Chapter 25

Stockholm Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She teared down the package and it revealed a box, it wasn’t heavy nor big. She opened the box, and she wished she didn’t. It was pictures of her, a box full of it and underneath all her picture of a few small bits and pieces of her clothing on the night they took her. She wanted to break down, wrap herself in the duvet in this cold early winter and cry her heart out but she had no time to do so. She reached for her phone, calling Ha Neul but she kept on reaching voicemail. She gave up after the nth time. she felt more suffocated. Why wasn’t he answering? Is he the one who did this? No, I’m thinking nonsense!”, she managed to chastise herself. In between small sob, she tried calling Detective Cho and he answered at once. She removed the towel that was wrapping her head, put on a thick coat and slipped on a beanie as she made her way out of her house. She wasn’t thinking, she went out of her house immediately without telling anyone.

She went into a coffee shop that was ten minutes away from her house. She sped walk all the way to the shop. She looked around, looking for a familiar face and saw Detective Cho waving at her. She fumbled her way over to him. She took out the package she’d received and placed it on the table, away from her, directly in front of the detective. “Ji Eun, are your parents still clueless about what is happening to you?”, he asked as he started inspecting the box. Ji Eun hummed, replying to him. Her nose and ear were red from the cold air, and her damped hair didn’t help at all. “It was mailed to your house?”, he confirmed once again. Ji Eun nodded his head. “This morning, around ten in the morning”, she recalled. “The cloths underneath are the clothes I wore when they took me. I think they might be sending me more of it since they’re giving pieces of it”, she elaborated.

“We suspected the one who did this knew that your home was supervised by us. From the camera footage, there weren’t anyone suspicious. They might have climbed from the window or fire escape. We even checked about the two suspect who took you”, he explained. The double Js were out from prison. They were bailed out and currently no track of where they are. She was frightened but she had no time to be frightened. It was tiring to just be afraid of it, she needed to do something to get to the bottom of this and she was sick of getting sabotaged like this. “I think it’s about time you tell your parent about this”, the detective spoke seriously. “I’ll try”, and she meant it when she said she’ll try. “We will have one team that will guard you and another will track for the culprit. Is this also why you should tell your parents, they would eventually find out if there’s officers around you, okay?”, he assured her. Telling her parents meant that she would be suffocated at home, they are going to make her go see her psychiatrist again and she can’t do anything without them by her side. She didn’t want all that. She wanted to handle and finish it off once and for all. She thanked the detective for seeing her and politely declined his offer of sending her home. She mood was slightly lightened up by giving the package to the detective, far from her.

Once he left, Ji Eun made her way to the subway station. It was still broad daylight, she braved herself inside the subway, seated at the corner watching other human in the subway. She had not been in the subway for quite a long time, she missed the feeling of not being afraid. She went out after four stations and walked for another twenty minutes until she reached a neighbourhood, a high-end-modern neighbourhood. She stopped after passing by five houses. She pushed the doorbell button once. She could hear the sound of the electric bell ringing from outside, she pushed one more time, still nothing. Okay, last one. She pressed one last time and waiting for another five minutes. Still, nothing. She sat down in front of the door, his car was there, parked at his car porch. She folded her legs and waited for twenty minutes, still, nothing. She finally stood up and walked away. Back to her parents’ house.

“Ji Eun, you wore that to the interview?!”, her mother asked in a surprised voice. Ji Eun was wearing a baggy black shirt that was covered by her thick coat and sweat pants. She pulled her beanie off, smiling tiredly at her mother. “I didn’t go, ma”, she replied calmly. She could tell that her mother was taken aback, her eyes widened and she was holding a gasp. “When is dad coming home?”, she questioned languorously. “A few more minutes hopefully”, she replied. Her mother walked closer to Ji Eun who was sitting on the island chair in the kitchen. She stood directly in front of Ji Eun whose face was red. “Honey, are you okay?”, she worriedly inquired. Ji Eun instantly landed her face on her mother’s shoulder while she wrapped her arms around her small daughter.

“I’m tired, ma. I am so tired”, she slurred in between sniffs. “Let it out, love”, her mother cooed, rubbing her palm on her back. “I’m home”, her father announced and seeing her daughter was c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter