Sixteen

TOUCH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Escape"

 

"Is everything good there?" Jinyoung asks Mark who is at the back of the car, putting their stuffs inside the trunk. 

He heard a few thumping sounds before Mark answered a short yeah. Jinyoung walked to reach where the older is and he saw Mark with his hands on his waist, looking at the car's trunk. "My trunk looks like it's about to blow up but, yeah... it's all good."

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at the older before he opened the trunk again. "Just get a few bags from there and put them in the backseat along with the guys."

"But they're already squeezing to fit at the backseat." 

"That's their consequence for sticking their asses with us instead of riding in the van."

Mark sighed before doing what he said. "Alright."

 

It's Sunday and as planned, they are all heading back to Seoul after spending Jaebum's birthday yesterday. But unlike how it went the first time they drove to get here, their cousins insisted to ride with them instead. Yugyeom was the one who keeps on pushing the idea and it's expected that he drags Bambam with him since they're best friends. Youngjae said he doesn't want to ride in the van if Yugyeom and Bambam will be riding with them so in the end, all five of them rides the car.

Mark doesn't agree with the idea because who would want to travel in a fully loaded car? But their cousins and that would be Yugyeom (mainly) just won't take no from them. They could see that Yugyeom really dislikes to ride the van and they find it odd since they know their cousin dislikes riding on a stuffy car more. Considering his size, Yugyeom needs as much space as he can get so he could stretch his arms and limbs. Their cousin often get cramps whenever they go in long drives and he isn't able to sit comfortably inside the vehicle. And so Jinyoung decided to ask Yugyeom about his reason why he doesn't want to ride the van. Yugyeom didn't even bother to lie and said that he didn't want to be in the same space as Jaebum. Again, Jinyoung finds it odd because the last time he remembers, his cousin gets along well with Jaebum. Maybe they're not that close but they could be considered friends. Confused, he asked again for the reason Yugyeom has. 

"Last night, I saw Jackson hyung and his eyes looked like he just cried. Before that, we saw and Jaebum together. Then just this morning, Jackson hyung left for Seoul ahead of us. I know one plus one makes two, hyung. I may not know what exactly happened, but I am sure Jaebum knows."

What Yugyeom said is true. Jackson did leave to go back to Seoul earlier this morning before they all woke up. They found out about it after their cousin sent them a text message saying that he did go home ahead of them. Jackson didn't provide any reason, and Jinyoung can't find the courage to ask. Besides, it's not as if he doesn't have the slightest idea why Jackson chose to leave early. It's still all fresh in his memory- what happened last night. He could still hear Jackson's broken voice as he asked Jaebum that question: "Do you still love him? Is it still Jinyoung until now?". He might have not seen Jackson's face while he's asking that but, he could very well imagine his painful expression as his cousin waited for Jaebum's answer which didn't come. And maybe that was more painful... not hearing any answer, not hearing anything that could pacify your worries and doubts. Jackson needed that. Jinyoung recalls how his cousin told him that he has already fallen in love with Jaebum. And honestly, Jinyoung hoped that love will be reciprocated. He hoped that Jaebum would feel the same and will love Jackson back. It will be so much easier. Things wouldn't have been this complicated. 

But now... "Jinyoung is not gonna love you back because he's already in love with someone else." 

Jinyoung clenches his fists when those words rang inside his head again. He could feel his hands getting cold as fear slowly crept back inside his heart again. Last night, Mark was able to get his mind off it. The way Mark held him in his arms, assuring him that whatever happen, they will be fine... it made him able to push the fear he's feeling back down again. But it isn't completely gone. And now, he feels it slowly coming back-

"Hey?" 

A soft tap on his hand followed by gentle squeeze got his attention and now he's met with the older's brown eyes filled with concern. "You okay up there?" Mark pointed to his head. 

Jinyoung heaved a deep sigh and prayed it would be enough to drown out his unwanted thoughts. "Yeah. I'm okay." His smile is answered by an equally warm smile from Mark.

After a few minutes, their cousins walked from the exit of the hotel and approached them. "We'll all sit at the back?" Yugyeom asked them.

"Where else?" Mark answered in an annoyed tone. "Now get your asses inside so we could all get moving."

Their cousins were about to follow the order when Jaebum came to them. He's wearing a loose white shirt and jeans. He also looks like he's ready to go. Jinyoung turns to him as soon as Jaebum greeted them. He noticed that unlike yesterday, there's an air of awkwardness surrounding them. It also shows on how Jaebum seems to find it hard to hold eye contact with him. 

"Is everything good? Are you all ready to go?" Jaebum asked, glancing at the car. 

"Yeah we are. How about you?" Jinyoung asked in return and he's amazed at how natural he sounds. It's as if nothing happened last night. 

Jaebum shrugged. "I'm all good too. Are you sure you'll all fit inside the car?" He then turned to his cousins. "You can ride with me in the van-"

"No thanks." Yugyeom was the one who responded immediately, cutting off Jaebum's words. 

"Well... okay then." The latter said, scratching the back of his head as he talks.

Jinyoung sensed that there's still a few dangling words to Jaebum's last one. He can feel that Jaebum still wants to say something but is maybe contemplating whether he should or shouldn't? Nevertheless, Jinyoung opted to cut the conversation short. Reason one, is because they want to travel early to avoid traffic and to get some more time to rest at home. Reason two, he can't stand the air of awkwardness surrounding them all. And reason three, to be frank, he can't act like he's okay with how Jaebum acted last night and all those things he said to him and Jackson. If he'll be more honest, he wants to get mad at him. The way Jinyoung sees things, Jaebum led his cousin on. They kissed, no scratch that, he kissed Jackson... and then he'd say it's just nothing? It's an move! But.... didn't he do the same back then too? Didn't he lead Jaebum on too, before?  it. 

Pursing his lips, Jinyoung gestured his head towards the car. "We should go ahead. Have a safe trip, Jaebum."

He heard a short okay from the latter before he told his cousins and Bambam to get inside the car. Mark led him to the other side of the car to get in his seat. From the window, he saw how Mark gave a brief nod to Jaebum before getting in the car himself. Once inside, Mark wore his seatbelt and made him wear his won as well. 

"He didn't even ask about hyung, huh." They heard Yugyeom scoff from the backseat as Mark starts the engine.

"Calm your horses, Gyeom-ah. We'll talk to Jackson once we get to Seoul. I want to see if he's alright too." Bambam told his best friend, tapping his back as he did.

"Yeah we should. Hyung hasn't replied to my message yet." Youngjae said too.

Until they drove off, Jinyoung can't shake the weird feeling he has from the way Jaebum stared at him and Mark.

 

 

By Monday, they were all back in school again.

Mark drops by to fetch him and they drove together to school. While walking to their respective classes, Jinyoung asks Mark about his schedule for the day and the older mentioned about having to take two quizzes on his major subjects. Mark told him he wasn't able to review because he rested the whole day yesterday. Jinyoung couldn't do anything but tap the older's back and wish him luck. Mark is already on his last year and he could only imagine the amount of stress the older is getting from his academics. He actually admires how Mark is able to still pull himself together and act all calm and collected. Jinyoung isn't sure if he can manage to be just like that once he steps into his last year in college. Just thinking that he's gonna need to have work immersion next school year is enough to stress him out. He prays real hard that he'll be able to pull this off and graduate with honors as what is expected from him.

By lunch time, it was only him, Yugyeom, Bambam and Youngjae who were able to meet and eat together. Mark texted him saying he's at the library reviewing and is eating sandwich for lunch. Jinyoung tried insisting that he needs to eat properly and that he'll bring him food himself but Mark disagreed saying, "As much as I want to see you, I can't afford any distraction right now, love." So in the end, Jinyoung just let Mark have his peace in reviewing. He doesn't want the older to fail on his quiz. 

While they were eating, Jinyoung asked the younger ones about Jackson. Only Bambam has an answer saying he saw their cousin one time at the hallways and said he has a fully packed schedule and he's set to have his first training in the Im's Engineering and Construction this afternoon. Oh right. He remembered what Jackson's parents told them while at the family dinner. They did mention that Jackson chose to train with the Im's for his immersion. Now, Jinyoung wonders if Jackson still fancies the idea. He could only sigh as he imagined how uncomfortable the situation might get for his cousin.

"By the way, hyung?" Yugyeom calls him in the middle of eating. "Jungkook texted me this morning saying he has a free time later this afternoon and he wants us to meet. I figured it'll be nice if you would come with us so you can ask him about your plan of having your work immersion at their company?" 

Jinyoung finds the idea as nice too, so he agreed. They are set to meet Jungkook at this coffee shop after their last class which both end at 3 pm. He informed Mark about it and the older said he'll meet him in the cafe after his last class too. By 3:10 pm, Yugyeom drove them both to the agreed meeting place. 

 

"Find a table for us, hyung. I'll go order us some drinks." Yugyeom told before walking straight to the counter, not waiting for him to utter a single word.

With a sigh, Jinyoung scans the cafe. Fortunately, it's not a packed afternoon. There are still lots of vacant tables. Realizing that he enjoys the outside view more, Jinyoung picked a table by the window. Once seated, he fished out his phone and dialed Yugyeom's number. His cousin answered in the first ring.

"Oh, hyung?"

"You didn't ask me what I want." 

"Oh."

"Java Chip. Venti size." That, and he ended the call. For the next few minutes, he just played games on his phone while waiting.

When Yugyeom arrived, he noticed a guy as tall as his cousin walking alongside him. They're laughing while talking. When Yugyeom spotted him, he pointed to the guy beside him, calling him "Hyung!". When they reached the table, Yugyeom placed the tray down and tapped on the guy's shoulder. 

"Hyung. This is Jungkook." 

Jinyoung figured that out. Although the last time he saw the younger was five years ago, when Yugyeom attended the summer camp. That is also the time when Yugyeom met Jungkook. They attended summer dance class together and since then, they didn't lose communication. 

"It's good to see you again, Jinyoung hyung." The younger greeted him and bowed.

Jinyoung waved his hands to tell that the bow is not necessary. "It's good to see you, too. I see you're still friends with this brat. I hope it's not growing on you."

"YAH! I'm right here!" Yugyeom whines.

"Which is why I said it." His remark made Jungkook laugh and Yugyeom pout like a kid. "So, how has life been?"

 

Their talk for the next half an hour is mostly just catching up oon each others' lives. Jungkook is as talkative as his cousin but Jinyoung enjoys listening to his stories. He talked about how sc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter