Chapter 35: Seoul, 2019

Skylight
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]35.[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Seoul, 2019[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

“No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future.”

― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

[/CONTENTID3]

[CONTENTID4]

Jihye hates rain in the morning. 

The gray clouds, the humid air, she just hates it so much. It makes her shoes dirty and sometimes there’s dirt splashes on her legs. She doesn't really like wearing skirts or short pants but it’s really inconvenient to wear long pants or jeans in this kind of weather. 

Today Baekhyun will have his solo debut in a music show. Jihye already promised him that she’ll go even though her laziness is raging inside. She’s lucky to get a place right in front of  the stage. Jihye carefully takes out her Exo’s Lightstick so that it won’t mess up the small flower bouquet she bought earlier. 

Baekhyun will perform very last. She doesn’t really follow any new Kpop groups these days so there’s so many unfamiliar groups to her. But she enjoys the song nonetheless. After what feels like eternity, Baekhyun’s finally got on the stage. Jihye notices how his eyes scan the audience before stopping at her. He smiles and waves to the audiences. Jihye’s ear really feels like it's going to bleed from the constant screaming of the other people and Baekhyun smiling and waving makes the screaming worse. 

Jihye makes a heart with her hand and she can see that Baekhyun actually blush after seeing it. He then goes to the small stairs prop on the stage. And the music starts to play. “BYUN BAEKHYUN! CITY LIGHT! UN VILLAGE!” Jihye shouts along with his fans. It’s really her first time doing a fanchant like this. She’s a little embarrassed but whatever. No one knows who she is. “BYUN BAEKHYUN! CITY LIGHT! UN VILLAGE!”

Navigation 독서당어린이공원으로

누르고 엑셀을 밟아

나만 알고 있던 그곳은 now

모두가 올라가려 하겠지

어디서든지 everywhere, anywhere

얼마든지 보여

Girl we need to be romantic함이

필요한 시점이야

 

She cannot hide the wide smile on her face. She’s very proud of him. It’s really amazing to see how he has come this far. He used to be a very very awful dancer in her opinion but his hard work shows clearly today. Who would ever think that Byun Baekhyun can do body waves like that? Damn, he looks so y now. 

To her disappointment, the song comes to an end in a blink. She still wants to watch him perform. Seeing Baekhyun in his element is really addicting. Baekhyun bows to the audience and says thank you. Their eyes meet again. Jihye smiles at him and mouths, “I Love You B.”. He smiles even wider. Then he leaves the stages. 

Jihye hurriedly leaves the studio. Baekhyun asks her to come to his waiting room. At first she refused. It’s going to be so weird for her to come alone to his waiting room. But then Sehun said that she could come with him and the others. Then there she is, walking to Baekhyun’s waiting room between Sehun and Joonmyeon. 

“Why are you so quiet?” Sehun asks her. Jihye rolls her eyes. “Excuse me, I’m always quiet unlike you Oh Sehun-nim.” Jihye replies. Joonmyeon then puts his hands around her shoulder and gives it a calming squeeze. “Don’t be too nervous. It’ll be fine.” Joonmyeon says. How can he know that she’s nervous?

She has every right to be nervous right now. They are in a TV station and she walks between two Exo members. Even though they are wearing masks and hats, it’s still easy to recognize them. It’ll be thrilling to be photographed between them. “I’m just not really excited to debut in gossip’s portal.” 

“But you already did with me. Oh also when your father showed your face to the world years ago.” Sehun points out. “But that’s different.” Jihye whines. “How’s that different? Either way your face has been known to the public.” Sehun adds. Jihye smiles bitterly. She hates when this guy is correct. 

“Nothing will happen. Just relax Ji.” Joonmyeon says soothingly. He’s really an angel unlike Oh Sehun. Without her realizing, they are already in front of his waiting room. Jihye takes a deep breath. “Let’s go in. Baekhyun says that only Chanyeol and Kai are inside.”

Jihye nods. Taking a deep breath, Jihye opens the door of his waiting room. Baekhyun’s head wipes towards the door as soon as she enters. “BAEKHYUNIE!!! CONGRATS ON YOUR DEBUT!” Joonmyeon shouts as he enters the room. Jihye’s heart almost jumped out of her rib cage because of his voice. Joonmyeon hugs Baekhyun tightly but Baekhyun's eyes are glued to her. Sehun walks past her and congratulates his hyung. Baekhyun thanks them with a smile.

Jihye closes the door behind her. Baekhyun then walks toward her after his short celebration with s. He goes straight to hug her tight with a wide smile on his face. “Congratulations on your solo debut darling.” Jihye pulls away a little then puts a kiss on his right cheek. “For you.” She gives him the white and yellow daisies bouquet. Thank God the bouquet is still intact even after being in her bag for a long time. Baekhyun accepts it happily before going back to hug her tight. 

“Thank you Ji. Thanks for being here with me.” Baekhyun murmurs in her ear. She laughs airily. “Of course I’ll be here. I’ve missed too much.” Jihye says as she cups his face and pecks his lips lightly. Baekhyun mirrors her smile and dives for another kiss.

“Ahem. Can you stop each other's faces? It’s gross.” Jongin ruins the romantic moment in two sentences. Baekhyun bites his lips to hold his annoyance. Jihye giggles and gives him one last peck on his cheek before leaving him and walks to the group. 

Baekhyun pouts angrily and follows Jihye. She knows that he misses her. He’s so busy preparing his album that they barely met. So now she knows very well how he will stick at her side like a super glue. She doesn't need to wait very long to prove her intuition. Baekhyun stands beside her and puts his left arm on her hip. Jihye instinctively leans towards him.

After this he still has a ton of schedule he needs to go to. To be honest she wants to accompany him to his schedule but of course she can’t. So she wants to really spend this short time efficiently. 

They all then talk about his hectic schedule and how he wishes that he has them with him. Of course it will be scary to be on stage alone. Jihye really feels like a proud mama right now. He has come a long way. Jongin comments on how he did his body wave perfectly. Chanyeol reminds him how funny his movement was on the first try. Jihye remembers how Sehun and Jongin took turns to teach him how to do it and somehow, the SeKai version became a lot ier than the original choreo.

“I was really nervous before going up to the stage but I forgot about it because I was too excited after seeing Jihye’s in the crowd.” Baekhyun confesses. “I think I wouldn’t be able to do it without you. Thank you.” He says. Jihye looks up at Baekhyun who is watching her with a happy serene smile on his face. 

Jihye then wonders how it feels to be in his position. Standing on the stage under the spotlight with hundreds even thousands people watching. The future she’d have if Kim Taeyeon didn’t push her off the stairs. If she didn’t fall from that stair, would she be able to be with him like this? If she was the Idol Lee Jihye, would he fall for her?

The regrets and what if that is always constantly haunting her suddenly disappear. If she needs to fall from that damn stairs for a thousand times only to be with him like this, she’ll gladly do it. It is scary to realize how much you can do for a single person. 

She used to think that Taeyeon robbed her life but maybe, she needs to thank her for giving her the chance to be with

Please log in to read the full chapter