A New Path

Our Beautiful Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

There was a chapter posted yesterday. Don't miss that.

-----------------------------------

 

He stood and surveyed the apartment. It was small, really small with the living room barely the size of his bedroom at the dorm. But that’s living in Hongkong where space is a major constraint. In spite of the smallness, the room wasn't cramped. It was sparsely furnished with a 2 seater wooden couch that didn’t look very comfortable and a small coffee table in front of a 42” TV, the only luxury he saw in the room. The room was however squeaky clean with small touches of throw cushions and plant to soften the look.

Sehun took a few steps and noticed a tiny kitchen with a breakfast table with two chairs. Turning slightly, he noticed a door. Her bedroom, he realised. He was curious to see her room but wasn’t sure it’s right to invade her privacy. After several moments of internal debate, his curiosity won and he believed she wouldn’t mind.

The room was also small. There was a bed, a bedside table and a wardrobe. One of her paintings decorated the wall. His lips curled into a smile when he noticed the bedside lamp that he gave for her previous room. She kept it, he grinned happily. 

Then he noticed her bed and was surprised. It wasn’t a double bed, its either a super single or twin bed. He wondered if her boyfriend doesn’t stay over. Quickly he stepped into the bathroom and there was not a single men toiletries and only one toothbrush. He couldn’t deny the happy thoughts that maybe she’s not at that level of relationship yet. She is someone that do take physical intimacy seriously. For once, he was so glad that she is conservative.

Stepping back into the kitchen, he went to the fridge to get a glass of water. He was surprised to find it empty, only bottled waters, two apples and one small container of kimchi. No banchans? Sumin always has at least 4-5 side dishes in the fridge and packs of meat in the freezer. When he opened the freezer, it was empty except for a half filled tub of ice cream.

He didn’t understand why she lives this way now. Sumin cooks because she enjoys them. She believes good food feeds the soul. “Maybe she was just too busy recently,” he rationalised despite still feeling unsettled. He sat down at the couch to wait for her.

 

Feeling extremely nervous with regrets for inviting him filling her up, Sumin entered her apartment. He stood as she stepped into the apartment, returning her gaze silently. The tension in the air was palpable and their gaze was heavy with emotion.

After a couple of minutes of awkward silence, Sumin cleared . Noting he already had a bottled water on the table, she told him to sit while she take a shower. In the shower, she fretted on what they were going to talk, but she decided that after his earlier heartfelt confession, she would be open and honest with him. It was an opportunity for them to talk about their break up, 3 years later. 

 

She stepped out in her soft, often worned joggers and a simple tee, her standard sleeping attire before and after Sehun. She hesitated a moment on where to seat, unsure about taking the space next to him on the couch. She turned to grab the breakfast chair but halted at his voice.

“Sit with me,” he spoke softly.

Turning, she bit her lips as she looked at his expectant face. Walking back to the couch, she sat down, leaving as much gap as a two seater couch could offer. Clasping her hands on her lap, she waited nervously for him to speak.

"You must be exhausted." Sehun break the silence. "Thank you for still seeing me."

"It was ok. I hope you didn't have to wait long. I tried to come back as early as possible," she spoke softly.

"Not really. I got here about half an hour ago," he clarified.  The awkward silence returned.

 

"Su," he called out.

She raised her head, looking nervously at him. 

"Can we speak comfortably?"

She blinked and nodded. And then throw him a shy smile.

"Hyungs send their regards. They also told me not to come back until I sort everything out with you."

Sumin widened her eyes, flustered.

Sehun chuckled. "They knew I screwed up earlier. Forcing you to kiss me and saying those mean things. So I can only go back to them if you forgive me."

Sumin furrowed her brows in confusion. "Didn't I tell you earlier that I have forgiven you?"

"Err you did. What am I doing here now, then?" Sehun lightly joke, embarrassed at being caught in his lame excuse to be with her. She smiled wider at his cute behaviour.

Sumin looked curiously at him when he suddenly slipped down to the floor. Scooting closer to her, he lay his head on her lap. Removing her hands from her lap, she just stared at him, not knowing what to do.

 

"I want to catch up. I want to know what is happening in your life," he spoke softly.  "Was it as hard for you?"

Sumin breathed in deeply and reminded herself that she was going to be honest.

"It was hard. I cried so much," she whispered

Closing his eyes, he remembered when he last saw her in the bedroom, curled up crying on the bed. He could still hear her pleading for him. He felt the sting in his eyes but he wasn't going to cry. He wanted to hear about her life.

"Is that why you chose to work in Hong Kong?"

"Sort of. I was still very much affected by the break up. Even after I spend all hours on my studies, trying not to think of you. I was happy that your career restarted and you were doing well. But it also means that there was so much news about you." Lowering her hand, she started playing with his hair. Sehun basked in that familiar touch. "It made me miss you a lot more. It gets more difficult to forget you. So I took the offer to be away where I dont see your face at every corner."

"Does it help?" he asked.

"What?"

"Being in Hong Kong.. in forgetting me."

"Somewhat. I dont get reminded you everywhere I go, though I have seen your picture around here and there."

"Was it hard, settling in a new country? You didn't want to do it before," Sehun reminded her.

"It was. The new culture, a new workplace, having no friends. Fortunately, one of the interns also joined the team. So I started with one friend, who introduce me to others..and the work kept me busy. There were many things to learn and it was difficult, but it occupied my time."

"So you dont have to think about me?"

Her hand stilled..."Yeah.."

"Don't stop," Sehun said.

Sumin smiled. He has always enjoyed laying on her lap while she played with his hair. Sehun continued asking about the adjustment to Hong Kong.

"I saw the content of your fridge when I took the bottled water. Why aren't you cooking?"

She dithered momentarily before admitting that she has lost her interest in cooking. "Anyway, I often work late and would be having a quick dinner at my desk or at the shop near the office." 

"Do you miss cooking for me?" he asked.

"Eh hmmm.." she admitted.

"I missed your cooking. A lot. Kyungsoo hyung tried to cook for me often, whenever he has a bit of time. I always like his cooking, but I still miss yours," he sighed.

"I'm glad Kyungsoo oppa is cooking for you. I did worry about that. And I did miss cooking for you. Cooking was never the same for me anymore."

Sehun was confused. She seems to be still affected by the split. Yet she managed to move on.  "When did you stop loving me?" 

"I never did."

Sehun thought he heard her wrong. He raised his head and his eyes searched hers. How could she still love him when she is dating someone else. 

Sumin held his gaze. He seemed to be in disbelief. He blinked several times. 

"Do you still love me?" he asked, his voice filled with uncertainty.

"Yes." There was no hesitation at all.

He blinked again.

"Really?" his tone increased a notch.. the delight in his voice was obvious.

"Yes, I still do love you. I never stop loving you."  Sumin knew she was mad for admitting that to him. But baring her soul, talking to him honestly of her feelings has given herself wings of confidence and a comfort in her heart. She loves him. It felt wonderful to tell him that. No longer pretending or hiding her feelings. Enboldened, her lips curled slightly before she leaned forward and planted her lips softly on his.

Bashful at the unexpected kiss, she retreated back from his lips. But Sehun was not going to let go of the opportunity. His lips remained attached to hers, as he followed up on the kiss. Even as she backed further away from him, he leaned forward, raising himself to make sure, the kiss was not broken.  He had been dying to kiss her but had been restraining himself based on his promise, but this was her initiation and Sehun wasnt going to let it go. And when she backed herself into the couch, he raised one hand to hold her nape as he kissed her, coaxing her to respond to him, smiling happily when she easily succumb. She wrapped her hands around his neck while he tried to balance himself as he pressed himself as close as possible to her, deepening the kiss. But the annoying couch was not made for making out. He knocked his elbow heavily against the wooden support and pulled away from the kiss, cursing at the uncomfortable and unsupportive couch. Sumin could only giggle at his reaction. 

He stood up and pulled her into his arms and continued the interrupted kiss. Placing his hands on her waist, he lifted her up. Surprised, Sumin tightened her hold around his neck and her legs wrapped around his waist to to stabilize herself. Sehun hoisted her up higher and when she was stable in his hold, he walked her to the bedroom. Reaching the front of the bed, he stopped and lowered her down to the floor without breaking their kiss. When Sumin pulled away for a breath, his hands glided along her back as his lips moves down her jawline, kissing and on the heated skin. Sehun continued his attacks on her neck leaving her breathless. His hands run up and down her sides, tracing her wonderful curves. He savored the sweet spot under her earlobe, , kissing and finally it hard, fully aware that it would bruise. He loves leavi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter