Nine

TOUCH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Burning"

 

 

"You could just say no to buying me lunch, you know?" 

Jinyoung hears Jackson who is currently glaring at their youngest cousin. They are in the cafeteria for their lunch break and here they have Jackson being all pouty at Yugyeom who just paid for their lunch.

"You know I hate carrots." Jackson repeats himself. It's obviously why Yugyeom bought him the vegie salad in the first place- to annoy him. It's where Yugyeom is best at. 

"Just give it to me, Jacks." Bambam offered, handing out his bowl. "Get some of my dumplings instead."

"You see, this is why I don't understand how you could be friends with this evil child. Bam, you're so much nicer." Jackson said as he did what Bambam asked him to. 

Jinyoung just shook his head as he took a spoonful of his soup. "Food is food, Jackson. What did carrots ever do to you?"

"Wow. That's a lot coming from someone who loathed me for a whole month just because, and I quote: you eat meat with Yugyeom and Bambam, while it's always just eggs and noodles with me. Don't you think so, Park Jinyoung?"

Jinyoung wants to answer back, and he would. If only Jackson didn't turn his head around and started waving his hand in the air. "Jaebum!" The chinese called out despite of his mouth being full. What did he say about Jackson and table manners? 

He just watched as Jackosn kept on waving at Jaebum, telling the older to come to their table. When Jaebum signalled them saying 'wait', Jackson immediately pushed Yugyeom to probably make space for Jaebum. The youngest just moved closer to Bambam and continued on eating. A minute after, Jaebum approached them holding his tray.

"Eat with us." Jackson said, smiling brightly at Jaebum. 

They exchanged glances, which is followed by a light smile. "Yeah, eat with us." Jinyoung opted to say to erase the awkwardness. Their cousins were only eating silently but their eyes were watching. Not wanting to make things more complicated than they should be, Jinyoung decided to act casual. After all, him and Jaebum are in good terms already. It's just that this is the first time their cousins are seeing them talking again. 

"Alright. Thanks." Jaebum smiled at them and sat beside Jackson who is already asking about the food he bought.

They all went back to eating and Jinyoung finds it amusing how Jackson looked like a little boy trying to get the attention of his crush.

 

 

"Dinner is served." 

Jinyoung along with his cousins all stood up from the couch where they were watching Toy Story 4 - Yugyeom's pick. It's the youngest who gets to choose since they were in their house. It's Yugyeom's parents' anniversary and they invited the whole family to celebrate with them. Just a close and intimate dinner is enough, nothing grand and certainly not publicized.

They all followed their parents as they walk towards the dining area. All five of them sat on one end of the table while their parents sat on the other end. They all know where the conversation will head to and not wanting to be part of it, Jinyoung and his cousins decided to create their own bubble. They were busy laughing at their inside jokes when his dad suddenly called to him. This got his attention and also his cousins'.

"Yes, dad?" Jinyoung asked, looking up. His dad has his eyes on him while cutting the steak. 

"Have you already decided on where to train for your work immersion?" Oh, right. This again. He watched as his dad chewed and swallowed the piece of steak he just cut before staring back at him again. "Finals is fast approaching and before you know it semestral break will be over. You really aren't left with much time, son. You should've decided by now."

One of his uncles, Mark's dad turned to his dad and asked, "Is this about Jinyoung training under Park Enterprises?" He heard his dad humming in response but those eyes aren't leaving him. "That will be perfect then. As the next heir, he needs to be trained and of course, no one could train him better than you, Hyungmin." 

"That's what I've been telling him." His father's voice and how he put emphasis on the pronoun, staring seriously at him makes Jinyoung want to suddenly vanish, He's positive that everyone in the table is looking at him right now. "I actually don't know why he even need to decide. There's nothing to think about here." Wiping his mouth with the napkin, his dad looked to his direction again. "So, son? Should I prepare your office now?"

Jinyoung waited until his aunts' and uncles' laughter died down before he pursed his lips. Trying hard to hold stares, he answered. "Actually, I decided to leave out the immersion from the list of subjects I'll be taking next semester. I think I am still not ready to take on it, dad. So, I thought it's best if I save it and take it next school year."

It felt like a full minute of not hearing anything from his dad. Jinyoung almost gripped on his fork and knife as he waited... waited for anything. But it didn't come. His dad just stared at him, almost impassively. Jinyoung felt like bracing himself for whatever his dad is going to say to him... maybe not now, but it doesn't mean he's safe from his father's blow. 

"The generation nowadays. They really tend to take matters in their own hands, not wanting to be told off by anyone. Even Jackson right here refuses to listen to us most days. Jackson also refused to train in our company and said he likes to try on something apart from our business." They heard Jackson's dad talking giving a side glance at his cousin.

"But dad, I already told you I don't want to get special treatment." The chinese grunted while chewing on his food.

"Anyway, I just let him have his way since he said he'll be training under the Im's Engineering and Construction which is a good choice still." His uncle continued.

They have heard it from Jackson already. Their cousin told them about this about a week ago after Jaebum started eating lunch with them again. Jinyoung envies Jackson for having his parents agree to his decision. How he wishes the same for himself.

"Speaking of the Im's, isn't their son Jaebum pursuing our Jinyoung here?"

Jinyoung felt his shoulder tensed up upon hearing his aunt's question. He also heard how Jackson hushed his own mom but she still continued to talk. "Why won't you just train with Jackson? I think that'll be a good choice too, and probably will make way for a possible mergence? And I am sure Jaebum would like that."

Jinyoung just kept his head down, praying that the conversation would miraculously swerve from him and Jaebum. He remembered, he hasn't told his parents about it yet. They still don't know what happened between him and Jaebum. He felt a heavy but concerned stare from beside him and he's sure those brown eyes are focused on him now but he decided not to check. 

"I haven't thought about that." Jinyoung heard his dad. "Is that your plan, son? Did Jaebum offer their company for you to have your immersion there?" 

He could almost wince but he didn't. Jinyoung bit his lips before turning to his dad. "No, he didn't."

"He didn't? Well if you don't want to train in our company then I guess this will be a good choice. If Jaebum still haven't asked, maybe he's just a bit shy. I will give CEO Im a call tomorrow and invite them for dinner so we could talk about this."

"But dad-" Jinyoung wasn't able to prevent himself from reacting. His dad's eyes were directed to him again. "Let us not bother CEO Im anymore, please?"

"Why would it be a bother? I am sure they'll be delighted to help you, the guy their son is dating." and that hits him. Maybe he should've told them sooner.

Heaving a deep breath, Jinyoung talked. "I am not... I-I'm not dating their son." He let those words slip out, without looking at his dad or anyone. "I am not dating Jaebum, dad."

Trying to be brave, he brought his eyes up to check on his dad's reaction and he saw how stiff the older's face is. "How did that happen?" His dad asked in a stern voice.

"I... I just thought, it'll be better if we stay as friends. I don't want to lead him on so I told him he should stop pursuing me." He saw as his dad's brows creased so Jinyoung explained right away. "But we're in good terms now. He understood my point and, we're still friends."

Jinyoung just sat there, waiting for his dad to say something. And when he did, his dad's voice could not get any more serious and bland. "You decide on things too rashly. If you're being pickle-minded as you are now... how could I trust you to make big decisions where our company would lie?"

 

The dinner ended and their parents stayed in the living room while Yugyeom took them to his room upstairs. The youngest told him he's been asking his friend about the favor Jinyoung has asked him. Yugyeom said his friend gave a positive response and that's where Jinyoung would be having his work immersion. 

For the rest of the evening, his cousins didn't dare to ask about how their dinner downstairs ended, and about what his dad had told him. 

And Mark... well the older just stayed by his side and held his hand. The way his slender fingers intertwined with his own and how Mark squeezed his hand every once in a while comforted him. And Jinyoung tried to convince himself that it's enough to wear down the heaviness he felt from his dad's words a while ago.

 

 

"Hey, you alright?" Jaebum asked him as the older sat on the bleachers. It's almost lunch time and Jinyoung was trying to focus on reviewing for his next subject when Jaebum approached him.

Jinyoung looked up and moved to give space for Jaebum. "I think so." He said nonchalantly, flipping another page in his book. 

"Your dad called." This got his attention and now he's staring at Jaebum again. "This morning, your dad called my dad and well, he asked about me... about ... us." . Jinyoung cursed mentally. "I failed to tell my parents that you already... I meant we already talked things out and that... we're just friends now. I'm sorry." Jaebum said the last sentence in a small voice.

Jinyoung sure do felt like he wants to smudge his face because of the irritation he'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter