Chapter Twenty-One

Cloaked Heart

WARNING: This chapter is gonna be very dark and is going to include suicidal thoughts and self-harming so if that's triggering to you then please don't read! Btw I recommend you listen to Halsey-Nightmare, the songs helps fit the mood of the chapter.

It felt like Huening Kai had been stuck in the same curled up position for hours as he slowly unwrapped his arms from his knees and looked around the eerily quiet messy living room. Even though it was just him, it felt like someone was watching him as he hesitantly stood up from the couch.

His whole body was trembling with fear as he nervously climbed up the stairs. He knew that Sunwoo be angry that he was disobeying him but at the same time staying in one place wasn't helping him if he was going to escape from here. He needed to see if Jennie was okay. 

Huening Kai stopped in his tracks, goosebumps rising against his skin as he heard small whimpers coming from the room in front of him. He was aware of how risky this was but he didn't care. He had to help Jennie. He had to make sure she was alright. 

He shakily reached over to the doorknob and carefully opened the door. The door making a squeaky creaking sound causing the raven-haired boy to grimace.

"No..No..Sunwoo..No more..please..

Huening Kai could feel his breath hitching in his throat as he stepped into the dimly lit bedroom. "It's me Huening Kai."

Jennie was hunched over on the edge of the bed, gripping her hair in her hands but slowly started to look up once she heard Huening Kai's voice. She tearily blinked at him with wide eyes. "H-Huening Kai?"

Huening Kai's eyes landed on the purple bruises forming on Jennie's face and the prominent black eye. Her top lip was busted and he could see that she had difficulty talking.

"What..what did he do to you?" Huening Kai gasped, rushing over to Jennie and sitting down next to her on the bed.

Jennie shook him off with a forced small smile, her eyes speaking a different story as she stared into his eyes almost as if she was begging him to save her. "I'm fine..it's not the first time this has happened."

Huening Kai bit down on his bottom lip as he reached over and laced his fingers through Jennie's. Taken aback by the sudden contact, she blinked down at their intertwined hands before staring back up at him. 

"I'm going to help you get out of here. Come with me," Huening Kai pleaded, his tone full of desperation.

Jennie was quiet, thinking about it for a moment before shaking her head. Tears beginning to run down her cheeks. "I-I can't. I can't leave Sunwoo here all alone. He's too young to take care of himself."

"Even so, what he's doing to you isn't right! He's..he's abusing you," Huening Kai spluttered out in frustration.

Jennie slipped her hand out of Huening Kai's and looked away. "Even if..even if I was to come with you, you're an idol. How could that even work?"

"My manager could help you and my members they would understand. Just please, you can't stay here," Huening Kai begged, tears forming in his eyes.

He didn't want to leave her behind with someone as terrifying as Sunwoo. He was hurting her and it wasn't right for him to leave Jennie with him even if they were siblings.

The pair weren't aware that Sunwoo had been standing behind them this whole time and was listening in to their conversation. Anger flooded his body as he slammed the door shut causing Huening Kai and Jennie to flinch whilst turning to stare at Sunwoo with shock.

"No one's going anywhere," Sunwoo gritted, glaring down at the frightened pair.

"Sunwoo please just let Huening Kai go. He doesn't deserve this. He's just a kid," Jennie cried, wrapping her arms protectively around the younger.

Sunwoo scoffed, clenching his jaw as he narrowed his eyes at his older sister. "I'm just a kid but that didn't matter to you, did it? All you ever used to do was drugs, bringing random guys in this house even when your own mom was sick! I had to be the older sibling! had to take care of you when you would turn up home at 2 am in the morning drunk!

Jennie burst into tears, her bottom lip quivering as she put her hand on and closed her eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry Sunwoo," she wiped her tears away with the back of her hand.

Sunwoo let out a bitter chuckle as he slowly turned over to the wall and punched it with fury causing Huening Kai to flinch and recoil in Jennie's comforting arms.

"That's when I fell in love with Huening Kai. He was different. He was confident. He was beautiful and I just had to have him for myself." Sunwoo explained, dropping his hand by his side not even caring that his knuckles were bruised. "I just wanted a friend. A real friend."

 

"I hope Soobin isn't putting too much pressure on himself," Jimin worried, taking a peak at the sleeping brown-haired boy.

Yeonjun sighed, staring out at the window. "He thinks it's all his fault and won't stop blaming himself. I..I don't know what to do as the oldest member in the group. I feel like I'm not doing a good job of taking care of the younger members."

"Hey hyung," Taehyun pouted, reaching over to caress Yeonjun's hands, "you're doing all that you can so please don't think so negatively about yourself."

Yeonjun sadly smiled, ruffling Taehyun's hair. "Thanks, kid."

 

"Sunwoo," Jennie called out, gently letting go of Huening Kai and walked over to her little brother standing in front of him so they were face to face. "You know I will always love you no matter how much you hurt me but you have to let Huening Kai go. Please."

Sunwoo was quiet as he stared back at Jennie before flickering his eyes over to Huening Kai who was trembling with fear. "He saved me from almost killing myself. When you weren't there, Huening Kai was."

"W-What?" Jennie stammered, blinking at Sunwoo as Huening Kai's eyes widened. The thought of him alone saving someone from almost attempting suicide made him feel even more burdened. 

 

"ing worthless piece of ," Yongbin hissed, kicking Sunwoo in the ribs as the younger let out a groan of pain.

Yongbin's friends, Seongyu and Taehyun laughed from behind Yongbin as Sunwoo was getting beaten up by his bully.

"Why don't you just do everyone a favor and die like your parents did," Taehyun spat causing Sunwoo's blood to boil as the three kept laughing before leaving Sunwoo in pain on the school floor. 

He burst into a sob whilst holding onto his hurting stomach. He didn't want to be here anymore. No one cared about him. Not even his own sister. All she ever did was get drunk twenty four seven. He was alone in this world. His parents were gone. He had no friends. His best friend was dead. What was the point of him still living? It wouldn't make a difference to the world if he died.

Weakly attempting to stand up, he was finally able to stand on his own two feet before he staggered over to the toilets but stopped in his tracks in front of the girls toilets.

"Yeonjun oppa is just too adorable!"

"Huening Kai is way cuter!"

"I agree Huening Kai is so handsome! He's my favorite. I swear once you set your eyes on him you'll fall in love with him. He takes away all your sadness when he smiles."

Sunwoo lingered at the door for a moment but immediately started to run away when he heard the door about to open.

Huening Kai. What a beautiful name, Sunwoo thought.

 

Sunwoo sighed as he stepped inside his empty house. Of course Jennie wouldn't be home. She was probably out as usual. 

He walked into the kitchen and opened up the kitchen drawer before slowly pulling out a sharp knife. He held it up and stared at it before rushing upstairs and into his room. He threw off his school blazer and dumped his bag beside his bed. 

"If this is really true," he mumbled to himself before sitting down on his desk chair and opening up his laptop and logging in.

He typed in YouTube and clicked on the site. He started to type Huening Kai on the search bar and his laptop screen instantly popped up with videos. He clicked on the first one and that's when his whole life changed.

"Huening Kai," he whispered, touching the laptop screen.

 

"Now that I finally have him here. I can't let him go," Sunwoo dazedly said, gazing at the raven-haired boy.

Jennie deeply inhaled before slapping Sunwoo across the face and pulling him down into a headlock. He yelped in pain and tried to pull Jennie off of her. "Huening Kai, go! Hurry!"

Huening Kai looked conflicted as he stared back and forth between Jennie and Sunwoo who was struggling to get out of Jennie's headlock. "I can't leave you here with him!"

He didn't want to leave her behind.

"Just go!" Jennie grunted, as Huening Kai nodded before rushing past the fighting pair and out of the room not looking back.

Sunwoo finally got the upperhand as Jennie was slightly distracted by Huening Kai's escape and slipped out of the headlock before yanking onto the olders hair and throwing her onto the floor. Jennie screamed as then Sunwoo continued to kick her down over and over again.

Jennie's screams filled the house as Huening Kai hurried down the stairs and ran over to the front door. His hand resting on the door handle for a few seconds before he opened the door and rushed out of the house. The cold wind immediately hitting him. 

He toppled over onto the pavement and fell onto his hands and knees. His hands painfully scraping against the rocky pavement but he didn't care as he pushed himself back up and continued running down the street not realizing that he was on the road when a car turned a corner and stopped right in front of him about to hit him until he screamed whilst holding his hand out to stop.