Twenty

TOUCH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

An Honor

 

Jinyoung scans the tray where the packets of coffee were and starts choosing which to put in the coffee maker.

Just an hour ago, Nayeon has dropped by his table with stacks of folders and told him that the documents were needed to be reviewed and re-encoded. Jinyoung was glad that he has been given a near-to-an-actual work to start this week off, unlike the previous week where he did almost nothing but photocopy papers here and there. It's not like he's complaining because he is well aware that he's not even what you can call an intern. But this time, he's glad that he's been entrusted this task with. He needs to accomplish this. 

He picks the 3-in-1 packet and was about to put it in the machine when the pantry's door opened revealing Jungkook.

"Hyung!" The younger called him cheerfully and enters the pantry, walking closer to where he was standing. "What are you doing?"

Jinyoung shows him the packet he's holding. "Just thought of getting myself a cup of hot coffee."

Jungkook nods but continues to examine the packet he's holding. "You're drinking a 3-in-1 coffee?" Jinyoung stares at the younger as if asking whether that is wrong but Jungkook proceeds back to talking. "I also think drinking coffee this afternoon would be nice. I just had four classes today and to relax my brain cells a little, I'll treat them to a coffee."

"Uhm... okay?"

"Let's go and grab a real coffee at the cafe across our building, hyung. I'll treat you to a coffee too."

Jinyoung waves his hand while smiling politely, wanting to dodge the invitation. It was nice of Jungkook to think of treating him to coffee but, he has work. Leaving during work hours won't be a nice thing to do. What if Seokjin suddenly calls on him while he's out with his brother?

"I don't think I should Jungkook. I'm still working."

"You can take short breaks too."

"I know, but... what if your hyung suddenly needed me to do something?" Like photocopy papers, perhaps. It's still a task, however.

And did Jungkook just snort? The younger did talk. "He can't do that, hyung." What does he mean Seokjin can't? He's his boss. "I mean, he won't. Well, actually he can't."

"Huh? Why can't he?"

"Didn't you know? Seokjin hyung left work early today. Him and dad had some more important matters to attend to." Jungkook replied a matter-of-factly before sending him another hopeful look. "So...? Would you go have coffee with me now?"

 

 

Jungkook insisted that he'll pay for their drinks. Jinyoung tried to say that he can very much pay for his own drink but Jungkook said since he's the one who invited him, then he's the one who should pay. The younger even added that if Jinyoung wants to pay next time, he should be the one who invites Jungkook then. To this, Jinyoung could only smile. It amuses him how Jungkook seems to be used to always getting things as how he wants them.

After the younger ordered their drinks, they found themselves a table situated near the cafe's windows. It's only ten minutes past 3pm so the sun is far from setting. 

"I've been hanging out with Yugyeom more often than usual, hyung." Jungkook said when he asked him about how he was doing these past few days. "Yugyeom said he needs help with his Math subject and since he has so much faith in me when it comes to acads, he decided to ask me to help him out a bit."

"He could've just asked me instead."

"I mentioned that, too. But Yugyeom said you might be too busy since you have work immersion and you're on your last year in college too."

Jinyoung nods, seeing why his cousin might have asked for his friend's help rather than his. He took a sip of his vanilla latte before he asks, "So how's it been going? I mean, the tutoring? I had to say Yugyeom is definitely not the easiest one to teach. It's not only because Math isn't his strong point but it's because he dislikes the subject. Did you have a hard time teaching my cousin?"

Jungkook shrugs his shoulder as a response before taking a bite of the custard cake he ordered. "Not really, hyung. Yugyeom seems to really want to not fail this subject and I don't really have that much patience so he has no choice but to cooperate."

That made Jinyoung laugh. It seems that although these two are bestfriends, Jungkook isn't letting Yugyeom have it easy. He likes that.

"But... recently, Bambam has been going with us, too; staying until our session ends. Bambam doesn't take the same subject so I wonder why he felt the need to stay with us. And hyung, I could've sworn that there were times when I saw him glaring at me. I could be wrong but, it just seemed like Bambam didn't like me hanging around. If I didn't know better, I would think Bambam is jealous of me." 

Jinyoung almost coughed on his drink, but glad that he didn't. He tried to hide his surprise and decided to listen to what else Jungkook has to say about Bambam being jealous. He could remember a few times he had noticed the same thing too, and what's common is it always has something to do with Jungkook. So maybe it is indeed plausible, Bambam being jealous over Jungkook.

"If that would happen. then what a lucky Yugyeom would be." Jinyoung creases his brow at this. "Because that means Bambam also feels the same way as him and boy is he lucky if that's the case."

Jinyoung wasn't able to respond immediately. He was caught up with the last sentence Jungkook has said, about Bambam feeling the same way as... Yugyeom? So does that mean Yugyeom also likes Bambam? Now, he can't help but ask.

"Are you saying Yugyeom likes Bambam?" 

At that moment, Jungkook stares back at him, surprised. "Oh my god, I just slipped." And yes, he just did. "Hyung, please don't tell Yugyeom. I really didn't mean to. I knew I should've just kept my mouth shut." The younger even smacked his own lips. "I'm such a bad friend."

"Hey, that's okay." Jinyoung just told him. "I won't tell. Whatever their case is, that's something they should talk about and that does mean we should meddle." 

"Right." Jungkook now smiles, seemingly relieved. "Do you want more of this custard cake?"

 

After ordering another custard cake, Jungkook then talked about school and other random stuffs. It was then when Jungkook told Jinyoung how he likes having the older around because it felt like he got himself another older brother, another hyung whom he can share these things to. Jinyoung dared ask if the younger can't do this to his own brother.

"I used to." Jungkook answered. "But ever since hyung had taken over the company, he started to spend less time at hime and with me. He's busier than he ever used to be. Although I miss him, I can't just ask him to leave his work just to spend time with me."

"You must really be close to him, huh? To Seokjin?" Jinyoung said.

This made the younger smile. "Of course. Despite of how seemingly cold hyung might appear to be, he really is a warm-hearted person. He knows how to care for others, although he sometimes had an odd way of expressing it."

Hearing this, Jinyoung recalled that night when he saw the older at this bar where he and his cousins were. That night when Seokjin saved him from being manhanlded by this drunk guy but then ended up nagging at him for it. Nodding his head, Jinyoung agrees.

 

 

"Aren't mom and dad eating?" Jinyoung asked Hyunjin after his dinner was served.

Jinyoung sits alone in the dining room and was about to eat when he noticed that his parents are still not downstairs with him. The young helper then responded. "They have left this afternoon for a short business trip out of town. Your father said they'll be back tomorrow."

"Ah. Alright." 

Hyunjin handed him his chopsticks. "You may start eating sir. If you need anything, you can just call for me."

Jinyoung nods and just started eating. This isn't new anyway.

 

For the rest of the night, Jinyoung did some reading and short studying. This Thursday, they'll be having a quiz and since it's his goal to always do well, he needs to review.  It was almost 10 pm and he was about to rest his eyes from all the readings he did when his phone buzzed. He read Jackson's name in the caller id so he answered.

"What is it?"

"Are you still awake?"

Jinyoung rolls his eyes at the question. "How else would I be able to answer your call, Jackson?"

His cousin only laughed. "Anyway, wanna grab some fries and sundae with me?"

He glanced at the clock again. "At this hour? Why?"

"I'm just craving for it. You know me when I am craving for food, I won't be able to get some sleep."

Jinyoung sighs defeatedly. "You do know you could just order through app, right?"

"I'm already driving towards your house. Meet me outside!"

When will Jackson ever listen to him? Heaving another sigh, Jinyoung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter