A Promise

Unexpectedly Yours

11 years ago...

 

 

The little girl went back to the playground. To her dismay, the boy wasn't there. She sat at the swing and looked at the ground sadly. "And I thought he's my friend...", she said to herself.

 

 

Minutes later, she heard footsteps. She looked up to see the boy running towards the swing, but he didn't notice her. As the boy reached the swing next to her, he sat on it and panted heavily. He then turned to his side to find the little girl again. 

 

 

"Hi! You're back.", the little girl said. "You're here again?", the boy asked. The little girl nodded her head, "I don't have any friends here. And you're the only kid I knew here.", the little girl said sadly. 

 

 

The boy walked up to her, "Hey, don't be sad. You're the one who told me to be always happy. Where's that face?", he said as he smiled at her. The girl looked at him and smiled back. "By the way, I didn't catch your name.", the boy said. 

 

 

"I'm sorry but, my parent's told me that I shouldn't tell my name to anyone.", the little girl said. "Then I'll call you 'Sunflower'!", the boy said happily. "Why? Why 'Sunflower'?", the girl asked. "Because you gave me one. And that's the only way I'll remember you.", he said back.

 

 

"What's your name then?", the girl asked him. "My uncle said not to give my real name to anyone.", the boy said at her. "Aw, then what should I call you?", she asked him. The boy thought for a while, "Hmm... you can call me 'Xiao Huan Xiong'!". 

 

 

The little girl gave him a confused look. "What does that mean?", she asked him. "You don't know?", he asked her. The little girl shooked her head, "I'm still new here and I'm still learning to speak in Mandarin.", she said. 

 

 

The boy then smiled, grabbed a piece of paper on his pocket and a pencil and wrote something in it. He then gave it to her, "Then let's make a bet. If you knew what this means, I'll promise to be always smiling and happy because I don't want you to be affected.", he said to her.

 

 

"But what if we grow up and I still didn't know what this means?", she asked him. The boy laughed at her, "That's impossible. You'll know this once we get older.", he said. "But what if we don't know each other anymore when we grow up?", she asked him sadly. 

 

 

The boy paused for a while. He didn't know why but seeing this girl sad makes him sad too. He then vowed to himself, that no matter what happens, he will make her happy. "Then I'll come and find you, whereever you are. I want to see you smiling again.", he said to her.

 

 

---

 

 

Present time.

 

 

Dylan woke up as he heard clashing sounds from the first floor. "What in the world?...", he said to himself as he got up and went to the kitchen. He found his dad preparing a large meal. "What's the occasion, Dad?", he asked as he watched Chun. 

 

 

"Someone's visiting today so I prepared a special meal.", Chun said with a smile on his face as he set the meal. Dylan noticed the smile on his face, "Let me guess, the love of your life is visiting us, right?", he said with a teasing smile. 

 

 

Chun finished preparing their meal and noticed the look on Dylan's face. "Hey, don't give me that look. My fiance is coming back so I should prepare a special meal for her. And you're too young to understand this feeling.", he said. "Dad, Why are picking on me again?", Dylan whined.

 

 

Chun laughed at him, "I'm just kidding son. Go take a shower, she'll be here in a few minutes.", he said. Dyla went back to his room to get his clothes and took a shower.

 

 

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door. Chun opened it and a smile formed in his face and hugged the person. "Ella! I missed you!", he said then broke the hug. Ella smiled at him, "I miss you too, Chun!", she said.

 

 

Chun took her to the dinning room. Ella was surprised to see a lot of food on theit table. "You prepared this for me?", she asked. "Yeah, I know you've missed my cooking.", Chun said as he pulled out a chair for her to seat on. Ella took the seat while Chun sat beside her. 

 

 

"My son will be here on a few minutes. Let's wait for him.", Chun said. Ella looked at him, "Son? You mean the son of your boss who died with his wife years ago?", she asked. Chun nodded his head, "Yes, but don't mention that to him. He still gets emotional whenever you talk about his parents.", he said. Ella just nodded her head.

 

 

As on cue, Dylan came down and joined them. "Son, this is Ella Chen. Ella, this is Dylan Xiong.", Chun said. Dylan smiled to Ella, "Hello, Ella jie.", he greeted her. "Anyway, Dylan. We're here to tell you something.", Chun said as they started eating.

 

 

"What is it, Dad?", Dylan asked as he ate his food. "Next month, free up your schedule.", Chun said. "Don't worry Dad. I will just perform this project on our school and after that my schedule is free.". Dylan explained.

 

 

"Good, because we have a busy schedule on the first week next month.", Chun said. "Why? Is there anything special going on next month?", Dylan asked as he looked at the couple in front of him.

 

 

Chun and Ella looked at each other and smiled, "We are getting married next month.", Chun said.

 

 

---

 

 

"So your dad is getting married?", Wayne asked. "Yep, and he told me to bring you guys so there would be more people on his wedding day.", Dylan said. They are in the classroom as they talk. Wes, Wayne, Sam and Brent already received their invitations. "So are you guys free?", he asked them.

 

 

"Sure, I haven't been on a wedding since I was a kid.", Brent said. "I'm free too.", Wes said. They all looked at Sam and Wayne, "What about you guys?", Dylan asked. "I'll try to free my schedule.", Wayne replied. "I'll try to ask my mom later, but I don't have any schedule for next month.", Sam said. Dylan smiled, "That's great!", he said.

 

 

Then they heard loud stomping, followed with a shout. "Sunnee! They ran out of pancakes!", they heard Eunice shout as she entered their classroom. Sunnee who was answering her homework, look at her with a sad face. "Why? What about cookies?", Sunnee asked. "They said they're not making cookies today.", Eunice replied. Sunnee sighed and did her homework instead.

 

 

Wes looked at the plastic bag in front of him. Dylan gave it to him because his dad cooked too much food for them. He knew it was pancake and he doesn't eat one. "Hey, Sunnee.", he called. Sunnee looked at him. "Do you want pancake? I have one here.", Wes said as he took out the plastic bag. 

 

 

Sunnee's face lit up, "Really? Can I have it?", she asked. Wes stood up and gave it to her. "Thank you, Wes!", she said as she took out the pancake and ate it. "You're such a life saver.", Lucia said. Wes gave her a confused look. "If Sunnee didn't ate any pancakes in a day, our sunny girl in the campus will be gone for a day and will be replace by a gloomy one.", Cosmos said.

 

 

The boys sweat dropped with what the girls said as they all look at Sunnee who was happily eating the pancake. Dylan however, looked at Sunnee with a confused face. "Why does she reminds me of seven years old me? Why does she feel familiar? Like, I've known her before?", he said in his thoughts.