Nervous

Cold As You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene spotted her somewhat anxious cousin casually enter the dining room to get a glass of water. Joy was about to leave when Sunmi's booming voice startled all of them at the table.

 

"And just where did you go this morning young lady?"

 

"Mom, stop overreacting. I just went to tend to Katy, she's sick." Joy groaned. "Good morning" she nodded to a groggy Heechul and Junmyeon who were being surprisingly quiet. "And she asked me to give this to her friend for her". She showed the book she's been holding since she entered the room.

 

"Is Katy okay?" Irene asked to ease up the tension. Sunmi was making such a fuss about this and Joy seemed genuinely annoyed with her mother.

 

Joy smiled. "She's fine unnie, just can't get up so I have to do her a favor. Now, if you'll excuse me", she bowed politely to her mother before storming to her room.

 

After Irene finished helping clear the table, she rushed off to Joy's room to see her just sitting on her bed, dazed.

 

"Oh you're here", Joy shook off her thoughts before grabbing the book from earlier. Irene took notice of the pair of gloves that looked too small for Joy sitting on the bed. "Is everything okay?" Irene softly ran her hands through Joy's hair. This situation seemed familiar, but she knew just what to do.

 

"I don't kn- I mean, yes I'm going now" Irene noticed Joy was reading through Katy's messages, and travelled through a train of thought after that. She saw another message from Katy. Joy stared at it for a while before sighing.

 

"May I?", Irene asked for Joy's permission to read the message. Her cousin stared at her for a few seconds, clearly hesitating before giving her the phone in surrender. "Here"

 

Irene read the phone and figured that Joy was doing Katy a favor by returning "Wendy's" book that she needed for a certain play. Katy was literally pleading through the phone, she gave Wendy's number so Joy could contact her. But the way Joy was acting right now seemed to let Irene know that she didn't want to do this. Katy threatened to give Joy's number to Wendy instead if Joy won't do it.

 

Suddenly, a text from an unknown number came. Irene didn't have a chance to read it since Joy snatched the phone from her in a second. Joy stared at the text before heading out the balcony of her room. Irene tried to process all of this while Joy looked like she talking to someone on the phone that wasn't Katy. Who's Wendy?

 

Joy sat back beside Irene after she made her call. She looked burdened.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter