relieved to hear the ending. It wasn't as if she had any doubts that Seungwan loved her with all of her heart but the relationship lasted two years and they had yet to make it to the one year mark.

 

Seungwan observed the nervousness Joohyun presented and stood up and took hold of her hands.

 

"I don't know what is going on in that pretty head of yours but I love you and no one else," Seungwan finished by pressing her forehead to Joohyun's.

 

A single tear fell from Joohyun's eye as she made eye contact with Seungwan and said, "I know you love me Wannie and I am grateful that you are able to close that chapter in your life."

 

Seungwan cupped her face and leaned in for a soft slow kiss. When they broke apart, Seungwan rubbed her fiancee's arms and said, "Now go get ready for work and I will be home waiting for your return."

 

Joohyun gave her a warm smile before heading to the bathroom. Seungwan's phone blinked with a new voicemail she played the message it was from Heechul, the executive chef at Seoul National University Hospital. He was inquiring about a job interview today at 1pm if she was available. Seungwan decided she would wait until Joohyun left the condo before she responded back. She hated keeping secrets from her fiancee but she couldn't find it in herself to return to work at the airport. Maybe for a week or so until the paperwork clears at the hospital but once a cooking position opens there, she is gone.

 

If it wasn't for the heavy medication she was taking for her sickness then she was sure she would endure sleepless nights. Her wonderful goddess of a fiancee fought so hard for her to keep her job and here she was throwing it away. The guilt chipped away at her conscience piece by piece.

 

"What are you thinking about?," Joohyun exited the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her waist and she was drying her hair with another.

 

Seungwan was staring out of the window when Joohyun appeared. Seungwan reached her hand to take Joohyun's and said, "Just how much I am going to miss you today." She placed a kiss on the back of her hand and released it.

 

Joohyun smiled as she went to the bedroom to change into her work clothes. The blow dryer was heard in the background as Seungwan went to the kitchen to fix a vegetable omelet for her bunny.

 

"Everything will work out in the end and she will be upset at first but over time she will understand," Seungwan thought to herself as she chopped the vegetables. She was flipping the omelet in the stir-fry pan when Joohyun appeared putting silver hoop earrings in each ear.

 

"How do I look?," she spun around for Seungwan to look at her from head to toe. She was wearing a gray turtleneck sweater, black dress pants, and a black men's blazer.

 

"Beautiful as always," Seungwan placed a light kiss on Joohyun's lips. 

 

"Okay where did I put my briefcase?," Joohyun was looking around and patting her jacket pockets. "Where are my car keys, too?"

 

Seungwan giggled and stopped Joohyun from ramsacking the condo by holding her by the shoulders. 

 

"Baby calm down and take a deep breath. I will help you search for your keys and briefcase but don't panic," Seungwan was trying to look Joohyun in her eyes but Joohyun directed her eyes to the floor in embarrassment but she nodded her head in agreement.

 

"Your keys are on the coffee table and your briefcase is right by the door where you left it before we were suspended."

 

Both women looked at each other before they burst into laughter.

 

"I would never imagine being suspended from my place of employment," Joohyun remarked but noticed Seungwan frown. She walked close to Seungwan and caressed her cheek.

 

"I don't blame you for this I actually blame myself for not reporting Seungri months ago for harassment like Seulgi suggested," Joohyun said. "Then things won't have escalated like they did but the past is the past so why dwell on it?"

 

"I would punch him all over again if it meant that you were safe at work," Seungwan kissed her fiancee's palm before she drew her into a long passionate kiss on the lips.

 

"I wish I didn't have to work but if I don't leave now then I won't clock in on time and I don't want to upset Boss Chaerin anymore," Joohyun went to the kitchen to grab a protein bar from the cabinet above the stove and a bottled water from the refrigerator.

 

"But I made you a veggie omelet to eat?," Seungwan pouted and Joohyun giggled before she kissed her goodbye.

 

Joohyun was halfway out the door when she turned around and said, "Make me something special for dinner instead and I want you to stay in bed and drink plenty of fluids."

 

She blew her fiancee a kiss before she locked the door.

 

Seungwan browsed her phone before she stopped at Taehyung's number on her contact list.

 

"How did the interview go at Korea University?," she typed before she put the omelet on a plate and switched the TV on to the NHL network counting down the hours until her job interview.

 

 

Hyojin woke with a throbbing headache from the three bottles of Soju she drank to wash down the takeout food. She fell asleep on the couch with Hani laying right next to her. She jumped from the realization and leaped off of the couch. She lifted her oversized tee and released a sigh of relief when she saw her were still on. Sometimes Hani could be a ert so Hyojin didn't put it pass her to take advantage of her while she was drunk. 

 

LE's phone ding with a new message from an unknown number saying, "This is your last chance as your shift starts at 10am."

 

Hyojin read it again before it sank in that it was Hoseok contacting her as she deleted his number yesterday. She wanted to typed back that he needed to show some respect to her for doubting her for she was the next star in the making. He all the time about becoming a famous rapper even suggesting that it was nothing more than a fantasy.

 

"Yeah but I received a call back to the next round while he is grinding some  coffee beans," she scoffed.

 

She walked to her bedroom and opened the door to the closet and took the new fuchsia pink dress she just purchased and held in up to her body.

 

"All the haters especially Hoseok will be eating their words soon enough," she smiled to herself.

 

"Who are you talking to?," Hani appeared in her doorway with her arms crossed.

 

"No one I can't wait for my next audition," LE walked to hang her dress back in her closet.

 

"I can't wait to see you in that y dress," Hani said while doing her lesbian goggles gesture again.

 

Hyojin playfully slapped her arms and replied, "C'mon Hani I didn't have breakfast yet and you are going to make me hurl."

 

"You know how I am? I always pay a beautiful woman a compliment," Hani shrugged her shoulders. "Besides we are more like sisters so you have nothing to worry about." Hyojin exited the room heading toward the kitchen with Hani right behind her.

 

"I hope so after we both woke up on the couch," Hyojin inserted an English muffin in the toaster.

 

"I am sure you did your test and found that I am not a threat," Hani the Keurig and grabbed a mug from the mug stand.

 

Hyojin blushed in embarrassment for doubting her friend's intentions but LE is pretty sure she is the first person to spend the night with Hani that didn't involve .

 

"So what are your plans for the day? You want to accompany me to this underground rap group I am filming their first music video?," Hani waited while she sipped her coffee. Eyeing Hyojin from the behind the mug.

 

"Thanks but I think I will return to the airport until things pick up with the auditions," Hyojin was buttering her toast.

 

"I think that is a great idea and you need to find a way to pay your share of the rent," Hani replied and Hyojin threw her a shock look. "We are friends and all but life as an independent film maker isn't very stable and work dries up from time to time so a little financial help would be appreciated."

 

Hyojin swallowed the lump in as she wasn't looking for a free ride but now she would do anything to become famous. She never envisioned she would be 27 years old, kicked out of her apartment and now rooming with one of her friends until she puts her life back together.

 

"No problem just give me a week to come up with the money," Hyojin pleaded.

 

Hani laughed, "Hyojin calm down this isn't a drug deal, I only want confirmation that I won't be responsible for all of the bills. Pay me when you are ready but I think it is great that you reconsidered quitting the airport. You are making the right decision."

 

Hyojin faked a smile as she made her way to the bathroom and shut the door forcing herself to return to the airport and life as a barista.

 

 

Joohyun pulled into her reserved parking spot and noticed Seulgi and Namjoon's cars were there but so was Boss Chaerin's Lexus. Joohyun sighed as she exit her car, "Might as well face the consequences now."

 

She opened the double doors and set her briefcase down in the office. The kitchen staff was rushing from one end to the other. Joohyun assumed there must be a huge catering event scheduled as Nancy and Hyebin were pulling food out of the oven and wrapping dishes with plastic wrap before running out of the kitchen.

 

Joohyun wasn't surprised as it was to be expected without the Catering Chef (her fiancee) around to help that the kitchen was thrown into chaos.

 

"Oh Miss Joohyun I want to introduce you to our new Market Bar Cook," Namjoon tapped Joohyun on the shoulder and she turned around to see a young decent looking guy standing next to Namjoon. "This is Amber Liu and today is her first day."

 

"Oh nice to meet you," Joohyun blushed feeling guilty for mistaking the young lady for the wrong gender.

 

Amber blushed in return and extended her hand to shake and said, "Nice to meet you also and I hope to meet the standards that Kompass requires."

 

Joohyun held back from laughing because what standards would that be? Seungri spent time in jail, Seungwan punched a coworker, and 3 employees are returning from suspension today.

 

"Well Amber I must excuse myself as I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on," Joohyun turned her back and went to her office door but she swore she caught Amber taking one last look at her before Namjoon ushered her back to work.

 

"Oh no not this time," Joohyun thought as she had it with the Market Bar cooks lusting after her. If Amber wanted to be bold and approach her she would gladly show her 3 carat engagement ring and make it clear she is off limits. 

 

"What is it with people and this airport? Can't they find a partner some other way?," Joohyun slammed her files on her desk in frustration.

 

Seulgi knocked on her door, "Back from suspension, what was it like? Couldn't be bad I mean wasn't it like an unplanned vacation?"

 

Joohyun shot her a dirty look, "Without pay."

 

Seulgi leaned in the doorway, "Oh yeah that....."

 

She stepped into the office and shut the door, "Did you see Boss Chaerin's car in the parking lot?"

 

Joohyun shook her head "yes" and said, "I figured she was assigning new buildings for Joy, Taehyung, and me to work in for now on."

 

Seulgi came closer and lower her voice, "Well yes that and someone sent her a threatening text message with a photo attached but no one knows who sent it and what was in the photo. So she is making the rounds from building to building interrogating every employee. I hate to tell you this but Joy, Taehyung, Seungwan, and you are at the top of her list. And Hyojin for some reason as she agreed to stay on as a barista."

 

Joohyun clenched her fists and remarked, "If I threatened Boss Chaerin then I wouldn't have returned to work today. And I don't believe any of us would take a chance of being terminated after we were suspended. I literally begged Minho to let Seungwan keep her job as the Catering Chef. How foolish would that be if I threatened management in return."

 

Seulgi shrugged her shoulders, "I believe you Joohyun, I am just forewarning you that Boss Chaerin is watching you and everyone else very closely."

 

"The only person I could think of who would blackmail her is Seungri," Joohyun leaned in her chair tapping her chin with her pointer finger.

 

"You think?," Seulgi seemed puzzled by the accusation.

 

"Why wouldn't it be? He was arrested which resulted in his termination so he stormed in here the next day spreading his hate speech. Blaming everyone else for his mistakes and he received a beat down from a female," Joohyun snickered at that and Seulgi chuckled too. "Let's not forget he hated women especially women in charge. He is the only person I can think of who would stoop so low."

 

Seulgi was shaking her head and replied, "See Joohyun this is why you are my best friend because you help me put certain situations into perspective. I was ready to write off Seungri from our lives but he has nothing to lose and if he wanted to he could file a lawsuit against Kompass."

 

Joohyun knew her best friend wanted to add and Seungwan too but stopped herself for the stake of her friend. 

 

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that," Joohyun clicked the power button on her computer as Seulgi exited her office but as Seulgi opened the door she caught a glimpse of Amber walking to the shelf of hotel pans and staring directly into her office. 

 

"When will it end," Joohyun said under her breath before she shut her door.

 

 

Boss Chaerin eyed Hyojin's arrival at the coffee kiosk occupying one of the seats in the gallery trying to stay out of sight. "With her smart mouth I wouldn't put it pass her to threaten me." She reread the text before she slipped her phone in her handbag and let her heels click over to the coffee kiosk.

 

"You will be paid for today because I never took you off payroll," Hoseok reassured Hyojin who seemed flustered from the moment CL appeared.

 

"Is everything in order and running smoothly over here?," CL cocked her eyebrow staring at Hyojin. "If I am not mistaken didn't you hand in your resignation last week?"

 

Hyojin felt beads of sweat form on her forehead, "Yes madam but Hoseok convinced me to reconsider so I rescinded my notice."

 

Boss Chaerin studied Hyojin before replying, "I usually don't allow my supervisors and managers to grant another chance at employment because from my experience that employee somehow sabotages their second chance if you want to put it like that."

 

Hyojin gulped and pretended to be cleaning the milk pitchers. She knew CL didn't care for her especially after she had some words with her in her office but this was excruciating. She would only leave a second time if the auditions went in her favor as she couldn't afford to quit.

 

"I have a question for you, Hyojin am I right?," CL walked to the other side of the counter so she could stand next to Hyojin. "Have you ever blackmailed someone via text message or email?"

 

Hyojin shut off the water in the sink, dried her hands with a paper towel, and faced CL with her arms crossed.

 

"Just what are you implying?," Hyojin kept her voice firm. She was grateful she had a job to come back to but she didn't sign up for a witch hunt. She heard what happen to Seungri and was glad his nasty erted self was gone but if that meant that she was going to be public enemy number one then forget about it.

 

"Are you accusing me because of what I told you about my home life?," Hyojin asked with a little aggression in her voice. Her relationship with her family was complicated but that didn't give Boss Chaerin the right to hang it over her head.

 

"Well your family has a reputation for breaking the law and blackmailing qualifies as one of those offenses," CL pointed her finger near Hyojin's face.

 

Hyojin tried to keep herself composed but CL was testing the limits of her patience. Hyojin took a deep breath and continued, "I don't know what I am being accused of but if you want to file a report with the police department and obtain a warrant then the authorities can freely search my tablet and phone."

 

"Fair enough, maybe I will look into that if you claim to be as innocent as you say," CL her heel and exited the kiosk.

 

Hoseok approached Hyojin who turned her back to him to finish rinsing out the pitchers at the sink.

 

"Hyojin I swear to you I had no idea she was going to interrogate you," Hoseok pleaded with his hands together like he was praying.

 

"Whatever it is over for now," Hyojin kept her face from Hoseok's sight because she was sick of the liars and frauds Kompass seemed to employ for upper management.

 

"Just a bunch of phonies," Hyojin mumbled as Hoseok went to the register to wait on a group of engineers.

 

 

Joy pulled up to a smaller building on the west end of the airport. The parking lot was pretty deserted and it seem quiet compared to the hustle and bustle of the main building. She arrived at 8am to find Boss Chaerin standing at the time clock to greet her and Taehyung. Just like Joy predicted Taehyung was staying put at the main building and Joy would be transferred.

 

Boss Chaerin gave her the address of the building written on a post-it note because Joy had no idea where this building was located. CL added that the cafeteria at Building 10 had fewer employees and business there was slower, as if saying in not many words that there was slim chance Joy could cause trouble.

 

"Maybe if Kompass didn't employ future offenders than they wouldn't have a problem," Joy felt like saying in response but kept her opinion to herself.

 

"I am curious have either of you ever considered blackmailing your boss or a manager," CL blurted out.

 

Joy and Taehyung looked at each other completely taken off guard by the question.

 

"Are you being blackmailed?," Joy boldly asked and Taehyung poked her side as she faced him to see him plead with his eyes to stop.

 

"Me? No I was asking for a friend," CL almost stuttered not expecting Joy to asked her that. "Well I have some business to attend to at the coffee kiosk." CL left the couple as she walked through the swinging door.

 

"Did you delete those photos from your phone?," Taehyung panicked the minute CL was out of sight.

 

Joy crossed her arms, "What do you think I am blackmailing our boss with the photos I took? (Taehyung was growing impatient with his girlfriend delaying an answer) Joy faked a shocked reaction as she clutched her hand to her chest. "Yes I still have the pictures on my phone but only you and I know. Besides they were making out in a public place so I assume we weren't the only couple to see them that day."

 

Taehyung shook his head in agreement before they were interrupted by Chef Namjoon approaching the couple to introduce the new Market Bar cook. Joy played nice and greeted Amber but thought, "What does it matter I will work in another building."

 

Joy turned to leave but was stopped when Taehyung grabbed her arm.

 

"Let me know if anyone at Building 10 gives you any trouble and I will handle it."

 

Joy gave her boyfriend a warm smile and replied, "Thanks for the suggestion but I can handle it myself and it isn't as if every employee throughout the airport wasn't aware of the person Seungri was. I wouldn't doubt it that staff at the Main Building were the only people he tormented."

 

"Yeah you may be right but call me before you do or say something you might regret later," Taehyung said in a firm tone.

 

"Wow coming from my own boyfriend that hurts," Joy smirked before she gave Taehyung's hand a squeeze. "I think I should leave now and start my shift at Building 10 as they are expecting me by now."

 

"It is going to be strange going to the cafe for break and not seeing you at the registers," Taehyung pouted.

 

"Excuse me but didn't you tease me for being dramatic and you pointed out that we will see each other at home," Joy lightly brushed her lips against his and swayed her hips to the loading dock doors.

 

Taehyung was blushing as he was catching his breath when he felt his phone ding in his pocket.

 

"How did the interview at Korea University go?," from Seungwan.

 

Taehyung put his phone back in his pocket as he returned to his work table. He called Seungwan two days ago to seek her advice on finding employment outside of the airport. He was riddled with guilt about leaving Joy alone but his reputation was tarnished. He signed all the necessary paperwork when he was hired saying that he understood and would abide by the policies and procedures that Kompass enforced including the dating policy. Only to break it.

 

Seungwan advised Taehyung to give the kitchen a try and see what the work atmosphere was like once he returned from suspension. But Seungwan admitted she also applied to hospitals, restaurants, and school institutions as a back-up plan.

 

Taehyung was flipping through the recipe book when he saw from the corner of his eye Nancy and Hyebin looking at him and covering their mouths with their hands while whispering and giggling. His hands were shaking as he shut the book and excuse himself for a glass of water. Nancy and Hyebin turned back to their work table as he passed them on his way through the swinging door.

 

Namjoon and Amber stopped and stared, feeling confused before they continued carving the pork loin.

 

Amber had a hard time concentrating after Namjoon introduced her to Miss Joohyun. She believed Miss Joohyun was the most beautiful woman she ever saw. The introduction was short but Amber could have sworn she saw a diamond ring on Miss Joohyun's finger which wouldn't be surprising as it was impossible for a woman with her looks to stay single for long. But something inside Amber said maybe the ring was just a piece of jewelry and it never hurt to ask.

 

Namjoon noticed that Amber was spacing out.

 

"Hey we have been working nonstop since you clocked in, how about we take a 15 minute break. Does that sound good?"

 

Amber smiled and replied yes as she now found herself standing in front of Miss Joohyun's office door. She was fiddling with her fingers turning to leave and stopping and walking back. She knocked but winced as it was a spur of the moment reaction.

 

"Come in," Joohyun said from the other side of the door.

 

Amber opened the door slowly and peeked her head in. "Um Miss Joohyun I don't mean to disturb you but I was wondering something?" She paused too afraid to finish and intimidated by the ice cold stare she was receiving.

 

A few seconds of silence passed before Joohyun spoke up, "Do you want to ask me anything because if not I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on."

 

Amber was swaying side to side, running her fingers through her short hair. A habit of hers when she was nervous. "Well if you aren't busy sometime this week would you like to grab some drinks?"

 

Joohyun cocked a brow and was a little agape. It felt like deja vu like when Seungri would stand in her doorway trying to flirt with her. But Amber came across as a decent person who seemed sincere. Joohyun didn't want to embarrass the new hire but she didn't want things to escalate either.

 

"I would love to get drinks" (Amber's face lit up) "Can I bring my fiancee with?" (Amber's expression dropped)

 

"Your fiancee sure he can come too."

 

Joohyun giggled, "My fiancee is a she."

 

Amber turned red, "Oh yeah yeah she can come too, well the plans aren't definite but I will let you know when everything is finalized." Amber stumbled out of the office trapping over her own feet. Joohyun chuckled at her clumsiness.

 

"Speaking of my fiancee let me call and check on her," Joohyun dialed the number and held the phone to her ear.

 

 

Seungwan told the Uber driver to take her to 28 Yeon Gun and stared in awe of the tall building right outside the car window.

 

She read the description online and found out the hospital housed close to 1,650 beds. This would be a challenge for Seungwan as she never cooked in the healthcare field but she was always up for a challenge. It wasn't that long ago that she tried her hand at cooking for the staff at the airport so how hard could a hospital be.

 

She read the text sent by Heechul that said take the elevator to the ground level and make a left past the gift shop. She spotted the sign by the elevator that read main cafeteria. She walked up to the nearest cashier and asked for Heechul but was told to take a seat in the meantime. Seungwan hoped the interview wouldn't drag on so she had enough time to make it back to the condo before Joohyun arrived home. 

 

"Hyunnie is going to be so angry when she finds out," Seungwan thought. 

 

A effeminate looking man with chin length hair asked the cashier who was looking for him and she pointed to Seungwan.

 

He smiled as he approached her table, "Hi my name is Heechul and I am the Executive Chef. It is great to finally meet you. I was really impressed with your resume and I hope you will be joining our staff. Well enough of the chitchat, let me show you around."

 

He led her to a door that he swiped his ID badge to open it. "If you decide to work with us you will need a badge to swipe in and out of the kitchen. (Seungwan nodded as she listened) "We take our work here very seriously and we abide by the laws of HIPAA."

 

Seungwan swallowed the lump in as she recalled how she broke the rules put in place at the airport. But now it was time to push the reset button and find a permanent career in Korea.

 

"Here is our serving line where the food orders from the patients room are processed through our call center and reported to the cook through the printer," Heechul directed her to a serving line with a cook on one side and delivery women and men on the other who put the utensils on the trays and once the timer went off, they scanned each ticket before exiting through two double doors into the hallway.

 

"We set each timer to 7 minutes before delivering every tray," Heechul explained. "The cook has a responsibility to record the temperatures and follow all of the proper cooking procedures. Have you ever cooked in healthcare before?"

 

Seungwan was taking notes on her tablet, "No this would be my first time."

 

Heechul laughed and patted her on the back, "That's okay! You will catch on quickly especially with your background. Do you have any questions?"

 

"No I think you explained everything in the email from 401k to time off to health insurance," Seungwan said looking over the email.

 

Heechul ushered Seungwan into his office and she sat across from his desk, "I don't want to pressure you but my boss is looking for a replacement as soon as the end of this week. So go home take some time and think it over."

 

He stood up to shake her hand, "You have my number and I have yours."

 

"Thank you showing me around and I will keep in contact," Seungwan smiled and shook his hand before she made her way to the elevators. Her phone started buzzing as she put it on vibrate she saw the time said 2:12pm. Joohyun was calling.

 

"Hey babe, how's work?" Seungwan said in her most cheerful voice hoping Joohyun wouldn't hear the background noise.

 

"It isn't bad but I am more concerned with how you are doing," Joohyun was typing on the computer as Seungwan could hear the keys clicking on her side of the line. "Did you sleep at all?"

 

Seungwan was about to answer when she jumped from the loud siren of an ambulance driving up to the entrance of the emergency room.

 

"Are you outside? I told you to stay in bed, c'mon Wannie how do you expect to recover?" Joohyun released a sigh.

 

Seungwan panicked to come up with an explanation.

 

"I stepped outside on the balcony when I heard the ambulance and I wanted to see what the commotion was."

 

Joohyun paused before she said, "I must say that is the loudest siren I have ever heard but I wanted to let you know I am staying late tonight as there is a lot of paperwork and requests to complete."

 

Seungwan felt her heart dropped, she hated how Joohyun overworked herself and she burdened the blame for her fiancee falling behind.

 

"But what is done is done," Seungwan thought.

 

"You continue to get rest and forget cooking me something special for dinner," Joohyun was shuffling some papers. "I will pick something up on the way home."

 

"Okay, I miss you," Seungwan whined and Joohyun laughed but replied, "I miss you too but I have to go, love you bye."

 

"Love you bye," Seungwan ended the call right on time as her ride pulled up and she took one last look before entering the car thinking maybe a hospital is the right place to start her culinary career in Korea.

 

 

Joohyun was sorting through the inventory recipes when Boss Chaerin appeared in her doorway.

 

"Miss Joohyun it is nice to see you back at your desk working so dilligently," Boss Chaerin entered the office and shut the door.

 

There was an uneasy feeling that hung in the air.

 

"Is there anything I can help you with, Boss Chaerin?" Joohyun asked somewhat confused as to why CL was acting strange.

 

"This idea struck me for instant have you ever found yourself so upset with someone that you would resort to blackmail, let's say?" CL leaned close watching Joohyun's every movement.

 

Joohyun remembered how Seulgi mentioned she was on the list of suspects.

 

"No I can't say I felt the need to blackmail someone not even my own worse enemy," Joohyun started to tidy her desk hoping CL received the answer she was looking for and leave her office.

 

"What if let's say it would help you maintain a clean slate at work? What about then?" CL put her hands on her hips.

 

If Joohyun wasn't mistaken it seemed like Boss Chaerin was trying to pressure her into confessing to something she didn't do.

 

"Boss Chaerin, I have no idea what you are implying but I will testify in court that I am not blackmailing you or have I ever blackmailed any of my employers especially for personal gain," Joohyun kept her voice stern and her eyes never left CL. "Today is my first day back from suspension, I admit I disobeyed the rules and I served my punishment. The last thing I ever contemplated is threatening my employer."

 

Boss Chaerin released a long exhale and said, "Sorry I ever doubted you Miss Joohyun but given the circumstances I have every right to question the employees who were suspened. They would hold a grudge over the employees who weren't punished. But now it seems I have to question every employee. Thank you for your time Miss Joohyun. I assume you have a lot of work to finish so I will leave you to it." CL opened the door and left.

 

"Unbelievable and now I am wondering why I came back in the first place," Joohyun continued typing trying to finish her workload so she could see her fiancee before they had to turn in for the night.

 

 

Yeri selected a sophisticated outfit to match her newly dyed blonde hair. She twirled in front of  the mirror admiring her figure.

 

"Kim Yerim looking like a boss," she snickered.

 

Before she left her apartment she was scrolling through her photo gallery on phone but stopped when she came across the photos of CL and Namjoon snuggling out in the open for everyone to witness.

 

Yeri didn't have a problem with CL in fact she was grateful to learn the ins and outs of corporate cooking from an experience businesswoman like CL. But no matter how hard she tried to branch out on her own, her fellow colleagues made sure to always undermine her achievements and credit the influence of CL. 

 

Yeri only wanted to be recognized and applauded for all of her hardwork and dedication she gave to Kompass even at the tender age of 20. She was the only person out of all her friends who had so many accomplishments to brag about to her next employer. She would be making history if she took over the job title of District Manager. More importantly, CL appeared to be a hypocrite as she was carrying on a forbidden relationship with Chef Namjoon. Yeri didn't see what the big deal was about dating in the work place but it wasn't fair that CL skipped punishment.

 

"That's about to change," Yeri said under her breath as she moved 4 of the photos to the message screen and wrote, "NOW WHO HAS THE UPPERHAND???"

 

She smirked before deleting the photos and putting the phone in her handbag before she started her shift at the airport.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: Sorry if it seemed like a long wait but I didn't forget about this story and I have an ending in place so this story will be completed. I am currently focusing on Chapter 5 for Torn In Two as it seems a lot of readers love angst which I am finding out is difficult to write but I hope to finish every story I write. Thank you for your patience.