Chapter 29

Untouchable Face

A.N.: Happy %% era Pandas! May it be the most successful comeback by Apink.


 

Yesterday, she spent the day staring out of her bedroom window watching the rain drops beat against the glass. When she was little, like most children she presumes, she would pretend the rain droplets were racing one another and always watched to see which one reached the windowsill first.

She had listened to Hayoung panic about how this rain would ruin Namjoo's wedding day. She wasn't particularly fussed, she would have married Namjoo in a quick five-minute wedding but she wanted to do the whole big, white wedding for her fiancée and after months of planning and preparation, she was not going to let 'ing rain', her words not Bomi's, ruin the day.

She needn't have worried though, as today, the sun is shining brightly in the sky with not a single cloud attempting to disguise it.

It's the perfect weather for an outdoor wedding and the worried feeling Hayoung had yesterday has disappeared. She wishes she could say the same for herself. She's unable to shift this niggling feeling in the pit of her stomach that a storm is approaching. She doesn't mean a storm consisting of thunder and lightning and torrential rain but a metaphorical storm.

You know those days when you have a bad feeling but you can't explain why, well she's experiencing that right now.

Unfortunately for her, her bad feelings are normally accurate.

On the day she took her driving test, her stomach had been in knots. Not through nerves but something else, something inexplicable. Needless to say, she ended up failing her test.

She was sitting her first exam in her first year at Yonsei University when she next awoke with that same feeling. The feeling bounced around in her stomach causing her to feel nauseous but she knew, like with her driving test, it wasn't nerves over her exam. She never stressed over exams, she didn't see the point. Unsurprisingly, her exam went perfectly, yet two hours after she finished, Sohee broke up with her.

Since then, she has always paid close attention to anytime her stomach has jolted nervously because it usually means something bad is coming.

Now, as she stands behind Hayoung in the garden, watching Namjoo walk down the makeshift aisle, she wonders what bad thing is coming her way now.

Obviously, she knows that Eunji finding out is definitely not going to be pleasant but Chorong promised her on the plane back from Gwangju that she wasn't going to tell Eunji until the day after the wedding so surely, if that was the case, her bad feeling should have made an appearance tomorrow.

Of course that would be mean that her life often went as she planned and that most certainly isn't the case.

She hasn't really spoken to Chorong since they landed. Sana had been at the airport waiting to meet her roommate and as soon as they walked out of the gate, Sana had wrapped Chorong up in a hug before dragging her away.

They've spoken on the phone a few times; nothing major, just pleasantries and casual conversation but there was something so comforting about being on the phone to Chorong. There was something comforting in knowing that even though they couldn't see each other, they were still on each other's minds.

When Eunji returned from Italy, her phone calls to Chorong ceased. Not that she was surprised. She had half expected that to happen but she can't wait for things to change.

In fact, she's been counting down the days since they left Gwangju.

Six days until everything would be out in the open.

Five days, four days, three days, two days.

Now she only has one more day to wait until Chorong tells Eunji. As she thinks about that final day of waiting, her stomach flips once more and she frowns. Maybe waiting one more day is merely wishful thinking.

She's so lost in her thoughts that she doesn't even hear Hayoung asking her for the rings and Eunji has to shove her gently to grab her attention.

"Sorry," she says, fetching the rings and handing them to Hayoung.

You see, that's the thing about bad feelings, once they appear, you can't forget about them.

You just have to wait until the inevitable happens.


 

She's not ashamed to admit that she cried at the wedding. She cried when Namjoo walked down the aisle because her friend looked beautiful, more beautiful than Chorong had ever seen her. She cried when the pair exchanged vows, vows they had written themselves.

She didn't really know Hayoung but Bomi had told her that the tall girl wasn't very good with showing her feelings so when Hayoung had told Namjoo how much she loved her and how no matter what happened between the two of them, Hayoung would always love her and Namjoo would always have her heart, Chorong welled up. Hayoung proceeded to tell Namjoo that even if the worst happened and she lost Namjoo, nobody else would ever match up to her because once she's had the best thing in the world, nothing else would even be second-best. It can't be second-best because that would imply it was still good. Nobody was going to be good for her unless it was Namjoo.

That had caused Namjoo to release an indescribable noise before she started crying. Hayoung had wiped her tears away as Namjoo complained that her make-up would be ruined and their wedding photos would be spoiled. Hayoung had chuckled before telling her that even with smudged mascara and blotchy make-up; she would always be more beautiful than everybody else.

Chorong cried when they were pronounced as a married couple and as they shared their first kiss.

Now as she watches them share their first dance on the make-shift dance floor, she's hit by an unmistakable sense of longing. She can't wait to share that experience with somebody. She can't wait to share everything about today with somebody, a wedding, a first dance, a marriage. In the past whenever she has pictured her wedding day, her future spouse has, incidentally, never been Eunji. Since they've been dating, her future spouse has continued to remain a faceless blur but now, it's not a blur.

The face is pretty clear.

Except it's not Eunji.

It's Bomi.

"Dad, you're fidgeting again," Chorong scolds him lightly, smacking his hand away from his tie. It's like New Year's Eve all over again with her father acting like a petulant child over a silly tie.

"The wedding's over now, can I not remove this ridiculous article of clothing?"

"No," she says firmly. "You look smart."

He sighs heavily. There's no point in arguing with his daughter, she's as stubborn as they come. It's a trait she inherited from Chrystal. There was never any point in arguing with her either.

Jongin learnt a long time ago that he will never win so it's best to just surrender.

"May I make an observation baby girl?"

"Baby girl?" Chorong repeats. "You haven't called me that in years, I thought because I was 23 now, you'd stopped calling me it."

"You could be fifty years old and you'll still be my baby girl Chorong. That's something that you're never going to grow out of."

Chorong smiles lightly because he hasn't called her that since her mom passed away. "You were about to make an observation."

Jongin bobs his head before removing his jacket. It's surprisingly warm for March. Most outdoor weddings he's attended, they haven't been lucky with the weather but Hayoung and Namjoo managed to avoid the rain. "I don't want you to think I've been watching you all day but I've noticed that you haven't really spoken to Eunji today," he states. "In fact, I might even be so bold as to suggest that you've been actively avoiding each other."

Ever since his chat with Chorong during the festive period, he's been irrefutably curious about the state of Chorong's relationship with Eunji. He's always been able to read his daughter like a book and he had witnessed Chorong showing these particular emotions before.

When she had dated Changsub, she had started out happy and evidently smitten but over time, she changed.

Like something was different.

Now he's witnessing the same thing happening again, except this time, it isn't to do with Changsub but Eunji.

When he called Chorong the other week, she had told him that her and Eunji were currently experiencing a break, a term she had to explain to him because he questioned whether that meant they had broken up.

He's never experienced a 'break' in any of his relationships.

Before the wedding had commenced, he had taken a seat in the back yard and observed Chorong and Eunji standing on separate sides of the wedding arch. Obviously they were bridesmaids for different women but still, it was like they were purposely trying to be as far away from each other as they could manage.

The two women didn't act as if they were dating and thinking back, he's not even sure if they enhanced friendly greetings.

"How are things between you two?"

"On a scale of 1-10," Chorong begins slowly, fiddling with her fingers. "I'd say probably off the scale and not in a good way."

"Will you tell me what's gone wrong between you and her?" He asks lightly, careful not to upset Chorong. "One minute everything seemed great with you two but since Christmas, things have changed. When she came up in December, I noticed the frosty atmosphere. It was impossible to miss."

"Things are complicated Dad."

"How so?"

She rubs her forehead lightly. "I can't really explain, at least not yet but don't worry, I am going to sort everything out. I'm going to put things right."

"Put things right?" He repeats slowly. "What do you mean by that? What needs to be put right?"

Chorong opens to speak but closes it when Namjoo waves her over, mouthing the word 'speeches'. "I'm sorry Dad, duty calls."

"This conversation isn't over," he says as she starts walking away.

"I wouldn't have expected it to be."

He smirks before loosening the knot in his tie, he's still tempted to remove it completely but if Chorong thinks he looks smart, he believes her. Besides, he wouldn't want to face the wrath of his daughter if he disobeyed her. He returns to his assigned table before sitting down beside Lee Jaehoon and his wife Sora. He had grown quite accustomed to them when Chorong dated Changsub so he's pleased that Namjoo has chosen to sit him with them rather than a bunch of people he has never met before.

His eyes fall to his daughter who has started talking quietly and quickly to Eunji. He observes their interactions and they don't look like a couple, he's not even sure if they look like friends. As Eunji walks towards her seat close to Hayoung, he watches Chorong's face change. In a split second, it changes from discontent and now her expression mirrors the expression Eunji always used to have whenever she looked at Chorong.

The sight calms his nerves; evidently he had nothing to worry about.

Chrystal did always used to tell him that he worried too much. Obviously he's reading more into their situation than he needs to and as he digs deeper, he's only finding more things to worry about.

Things he needn't worry about.

Chorong said she was going to put her relationship right and he needn't have doubted her.

Whatever was wrong with Eunji and Chorong, clearly they were working it out. If they weren't, Chorong wouldn't look at her like that.

He smiles widely to himself before frowning. He looks closer at whom his daughter is staring at, only to find that Chorong's eyes aren't trained on Eunji as he had thought; in fact, they're looking at somebody else.

A blonde woman who is staring back at Chorong with the exact same look.

He realises now that he doesn't need to finish his conversation with Chorong about what complicated things between her and Eunji. He's worked it out on his own.

Although, unlike he had initially thought, it wasn't anything to do with Eunji.

It was to do with somebody else.


 

"Are you okay mom?" Bomi questions as she takes a seat between her parents. Her father looks like he would rather be anywhere else but here but her mother has a wide smile on her face. She has always loved weddings.

"I'm over the moon darling," Sunghee replies. "I can't believe Hayoung has finally settled down with somebody."

"What can I say; she's matured from the rebellious sixteen year old you once knew."

"I'm pleased," her mother says quietly. "What about you? Will it be your wedding we attend next?"

"Even if it was my wedding next, I'm sure dad will be just as bored as he is right now."

Seunghyun shakes his head. "I'm not bored," he counters quickly. "I just think weddings are a lot of fuss, the whole thing could be shortened and save a lot of precious time."

Bomi rolls her eyes. As he ages, Seunghyun is becoming even grumpier; a feat that Bomi didn't know was possible.

"I've been meaning to ask you about this infamous woman," Sunghee whispers.

"Mom, not now."

"I'm sorry love but I'm a curious person and when my daughter tells me that she's finally met somebody she wants to be with, I can't help but want to know who this woman is. I don't think you can really blame me."

Bomi rubs the back of her neck. "I'm not telling you who she is. Not yet."

Her mother sighs sadly. "Can you at least give me a clue?" She questions with a hint of hope in her voice. "I'm going to be spending the next couple of hours listening to your father and grumbling, the least you can do is give me something to think about."

She ponders for a brief second before bobbing her head. "Fine," she says finally. "You know, you're relentless mother."

"I think it's one of my best traits."

Bomi opens to speak before Hayoung taps her on the shoulder as she walks past her. "Speech time Bomi-ah."

"Sorry mom, duty calls."

As she stands from her seat, Sunghee grabs her wrist. "Oh no you don't, you're not leaving without that clue."

Her daughter sighs before leaning closer to her mom. Chorong said she was going to tell Eunji so the secret is nearly out, besides, it's not like she's going to tell her mom exactly who the woman is. "She's somewhere in this garden."

"What, now?"

"No, she was in this garden fifty years ago," Bomi replies with a roll of her eyes. "Of course now."

Sunghee watches her daughter walk away with a scoff and her brows instantly furrow as she scans the environment for women who could possibly be the object of her daughter's affection. Her eyes pass over a redhead who is standing near the bar because she's not Bomi's type. Her next suspect is the blonde Hayoung is talking to. That's a plausible option but something tells her that isn't the right woman.

Finally her eyes land on a dark-haired woman currently dancing on her own in the middle of the dance floor, her arms waving about and her eyes closed. Sunghee smiles, the woman is dancing as if nobody is watching. She her head to the side; this woman could be the person who's captivated her daughter.

She bears similarities to Sohee and it would make sense for Bomi to fall for somebody who looked like her ex-girlfriend.

The only other person Bomi has ever loved.

She sighs lightly; she might need to have a conversation with this woman after the speeches are done. Just to figure her out a little bit more.

She brushes her hair out of her eyes before smacking Seunghyun on the arm as he mumbles about why he needs to be here. They'd been having this discussion since they left the house. Hayoung invited them because they were like a second family to her growing up and it would have been rude to decline. Besides, Sunghee loved weddings and she particularly loved weddings which featured somebody she thought highly of.

Sunghee sips her drink as she watches Eunji talk to her girlfriend. Chorong has certainly become one of Sunghee's favourite people. Her manners, her personality, her attitude, everything about her won Sunghee over and that is the kind of woman she hopes Bomi will meet.

Maybe it will be Eunji's and Chorong's wedding she attends next.

They do make an adorable couple, even though their actions right now seem somewhat forced and strained.

As Eunji walks away, Sunghee shifts her attention back to her daughter who is staring directly at Chorong. It's nothing out of the ordinary and it shouldn't worry her but it does. She glances back at Chorong to find the brunette staring at Bomi.

It's only slight, if you blink, you'd have missed it but Sunghee didn't blink.

She saw Bomi's lips curl upwards ever so slightly, sending a delicate smile in Chorong's direction. A smile which was immediately returned before both women looked away.

Pretending nothing happened.

In that moment, everything fell into place.

The woman Bomi wants but can't have because she's dating somebody else, the girlfriend that Bomi didn't want to hurt. Bomi's never been one for morals so she's surprised it took her this long to realise who the woman Bomi wants is.

To anybody else, the look they shared would have seemed normal but Sunghee saw past the normality of it.

Maybe it was the fact that the look lingered a little too long.

Maybe it was the fact that they smiled at each other like they'd been doing it for years.

Maybe it was the fact that even from her seat; she could see Bomi's eyes sparkle.

The clues have been staring her in the face.

It's Chorong.

The woman Bomi wants is Chorong and the woman she doesn't want to hurt is Eunji.


 

Bomi clears before sipping her drink. She exhales heavily trying to calm her nerves before standing up. She's been dreading this part of the wedding for months, ever since Hayoung asked her to be maid of honour and now it's here.

There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, nowhere to go.

On the plane back from Gwangju, Chorong had chosen to sit beside Bomi, telling Bomi her decision had been due to three reasons.

One, she wanted to be there for her in case the plane endured turbulence.

Two, she thought they could brainstorm ideas for the wedding speech.

Three, she didn't want to be sat anywhere else.

As instructed, Bomi ran through a couple of ideas of what she had planned to say during her speech and each idea had been met by a slight grimace from the brunette. When she asked what was wrong with them, Chorong had said, 'nothing, they just sound too rehearsed." When Bomi had asked her what she should say instead, Chorong had simply smiled and told her to speak from the heart.

She clinks her glass with her fork which ensures that everybody's attention is on her. Before she starts speaking, she feels Hayoung squeeze her hand in a comforting manner.

"You'll be fine Bomi," she whispers, quiet enough so Bomi is the only person who hears.

"I'm not one for public speaking," she announces first. "So I'm going to try and keep this nice and short like Hayoung's temper."

The ripple of laughter which that engineered calms her slightly.

"Truthfully I was worried about what to say today. I didn't know how I could possibly convey what Namjoo and Hayoung feel about each other. I mean, strictly speaking, I don't need to. You only need to look at them and you can see how much they love each other. Still, I didn't want that to be my speech so I started worrying again but it turns out, it was easy." Bomi glances briefly at Chorong before turning her attention back to the cue cards she's holding in her hands. "You know what," she says, placing the cue cards down on the table. "Somebody told me that I should just speak from the heart, so here it goes. Sometimes you just know that two people are meant to be together. Maybe it's from a look they give each other or the fact that they'll do anything for the other person no matter how small. It's those people who, no matter when, how or where they meet; you'll be able to tell that they're soul mates. I think I speak for everybody when I say that it's evident Hayoung and Namjoo are soul mates." Namjoo gazes lovingly at Hayoung as Bomi speaks. "You know, I was never a believer in fate and destiny, I always thought it was something that belonged in romantic movies or fairy tales," Bomi states, glancing towards Chorong quickly. "Namjoo and Hayoung made me realise that my way of thinking was wrong, they aren't just concepts of fiction, if you're lucky enough, I mean, really, really lucky, you can have that fairy tale ending."

Okay, that's not strictly true, it was Chorong that changed her way of thinking but it works for the speech.

"I had the privilege of knowing Hayoung for years before she met Namjoo, so I could tell you some stories about her," Bomi continues, chuckling lowly to herself. "I won't bore you with those stories though, what I will say is that Hayoung is the best person she's ever been since she met Namjoo. Maybe that's what everybody needs, somebody who believes in them and makes them a better person." This time she doesn't try to disguise the fact that she's looking at Chorong. "Maybe that's the fairy tale ending we should seek and maybe we'll all be as lucky as Hayoung and Namjoo." She pauses before picking up her champagne glass. "So if you'll all raise your glass to Hayoung and Namjoo. I wish you both a happy life together and Namjoo; I hope you continue to make Hayoung the best person she can be."

The sound of everybody wishing them a happy life together fills the marquee before a round of applause breaks out as Bomi takes her seat again.

"I didn't know you had that in you Bomi-ah."

Bomi smiles and sips her champagne. "Neither did I."


 

She returns to her seat after dancing with Namjoo.

"You know, you needn't have been nervous about giving that speech," Chorong tells her as she sits in the available seat beside her. "I'm pretty sure I witnessed Namjoo's mom wiping away a tear."

"I'm sure that was due to the whole wedding rather than my speech."

"Perhaps your speech was an integral part of her tears."

Bomi smiles. "In that case, I should be thanking you."

Chorong her head to the side in curiosity. "Why?"

She's tempted to take Chorong's hand in her own or place her hand on Chorong's knee; just to have some form of contact with the other woman but now isn't the time or the place.

"You were my inspiration. Everything I said about not believing in fate and destiny was true, but it wasn't Namjoo and Hayoung who changed my mind. It was you. You're the reason I view love and romance differently now than a couple of months ago. If they'd had their wedding before I met you, that speech would have probably been two seconds long and basically consisted of 'to the happy couple'."

"I'm sure that's not true."

"It is Chorong."

"Really?"

"Of course," Bomi replies. "The reason I was able to give that speech is because I know what they're feeling. They've met their soul mate and they can't wait to spend the rest of their lives with each other and until I met you, I never knew what that felt like."

"What about Sohee?"

"Everything I thought about her was proved wrong, she wasn't my soul mate." Bomi curls some hair behind her ear. "You know, Marilyn Monroe said that sometimes, good things have to fall apart so better things can come together. I guess everything in my life has been leading up to meeting you."

"You're getting very deep," Chorong says with a chuckle. "Do weddings bring out the romantic in you?"

"No," Bomi replies quickly. "You do."

She's aware that it sounds cheesy but when Chorong smiles at her, she doesn't care.

"Hey Bomi, can I borrow my girlfriend for a second?" Eunji asks as she appears by the table. "I think Hayoung wants you for something, probably to praise you for the speech. It was some speech; I didn't know you had that in you."

"I'm full of surprises," Bomi says, averting her gaze from Eunji's. Since she and Chorong slept together once more, now fully aware of the consequences, she finds it practically impossible to look Eunji in the eye. Almost as if Eunji will be able to work out what has happened from Bomi's silence.

"Yeah, I've always known that," Eunji replies with a smile. "You don't mind if I take Chorong do you?"

Bomi waves her hand in surrender. "She's your girlfriend Eunji; you can do what you want."

Chorong swallows before turning to face Eunji. She and Bomi had agreed that once the wedding was out of the way, she would tell Eunji the truth about what had been happening. Yet she doesn't really want to be alone with Eunji because as things have changed even more now, she's finding it harder to be near Eunji.

When the auburn-haired woman had returned from Italy, it had been as if their 'break' never happened. Eunji had kissed her and told her how much she missed her and when Chorong had made an excuse as to why she couldn't stay the night, Eunji had merely kissed her and told her not to worry.

There's something different about her behaviour, almost as if something happened in Italy that Eunji hasn't told her.

Chorong wonders if it has something to do with the lack of 'I love you' on Eunji's last voicemail message.

"What can I do for you?"

Eunji tugs her bottom lip between her teeth before holding her hand out for Chorong to take. "I just want to talk to you in private." When Chorong falters and doesn't move, Eunji wiggles her fingers. "Please."

Bomi clears . "I best go find Hayoung; I'll see you both later."

Chorong watches Bomi disappear and wonders briefly if Eunji noticed the unmistakable tension and awkwardness that filled the air at her appearance. She reluctantly accepts Eunji's offered hand, earning her a smile from her girlfriend. Eunji tugs Chorong's hand lightly, a silent order to follow her.

"Where are we going?"

Eunji remains silent, leading Chorong through the back yard, passed all the wedding guests. As they walk, Chorong casts a quick glance at everybody enjoying the party. Seungyeon is chatting to Sana at one table, undoubtedly gossiping about somebody else at the wedding. Namjoo and Hayoung are still dancing together on the makeshift dance floor. Apparently they didn't want to just have one first dance, they wanted a series of first dances because you might not get it right the first time. She briefly notices Bomi's mother staring at her and Chorong can't be sure, but she doesn't look particularly friendly.

Chorong furrows her brows before Eunji leads her inside the Hayoung's house.

"Eunji?"

Once again, Chorong's question goes unanswered. She follows Eunji upstairs and along a corridor until her girlfriend opens a specific door and ushers Chorong inside. She closes the door behind her and locks it quickly.

"Why are you locking the door?" Chorong asks curiously.

"I just wanted some privacy."

If this had been a few months ago, Chorong would presume that Eunji wanted privacy so she could have a few minutes alone with her but she highly doubts that is why she wants privacy now.

"Eunji, we're supposed to be downstairs enjoying Hayoung and Namjoo's wedding."

The auburn-haired woman remains silent and starts slowly pacing the room. Chorong swallows hard before scanning the room they're standing in, realising that it's a bedroom. She momentarily wonders whether this is Hayoung's old bedroom before wondering why Eunji has chosen this room.

It wasn't accidental; she had definitely been heading for this bedroom.

"Eunji, what are we doing here?"

"I used to always stay here," Eunji finally says quietly. "Whenever Bomi and I would spend the night at Hayoung's this would be our room. Her parents intended it to be a guest bedroom but it kind of became mine and Bomi's bedroom away from home. We even started bringing some permanent fixtures over because we spent so many nights here."

"Is that why we're here? Did you want to take a trip down memory lane?"

When Eunji doesn't answer, Chorong becomes increasingly unnerved by her girlfriend's behaviour.

"Things were so much simpler back then," Eunji states. "Any worries I had in this room were all superficial, my favourite band might break up, I might not do amazing on an exam or nobody will ask me to prom. They were my problems during high school and I used to think that they were life's biggest problems but they're not. Nobody really prepares you for the problems you're going to face in a relationship. Nobody really tells you how to deal with them."

"Eunji, I really don't think now is an appropriate time to discuss our relationship problems. This is Hayoung and Namjoo's big day, the day they're going to remember for the rest of their life. How about we go down and celebrate with them and we can discuss our relationship tomorrow?"

Even though she says they should go downstairs, Chorong doesn't make any sign of moving.

"Jisook tried to kiss me," Eunji announces suddenly, spinning around to face Chorong.

Chorong opens to speak before closing it as she realises that she has suddenly become incapable of forming words. She furrows her brow because she certainly didn't expect Eunji to tell her that. "Jisook?"

"She's teaches biology at my school," Eunji explains. "She came on the school trip with me and –"

"I know who she is."

Eunji bobs her head automatically. "Nothing happened; I mean…I pushed her away. I wasn't going to let her kiss me because I would never cheat on you."

"Eunji –"

"I don't know what is going on with us and I don't even know if there is an 'us' anymore but I am certainly not going to do anything that jeopardises our relationship when it's already at a pretty critical point," Eunji begins. "I thought about not telling you because technically nothing happened but I want to be honest with you. If we're going to fix us, and you need to know that I want to fix us. If there's any chance, we have to be honest with each other which is why I'm telling you."

