One

TOUCH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"All Yours"

 

"There is nothing called ethical in business. There are rules and businesses must follow those rules. If there is scarcity of a product or service, it’s prices would go up. Is it ethical to raise prices, No. Is it legal, Yes. Is it profitable, Yes. This is the law of the nature." 

Jinyoung heard the applause from the crowd as Junho said his final argument. He glanced on Jackson, who is beside him seated on their table, nervously clicking his pen. Jinyoung is very much worried and anxious too. Their side on this debate is difficult, considering they have to reason about profitable businesses being ethical as well. He's nervous alright, after hearing what Junho and his team has prepared for this debate. But as the team's leader, Jinyoung is not allowed to show any points of breaking. He can't be weak for he must defend his team until the end. Giving a small nod to Jackson, he focused to Junho who is back to speaking.

"If you cheat anyone or on anyone, your conscience violates itself, to not be trustworthy! You depend on your conscience to exercise understanding and discernment to use knowledge wisely!" another round of applause was heard. Junho turned to face him and Jinyoung could see his challenging, almost provoking eyes directed at him. With a subtle smirk, Junho continued. "Throwing out understanding and discernment for selfish reasons, excuses one from practicing the habitual exercise to make wise decisions, deceives themselves thinking they profit materially by throwing away true value, end up making many more erroneous decisions throw away their own credibility."

The sound of the timer going off was heard. The team's time is up. The debate official then turned to his team and gestured for Jinyoung to stand and give his final argument. 

Jinyoung did stand, but not before he scans the whole crowd. He sees a nest of white hair on the top most part of the hall. He saw his furrowed brows, eyes still directed on the opposite side's leader. But not a second after, those brown eyes are directed at him. When their eyes met, Jinyoung saw an encouraging smile drawing on those thin and pink lips. And that's enough to push him, and keep him going.

With a deep breath, Jinyoung started to talk.

"All businesses are part of a wider network, part of their local community, the local and national economy, as well as having an impact on the environment.  It’s whether they recognise this responsibility and take ownership, that’s up for debate. In my opinion, businesses should be an accountable part of their wider community, not only to be ethical, but also to be prosperous." 

Jinyoung felt more at ease while he was speaking. He kept his voice in a moderate level, but made sure it exudes confidence and knowledge. 

"Conducting a business the right way is imperative for organizations to build a public image and stay in the competition. By following ethics in business, organizations can make correct judgements and decide what is right and wrong for them. To make profit and for the survival of the business, implementing ethics in their course of action is essential for the management. Further, giving second thought before implementing any decision is paramount."

He heard Jackson saying "Yeah." in a low voice, followed by collective sound of approval from the audience. Glancing at Junho, Jinyoung went on.

"Ethical business practices are too often associated with spending lots of money, never to be seen again. But being socially and environmentally friendly is really all about good, profitable business."

When the timer goes off signalling the end of his alloted time, Jinyoung could only heave in a deep sigh. His hands were almost cold as he gripped on the table's edge, but his team mates, nor the other team's members and even the audience don't have to know. 

In the end, his team was declared as the winner. The moderator was still congratulating them and making comments but Jackson was far too happy and excited that he's already jumping up and down, shaking Jinyoung's shoulders as he did. Jinyoung just decided to let Jackson enjoy their victory. 

"Nice fight, Park." Junho said once he has approached him, lending his hand out. Jinyoung took it. "You were lucky this time. Next time, I'll make sure you ran out of luck." 

It's just a friendly banter, Jinyoung knows so in return, he just smirked. "Pray real hard that it'll happen." When Junho smirked back, they both ended up laughing.

After shaking hands with the rest of the opponents, Jinyoung looked back up and there he saw him, smiling with his two thumbs up. Jinyoung couldn't be any happier.

 

 

"I have never been that nervous in my entire life!"

Jackson exclaimed, chunks of gimbap spewing from his mouth that had Jinyoung complaining in complete gross. The five of them headed straight to the cafeteria after the debate earlier and Jackson here forgot to bring his table manners with him. Jinyoung just decided against shouting at the chinese for his unacceptable behavior and just moved from him a bit and closer to Mark.

"Eeeew, hyung! Haven't you heard of that no talking when your mouth is full?" Yugyeom complained, wiping the table off of the chunks of gimbap.

"Like he is a fan of listening, Yugyeom?" Youngjae side commented, face distorted with disgust. 

Jinyoung could only snicker along with Mark. He could stay quiet about Jackson's behavior but it seems like the younger ones can't. Jackson on the other hand doesn't seem to care at all and just continued to talk about the debate.

"That was one hell of a debate!"

"Which you weren't even a part of." Youngjae interjected which got Jackson taken aback. 

"Yah! What are you saying? I worked hard, Choi Youngjae!"

"Yeah, I bet jotting down notes is really tiring, hyung."

"Shut up, you brat!" Jackson shouted once more before turning to his direction. "And stop laughing Park Jinyoung! We're a team, remember?!"

 

His cousins are loud. Really loud.

Among the four of them, Jackson would be the loudest, always drawing attention to himself- intentional or not. Following his footsteps is Yugyeom, a Jackson Wang in the making although the younger always denies it. He talks a lot, but dances a lot more. They just let him be since he really has the talent when it comes to dancing. The closest to being normal is Youngjae. He is not that loud like Yugyeom and Jackson but he can be savage sometime. Jackson insists that the younger got it from Jinyoung, but he doesn't agree with him. With his cousins around, Jinyoung has accepted the fact that he can never have a quiet and peaceful life. But being with them ever since he was born, had made Jinyoung getting used to them being such loud crackheads.

 

"But that Junho guy...." Mark trails off, catching his attention. Jinyoung looked at the oldest who is seated beside him. "I don't like his arrogance. He seems like someone who thinks so high of himself. I don't like him."

They all heard a scoff, and that would be coming from Jackson. "It's rare for you to like anything, Mark." 

But the white haired just ignored the chinese so Jinyoung decided to speak up. "No need to hate him. It was just a match. And besides, he even congratulated us earlier." But of course it doesn't seem to change the older's opinion about the guy. Jinyoung could only shake his head while laughing.

Mark has always been like this. Among all his cousins, Mark would be the most difficult one to read, making him also the most difficult to get close with. But actually, Jinyoung could say that he's closest with him. Although Jackson keeps on claiming that him and Jinyoung has the tightest bond, honestly, Jinyoung always felt much closer and attached to Mark. There's just something with how the older makes him feel whenever they are together. He feels safe and he always feels at home when with Mark.

The five of them have been together since they were little kids. sticking together and standing up for each other. Nothin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter