Chapter 18

Stockholm Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the day of the celebration, more of a congratulatory dinner for the workers. They settled down in a barbeque restaurant, the whole restaurant was filled by the workers. Rounds and rounds of alcohol was ordered as the workers started getting drunk. Everyone was dressed up in costumes as it was Halloween soon, they were having an early Halloween celebration. Baekhyun was sitting at the table with high authorities, including Ha Neul. She was supposedly there but she had declined Baekhyun offer to sit together with her two comrades. He was hurt, she knew. They had been very distant, they hardly text each other and what more to say calling? Lately, he had been cancelling most of their meetings. She tried to be understanding although it hurt her that they had not seen each other as much as they used to. Even if he were to come at her house, he would slump into the couch to get some sleep and she would hurriedly cook for him to eat when he had woken up. She honestly didn’t know whether to blame their distant on his workload or hers, or could it be something else.

Working in a company, Baekhyun definitely was set up to go for blind dates and meeting women in preparation to be the next CEO of the company. Ji Eun honestly had expected that although she felt jealousy creeping up but she tried to sustain it and be reasonable about it. She believed that they could last longer but she was all in vain. It was an awkward dinner, a very awkward one as she was mostly eating quietly and probably smiled to whatever her helpers were saying. Her eyes were fixed at Baekhyun, longing for his presence and love but it somehow felt one sided to her.

“Let’s move the celebration to the rooftop!”, one of the supervisors cheered as he made his way to the stairs. Apparently, it was a tradition in their annual dinner to drag the fun to the rooftop where they have a karaoke set and more alcohol. Everyone moved while Ji Eun stay put, she felt out of place but she had hoped Baekhyun stayed to at least talk to her. She moved closer to Baekhyun, blending in with the crowd, she stood next to him, walking slowly towards the stairs as the crowd slowly disappear. She waited for something to happen and it did.

She felt their hand slightly brushed each other’s and soon enough, he interlaced their hands together which brought an instant smile to the lady’s face. She blushed as he squeezed her hands a few times, giving her assurance that they were fine. She continued walking normally this time instead of slowly a while ago but she had been slowed down by the hand that was glued to hers. She turned around and asked “aren’t we going to the rooftop?” he nodded and suggested to stay down for a little while. She expressed her worriedness of people finding out about them as the news could easily travelled to his father’s ears and that could make his father cross but instead of bringing her to the stairs, he looked around and dragged her to a corner. He hugged her as soon as they reached the corner, it was tight as if it can quench the longing feeling that had been buried in their heart.

“I miss you so much”, he breathed and with that she tightened the hug and rested her face at the nook of his neck. They soon broke it off when they heard someone cleared his throat, revealing Ha Neul. “You better cut it out, people are searching for you”, he cautioned them, to Baekhyun mostly. He kissed Ji Eun’s forehead before heading straight to the stairs leading to the rooftop. Ji Eun stayed there for a while, flushing her feelings. ‘Let’s go, Ji Eun”, he cooed although there was still some coldness in it but it sounded warm. “You’re not forgetting about the dinner tomorrow night, right?” Ji Eun reminded him as she smiled to shake the sadness that had overwhelmed her. Ha Neul nodded as he patted his hands on her shoulder lightly, walking together to the rooftop. “Do you want some beer?”, he inquired as they were seated somewhere a bit isolated from the other. She shook her head lightly and asked for something non-alcoholic. He came back with two drinks in his hands. She sipped her sparkling juice, hissed at its gassiness. He chuckled lightly. “Have you ever tried alcohol?”

“Nope, not yet”, she said simply. He faked a shocked look and claimed that she should learn the art of dr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter