XXIII. Drifting

Real and not Pretend : Book 2 — The Reality
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N) : Trigger Warning, soft angst. 

 

 

 


***

 


"Jennie?" she softly and carefully calls out.

"Yeah?" Answers the woman in question, eyes never leaving the book while scribbling notes.

"Have you seen the envelope where I store all the copies of my show contracts?" As Lisa opens yet another drawer from the study room which happened to be where they keep most of their files.

"No, the last time I've seen it was a year ago I think."

Lisa sighs. "Okay, sorry to disturb you. Go back to studying."

 

It's Saturday and second day of Lisa's rest day but Jennie decided to not break her usual routine of studying several hours a day on weekends. Lisa doesn't really need her envelope but as childish as it may sound, she just wants attention. She woke up earlier to an empty other side of the bed. She thought Jennie was down stairs cooking something but when she heard a loud sigh from the study room, she made a full u-turn back to the bedroom and sulk.

She had no idea how long Jennie must've been studying but it's been two hours since she woke up but Jennie is still in the room. She tried to have a distraction by playing a game off from her Nintendo Switch but it didn't last long. Jennie promised to spend all her weekend with her and this is what she woke up to. Part of her is sulking but the other part is just trying to make her logic understand that Jennie is just 2 months away from the licensure exam.

With all the pressure that Jennie has currently, she wouldn't want to add on to the headaches her girlfriend had been going through.


She steps out of the room and heads straight downstairs to whip something for the both of them, because for sure, Jennie will be hungry once she's done reviewing. Several minutes after, with hot pancakes, bacon and sunny side up eggs — because for the love of God she couldn't cook a — matched with a newly brewed coffee, Lisa sat on the center aisle and Jennie is still nowhere insight.

She tried to wait for a couple of minutes but her stomach growled for attention after the aroma of the bacon clouded her brain. Lisa eats as slow as she could possibly can in case Jennie would come down in a minute but her hopes crashed when she had finished her entire plate and not a shadow of Jennie came out.

With a sigh, she washed up all the dishes, draws a tray out and loads the plate and mug on it before she climbs up the stair towards the room.

Unable to knock the door, she just peaks her head in and finds Jennie scribbling with furrowed eyebrows — despite how disappointed she is, the site of a serious Jennie somehow had washed off all of it down the drain, her girlfriend is in her "A" game and who is she to ruin that or even get mad at it?


Jennie must've noticed her presence — or the scent of the bacon and coffee — as she looks up and smiles at Lisa.


"Hey. Still not able to see the envelope?"

Lisa shakes her head. "No, I'll look for it later but.." she walks in with the tray. "You need to eat."

Jennie's eyes widen and stares at the clock. "Oh my God. Baby, I'm so sorry." she immediately stands up and engulfs Lisa into a hug after the latter had placed the tray on the other side of the study table.

"It's okay, you need to take a break and get some breakfast. You know I'll burn the kitchen if I ever try to make fancy stuffs but I know it's decent." Lisa heard Jennie chuckle before their hug breaks apart.

Jennie stares at the contents before looking up, arms still on Lisa's shoulders before leaning in for a short chaste peck. "Thank you. I'll finish one more chapter then I'll get out. Sorry for neglecting you."

Lisa smiles, happy to know that Jennie is not purposely doing it. "Silly, don't be sorry. It's okay. Now eat your breakfast, I'll just be downstairs."

Lisa leans in for another quick kiss before she goes downstairs so Jennie could eat and continue studying.

 

 

With one hand petting the sleeping Kuma beside her while the other's scrolling through their group chats, Lisa waited for Jennie to come downstairs like what Jennie had promised to do so.

She waited for at least another hour but again, no signs of Jennie. And just that, Lisa stands up grumpily and walks upstairs, ready to give Jennie a word or two. This is not what she wants to do on her short day offs, this is not how she invisioned their first set of weekends together — Jennie will go back to her usual review routine by Monday and Lisa will be left alone for hours again.

She was about to immediately throw a fit when she saw a sleeping Jennie with her head resting on her curled up arms on the table. The peacefulness mixed with evident exhaustion on Jennie's feature flushed all the irritation Lisa had felt minutes ago.


Be understanding.

Be mature.


Lisa chanted that like a mantra in her head before she moves forward, Jennie will get a sore back and neck if she will continue to sleep like that. Lisa also saw the empty plate and mug that were on the coffee table which somehow made her smile. "At least she ate them." she whispers upon herself.


"Jennie." she softly calls out while caressing her lover's back. "Babe, go to the bedroom."


No answer. Lisa tried again and receives the same answer. Mustering up all her strength and courage, Lisa slowly positions Jennie's body in her arms — one arm goes around her shoulders while the other goes under her knees — before he carefully lifts her body off the chair. All thanks to the hours she spent in the gym, the journey towards the bedroom was tolerable albeit struggling. 

She tucks the sleeping Jennie under the comforter, lands a quick peck on her forehead before she makes her way back to the study room to fetch the tray of empty dishes to wash them off downstairs.

 


The event yesterday was a bit similar, she picked up Jennie from the review school. Had a little meet and greet with Jennie's classmates before they went off to grab some dinner. Dinner was uneventful either, they talked about Jennie's day pretty much and in Lisa's mind, some weird questions from Jennie here and there. They went home and that's how they pretty much ended the day. Jennie went straight to bed, looking exhausted but somehow fresh after coming out of the bathroom for a quick shower.

Frankly, Lisa isn't used to it, they usually either spend several hours talking or being intimate on the very day Lisa steps her foot in their house after her overseas project. She knows that she should've let her annoyance take her over her logic,  Jennie is obviously very exhausted and added with the stacked up pressure she has to carry every single day isn't easy but a part Lisa is just not having it.

Second day of purely nothing but trying to entertain herself feels like she's in another country, spending her limited day offs in her hotel room. Irritated, Lisa decides to get out of the house to get some coffee or maybe lunch along the way. Basing on the light snores Jennie has when Lisa walk passed her earlier, Jennie will be out for couple of hours.

 


After sending a message to Jennie, telling her which café she's going to house in for a couple of hours, Lisa opens her laptop and re-arranged all the video she took during those days when her anxiety reached its peak — she all had it transferred in her laptop, for keeps sake, for her to remind herself that she had once gone through darkness but able to get out of it. 

Since she's sitting somewhere secluded and further back area of the café, Lisa calls up her psychiatrist for her usual weekly therapy. It didn't last long though, she is improving — both her and her doctor noticed it. She just had to continue what she's been doing to keep her mind busy and healthy. She needs to stir off from any stress as much as possible. 

About two hours had passed, Lisa had not received any texts from Jennie — "She's probably still fast asleep."

 

"Lisa?"

Lisa looks up and immediately met by a wave from Yubi who decided to spend a couple of days off in Melbourne before flying back to Seoul.

"Hey, unnie!"

Lisa waits for Yubi to finish ordering, paid for it before heading to where she is sitting. "Hey! What brings you here?" Yubi asks.

The youngest among the two closed her laptop. "Jennie and My house is just a couple of blocks away from here."

"Cool! Is Jennie with you?"

Lisa waits for the server to place all the orders down before she answers. "No, she's resting. Had a very long week."

"I see." Yubi replies before thanking the server who then excuses himself. "How's the day offs so far?"

Lisa shrugs whilst taking a sip from her Iced Americano. "I'm trying to catch up some sleep, that's for sure. How about you? How's the stay?"

"I love this place, it's so different from Seoul. Although some could recognize me, I could still freely walk around the area without having a manager or security in tow."

"I wish I could do that too. It's getting hard to get a good stroll around this neighborhood nowadays, all thanks to how much ruckus this play had given so far."

Yubi scoffs. "Too humble. You're already known even before this project, Lisa."

Another sip from her drink. "I could still walk around back then though."

"That's fame for you." Yubi then pauses before she literally facepalms herself.

Lisa raises an eyebrow. "What's up?"

"I am actually meeting Julio and some of his friends and I literally forgot to tell him which café I am heading the moment I saw you."

That made Lisa laugh. "Oh dear, I guess I am a great distraction."

"Whatever." An eyeroll. "But hey, would you mind if I invite them over?"

 


Not really thinking much about anything, Lisa agrees. Julio and her are friends anyway plus the man stayed true to his words, nothing related to her current mental state went out of his mouth. She knows Julio respects her decisions anyway but she's still very thankful. After what she did to him? Julio remains the great man she had known and had fallen for way back.

It took at least half an hour, another cup of iced americano for Lisa before Julio and some of his peers in their company came ins

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter