Chapter 19

Stockholm Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They arrived at a hotel, a hotel with a dim bar lounge. “This hotel has one of the best drinks, or maybe I just like it here”, he mentioned as he opened the door for her. She thanked him softly. There was a jazz band performing relaxing music, the lounge wasn’t crowded, but the seating was designed as if the designer wanted every guest to have their own privacy and personal space. It looked really expensive. Ji Eun followed Ha Neul who was walking directly to the bartender who welcomed him. He seemed like a regular customer here looking at everyone greeted him. “Hey Kai, we’ve got a newbie here, what would you recommend for her first sip?” he said as he took a seat on the tall stool, Ji Eun mirrored his action and sat on the stool. It was hard to sit on it but she managed to in the end. “the lightest of the lightest for the first glass” Kai said winking at her then proceeded to look at Ha Neul for his reaction. Ji Eun blushed slightly, her hands fanned her to calm down the blush.

“I’m Kai, by the way”, Kai introduced himself to Ji Eun, extending his hand to shake hers. Ji Eun took his hand and introduced herself as well, “Lee Ji Eun”, she informed with a smile. “So, what made you finally have the desire to drink?”, he asked curiously with his arms rested on the counter, folded, leaning towards Ji Eun who was opposite him. “I just want to try it?”, she answered uncertain. “Quit teasing her and fetch me my usual”, he warned as his hand shooed Kai away. “Okay, here’s what you do. I am only telling you this, okay?” he started enthusiastically once Ji Eun held her glass of her drink. Ji Eun nodded waiting for her alcohol drinking 101 class, quite excitedly.” Alright?”, he paused once again after explaining his trick, taking a deep breath. Is he nervous? Ji Eun thought seeing the frequent pauses he made.

 Ji Eun held her glass and chugged the whole thing. “W- wait”, he cautioned. Her glass was now empty and he sighed, “you didn’t listen to anything I said, right?”, theoretically asking her. Her eyes squinted as her face scrunched in horror, disgusted maybe. “It burns”, she remarked looking at her glass. “Savour each flavour, Ji Eun-ah”, he said encouraging her. “Eat this”, he shoved a snack from his chopstick to , he then wiped even though there were no stain on “How do you feel?”, he asked nervously. She nodded indicating she was fine and sober. He smiled as she sipped her second glass in one go.

“Should we try to give her soju?”, Kai asked jokingly, amused as he handed out another glass of the same liquid, refilling her glass. Ji Eun was starting to get a little tipsy when she was reaching for her second glass but she carried on because she was curious of the taste, each explosion of taste on her tongue. “I-I get it, I can’t weally fi-figure out the taste”, she slurred to Ha Neul. “Shes’s definitely drunk”, kai declared. “Quite impressive for beginners. I like her Ha Neul, bring her more often”, he mentioned as he took one shot of alcohol. He poured some more into two small glass and passed one to Ha Neul, he lifted the glass up before taking another shot together with Ha Neul. “Cheers”, was said as their glasses clinked together.

Ha Neul had a quite impressive tolerant towards alcohol, he had been drinking more than Ji Eun and he was still sober. He bid farewell to Kai and went to shake Ji Eun up to wake her up. “Ji Eun-ah”, but her head was rested on the table and was slurring inaudible words. Ha Neul tried to pick her up, bringing his hand underneath her knees and another at her upper back but she recoiled fast. She stood up mumbling ‘no’ repeatedly to Ha Neul.

“But Ji Eun-ah, we need to get you home”, he reasoned out with the drunk Ji Eun which almost seemed hopeless. Without any signs, Ji Eun jumped onto Ha Neul, more like climbing him from his waist until her hands were rested on his shoulders and her legs were wrapped around his waist. “The floor is falling”, she mumbled at his ear. Trying to keep his body straight with her weight on top of it, he looked at Kai for help. “I’ll call someone to take your car up to the lobby and good luck with her!”, he heard Kai said and waved him off.

“The strawberry one is suuuperb, maybe peach was nicer. Do they have chocolate? Chocolate, like cake. The ones I made. Do you like it?”, she asked him while she was hugging him like a koala bear. She’s not making any sense, he thought. He chuckled and entertained her anyways with yes and no to her question. He reached the passenger seat and slid her across his body but when he was about to close the door, she held his hands tightly and pulled him towards her. Her head shook while her face showed that she was about to cry as tears were forming at the edge of her eyes. “What’s wrong?” he asked as he drew closer to him. She buried her face in his chest, crying. “I-I don’t know”, she answered, not making any sense. He hummed, waiting for her to say more. “the floor was falling and everything seemed weird, like there’s two of you!”, she paused, and sniffled. “where’s the real you?!”, she looked into his eyes, terrified of something stupid.

“I’m here, don’t worry. I’ll be here with you.” He co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter