Dark Past

Unexpectedly Yours

"So tell me more about yourself.", Pauline said to Chun after they ate dinner at Chun's house. They were now at the living room with Dylan and Sunnee. "I used to work as a chef in Xiong's Mansion.", Chun said.

 

 

"Xiong's Mansion?", Pauline asked. "Isn't Xiong Dylan's last name?", she asked. Chun nodded his head, "Dylan isn't my biological son.", he said. "Let Chun explain first, jie.", Ella said. "As I tell you guys my life, I'll also tell Dylan's because he's involved with me.", Chun said.

 

 

"I used to work as a chef. And Dylan's dad was my bestfriend in college so after we graduated he took me as their personal chef. Years ago, he was married to Dylan's mom, it was an arrange marriage because Dylan's dad is rich. Mr. Xiong and Mrs. Xiong loved each other, then they finally got a child and named him Dylan Xiong Zi Qi. They were one big happy family back then. And I was almost envious because I want a family of my own too. But 11 years ago... Dylan's parents died.", Chun continued.

 

 

"What happened to them?", Pauline asked. "They were... murdered... while Dylan was out on a friend's sleepover.", Chun said then looked at Dylan who now has a sad look on his face. "Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't know that.", Pauline said as she looked at Dylan. Dylan gave her a smile, "It's okay.", he said.

 

 

"After that incident, Dylan became sad and he's always crying. He even skipped his meals and couldn't sleep. Dylan's dad entrusted me with him in case something happened to them since Dylan is their heir. So I took care of him until now...", Chun continued. Sunnee looked at Dylan who was looking at the floor sadly.

 

 

"It must've been hard for you to live in darkness...", Sunnee said in her thoughts as she looked at Dylan.

 

 

---

 

 

It was their last day of school before semester break starts and Dylan was walking towards their classroom with his head low. He knew that he should face the fact, but remembering that incident still haunts him. As he entered the classroom, he was surprised to find a sunflower on his desk. 

 

 

A smile formed in his face as he picked up the sunflower, he realized it was fake. But he held it as he sat down on his seat. He looked at Sunnee's seat to find her bag there, which means she arrived before him. "You never changed...", he muttered under his breathe.

 

 

As on cue, Sunnee came in the classroom with a plastic of cookies on her hand. She noticed Dylan and decided to greet him, "Hey!", she said cheerfully. Dylan looked at her and smiled, "Hey.", he said back. He then looked at the cookies on her hand. "Can I have some?", he asked.

 

 

Sunnee smiled and sat on Echo's seat and gave him her cookies. As they were eating, Sunnee decided to break the silence, "About last night, I'm sorry to hear your story.", she whispered. Dylan heard her, but smiled, "It's okay, I shouldn't be sulking because I know my parents are in a better place.", he said.

 

 

Sunnee kept silent as she ate, somehow she felt wrong to say that to him. "By the way, did you know who gave me this sunflower?", Dylan asked. Sunnee stopped eating as she panicked a little, "Should I tell him that I gave him the sunflower? He couldn't be mad, right?", she said in his thoughts.

 

 

"Why do you ask?", Sunnee asked him. Dylan shrugged his shoulders, "Nothing, somehow seeing sunflower makes me forget all the sadness I've been feeling.", he said. Sunnee looked at him in surprise, Dylan noticed the look on her face and laughed, "If you're thinking that I'm gay then you're wrong. Someone taught me to always smile so that's what I'm doing right now.", he said.

 

 

Sunnee just stared at him, somehow those words sounds familiar to her. "Could it be...?", she asked in her thoughts.  "If you keep staring at me I'll eat all of your cookies.", Dylan said making Sunnee snap out of her thoughts."You can't have my cookies!", she said in a childish tone making Dylan laugh.

 

 

"Sunnee, that's my seat.", a voice said from behind. Sunnee turned to see Echo, she stood up from Echo's seat and went back to her seat.

 

 

---

 

 

It was their free period again, the girls decided to hang out at the school's garden while the five heartthrobs stayed in the classroom. Brent, Wes, Wayne and Sam looked at Dylan who was staring at the sunflower with a smile on his face. 

 

 

"What's wrong with him?", Sam asked. "He's been like this since this morning.", Wayne said as they looked at Dylan. "Didn't he have a childhood friend before and he named her Sunflower?", Wes said as he remember Dylan telling them his childhood.

 

 

"Oh, so that's why he's like that when he sees sunflowers.", Brent said. He then shaked Dylan, "Earth to Dylan!", he exclaimed. Dylan snap out of his dream world and looked at Brent with a glare, "What?", he snapped. "You've been smiling like crazy since you held that flower! We wanted to talk.", Brent said.

 

 

"What do you want to talk about?", Dylan asked them. "Anything.", Brent said. Dylan sighed and turned his attention to his friends. "I want to know about your little friend back then.", Wayne said as they all look at Dylan. "Oh, Sunflower?", Dylan said as a smile formed in his face.

 

 

"Can you stop smiling? It's freaking us out.", Wes pleaded. Dylan laughed at him, "I can't help it. She's the only person who brightened up my childhood.", he said. "And guess what? I found her.", he continued.

 

 

They gave him a shocked look, "Really? Who is she?", Wes asked. Dylan gave them a teasing look, "I can't tell you guys yet, I want to tell her first.", he said. "But we're your buddies so why can't you tell us?", Wayne whined. "Yes, you guys are my buddies but I promised to her that I'll find her when we grew up. So now I'm sticking to my promise and I'll introduce myself to her.", Dylan said.

 

 

Wes patted his back, "Goodluck with that bro.", he cheered him on. "But can you at least give us any clue of who she is?", Sam asked. "All I'm gonna say is that you guys know her by her name.", Dylan said as he got up from his seat. "Dylan, wait!", they called for him but he already left the classroom.

 

 

Dylan smiled as he held the sunflower, then he looked at it, "Now that I have a courage to tell you who I am, I'll come and find you now as what I have promised.", he said to himself then walked towards the school's garden.