Busan

Our Beautiful Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sumin smiled when her eyes landed on her father; a traditional man that despite his lack of physical show of affection, his care and love for his family is unmistakable. As she grows up, she appreciated his silent gesture; a slight nod, a raise of his hand and his straight gaze are filled with meanings. And on the occasional times he does speak, his words are taken to heart.

“Appa,” she briskly walked towards him, smiling widely as she reached her father.

Gruffly, he acknowledged her. Taking her luggage, he turned and walked to the car, with Sumin trailing a step behind.

“Appa,” she called out softly again. Another grunt in response.

“You didn’t have to pick me up. I could have taken the bus or taxi home.”

Turning his head slightly towards his daughter, her father informed her. “Omma wants some fresh seafood.”

Sumin nodded. Since her overseas posting, she tried to come home two or three times a year. Each visit tended to be quite short, so she rather spend the whole time with her immediate family. But her parents wanted her to greet some of their close relatives. Without pushing her towards familial obligation, it become part of the route home for them to stop near the market or the sea, to buy this and that at their relatives’ shops or shops near their relatives’ homes. There, she would find a few relatives hanging around, and that allegedly unplanned visit enabled her to greet them.

Sumin doesn’t mind. These are relatives she grew up with, part of the big family. Since she was the first one among her extended relatives that have gone to the big city to study, and then overseas for work, she is a favoured one. They often welcomed her with wide arms, proud of her achievements. After the second visit home, Sumin became wiser and will bring along some snacks from Hong Kong to give out as gifts during this supposedly “impromptu” meetup. And gratefully accepted the gifts that they have prepared for her.

 

At lunch, they talked about her planned return. SHe told her parents about asking for transfer to the Seould office. If that failed, she would seek another employment. Her mome was a bit worried about finding another employment, but Sumin reassured her that it would not be a problem. She also promised that she will visit home again before starting work in Seoul.  

“Are you going to take a nap later?” her mom asked as they ate fruits after lunch. “You must have woken up early this morning.”

She shook her head. Biting her lips, she wondered if she should pre-empt her parents about Sehun's visit later in the evening.

“Are you meeting Jenny later?”

Another shake of her head. “Jenny is out of town this weekend. But I’m going out for a while.” She observed her parents’ face, waiting nervously for further questions. She is not confident that she can withheld information about Sehun’s visit if they were to probe further. Fortunately, her mom simply nodded and stood up, picking up the empty plate.

“I’m making grilled seafood and I have marinated crab for dinner. Anything else you want to eat, Sumin-ah?” her mom asked expectantly. Whenever her daughter visits, she will prepare all her favourite dishes and Busan specialties. Especially since her daughter has gotten very skinny.

Her face brightened up. Her mom would be serving Sehun’s favourite dish. “Soup?” she asked cheekily.

“Of course, of course, there would be soup,” Omma chuckled happily.

 

Sumin craned her neck from inside the car to look out for Sehun. His train had arrived, and she had texted him the location of the car. As she waited, her heart started racing; it’s been several weeks since they’ve met, she missed him a lot. But that feeling is being overwhelmed by her worry about her parents’ reaction later. When she left earlier, she almost blurted out that she was going to pick up Sehun but her father had entered the kitchen just at that opportune time.

At the sound of the car door opened, she looked up and found her fully covered boyfriend. Fortunately, the autumn air is chilly in Busan, and the jacket over a hoodie and beanie pulled down low on a mask covered face could be deemed acceptable. She broke into a giggle when Sehun winked, his eyes twinkling signaling to her that he was smiling behind the mask. She quickly started the car and drove off.

When the car left the airport area, Sehun removed his mask and reached out for her hand. He sighed contentedly at the feel of her warm hand. Gently, he caressed the soft skin. Catching the small smile on her face when she made a quick glance at him, his heart burst in happiness. She is his happy pill. Squeezing her hand gently, he leaned back in comfort.

“How’s the train journey?” she asked.

“Nothing unexpected. No screaming fans, no one ask for autograph and I think no one took my photo,” he replied nonchalantly. Sumin had worried incessantly about his journey to Busan on his own, having imagined him being trampled by a horde of screaming fans.

“That’s good.”

“What about you?”

“Beside needing help from the crews to move two guys fighting for the seat next to me and refusing to give my number to a persistent handsome dude in suit, nothing else happen,” she replied coolly. Noticing his body had tensed up and raised from the seat towards her, Sumin chuckled. "So easily fooled!"

“That’s not fair,” he whined.

After a few comfortable silent moments, Sehun spoke. “Did you tell your parents that I’m coming?”

Sumin shook her head slightly. “I thought about it. I think it would immediately lead to the discussion about us. But you wanted to be there when that happens. So, I didn’t. Just told my parents I’m going out for a while,” she explained. Even though she tried to hide her worry, Sehun had picked up on it.

“It’ll be ok. We’ll convince them together,” Sehun squeezed her hand reassuringly.

When the car stopped at the traffic light, Sumin turned towards him.

Pasting an uncertain smile, she nodded. “If it gets bad, I may ask you to leave first. Could you then trust that I will speak for us?”

His heart dropped. Would it really come to that? He understands that her parents would worry about her, but she is no longer a child. He searched her eyes and saw it etched with worry. Before he could say anything, the light had turned green and Sumin returned her eyes to the road ahead.

“Su, I cannot lose you again.”

Sumin bit her lips. She had contemplated on not informing her parents about their relationship, but it was uncomfortable to hide it from them too. Her family had always had open communication and she would not want to be in a relationship where she has to hide it from them.

She took their clasped hands and placed it against her cheek. “I know. I don’t want too either.”

 

They stoppe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter