Eighteen

TOUCH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Stay"

 

The cool breeze hits his face and it is somehow able to make up to the heat brought by the warm ray of sunlight grazing on the side of his face. Jinyoung keeps his eyes closed and indulges himself with the feeling he gets just from lying on one of the beach's lounge chair under the sizzling sun. It feels hot, but it's not the kind of hot which makes one feel uncomfortable. Jinyoung enjoys this kind of hot. He figures he needs it once in a while.

He then reached out for his book which he has placed on top of the table just beside the lounge chair he was lying on. He also wore his sunglass so his eyes can be protected from the assaulting rays of sunlight as he decides to get back to reading. He purposely took one of his books with him when his cousins told him that they were all going for one last summer trip before school officially starts once again. Jinyoung knows that unlike his cousins, he is not bound to have the greatest summer getaway of his life. He was just basically dragged into joining the said trip. It's not like he hates joining, but these days if he would be honest, he just really enjoys being alone more rather than being with anyone.

Jinyoung was flipping onto the next page of the novel when someone snatched the book away from him. Then he saw Jackson only wearing a swimming short and has a towel over his shoulder, holding the book that has just been snatched away from his grasp. 

"You're still reading?" Jackson asked, putting a great emphasis on still. He watched his cousin flip the pages mindlessly as if waiting for something to drop from it. "This is our last day here in Mokpo and yet you're doing nothing but read. How more fun could you get?"

Jinyoung took his sunglasses so his cousin would see him rolling his eyes. Sitting up straight, he lend his hand out. "Give me that back. I'm reading."

"Yeah I could see that but I couldn't understand why."

"Because I want to finish the book. Come on, give it back. I'm already halfway done."

Just in time, Yugyeom and Youngjae also arrived. Yugyeom is dressed the same way as Jackson while Youngjae still has a white shirt on. The youngest of his cousins pointed at the book Jackson is holding up.

"Is that Jinyoung hyung's?" Jackson nodded as an answer. "Only hyung spends his time reading while on a trip."

"Yeah let him hear how boring he is." Jackson's remark earned another eye roll from him.

Youngjae then tapped his shoulder. "We should go for a swim." The younger's eyes were hopeful, making it hard for him to refuse. He did say that he always has a soft spot for Youngjae. "Come on, hyung?"

Jinyoung could only sigh as he gets up. When he did, Youngjae and Yugyeom already threw their arms on his shoulder and dragged him towards the water. He looked back and saw Jackson placing the book back on the table before running to follow after them.

 

 

It was already past 9pm when Jinyoung made it back their room. He was out for his night walk. He just like how the cool night breeze is able to calm his nerves so he opted to take a short walk.

When he went inside, he found no one in the living room. He then heard his cousins laughing and he figured that they are in the veranda. He walked towards their direction and there he saw his cousins with their backs turned laughing altogether. He noticed that Yugyeom was holding his phone and Youngjae and Jackson were looking at it. He thought they were watching something crazy or hilarious. Jinyoung cleared his throat to make his presence known.

"Hyung!" Youngjae was the one who exclaimed and he seemed to be really surprised to see him standing behind them. "You already got back."

Jinyoung noticed how Yugyeom almost jumped and how the youngest was in panic, keeping his phone away. Jackson wasn't saying anything but his wide eyes clearly show how surprised he also is. Narrowing his eyes at them, Jinyoung crossed his arms. "Are you guys watching or something?"

The three gaped at him before waving their hands hurriedly, as if dismissing his accusation.

Jinyoung laughed at their reaction. "You guys are up to no good this late at night." He shook his head to show them that he disapproves it. "Anyway, I'll go freshen up so I could rest and sleep. Are you planning to stay up late?"

"We'll follow a bit after." Jackson answered.

Jinyoung just nodded and walked his way towards the bathroom. As he grabbed his towel and entered the shower room, he could only shake his head and smile faintly.

He did a good job pretending that he didn't see it. That strike of white hair from the screen. It was only for a short second but he clearly saw who his cousins were talking to. And it makes him sad that his cousins feel the need to hide it from him- them talking to Mark. Jinyoung wants to tell them that it's okay. It's okay if they still keep talking to him. Of course it should be okay. They're all still cousins. Despite of the trouble they caused a couple of months back, the truth is they're all still cousins. What they did and what they had wouldn't change that. 

After Mark left for L.A., Jinyoung spent his days locked inside his room. He missed school for a whole week. But when he realized that can't go on forever, he willingly went out and forced himself to get back to his track. At home, only his mom started talking to him. His dad won't even look at him and he didn't even eat with them. It took a lot of insisting from his mom to convince his dad to interact with him again. 

As for his cousins, after everything that had happened, only Jackson kept in touch with him. The Chinese never failed to text him and call him everyday to check up on him. It took a few weeks before Youngjae and Yugyeom talked to him again. They apologized for keeping distance but Jinyoung understood that his cousins needed time to digest everything that had happened. Since Mark left, his cousins didn't mention his name to him. Even Yugyeom nor Youngjae asked him anything about the older, or about what they had, or anything which they have failed to know before. They seemed to have contented themselves with just knowing that the two of them made a mistake. As to how or why they decided to make that mistake together, his cousins didn't ask him. And Jinyoung prefers it that way. Because honestly, after Mark left him alone to face this mess, he doesn't know how he will answer those questions anymore. It is blurred to him now. And he doesn't think it'll be clear again.

 

 

They arrived at their house past 11 in the morning. Yugyeom was already complaining that he's hungry and is whining at them for not stopping by a drive-thru an hour ago. To stop the youngest's whines, Jinyoung decided to invite his cousins for lunch. They all agreed but Jackson.

"Are your parents home?" The Chinese asked him as they get off the van.

Jinyoung shrugged. "I am not sure. Why?"

Jackson just shook his head and followed them as they enter the house. 

Hyunjin was there to greet them and welcome them inside. Jinyoung told him to prepared their lunch because his cousins are hungry but Hyunjin said that his mom was already cooking. "Mom's here?" he asked the younger.

"Yes, sir."

Soon enough they all find their selves seated around the dining table with his parents. That's when Jinyoung noticed how uncomfortable Jackson is especially when his dad says something. And that made him realize the reason behind his cousin's action. Jackson must be uncomfortable because he knows his dad is aware that he helped him and Mark in hiding their relationship before. Jackson must have this feeling that his dad is still mad at him for that. But Jinyoung couldn't care less. If his dad is still mad, he doesn't care. What else should he do to make his dad's anger go away? Whatever it is that he and Mark shared, it's now over. If it's not enough to pacify his dad's anger, then he's got no choice but to let him be. Jinyoung has accepted the consequence of their mistake. His dad won't ever look at him the same way again, as well as his aunts and uncles. They will never forget what he did. And Jinyoung decides to just leave things at that. He has nothing more to do.

 

It was during dinner, when his dad asked him about his work immersion. 

"Yugyeom found me a good place to have my immersion at. I'll have an interview with them next week." he told his dad.

It didn't go unnoticed to him, how his dad's face became stern. Maybe, his dad expected he would just follow what he wants- and that is to train under his supervision in Park Enterprises. But Jinyoung also hoped he's made himself clear enough that he doesn't want to train in their own company. His stand on it didn't change. 

"And this company being a good one as you say is only by your own standards, correct?" He didn't answer his dad's question but he locked stares with him. "But I'm afraid I can't trust you with your standards."

Jinyoung almost winced because of what he has heard. It had stung him a little, hearing that. Gripping on his fork so it won't slip from his almost shaking hands, Jinyoung tried to answer back. "I believe it's a decision I should make, dad. Not anyone else's."

"And what about the last time you made a decision? Did that go well?"

"Hyungmin." His mom's voice calling out his dad echoed in the dining room. It was followed by a minute of silence.

Until his dad wiped his mouth with the table napkin. "My words don't seem to do any effect on you, nor on your decision. Very well. You've made a terrible one anyway, what's another mistake?"

Jinyoung kept his head down after his dad said those words. Even after his dad left, he still kept his head down. But when his mom went near him and his back, only did Jinyoung let go of the breath his been keeping in. 

"I'm sorry, son."

"It's okay, mom." Jinyoung said, lifting his head up and putting his spoon and fork on the side of his plate. He reached for the table napkin and wiped his mouth clean. "I'm not expecting dad to let that one go so easily. I'm the one at fault here anyway." He stood up from the table. "Excuse me. I'll go back to my room now."

 

 

"It's a good thing I was not given a heavy load at immersion. The Ims have taken go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter