A new start

Our Beautiful Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eyes fluttering, Sumin stretched her arms out over her head as she yawned out the drowsiness of a good night sleep. This morning, she felt some aches on her body and as her mind blamed the work she did at the concert, her eyes caught sight of her body when the blanket slipped off. She blinked and a blush tinged her cheeks.

Sehun was in her apartment last night. They made up and back together again.

He left just before 5am after spending the night with her, not sleeping as they catch up on each other throughout the night. When he could not delay his departure any longer, he told her to sleep while he took a shower before getting back to his hotel. His flight was at 9.30am and the group would be leaving for the airport before 6.30am. Sumin wanted to stay awake while he showered and send him off, but she was exhausted and her eyes closed the moment he step away from the bed. She didn't even know whether he kissed her goodbye before he left.

Pulling the blanket to cover herself again, she glanced at the clock and saw that it was past 11am. She has never woken this late before. But that morning, she was contented to still remain in bed, basking in the clouds of happiness that enveloped her since last night. She replayed the events of the night, smiling as she remembered being held and loved by him. They had talked about how much they missed each other and how their life had changed.

The day began and the night ended totally unexpectedly. She didn’t think they would be back together when she woke up the previous morning, not when nothing has changed in his position. She had hoped not to be seen by him, more than content to soak in his face from afar. But she had missed him so much. When he held and kissed her, it’s everything she ever wanted. The only place she wanted to be. It didn’t make sense. Not when he still could not have a girlfriend. Her rational mind could not accept her decision. But she followed her heart. And she is bursting with happiness. No thoughts of the future if their relationship is discovered again. She’ll face the music then. For now, she doesn’t want to be alone again. She wants to be with him.

She reached out for her phone and saw an unread message. She couldn't stop the curl of her lips as she read the message.

From OSH

Sweetie, I'm boarding the plane now. I'm already missing you.

Rest well, I call you when I'm back at the dorm. I love you.

OSH. Although he had not changed his number, Sumin didn’t keep it in her new phone. Last night she had saved his number with his initial. She pondered as started to delete the name in the contact. After thinking through several options, she changed it to "The Only One" and felt pleased with the choice. At that, the haziness finally lifted off her brain. As the gears started working, she quickly got up. She needs to get to the doctor before it closed at 1pm since it is a Saturday and the clinic is only open for half a day.

 

"What's up?" Yerim chirped in as they connected through Skype.

Swallowing the food in , Sumin asked if she is disturbing her since it’s not their usual weekly dates. Sumin wanted her best friend to know the change in the status first. Yerim assured her it is fine. Her boyfriend is at the gym and she was just finishing laundry.

"Is this about last night? Did you see him? Did he see you?" Yerim questioned. She had been expecting the call and had worried when Sumin didn’t call first thing in the morning.

Feeling concern how Yerim was going to accept the news, Sumin beat around the bush first before she explained how Sehun saw her the previous night.

"He asked to see me after the concert," she answered quietly, averting her eyes.

"And... You met him after the concert," Yerim pointed out accusingly.

Sumin bit her lips and nodded. “He stayed the night,” she blushingly mentioned as she braced herself from the onslaught.

“WHAT!!”

“What the fxxk happened?”

Sumin dithered. Trying to find the words to explain last night. She caught Yerim’s gaze, demanding explanation. Doing her best, she tried to simplify her explanation.

“3 years. 3 goddamn years you pushed him out of your life. One meeting and you caved in,” her best friend concluded.

Sumin took a deep breath. Holding her friend’s shocked gaze evenly, she responded. “It’s been 3 years. 3 years of pain, hurt and loneliness. Yet, I am still in love with him. And he still loves me too. That one meeting, brought back a lot of happiness.”

The two girls held each other gazes. One held concern; the other gaze pleaded for understanding.

“I don’t want to be unhappy anymore. I don’t want to be alone. I want to be with Sehun,” she spoke softly.

With a sigh, Yerim nodded. She has seen her friend’s struggles. Sumin has tried to move on but her heart could not leave Sehun behind. She has always admired the depth of their feelings for each other. Their break up broke her too, because she has always rooted for them. Both of them made the other a better person. In her eyes, together, they were perfect.

In fact, it’s the beauty of their relationship that softened her heart to another person and why she currently has a boyfriend. She didn’t think her relationship is at the same level as Sumin and Sehun, but she had opened herself to love someone.

“I’m happy that you are happy. But Sumin-ah, I’m disappointed in you. I never expected you to drop your at the first meeting!”

“Yerim!!” Sumin was appalled.

Raising her eyebrows, Yerim asked, “isn’t it true? You slept with him last night. No wonder you are glowing.”

Taken aback at the forwardness which Sumin should have been used to, she was still speechless. Her jaw dropped and she could only blink at the laptop.

"How many times, huh? I bet you didnt get any sleep cos Sehun won't let you. He must be all over you," Yerim continued her torment.

 

Shaking her head to get rid of the befuddlement, she glared at Yerim before telling her that it was none of her business. But that did not stop Yerim who is enjoying the teasing, as she had missed those reactions from best friend.

"Did you just woke up? Is that why you are having your lunch now? God, he must have exhaust you."

"Could you please shut it!!" Sumin interrupted. Her face had turned red from embarrassment. When she saw that Yerim was going to continue, she warned her that she will stop the skype. When finally Yerim calmed down, Sumin told her she just got back from the doctor. At the questioning look, Sumin bashfully responded, "You know.. last night was unexpected. I.. I"

Yerim guffawed. "Good, I taught you well. But you've always been a good student."

"How is this going to work now? When we spoke a couple of months ago, you said that nothing has changed. You two can't be together. What did he say that made you changed your mind? He's quitting the entertainment industry?"

Sumin chewed on her food slowly as she thought of the question. Sehun is not quitting. She won't let him.

"He promised he won't take any more risk."

At the unconvinced look painted on Yerim's face, Sumin continued. "I'll cross the bridge if we get discovered again." Honestly, she wasn’t sure how they will handle this, but they will try their best.

Yerim could empathise her friend's state. She nodded understandingly. "I'll be here for you, always."

"Thanks. I know you will and I'm so grateful."

Her phone rang at that point. A smile broke on her face as she signaled Yerim to excuse her for a moment.

“Hi”

His heart expanded and warmth radiated from his heart the moment he heard her welcoming voice. After leaving her apartment, he was in cloud nine that they are back together. Yet, he had a niggling worry that it was a dream and that he was going to hate waking up from it. Thus, despite persistent questions from EXO members on their status, he remained tight lipped about them getting back together. All through the journey home, he wanted to talk to her badly, to be reassured that she will not walk away again. Hence, the moment he reached his room at the dorm, he called her. And it took just one sweet greeting from her to make him feel comforted. One word, so sweet and filled with affection.

“You’ve reached your dorm?”

“Yes. Just step in moments ago.”

“Hun, I’m on Skype with Yerim. Could I call you back shortly?”

“Ok. I go and shower. I miss you sweetie, so call me soon. Say hi to Yerim.”

Yerim watched her friend’s face. Her eyes had lit up when she saw the caller on her phone. When she spoke, Sumin radiated joy. Her friend had suffered enough. She wished that God favor the couple and no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter