Chapter Two

Cloaked Heart

"What the heck did you say to Yeonjun hyung?" Beomgyu hissed, bursting into their bedroom which startled the brunette-haired boy.

"I just said I needed space," Soobin shrugged, staring up at the younger who was practically throwing daggers at him. "I didn't mean to hurt his feelings."

Beomgyu scoffed, rolling his eyes. "But you didn't seem to mind when you yelled at him?"

Soobin got out of bed and slipped on his socks before sidestepping Beomgyu. "Why do you care so much?"

"Are you seriously asking me why I care? Are you that stupid?" Beomgyu exasperatedly seethed, shoving Soobin—preventing him from leaving the room.

"Yah," Soobin angrily shoved him back, "don't forget I'm older than you."

Soobin could feel his blood boil as anger and fury pulsed through his veins. He hated how Beomgyu always wanted to be in control of every situation and spoke down to Soobin like he was better than him. The younger was making things worse. If only he would just  out and mind his own business then maybe he would still be talking to Yeonjun like a normal human being but no the younger wanted to act like a mediator when things were already complicated. 

"Maybe if you weren't so immature," Beomgyu shot back, getting in Soobin's face whilst glaring at him.

"What's going on?" Huening Kai innocently asked, entering the room through the small space that the door had left since Beomgyu was practically blocking the door from opening any wider.

"Nothing," Soobin grunted, taking this as an opportunity to escape the threatening tension in the room. He needed to breathe and he couldn't with Beomgyu pissing him off and getting all up in his personal space.

Before Soobin could even take a minute to regain his composure, Taehyun grabbed onto his arm. "We need to talk."

Irritated, Soobin yanked his arm out of Taehyun's grip and backed away. "No we don't. There's nothing to talk about."

"Hyung why are you acting like this?" Taehyun hesitated, eyeing the older warily.

"It's all of you that are driving me crazy. I need air," Soobin snarled, shouldering past Taehyun and walking over to the shoe rack where he grabbed his vans and squeezed his feet into them before grabbing his padded coat.

"Where are you going?" Taehyun called out, watching Soobin leave the dorm in a flash and slamming the door shut.

 

The ice-cold breeze fanned Soobin's face as he held tightly onto his coat, throwing his hood over his head to make sure that no one would recognize him. He just needed to be alone right now to think. He felt like he was about to explode if he stayed in their dorm any longer. Aware that he would be in big trouble for leaving without letting their managers know, he nervously started chewing on his bottom lip whilst walking through the half-empty streets of Seoul.

He hadn't realized tears were running down his pale cheeks as he slowly brought his hand up to his face to wipe them away. Everything had made him feel stressed and overwhelmed—he didn't know how much longer he could take of treating Yeonjun like this especially if it meant jeopardizing his other relationships with the other members particularly Beomgyu. He feared they would end up getting into a fist fight soon if they didn't sort this out.

Despite the situation, he knew he couldn't cower away from distancing himself with Yeonjun. Like he said, his feelings would disappear if he spent less time with the older. Beomgyu didn't understand that and thought he was just intentionally being mean because he wanted to. 

A few hours passed by of Soobin sitting on a bench at their local park. Anxiety started to kick in when he became conscious of how late it became. It was verging close to night time and he knew how worried everyone was going to be. 

Quickly, he sprung up from the bench and immediately started making his way home whilst hugging his coat tighter against his body. In spite of it being spring, it was still cold as heck.

Finally making it back into their dorm, Soobin pulled of his shoes before placing it neatly back onto the shoe rack along with the other shoes that they kept there. 

From what it looked like, the other members must have went to sleep—or so he thought so.  

"How could you run off like that Soobin-ah?" Their manager scolded, stepping into view with Taehyun, Beomgyu, Yeonjun and Huening Kai behind him. They all worriedly stared at Soobin whose head was bowed in guilt.

"I'm sorry manager-nim. I just felt like taking a walk," Soobin mumbled, chewing on his bottom lip—something he found himself doing often.

"If you want to do that then next time please ask one of the managers to accompany you. It's not safe for you to be out there without any protection," Their manager sighed, walking over to Soobin and resting a hand on his shoulder. "Don't do that next time Soobin."

Soobin obediently nodded. "I'm really sorry manager-nim."

Jaehyuk turned around to face the other members. "I want everyone to head to bed. We're going to have to film the dance practice tomorrow."

A chorus of 'yeses' filled the living room as Jaehyuk briefly nodded—giving Soobin one last reassuring look—before leaving their dorm. 

There was still tension in the room and he knew he was the cause of it.

"Hyung," Huening Kai strolled over to Soobin, "where did you go?"

"To the park," Soobin sighed, not in the mood to deal with their maknae's overhyped behavior.

Huening Kai jumped up and down whilst tugging on the older's arm. "Hyung why didn't you take me with you?"

"I wanted to be alone," Soobin grumbled, pushing Huening Kai's hand of his arm. Huening Kai's smile fell as he sadly pouted at the way the older was treating him.

Soobin flopped onto his bed unaware that a certain brown-eyed boy was observing him.

"Something could have happened to you," Beomgyu said, once everyone was settled in their beds.

Soobin scoffed, mentally rolling his eyes. "Like you even care."

Beomgyu immediately sat up and threw a look of disbelief and hurt at the older. "How could you-"

"Beomgyu just leave it. Huening Kai, please turn off the lights," Taehyun sleepily murmured.

Huening Kai rolled out of his bed and hopped over to the light switch before flicking it off. "Good night hyungs."

Soobin exhaled. Tomorrow was gonna be a long day.