Chapter Nine

Cloaked Heart

Pathetic.

Selfish.

Weak.

Soobin cried as what Huening Kai said to him replayed in his mind over and over again like a broken record. The way the younger had stared at him with so much anger scared him. He had caused Huening Kai to be this way. To hate him. To say these things to him. If only he stopped caring so much about the way he felt about Yeonjun and focused on more important things, this wouldn't have happened. He wished he had never told Yeonjun how he felt. He should have lied or laughed it off but instead he gave in. He gave in not even caring or thinking about the consequences. 

Slowly Soobin realized he had brought himself to a park. An empty park. Even though it was practically dark, he still expected a few people but there was no one. Sniffling, the dark-haired boy plopped onto the nearest bench whilst hugging himself close. There was no point of him going back—all he ever did was make things worse even by being there he caused Beomgyu and Huening Kai to argue.

A vibration coming from his pocket snapped Soobin out of his thoughts as he fished around for it before pulling it out and blankly staring at the screen. Yeonjun's name flashing across the screen. Biting his lip, he shakily swiped his thumb across the screen answering the call.

"Soobin, where are you?!" Yeonjun worriedly shouted through the phone.

Soobin stayed silent, the phone pressed against his ear as he stared around the park—his vision blurry from his tears. "It doesn't matter anymore. I don't matter."

"Yah..don't say that! Just tell me where you are Soobin! I don't care how dark it is I'm coming to find you," Yeonjun desperately said. Soobin could feel his pain and worry from his voice.

He hesitated, not wanting to be found. He didn't want to talk to anyone right now. All he wanted to do was to be by himself. Things were better off like this. He wouldn't cause any more problems. 

"I have to go," Soobin muttered, barely above a whisper.

"Soobin! Soobin! Please just tell me where you are. Don't do anything stupid," Yeonjun begged, his voice cracking.

"Why do you care so much? We're on a break remember," Soobin bitterly said, remembering how Yeonjun slipped his hands out of his when saying he wanted to take a break.

The line was silent as Soobin wondered if Yeonjun had hung up, ready to end the call.

"I love you! That's why I care so much because I love you and I can't help but love you. I know I've-"

Soobin's eyes widened at what he just heard. Yeonjun loved him? Loved? They had never crossed that barrier yet and it was new for Soobin to hear that Yeonjun loved him. He wanted to hear it again. Again and again.

"You lov-love me?" Soobin stuttered, the word 'love' slowly rolling off his tongue.

"Yes now please Soobin. Tell me where you are," Yeonjun said.

Soobin sighed. "I'm at the park."

"Stay put I'm coming."

Soobin hummed before hanging up and gently dropping his phone on his lap. His stomach was fluttering knowing that Yeonjun loved him. 

If Yeonjun loved him then it wouldn't be a problem if Soobin said it back but he still was unsure of what he really felt. Was it love? Infatuation? Lust?

He didn't know.

 

"Beomgyu wait," Taehyun called after the auburn-haired boy whilst rushing towards him. Beomgyu didn't stop, he kept walking causing Taehyun to have to catch up to him. "Hyung!"

Taehyun grabbed a hold of Beomgyu's arm causing the older to stop walking and turn around with annoyed scowl. "What Taehyun?"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being such a jerk to you. Yeonjun hyung. Soobin," Taehyun softly said, his grip on Beomgyu's arm loosening.

Beomgyu shook his head, yanking his arm out of Taehyun's grip. "Then why did you go along with Huening Kai? What did you get out of being a bully?"

"He said-I-" Taehyun groaned, not knowing how to explain himself.

Beomgyu silently stared at him for a few seconds before rolling his eyes and spinning around on his heels. 

"We made a promise to each other! That if I were to help him, he'd help me."

Pausing, Beomgyu scoffed whilst turning around—his arms folded whilst glaring at the younger with a look of disapproval. "And what would he help you with, huh?"

Taehyun opened and closed his mouth like a fish underwater as he scratched the back of his neck. "He..he'd help me tell you how I felt."

Beomgyu's face fell as he blinked at Taehyun, his brain trying to comprehend the words that just came out of Taehyun's mouth. "W-what?"

"I-I like you. A lot," Taehyun mumbled, shyly casting his gaze to the shiny wooden floor.

Not knowing how to react, Beomgyu slowly started backing away. "I can't do this right now. I-I have to go."

"Hyung, please. Let's just talk about it," Taehyun begged, tears forming in his eyes whilst staring at the scared expression on Beomgyu's face.

"Soobin needs us," Beomgyu trembled before walking away leaving an upset Taehyun to stare after him.

 

Soobin's breath hitched in his throat as his eyes landed on Yeonjun who was bent over—holding his knees whilst panting near the park entrance. 

"Idiot," Soobin muttered under his breath as he bit back a smile from spreading on his face. 

Yeonjun walked over to where the younger was standing expectantly near the bench and pulled him into a tight hug. "Don't ever run away like that again. You scared me."

Soobin squeezed his eyes shut, his body melting into Yeonjun's embrace as the sweet smell of Yeonjun's shampoo evaded his nostrils causing Soobin to sigh. He missed this. 

Suddenly, Soobin felt empty as he opened his eyes to see that Yeonjun had pulled away and was nervously staring at him. "There's something you need to know about Huening Kai."