Chapter Twenty-Two

Cloaked Heart

The car immediately came to a skidded holt as Huening Kai squeezed his eyes shut in fear. He hadn't realized that it was Jungkook, Jimin, Soobin, Taehyun, Yeonjun and Beomgyu in the car. 

"Huening Kai!"

That voice sounded familiar. It sounded exactly like Yeonjun. His eyes slowly fluttered open and landed on everyone. A sigh of relief escaped from his lips as he burst into tears. He could finally see everyone again. Overwhelmed by his emotions of happiness and relief, he ran over to the first person he could reach which was Beomgyu. 

"Hyung," Huening Kai bawled, as Beomgyu tightly embraced him into a hug. "I was so scared and alone."

"You're safe now," Beomgyu reassured the younger, his black locks whilst they rocked back and forth on their toes.

Jungkook instantly began typing away on his phone whilst leading Jimin back to the car to give the TXT members space to talk to Huening Kai. "I'll tell everyone that we've found you."

Huening Kai nodded, still being embraced in Beomgyu's arms as he watched the two BTS members walk back to where the car was parked in the middle of the road.

Soobin hid behind Yeonjun crying as he pressed a hand onto his mouth not wanting anyone to see that he was crying like a baby. He felt guilty for not being a good leader and doing his best to find Huening Kai. All this responsibility caused him to question his leadership and if this position was really the best for him in this group. He couldn't even do one thing right without messing up. How could he possibly lead a group?

Yeonjun noticed that Soobin had disappeared until he turned around and realized that the brown-haired younger was right behind him but had his back turned away from everyone. His heart dropped at the sight. Soobin was having a breakdown but he was the only one to have seemed to notice.

"Soobin-ah," Yeonjun called out, grabbing Soobin's wrist and attempted to spin him around so he could face the younger but Soobin shook his head and turned his face away whilst holding his other hand out to stop Yeonjun. 

"I'm fine. I'm fine. Just please don't make a big deal about it," he sniffled, letting out a whimper as he tried to fight back a sob from forcing its way out of his mouth. "This is about Huening Kai. Not me."

"Soobin don't be like this. Stop blaming yourself for this!" Yeonjun exasperatedly said, a pout forming on his lips as he stared at the younger.

Soobin couldn't hold it anymore. He had to let out this anger and self-hate he's been holding back. 

"But it is my fault! It is my fault that Huening Kai went missing! It's my fault! I'm a horrible leader! I can't do anything right!" Soobin snapped, causing everyone's eyes to be on him including Huening Kai's.

Silence filled the cold windy air as no one said a word after Soobin's emotional outburst. Yeonjun blinked at him with shock and hurt. Taehyun opted to casting his gaze onto the road. Beomgyu looked away deep in thought whilst Huening Kai's eyes stayed on Soobin—their eyes locking.

"It's not your fault hyung," Huening Kai spoke up, pulling away from Beomgyu's embrace and slowly starting to walk over to Soobin who broke their intense eye contact and stared down at the road as he bit down on his lip.

Soobin shook his head, his confidence wavering as he backed away not wanting Huening Kai to get closer to him. "All I ever do is hurt people."

"Soobin hyung you know that's not true!" Taehyun whined, his head snapping up to stare at Soobin.

"He's not thinking right so he's saying stupid things," Yeonjun bitterly gritted, disregarding everything that Soobin had said causing Soobin to glare at him with anger and disbelief that Yeonjun could carelessly ignore his feelings. 

"You never understand," Soobin shouted, resulting in Yeonjun to flinch at Soobin's harsh tone. 

Beomgyu hated when the pair would argue—their fights were deadly and hurtful. It almost felt like their words were being thrown to him that's how mean they were. When the fought, neither thought of how cruel their words were especially when they were both upset.

Yeonjun narrowed his eyes at Soobin and let out a scoff as he folded his arms. "What do you mean I don't understand?"

Soobin was quiet, not wanting to elaborate further as he kicked tiny rocks on the road whilst pursing his lips. 

"What do you mean I don't understand Soobin?" Yeonjun repeated, this time more demanding. 

Huening Kai's gaze nervously flickered back and forth between Yeonjun and Soobin—he didn't want to see them fight. The old Huening Kai would have felt happy seeing this but the Huening Kai just wanted everyone to be happy. He wanted everyone to stop fighting. He wanted Soobin to be happy even if it meant that it wasn't with him.

"Guys please don't argue," Huening Kai pleaded before turning around to face all s and looking at each and every member. "It's no one's fault. It was my fault for deciding that it was a good idea to walk around in a place that I wasn't familiar with. It was my fault. No one's fault. So let's please stop fighting."

Soobin guiltily looked away, realizing that once again he had made everything about him ignoring the fact that Huening Kai was safe and back with them. He deeply inhaled before turning to face their maknae with a small smile and walking over to him to pull him into a tight hug—almost squeezing the life out of the boy. 

"Please don't ever do that again," Soobin muttered, closing his eyes shut and indulging in Huening Kai's presence. He had missed this. He had missed everything.

Taehyun noticed how quiet Beomgyu was and ambled over to the auburn-haired older. They stood side by side as Taehyun slipped his fingers into Beomgyu's, their hands intertwining as Beomgyu slightly blushed whilst chewing on his bottom lip. He silently thanked Taehyun for comforting him even though he wasn't really sure what he felt towards the younger.

 

"You think they're okay? It looks a bit heated." Jungkook worriedly asked, carefully watching them from the car window. 

A small smile made its way on Jimin's lips as he rested a hand on the younger's bouncing knee causing Jungkook to turn to stare at him. "They're fine. They just need time to talk everything out especially after everything that happened."

"You know," Jimin continued, staring into the distance. "I remember back in our trainee days when you used to stupid things like running away. We used to scold you and yell at you to never do things like that again. It makes me proud to see the way you turned out. If we had never told you off, who knows what type of person you would be today."

Jungkook grinned, grabbing a hold of Jimin's hands. "Thank you. For setting me on the right path."

Jimin just smiled as he used his other hand to gently pat Jungkook's head. 

 

Jungkook and Jimin had dropped them off at the BigHit building seeing as everyone wanted to have a meeting about Huening Kai's disappearance and to talk about what happened. Jungkook parked the car on the side of the road. The tall building coming into view as Jungkook turned the engine off before facing everyone in the back seat.

"Just tell them everything that happened and you'll be fine. They'll sort this out to make sure this never happens again," Jungkook said, letting out a sigh.

Huening Kai nervously fiddled with his fingers. His mind racing back to Jennie. He wanted to know if Jennie was okay. If she was safe but he knew he couldn't go back there. Sunwoo was..he was dangerous and would hurt him if he went back. He was here now and he couldn't do anything about it.

"You'll be fine," Jimin reassured, reaching over from the front seat to pat Huening Kai's thighs.

The tension surrounding Soobin and Yeonjun was suffocating. Neither of them said a word to each other or batted an eye at another after their fight. Soobin wasn't in the right state of mind to say anything to Yeonjun right now. All he wanted to do was get this meeting over with and head back to their dorm to talk things out with Huening Kai and sleep.

"Let's do this," Beomgyu unenthusiastically mumbled, opening the car door and jumping out—waiting for the other members to follow. 

"We'll stay in the car and wait for you guys when you're done," Jungkook loudly said, rolling his window down.

The TXT members nodded as they stood side by side staring up at the building.

Yeonjun, Taehyun and Beomgyu started to walk towards the entrance as Soobin and Huening Kai lingered back.

Soobin could see how nervous and scared Huening Kai was and opted in lacing his fingers with the youngers, comforting him. "We'll be there as you're support. Just tell them everything that happened to you when you went missing."

Huening Kai closed his eyes, his mind flashing back to when Sunwoo had led him to his house before he opened them back up again and stared at Soobin. "Okay."