Chapter Twenty

Cloaked Heart

 

"How are we gonna find him if we don't exactly know where he is?" Beomgyu slowly asked, chewing on his bottom lip as everyone turned to stare at him. 

Just as Namjoon was about to reply, his phone sets of with a ping causing him to fish it out of his pocket and hold it up to his face to read the several messages he was sent. He slightly grimaced, realizing how much trouble they were in for leaving their dorm without informing their staff. "They're pissed."

Jungkook nonchalantly shrugged whilst frowning, his hands still intertwined with a shaking Taehyun. "This is more important. A kid is missing for s sake."

Beomgyu's eyes widened in shock. He had never heard their sunbaenims swear before so it was weird to see a different side from their usual calm and relaxed personalities. 

"Language,"  Jimin gritted, throwing Jungkook a look of disapproval. 

Namjoon sighed, typing out a quick text on his phone before shoving it back in his pocket and looking up at everyone. "I'm gonna go back since the other members are home now. I'm gonna explain the situation. I'll be back," he stared at Jimin and Jungkook with a look of worry, "make sure they're safe and help them find Huening Kai."

With that, Namjoon was out the door leaving Jimin, Jungkook, Taehyun and Beomgyu in the living room. A tense silence falling over them.

 

"We should head back now," Soobin sniffled, pulling away from Yeonjun's warm embrace. 

Yeonjun grabbed Soobin's arm and span him around, locking eyes with the younger. "Tell me you don't..blame yourself for this."

Soobin stayed silent, nervously flickering his gaze over to the floor. He didn't want Yeonjun to worry over him. He didn't want to have to be a burden again. "I.."

"It's not your fault," Yeonjun firmly said, intensely staring at Soobin.

Soobin slowly pulled his arm out of Yeonjun's grip and scratched the back of his neck whilst avoiding Yeonjun's eye contact. "We should go back now. This is about Huening Kai not me."

"Soobin-"

Before Yeonjun could finish his sentence, Soobin hurried out of the kitchen and joined the others causing everyone's eyes to be on him which made him feel embarrassed for hiding away instead of comforting Taehyun. 

"Hyung, you okay?" Beomgyu worriedly asked, concern etched on his features. 

Soobin nodded before plopping down onto the couch next to Taehyun.

Yeonjun emerged from the kitchen and decided to sit far away from Soobin. It was better they had some space. He didn't want to argue with the younger. They had gotten this far and he wasn't prepared or ready to lose Soobin once again. 

"I was thinking we search the area and ask around whilst showing pictures," Jungkook suggested, standing up from his crouched position in front of Taehyun and stretching his arms above his head. 

"Mm, sounds like a plan," Jimin said, pulling his phone out to text Namjoon the plan they had come up with.

Beomgyu got out his phone and started scrolling through his camera roll. "I'll find some pictures of him."

Jungkook shared a look with Jimin. "We'll get the car started and wait for you downstairs."

The four of them were left in the living room as no one was able to look each other in the eye. They were all ashamed for the way they treated Huening Kai especially Soobin. He wished it could have been different and maybe this wouldn't have happened. Huening Kai wouldn't have felt the need to runaway. He wouldn't have felt..alone.

Suddenly, Taehyun burst into a heart-wrenching sob. His whole body shaking. "I..It's..my..fault..I..wasn't..a good..hyung to him."

Beomgyu, Soobin and Yeonjun immediately comforted the younger—wrapping their arms around his body.

"It's okay Taehyun-ah. Please don't cry anymore. It's no one's fault," Yeonjun soothed, rubbing Taehyun's trembling hands.

Soobin could feel himself fighting back tears as he bit down on his bottom lip and instead focused on comforting Taehyun. He needed to put s first instead of himself. 

Beomgyu pouted, resting his head on top of Taehyun's shoulder and intertwined his fingers with Taehyun's. "No one blames you Taehyun."

"We'll find him and bring him back home," Soobin said, his eyes watery and his voice shaking as he stared at the others.

 

 

"Sunwoo used to have a best friend but he died."

Huening Kai lifted his head up from his lap and slowly blinked at the girl talking to him in confusion. She had dark brown hair and eyes that reminded her of a cat. She was staring back at him, almost as if she was waiting for his permission to continue.

She introduced herself with a soft smile. "I'm Jennie. Sunwoo's adoptive older sister."

Huening Kai nervously swallowed, fidgeting with his fingers. "Huening Kai but I prefer to be called Kai."

"Well Kai, wanna hear the rest of the story?" Jennie raised an eyebrow at the raven-haired boy.

Huening Kai nodded, sitting up. 

"Sunwoo and I grew up together. My parents died in a crazy freak accident and Sunwoo's parents ended up adopting me. I became his adoptive older sister. Sunwoo used to have a best friend that he loved and cared about a lot. They did everything together until he died because-"

"What the  are you doing?" Sunwoo growled causing the pair to jolt in fear and stare up at the red-haired boy who was towering over them.

Jennie visibly gulped, shaking her head whilst holding her hands up. "Sunwoo..I was just..he was scared so I was just-"

"Sharing something personal. How dare you talk about him like you really cared?!" Sunwoo snapped causing Jennie to whimper and flinch in fear.

Jennie's hands were trembling as she tried to reach out for her brother but was only backhanded across the face.

"You never ing learn Jennie," Sunwoo hissed, yanking hold of Jennie's hair and pulling her towards a room.

Huening Kai was sobbing and hugging himself tight as he watched Jennie scream whilst Sunwoo was dragging her by her hair. 

He couldn't take this anymore. He was terrified of Sunwoo and just wanted to go home but at the same time he didn't want to leave Jennie here alone with him. Sunwoo was abusive and had anger problems.

"Please..please don't hurt her," Huening Kai hoarsely whispered, tears streaming down his cheeks as he watched the door slam shut.

 

Beomgyu, Yeonjun, Soobin and Taehyun piled into the backseat of the car. The cold and windy breeze fanning their bodies as Soobin shivered, goosebumps rising against his skin as he closed the car door shut.

"Where exactly did Huening Kai tell you he was going?" Jimin asked, turning around to stare at Taehyun who was holding hands with Beomgyu.

"I don't exactly remember but he did say he was going towards the inner part of the city," Taehyun said, feeling slightly guilty for not being a big help.

"I guess that's a start," Jungkook sighed, turning the car engine on, "put on your seatbelts."

They did as he said as the car began to drive onto the road passing by apartments, houses, shops and people. Soobin gazed out of the car windows, his head resting against the glass and his eyes shutting close.

He just wanted Huening Kai to come back home.