"Eun –"

"I know I could have…should have picked a better time but I just have to get this off my chest. Nothing happened but I feel guilty. I needed to tell you."

"Eunji."

It seems like that is all Chorong can say but once again Eunji ignores her.

"I told her in no uncertain terms that I have a girlfriend, I mean, she already knew that but I made sure –"

"Stop Eunji!" Chorong shouts, finally managing to attract her girlfriend's attention. She exhales heavily. "Just stop it, please."

Eunji swallows and pales. "I told you about this so we didn't have secrets, I don't want you to be mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you."

Eunji frowns. "You're not?"

She doesn't have any right to be mad at Eunji for not cheating when she's been cheating for months, emotionally and physically. She's not naïve, she knew that her relationship with Eunji was over and that the end of the two of them was inevitable but it hits her right now just how over their relationship is.

Eunji's just told her that somebody tried to kiss her and Chorong should care.

She should care that somebody tried to kiss her girlfriend but she doesn't.

If anything, it only intensifies her feeling of guilt. Eunji had the courage, the loyalty and the decency to remain faithful. Eunji was able to do the one thing that Chorong has failed to do, time and time again.

She used to love Eunji's good-nature but now it shows how much better Eunji deserves.

Chorong sits on the bed, placing her hand against her forehead and exhaling heavily. "I am so sorry Eunji."

Her girlfriend's frown deepens and she releases a short chuckle. "What do you have to be sorry for?"

The brunette merely shakes her head and whimpers. "I –"

Eunji rushes towards her girlfriend and kneels down in front of her, taking her hands in her own. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Chorong doesn't look at her; she simply keeps her gaze fixated on the ground as tears slowly start to fall. Eunji places her finger underneath Chorong's chin and tilts it upwards before reclaiming Chorong's hands. "Please don't cry babe. You know I hate it when you cry."

"I'm sorry."

"What for?" Chorong remains silent, the words on the tip of her tongue yet failing to come out. "Whatever it is, it can't be that bad."

"It is."

Eunji's tongue darts out to her lips subconsciously. "Chorong, please just tell me what's making you so upset?"

Chorong finally manages to raise her head and teary brown eyes meet concerned brown ones and the concern in them is almost enough to make her start crying once again.

She's known for months that she's going to break Eunji's heart but now she's actually staring that moment in the face.

And it's so much harder than she ever thought it would be.

"I cheated on you."

The words come out quieter than she would have hoped but Eunji definitely heard them.

She's actually rehearsed this confession in front of her mirror, stupid she knows but she needed to know exactly what she was going to say. She was going to sit Eunji down and apologise to her before telling her that she hadn't been faithful. It would be an eloquent argument and she wouldn't be lost for words.

This isn't how she expected to tell her girlfriend but now the confession is out there, she waits quietly for Eunji to do something.

She waits for Eunji to scream or shout at her, to bombard her with questions or to start crying herself.

She's mentally prepared for any of those reactions; after all, it's her fault this is happening. She deserves everything that Eunji's about to say or do.

Yet she isn't prepared for what Eunji does.

Eunji merely stares at her for several more seconds before slowly releasing her hold on Chorong's hands. She doesn't even move away, she just severs the last form of contact she had with her girlfriend.

The gesture is so simple it's painful. That gesture wasn't as simple as Eunji releasing her hands; it was Eunji giving up on her.

That's what Chorong has made her do.

The two women sit in silence and Chorong silently begs Eunji to speak but she doesn't. Eunji doesn't even move. She blinks away a tear and as Chorong looks into brown eyes, she no longer sees concern.

She's sees something else, something she can't quite make out.

It might be confusion or perhaps sadness.

Incidentally, when she rehearsed this conversation, Eunji never said anything either. After Chorong confessed in her rehearsals, she always imagined Eunji remaining quiet. Maybe because Chorong didn't know how Eunji would react or what she would do.

Maybe because after a year, Chorong doesn't know Eunji as well as she thought she did.

That's when she realises what she can see in Eunji's eyes. It's not confusion, anger or sadness and that's what upsets her the most.

It's something worse.

Eunji's just realised she never knew Chorong at all and that breaks Chorong's heart even more.