Chapter 7: The Overwhelming Anticipation

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Yoo Jung Ahn was in the middle of steaming a Chai tea latte for the last customer of the breakfast service when she saw a flash of blue rush into the coffee shop and straight to the back room. She could only assume it was Seungwan running behind this morning. Yoo Jung Ahn grinned to herself because Seungwan was never late for work so that could only mean that she was up late messaging Irene.

 

"Sorry I lost track of time and before I knew it I have less than 5 minutes to clock in but it won't happen again," Seungwan managed to say while catching her breath.

 

She was having a hard time tieing her apron so Yoo Jung Ahn came up behind her and adjusted the knot to stay for her.

 

"It's not a big deal besides it is the end of the week so business is dwelling, I managed it fine by myself," Yoo Jung Ahn said with a smile.

 

"I am guessing here you can tell me if I am wrong but you were running behind this morning because you spoke to Irene right?" Yoo Jung Ahn said nudging Seungwan's arm.

 

Seungwan blushed and cast her eyes to the floor and whispered, "Yeah I was."

 

Yoo Jung Ahn jumped and clapped her hands and shouted, "That is wonderful Seungwan! See not everyone has a bad experience! Sometimes you just have to know where to look and who to talk to!"

 

"Feeling proud of yourself for shouting this early in the morning? And yes you were right it is time to move on and start over," Seungwan said.

 

"Quick question, how is exactly is this relationship going to work? Are you going to travel to Korea? Or is she flying out to Toronto?" Yoo Jung Ahn scratched her head as she was thinking out loud.

 

"I suggested that she could visit me in Toronto since there is so much to do here. I want to show her everything this city has to offer and let's be realistic Canada is more accepting of gay culture so we won't have to hide our affection for each other," Seungnwan explained.

 

"Oh I am aware of this Seungwan! I can't believe you want to move there and my friend Hyebin told me that the men are so misogynistic. At her work place men discuss the lewd acts they want to do to women out in the open and no one bats an eyelash," Yoo Jung Ahn walked to Seungwan and placed a hand on her shoulder and continued, "I say all of this not to scare you but I hope you did your research on South Korea before you permanently relocate. Besides who will listen to my problems and offer me great advice? And the coffee shop will feel empty without your lively presence every day."

 

Seungwan rubbed Yoo Jung Ahn's hand as she slowly let go and put it back at her side.

 

"I am going to miss you too! Of course you are my confidante! It will be hard adjusting to a life where we are on opposite sides of the Atlantic. But not to change the subject but I suggested to Joohyun which is her name not Irene to take a vacation in Toronto with me. What do you think?" Seungwan exclaimed almost shrieking at the end.

 

"Okay not to get off topic but yikes the volume of your voice and you complained that I was shouting earlier," Yoo Jung Ahn said while digging her finger in her ear as Seungwan rolled her eyes.

 

"Well now that I have regained my hearing I must say that I am thrilled that you have your confidence back to persuade her to visit Canada on your home turf and I hope that she can before you make the move. Who knows maybe she will like it here and want to stay?" Yoo Jung Ahn said with a devilish grin on her face.

 

"I don't think so, she doesn't know how to speak English at least I think she doesn't I haven't asked her. Also I did my research on Kompass which is a huge company and anyone who holds a management position earned it through hard work and would be a fool to give it up. Just like you said it is a misogynistic environment in Korea so I could only imagine the harassment and ridicule Joohyun and other women like her face daily," Seungwan said deep in thought.

 

"So there is no changing your mind and I am going to lose my best friend and coworker in the process. Well I hope Dave knows that so he can start searching for your replacement even though you can't be replaced," Yoo Jung Ahn finished with a pout.

 

"C'mon it is only the beginning of August and I plan to move at the end of October so we have plenty of time to bond," Seungwan said as she made her way around the cash register and started to wipe tables.

 

 

Kompass was on the verge of filling the position of Catering Chef so for now the catering services were postponed.

 

It was 8am when Nancy clocked in thinking to herself, "What am I doing here if the job I was hired for doesn't exist?"

 

At that very moment Joy approached her and asked, "Are you Nancy?" Nancy shook her head yes.

 

"Good follow me I will show you how to operate the cash register my name is Joy by the way," Joy said leading her toward the swinging door to the cafeteria.

 

Nancy abruptly stopped when she heard that

 

. "Wait a second I was hired to assist the catering staff not retail," Nancy pouted.

 

Joy stood inches away from Nancy's face and said, "Welcome to Kompass. Aside from the confusion of your job title you will work as a catering aide I think it is called?"

 

Joy said with a shrug. "But until the Catering Chef position is filled you will spend your time assisting and working in the retail area at the front of the house," Joy finished with a smile.

 

If looks could kill then Joy would be six feet under from the death glare that Nancy was giving her right now.

 

"Listen I am only following instructions so if you disagree with this arrangement then take it up with Miss Seulgi or Miss Joohyun or better yet Boss Chaerin." Joy finished as she spun around to refill the napkin dispensers that were placed at every table.

 

"Great working side by side with another visually beautiful woman like Joy," Nancy thought to herself.

 

"Who is going to take all of the attention away from me based on her height alone. How am I ever going to date an engineer or chef for that  matter when there are so many visually stunning women working here. And take my complaint to Joohyun? Yeah right she despises me. I should have kept it to myself about the Love Without Borders app but I was curious to see if she found someone on there because she is beautiful and maybe I would find someone soon too."

 

At that very moment Joohyun walked through the swinging door and her eyes met Nancy, she gave a little grin but her eyes were blank. "Yeah I don't think I will make it past the 90 day trial," Nancy thought as she gulped.

 

Joohyun made her way over to the coffee kiosk where one of the engineers was waiting for her drink while Hyojin was freestyling a rap and pushing the steam button on the espresso machine to provide a beat for her song. "I like the way you pink it/ Everybody knows/ Hot Pink/Hot Pink/...nahanaha."

 

"Hyojin we all know you are talented but please stay focused and perform the job you were hired to do," Joohyun said trying not to laugh at the spectacle. Hyojin gave the engineer her drink before the woman scurried off.

 

"Miss Joohyun you don't understand this is my day job not my career I am a rapper first excuse me rapstress. If this is what Hoseok wants to do for the rest of his life then more power to him but eventually I have to press on," Hyojin finished while throwing up the peace sign.

 

Joohyun understood maybe half of what Hyojin said but replied, "Hyojin listen for the time that you are employed with Kompass could you possibly clock in at the time you are scheduled to work," Joohyun said.

 

"Whoa let me explain," Hyojin interrupted but Joohyun put her hand up to stop her.

 

"I know Hoseok should be giving you this speech but you need to focus on keeping your line short not to let the customers linger especially the engineers. I would be lying if I said I didn't receive phone calls and emails complaining of the service provided at this kiosk."

 

 "They are just stuck-up and don't know talent when they see and hear it. Just jealous." Hyojin said with her arms crossed.

 

"When you are through with your tantrum I would like a Chai tea latte and not too much foam," Joohyun said.

 

Hyojin shook her head yes and turned around to make her drink. As Joohyun waited at the counter she overheard Joy explaining the rules and policies to Nancy.

 

"As of recently Kompass is conducting an investigation into theft throughout the cafes in the airport,"Joy said.

 

"What like stealing money from the cash register?" Nancy asked.

 

"Yes that and merchandise especially bottled drinks and bags of chips, this occur because of an ex-employee named Hwayoung who got caught stealing but not before she abruptly quit. I mean I could tell she was stealing from the size of the bookbag she bought into work with her. For instance when she arrived her bag was as flat as a rug but by the time she was getting ready to clock out her bag was as big as a parachute."

 

Joohyun chuckled when she overheard Joy said that. Joohyun remembers that Hwayoung girl and let's just say she is glad she no longer works at Kompass. Seulgi would like to wipe her from her memory more than Joohyun.

 

Hwayoung filed a complaint accusing mostly the female staff of bullying her. The claim was dismissed because Hwayoung kept changing her story. Between Seungri and Hwayoung's lies Seulgi wondered how she managed to plan a wedding this year.

 

 

 

There was a light knock on the door to CL's office.

 

"Come in," came a stern voice. Joohyun opened the door a crack and peeked in to find CL sitting behind her desk typing away on her laptop.

 

"Oh Joohyun I am sorry did we have an appointment that I forgot about?" CL asked with worry written across her face.

 

"Um no not today but I decided to pay you a visit to give you this," Joohyun said as she extended her arm with a piece of paper in her hand.

 

She placed the paper on CL's desk as CL had a blank expression on her face.

 

"How do I start this?" CL said by placing her finger to her chin trying to find the words to say.

 

"I will take full responsibility for the lack of employees, loss of revenue, and well let's be honest the complete show the kitchen has evolved into."

 

Joohyun furrowed her brows trying to figure out where CL was going with this but she knew better than to interrupt her.

 

"You are probably saying to yourself that you heard this all before but Joohyun believe me when I say I am searching for a Catering Chef who has all of the qualifications Kompass requires. Now I hope I convinced you to resend your resignation letter," CL finished with a pleading look.

 

"What? Wait I am not resigning from my job. No this paper is asking your permission for time off in September starting the week of the 9th," Joohyun said.

 

"Oh...my mistake. I guess I should read the documents placed on my desk first before I shoot my mouth off," CL replied while her face redden from embarrassment.

 

CL pulled out her red Sharpie and checked yes and signed the bottom of the paper.

 

"I will ask Yeri to take your place while you are gone," CL said.

 

Joohyun went to the door and when she was about to open it CL said, "By the way Joohyun if there is anything that upsets you like working around men. You can always confide in me I will keep our conversation confidential."

 

"Okay Boss Chaerin I will keep that in mind," Joohyun said as she slipped out the door.

 

As she was walking back to her office she felt like doing a somersault if she knew how to do one. She was so eccastic and couldn't wait to speak to Seungwan tonight to tell her the great news. But what Joohyun didn't foresee is her day ending in tears.

 

 

 

"102," Seungwan said as she completed the last crunch for her morning workout.

 

She set her alarm to wake up a few minutes earlier than usual to take Joohyun's call and she wanted to be on time at the Early Bird Espresso & Brew Bar. She made her way to the desk in her bedroom and hit the on button on her laptop. She was putting the finishing touches on her job resume before the exhaustion kicked in and she fell asleep last night. Seungwan typed Kompass into the search bar and found plenty of job listings especially at the Incheon International Airport.

 

"I wonder if that is where Joohyun works well I will go ahead and send this through," Seungwan said to herself.

 

She clicked the Catering Chef listing and 20 jobs appeared on the screen from hospitals to universities.

 

"No I think I will stick with the airport. What was it, it said there Main Cafe okay." Seungwan read and sent her resume to that link.

 

She didn't want Joohyun to see her all sweaty a second time so she went to shower. Seungwan made sure to select her outfit a night in advance that she ironed and put in her closet on a hanger. She picked a long sleeved white blouse with black shorts and black 4 inch heels. After she was brushing her hair and arranging it into a low ponytail when the time on her alarm clock caught her attention.

 

"Okay I have enough time to talk a little longer today so I will call her," Seungwan said as she pushed the FaceTime button on her phone and waited.

 

By the 3rd ring Joohyun appeared on the screen with a tissue in her hand, she looked like she had been crying.

 

"Joohyun, what happen? Is everything alright? Did your boss reject your vacation request?" Seungwan went on and on racking her brain what to do.

 

"No it isn't that she gave me the week of September 9th off, I didn't even have to beg," Joohyun replied while giving a light blow of her nose into the tissue.

 

"Oh okay that's great! So why are you crying? Are they tears of joy?" Seungwan said smiling trying to make Joohyun laugh.

 

Joohyun chuckled a little and shifted her eyes downward.

 

"I mean it when I said you can vent to me anytime you need to," Seungwan said.

 

Joohyun didn't respond as she thought of the awful events that took place once she returned to her office.

 

As Joohyun shut the double doors to the loading dock she overheard Seungri describing to Namjoon all of the nasty things he would do to Joohyun and in explicit detail. He mentioned that they would have at her place because it would give him the opportunity to place a hidden camera in her bedroom so he can watch her when he is not with her. Namjoon venintly scolded Seungri for expressing his filthy thoughts and he mentioned that he was relieved that Joohyun wasn't within earshot to hear it. But Namjoon was mistaken because Joohyun appeared in the kitchen at the wrong time and heard everything.

 

Joohyun stood still as tears streaked down her face she thought, "Here I am lost in my own happiness completely clueless over the reality that a cook who I outrank can slander my name and I am defenseless because he is a man."

 

Joohyun was brought back to reality when a figure made their way around the corner it was Seungri he smiled and winked at her. She glared at him and rushed to her office where she stayed with the door locked for the rest of the day.

 

"If you don't want to talk about it that's okay just know I am always here to listen," Seungwan interrupted Joohyun's thoughts.

 

"Thank you Seungwan for being so sweet I didn't want you to see me like this," Joohyun pouted.

 

"Is it wrong to think you are beautiful when you are sad?" Seungwan said wiggling her brows.

 

Joohyun laughed and replied, "Not at all only if it is coming out of your mouth."

 

"So I wanted to get your opinion on my outfit today what do you think? Since you have such sophisticated style," Seungwan said.

 

"Please my style isn't sophisticated you should see me on my off days...." Joohyun trailed off because Seungwan slowly turned around to show Joohyun her entire outfit.

 

Joohyun was mesmerized by Seungwan's round plump in the black shorts. Joohyun swallowed and cleared , "Your outfit looks great but would you do me a favor?"

 

"Sure anything you ask," Seungwan replied.

 

"Wear those little black shorts for me in September," Joohyun said cocking her one brow.

 

Seungwan rolled her eyes, "Whatever makes you happy because I rather see you smile than cry."

 

Joohyun swifted her eyes downward again out of shame for appearing vulnerable in front of Seungwan.

 

"Hey I didn't mean it in a way to shame you, Joohyun," Seungwan pleaded. "I only want you to laugh feel comfortable around me I want you to look back on this moment with fondness not regret."

 

"So what are you implying that this relationship won't last?" Joohyun asked.

 

They stood silence for a second before they burst into laughter.

 

"Joohyun I wanted to ask you, you said you worked for Kompass and I was searching on FindJobs.com I saw job listings for Catering Chef I mean a lot in Korea. From universities to hospitals to the airport (Joohyun's eyes grew big at the last finding) so I sent my resume to the Main Cafe at the airport. Maybe you mentioned it before but are you employed at the airport? Or is it a university? Or hospital? Sorry my mind is all over the place with this relocation," Seungwan finished.

 

"I can't remember myself if I mentioned it to you but I am the Finance Manager at the Main Cafe at the Incheon International Airport." Joohyun revealed with a smile.

 

Seungwan's eyes bulge out and made a shape of a "o."

 

"Well what are the chances we will be able to work together? Like slim to none but I might as well try. It wouldn't hurt to see your gorgeous face everyday," Seungwan said that made Joohyun blush.

 

Seungwan was picking up her tote bag that she used for work, "Anyways I hate to end this call but it is time for me to leave." J

 

Joohyun pouted and whispered, "no."

 

"I am over the moon now that I know you are going to visit me in Canada. During my break at George's Restaurant I will text you the flight itinerary probably through Air Canada," Seungwan said with a laugh.

 

Joohyun laugh too feeling a weight lift off of her chest realizing that an impending departure out of Korea was coming.

 

"Get some rest, my gorgeous goddess," Seungwan said as she was walking down Queen Street in the direction of the coffee shop. Joohyun said her goodbye while blowing a kiss to Seungwan.

 

After both lines went dead, Joohyun found herself more determined than ever to put a plan in place that would make Boss Chaerin chose Seungwan for the Catering Chef position over anyone else.