Chapter 11

Stockholm Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She ran and ran. This must be a sign, a fate, she thought. When she finally caught up to him. she held on to his arm, hoping he would stop walking since he didn’t hear her calling him from the start. He was startled by her touch that forced him to react in defense. He turned Ji Eun around, into his body with one arm across her chest and another on her neck, as if he were about to snap her neck like a twig. Ji Eun froze in shock, slightly pressured by how hard her back had landed on his chest and with his arm suffocating her breathing pipe.

When he realized it was a girl he was choking, he quickly released her. He spun her around to face him. He elevated her chin with his finger to see the condition of her neck. Ji Eun quickly covered her neck with her untied scarf. She tied it to hide a slightly red shade of her skin caused by him. His strong hands suddenly were squeezing Ji Eun’s shoulder, and slightly shaking it, demanding answer.

“What the hell are you doing?!”, he sounded really angry. Ji Eun stuttered in her reply. What happened to the gentle guy? She asked herself silently.

“Ex-excuse me, I-“, she paused, unsure of what to say. “would like to give you your coat back. Um, I’m the girl whom you helped at the um, bar. Could we meet up somewhere so that I can get this over and done with?”, she continued, embarrassed of her boldness. He was slightly shocked by how she was really straightforward, straightforward in a way that she actually initiated and chased after him. He smirked slightly to her and simply replied “no” to her. she quickly grabbed him arm again. He stopped and grunted at her. “I need to give you your coat, please”, she sounded like she was begging. “I don’t need it anymore”, he said. She implied it as if he didn’t want it because she had use it which made her pretty angry at his attitude. He then walked away.

            It was already getting dark and Ji Eun was really scared to walk to her apartment but she can’t turn back because she needed to protect her pride. Instead of heading towards the subway station, she went back in to the restaurant. She sat in the staffroom, contemplating whether to call her parent or Baekhyun for help. Well, she did work extra hours because she was talking to Baekhyun so, maybe she could give that excuse to him. Ugh, what do I do?!, she screamed mentally. She might sleep in the staffroom but with the other staff still working and her shift was over, they would have suspected something.

            Slowly, she stood up, walking to Baekhyun’s office. She lifted up her hand but stopped midway, hesitant. She turned around, thinking she would just try walking back. It wouldn’t be that bad, she convinced herself. “Ji Eun-ah?”. Ji Eun quickly spun around, embarrassed she was there. He must think I am a weirdo, lurking around his room, she chastised herself.

“I thought you went back”

“Yea, I was but..”

“I’m heading home, do you need a lift?”, he offered politely. Hearing that, Ji Eun’s eyes twinkled in delight.

“Is it really okay? I really don’t want to burden you, Mr. Baekhyun”,

“I told you, it’s Baekhyun or maybe Baekhyun oppa? Of course, it’s okay! A boss needs to take care of his employees! Plus, I want to give you the comments of the cakes earlier”, he flashed her a proud smile. With that, his fingers motioned her to follow him. she quickly followed him like she was his shadow.

“Both of us, your future leader, hopefully and I tasted the cake. I must say, we were quite impressed. I mean you didn’t have any experience working in this field at all but you are really good despite having no experience. It was totally hotel- worthy kind of cake.”, he started giving comments as soon as he started driving. They talked a little bit more of the cake until they fell into an awkward silence. It was comfortable silence to Ji Eun but apparently not to Baekhyun.

“You were scared, aren’t you?”, Baekhyun started asking when they were in the car. Ji Eun looked at him, surprised.

“I knew what happened to you, Ji Eun-ah. It was a pretty big thing, all over the news”, he spoke gently, with sympathy. Ji Eun nodded weakly, looking at her legs, speechless. She wanted to cry but she bit her lips, trying to hold it in. Maybe that’s how m knew her name? from the news? She suddenly thought.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were scared?’, he asked her again. She said with a croaked voice that she really wanted to overcome her fears but it was not going well, or progressed even a bit.

            When they finally arrived at her apartment. He insisted to send her to her doorstep but she said she was fine. She sternly said she was okay. She continuously thanked him. She was about to turned around and walk towards her apartment but Baekhyun grabbed her wrist and pulled her into a hug.

            “I really meant it when I said you can come to me about anything. You are very brave and I am proud of you! Share your pain, Ji Eun-ah. Tell me, let it all out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter