Courting - Day 1

Unexpectedly Yours

The next day, Pauline went to find Dylan who was currently talking to Sunnee. She cleared as she approached them making the two look at her. "Dylan, can I have your time for a while?", she asked. Dylan looked at Sunnee who nodded. Dylan got up and followed Pauline.

 

 

Pauline then gave him a stern look, "Tell me the truth, are you courting my daughter?", she asked. Dylan was suprised, but answered her, "Yes, Pauline jie. I'm courting Sunnee.", he said. She gave him a look, "Then tell me. Do you like musics?", she asked.

 

 

Dylan gulped and became nervous. "What should I say? Should I tell her the truth?", he asked in his thoughts. He looked down at his feet and took a deep breathe, "Yes, I like music.", he admitted. Pauline then scowled, "Sorry, but I won't allow you to court my daughter.", she said.

 

 

Dylan's eyes widened and he felt his heart drop, "But-", he tried to say but she cuts him off, "No buts, Dylan.", she stated coldly. Dylan paled but gained his courage. "Pauline jie. I know that you dislike music, but this is not about music. It's about my love for Sunnee.", he started to say. Pauline looked at him.

 

 

"Pauline jie, I love Sunnee so much. I'm willing to do anything for her. Me courting her will show how much I love her. Please give me a chance to prove my love for her. I'm willing to take risks just to get a 'yes' from her. I know that I'm not the perfect man for your daughter, I will never be, but I want you to know that I'll take care of her. She... she's the only girl I could ask for, nothing else could replace her in my heart. Pauline jie, Sunnee is one of a kind, I'm willing to accept your tests if that will make you approve of my feelings for her. I won't admit defeat, because everything that I will do for Sunnee is all worth it. Just a 'yes' from her then I'll be the happiest man in the world, and the luckiest man too. If she rejects me then I'll just continue being a friend of hers. I want to make her happy. She's the light to my darkness, she's everything to me... I promised her that I would make her happy, and I want to accomplish my promise. I... I just love Sunnee so much.", he begged as he bowed.

 

 

Pauline was shocked to see him like this. Although he had his head down, she could see the blush on his cheeks as he confessed. She could see his sincerity. She sighed.

 

 

"That was romantic and all...", she admitted making Dylan look at her. "Since you just confessed your love for my daughter, I'll give you a chance to court her.", she stated. Dylan smiled as he bowed, "Thank you, Pauline jie!", he exclaimed. 

 

 

"But... don't expect that this tests are easy. And call me 'Madam', okay?", she said. Dylan sweatdropped at her request but nodded his head happily.

 

 

---

 

 

After two days, they went back to Chun's house. And it was the start of Dylan's courtship to Sunnee. Today, Pauline asked him to clean their backyard. She gave him six days to court her daughter and her as well to approve him. 

 

 

Sunnee knew about this. Pauline made a twist for Dylan's courtship, she wouldn't let him talk or get close to her daughter unless he did his best on his tests. He would only talk to her if he passed at the end of the day. And now, Dylan is working hard at the backyard.

 

 

Sweats formed in his forehead as he cutted the grass to make it shorter and straight. Their backyard is not that big, but not that small either. After one hour of cutting, he then took the broom and sweep the dirts. He was about to finish cleaning the dirt when Pauline dumped a bunch of dirts at the other side of the backyard. 

 

 

Dylan sweatdropped at her actions, "She's really making it hard for me...", he said in his thoughts. "No, you shouldn't give up, Dylan. This is just your first test, and this is the easy round. If you want her to approve you of Sunnee then I should work hard.", he encouraged himself.

 

 

After Pauline went back inside the house, Sunnee who was eating her breakfast, saw what she did. She frowned at her mom, "Mom, why did you do that?", she whined. Pauline just laughed, "You know that I'll make his test hard. Stop complaining.", she said. "I know mom, but why did you have to force their neighbors to give their garbages to you to use on Dylan's test?", Sunnee demanded. Pauline just sweatdropped at her.

 

 

---

 

 

After they ate lunch, Dylan proceeded back to continue his work, but not without Pauline doing the same thing again. Sunnee finally had enough of her mother. As Pauline went back inside, Sunnee faced her, "Mom, you've been doing that ten times already! Can you stop it and just let him finish his test?", she pleaded. 

 

 

"She's right, jie. Let him finish the test naturally.", Ella said as she joined their conversation. Pauline sighed at the two, "Fine, I won't do it again.", she said.

 

 

Dylan threw the last garbage back at their huge trashcan. He then took off his gloves and wiped his sweaty forehead. "This is so tiring...", he muttered. "But I won't give up that easily.", he continued. He then decided to arrange the flower pots and cleaned it. 

 

 

When he arranged the last flower pot, he noticed a folded paper in it. Curious, he took it out and unfolded the paper. He noticed that it was a letter and decided to read it.

 

 

Hello, Little Raccoon. I know my mom will make you do hard tests in the next six days. Forgive her if she did something to make you unable to finish the tests. I'm not thinking bad things but... Even if she don't approve of you, I'm still willing to be yours. Don't take this as a negative thing, I'm telling the truth. Good luck, Little Raccoon. I know you can do it. :) XOX - Sunflower

 

 

Dylan smiled as he finished reading the letter. He folded the paper and placed it in his pocket, "Thank you, my Sunflower.", he said in his thoughts.

 

 

He looked back at the backyard and noticed the sunflowers are lacking of water. He watered the sunflowers as he hummed the tune of Sunnee's self composed song. He was smiling as he did this, he then decided to water sunflowers everyday. 

 

 

---

 

 

It was almost eight pm when Dylan finished his test. He got on the sofa as he inhaled and exhaled. Zi Ting saw him and decided to fetch Sunnee from the guest room.

 

 

Chun and Ella looked at Pauline who was looking at Dylan who has a tired look on his face. He already ate dinner with them but he lost half of his strength from today's test. "What do you think, jie? Did he passed the first test or not?", Ella asked. 

 

 

Dylan looked at Pauline who was now in deep thoughts. She has been watching him and she could see how he's determined to get her approve of him. She then sighed, "Today's test...", she started. Dylan closed his eyes waiting for her.

 

 

"Dylan passed today's test.", Pauline said. Dylan let out a sigh of relief and smiled. "You shouldn't be happy for now. You still have five tests ahead of you.", she reminded him. Dylan just nodded his head.

 

 

Sunnee and Zi Ting got down. Sunnee saw Dylan she was about to walk to him when Pauline accidentally blocked her way. "Since you've done well today, here's your prize and your comforter.", she said then walked away. 

 

 

Sunnee ran up to Dylan and sat beside him. She could see the tiredness in his eyes, but he kept his face calm and natural, "Good evening, Sunflower.", he greeted her. From his voice, she could also tell that he's really tired. She gave him a worried look, "You should rest well, okay? I can give you time to rest.", she told him.

 

 

He gave her a reassuring smile, "I'm okay. I'll gain my strength soon, don't worry.", he said. Sunnee grabbed his hand and squeezed it lightly, Dylan smiled, then his eyelids became heavier. Before he knew it, he fell asleep and accidentally layed his head on Sunnee's shoulder. She could only play with his hands as she stayed with him.