Chapter 20: Seoul, 2014

Skylight
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]20.[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Seoul, 2014[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Our souls are so in love

But our humans Keep getting in the way.

-Zack Grey- [/CONTENTID3]

[CONTENTID4]

“I really don’t understand you. I give you this comfortable life but why do you make it as if we don’t love you? You are such an ungrateful child!”

“I give you the best education, this luxurious life. What else do you want?” Her father desperately asks. Jihye looks her father straight in the eyes. “Is that your definition of a loving father?” Jihye asks; voice void of emotion. “Yes. As a parent I only want to give you the best. Even if I need to be hard on you, I want to make sure that you’ll have a good life.” Jihye has told herself millions of times that whatever her parents do and say is all for her. But if that is their kind of love, then she doesn’t want it at all.

“Are you sure that it’s not for your father? Are you sure everything you did for me is not for your reputation?” Jihye asks. For all she knows, her father only wants to showcase her like a trophy; just like how he did it to her older brother. Living in that 1% society, she should have expected this kind of life, especially as a woman. “Watch your mouth Lee Jihye!” He snaps at her.

“Then why do you want me to go to Stanford that much father? Why were you trying so hard to bury my accident?” Jihye asks. She finally gets the courage to confront her father. Her father doesn’t answer her. He only looks away from her; just as she expected. “You always told me a thousand times that I only bring shame to this family. You always remind me every day that I am nothing without the name and the money. You always say that I should be grateful to be born in this family.”

Jihye’s eyes were now b with tears. “I never asked to be born in this family. If I could choose, I would gladly choose not to be born at all.” Jihye says.

“You need to understand that everything is for you. Everything that I do is because you’re my daughter and I love you.” Her father says coldly. What a nice way to profess your love to your daughter. “And all you do is be an awful daughter.” With that, he left Jihye alone in the huge living room. Jihye tries to wipe her falling tears but no matter how hard she rubs her eyes, the tears only fall harder and harder. She just hates herself enough and every encounter with her father only makes it worse. She isn’t sure if she can withstand one more argument like this.

Years living in that cold mansion with her parents, she never once hears her father or mother say ‘I Love You’ to her. She never feels the warmth of her parents' hug. Even her brother seems like a stranger to her. In that family, Lee Jihye is never their priority.

***

“Do it or I’ll make your members suffer.”

“Baekhyun-ah!”

The person he hates the most right now is jogging towards him. He really doesn’t want to see her at all. Seeing her only makes him so angry and useless. Baekhyun ignores Taeyeon calls and keeps on walking.

“Byun Baekhyun!”

She calls him once again and Baekhyun still ignores her.

“YAH!”

Taeyeon yanks his hand and Baekhyun almost falls because of the sudden pull. He looks at her in anger. “What do you want?” he asks coldly. Now that she sees her again, she is no longer his beautiful sunbae. Is it even possible to lose respect for someone that easily?

“Please listen to me. Jihye told you something, didn’t she? Whatever she told you was a lie Baekhyun-ah. I never did that to her. I was walking with her and she slipped. I tried to help her but she always said that I was the one who pushed her.”

Baekhyun doesn’t show any expression. Slowly he grabs Taeyeon's hand that is grabbing his wrist tightly and pries her hand from his wrist. “Sunbae…” Baekhyun starts. “Even though Jihye was lying to me, I will always believe her.” Baekhyun stares at the woman in front of him with cold eyes.

“And, I really hate it that you and Mr. Kim decided to threaten me with Exo. Why me? Why do you have to do this to us?” Baekhyun asks. Taeyeon holds her hands together in front of her. “Let’s talk somewhere else, hmm?” She asks desperately. “No. Let’s talk here. I won’t go anywhere with you.” Taeyeon looks at Baekhyun with an unreadable expression. “I love you Byun Baekhyun.” Taeyeon confessed in a heartbeat. Baekhyun's small eyes bulge out in shock. Never once does it cross his mind that Taeyeon has that kind of feeling for him. But he doubts that her feelings are genuine. Baekhyun scoffs then laughs. This is so funny.

“You love me sunbae? That’s why you ask Mr. Kim to create a scandal about us?” Baekhyun asks with a disbelieving laugh. He claps his hand and shakes his head. “Whoa sunbae. You are really something else.” It’s not that he doesn’t appreciate her feelings but the whole thing about her liking him so she begs their CEO to make a scandal about them is so laughable.

Taeyeon bows her head down. “I truly love you. You know how hurt it is for me to see another thing that I love fall to her again.” She says. “What did she even take from you? She never took anything from you sunbae. You are the one who ruined her life!” Baekhyun shouts at her.

Taeyeon looks up at him with a face b with tears and it really surprises Baekhyun. “S-Sunbae…” Taeyeon sighs loudly and sobs harder. “WHY DO YOU ALL ONLY CARE ABOUT HER?! I AM SUFFERING TOO! I KEPT HAVING A NIGHTMARE ABOUT THAT DAY! MY LIFE IS AN ABSOLUTE MESS BECAUSE OF HER!”

“AND WHEN I REALLY LOVE SOMEONE, SHE TAKES YOU AWAY FROM ME TOO!! I MET YOU FIRST! I’M THE ONE WHO DESERVES YOU!”

Taeyeon's sudden outburst really shocks him now. She loves him? “Sunbae…” Baekhyun calls her softer this time. “You have so many people who love you. Why do you envy Jihye so much?” Baekhyun asks her. Taeyeon covers her face with her hands and cries harder. “Do you know what Lee Sooman told me years ago? He told me that I was better off as a member of a girl group and that Lee Jihye was the perfect soloist for S

Please log in to read the full chapter