Chapter 26

Untouchable Face

She runs her hands down the dress, smoothing out any creases; apparently she hadn't packed the dress as well as she could have. As she observes her reflection in the mirror, she immediately feels self-conscious. Sana had persuaded her to bring that little black dress that she constantly refuses to wear because she believed it was the perfect location to show it off. After a significant amount of pressure from her, she had reluctantly packed it. When she put it on, it was only so she could humour Sana by telling her that she had worn it at least once, even if it was only for a few seconds.

So she could tell Sana that it didn't fit her anymore.

But it did.

It fit her perfectly but it still isn't something she is used to wearing. Normally most of her body is covered but right now, the majority of her body is on show.

Her attention is brought away from her reflection at the sound of somebody knocking on her door.

"Just a second," she shouts grabbing a second dress from the bed. Who is she kidding; she's not the girl who wears these types of dresses.

When she was dating Changsub, she had attempted to surprise him with a y outfit. The outfit was something that she didn't feel comfortable wearing but she thought Changsub would appreciate it.

Except he didn't like her in the outfit, he told her that it wasn't her. She didn't need to change her sense of fashion for him. He liked her much better in the clothes she normally wore than what she had worn that day.

On the one hand she appreciated him saying he preferred her in her normal attire but the fact that he didn't compliment her once when she wore the y outfit hurt. She had worn it especially for him yet she couldn't change back into her normal clothes quick enough for him.

She turns around suddenly at the sound of a wolf-whistle and pulls the dress in her hands up in a feeble attempt to shield herself.

"I said just a second; did you decide to translate that into 'come in'?"

Naeun shrugs her shoulders and closes the door behind her. "I didn't particularly want to loiter in the corridor like a weird person."

"Well I'd appreciate some privacy."

"Are you getting changed?"

Chorong sighs and lowers the dress. "I was about to, yes."

"Why would you change out of that dress?" Naeun questions as she throws herself onto Chorong's bed. "You look amazing. Normally I like to charge for my advice but I'm in a good mood, probably because the minibar in mine and Namjoo's room is no longer well stocked so I'll give you some advice for free, don't change outfits."

"This isn't really me"

"Says who?" Naeun asks.

"Me."

Naeun sits up in the bed. "Well maybe you should stop listening to yourself because it really suits you. It doesn't matter if it's you because you're not signing a contract. You're wearing a y dress for one night; you're free to go back to your usual clothes tomorrow night."

"I'm free to go back to them now."

"All the attention will be on you tonight if you wear that," Naeun states before standing and heading towards the door. "I just came because Hayoung told me to get you to hurry up."

"I'll be down in a second."

Naeun nods before opening the door but pausing mid-way. "You know, if you wear that dress, you'll be the centre of attention."

"I don't want to be the centre of attention."

"Not even Bomi's attention?" She questions quietly before closing the door behind her.

Chorong furrows her brows at Naeun's final statement before turning around to look at the mirror one last time. Naeun certainly has a keen fashion sense; you only need to look at her to see that. Even if the outfits she wears aren't necessarily what Chorong would wear, she has to admit that Naeun can put an outfit together.

If Naeun says she looks amazing, maybe she should trust her. Besides, the idea that she will have Bomi's attention is definitely one reason to wear the dress.

Sighing heavily, she grabs her bag and heads towards the door. As she opens it, she takes one last look at the dress on her bed before shaking her head and closing the door behind her.

It's only one night.

She can be y for one night.

"Wow."

Chorong spins around at the voice to see Bomi standing outside her own hotel room. Bomi beams at her before closing her door behind her.

"I suddenly feel incredibly under-dressed."

"Have I gone overboard?" Chorong questions. She's suddenly worried that everybody will be wearing similar attire to Bomi, skinny jeans and a top which would look casual on anybody else yet Bomi makes it looks effortless.

"I wouldn't say that."

"I don't want to be over-dressed, I mean, it's only dinner and a few drinks."

"I wouldn't worry about it," Bomi says as she moves closer to Chorong. She comes to a halt in front of the brunette and allows her eyes to rake up and down the brunette's body. "You know, black is definitely your colour."

Chorong flushes but chuckles quietly. "It's funny but I seem to recall you saying that red was definitely my colour when I was trying on my bridesmaid dress."

"So I did. Clearly every colour suits you."

"I'd hardly say that is true, you've not seen me in yellow."

Bomi laughs softly. "I'm sure you'd look amazing."

"Have you always been this much of a charmer?"

Bomi shrugs her shoulders with a small smile. "I can stop if you like." Chorong shakes her head meekly. "You look incredible."

Chorong flushes once more as she notices Bomi swallow before brown eyes darken. Naeun was right, wearing this dress has definitely earned her Bomi's attention.

"I feel very on show."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"It's certainly a new thing, I'm normally a lot more covered up than this," Chorong tells her gesturing to her entire body with a quick wave of her hand.

"I'm probably biased but I think you should never be more covered up," Bomi whispers before her lips and ducking her head. Maybe she shouldn't have said that. "You look unbelievably –" She cuts herself off before the word y falls from her lips because she doesn't know if that's appropriate. Although she has just told her that she should wear less clothing so maybe she's passed the appropriate stage. "No words will do you justice."

"Thank you," Chorong replies warmly before gesturing lightly with her head towards the elevator. "Should we go downstairs?"

Bomi nods silently and follows the brunette to the elevator before pressing the button. They stand in silence for a couple of seconds before Bomi glances briefly at Chorong. "You know, if you start to feel too uncomfortable tonight, you can have my jacket."

"I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm just worried because it's such a drastic change to my normal clothing."

"Well I think you definitely pull it off," Bomi states as the elevator doors ding and open before them. "But I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

Chorong's heart flutters because whereas Changsub practically forced her to change back into her old clothes because he was uncomfortable, Bomi is complimenting her but still ensuring that Chorong feels comfortable.

"I don't," Chorong whispers quietly as she follows the blonde into the elevator. "Not anymore."


 

One thing she has always prided herself on is her ability to see what others can't. Whereas most people accept what they can see, she's always been able to see past that and dig a little deeper. As a result, she's found that what most people say and what they really mean are two completely different things. Ever since she was little, she has been able to read people's expressions and understand what is really going on even when they don't admit it.

In high school, after Chorong received insults flew in her direction, Namjoo would always ask her if she was okay. Chorong's response would always be the same, she was fine and the insults didn't bother her. Most people would have probably accepted her response but not Namjoo because she knew that the insults did bother Chorong.

More than she would ever admit.

Namjoo used to hear her crying sometimes during lunch. She would escape to the toilets and on her own; she would allow herself to cry. She was never really alone though, Namjoo followed her on most occasions because even if Chorong couldn't see her, Namjoo didn't want her friend to be alone when she was sad. She's never told Chorong that she knew about the brunette's tears because if Chorong wanted people to know, she wouldn't have tried to hide her tears.

She wouldn't have claimed the insults didn't bother her.

Her ability to see past what people want you to see is also how she knew that Hayoung was planning to propose her even though the other woman constantly said that she didn't want to get married. She never pushed her fiancée though because she knew that Hayoung was waiting for the perfect opportunity to propose and was merely trying to ensure that when she did find that time, Namjoo would be surprised.

Needless to say, when Hayoung did get down on one knee, Namjoo acted as if she hadn't expected a proposal.

She likes to call her ability her superpower and her superpower is how she knew that Chorong had feelings for Bomi, even though she's dating Eunji, and Bomi had feelings for Chorong. Truthfully, she's known since her and Hayoung's Halloween party that there was something between Chorong and Bomi. Some form of history that nobody else knew about and that they didn't want anybody else to know about.

A secret that only the two were privy to.

Unfortunately for them, if there is one thing Namjoo has always loved, it's secrets.

During the party, she had watched quietly as Bomi and Chorong engaged in conversation, a conversation that mimicked that of people who had met before. Even though Eunji introduced Chorong to Bomi later that night, the two women didn't exchange the typical pleasantries you would expect from two people who had only just met.

When Eunji hosted her dinner party, Namjoo observed how Bomi acted as if she was walking on eggshells all night long. She took her time before answering questions, almost as if she wanted to make sure she didn't say something wrong. Namjoo also noticed how Bomi had chosen to use a coaster only after Chorong had asked Hayoung to use one, something that didn't strike anybody else as unusual but to Namjoo, it was anything but normal.

She's seen Bomi's apartment, the blonde isn't exactly what one would call house proud. There are plenty of water rings on her coffee table; in fact, the only thing she keeps in a strict order is her collection of first edition comic books.

During the dinner party, she suggested that Bomi go on a date with Naeun. As she made the suggestion, everybody's attention fell to Bomi as they awaited her answer but Namjoo had looked at Chorong. Chorong's head had been ducked and she pushed her food aimlessly around her plate, her eyes closing as the name Naeun left Namjoo's lips.

Almost as if it hurt her to even hear the name.

When Eunji had broached the subject of 'Lea', Namjoo's curiosity had immediately peaked. Once Bomi declared that her one-night stand had been mind-blowingly amazing in bed and Chorong's head snapped up, Namjoo understood the history that Bomi and Chorong shared.

The history that they didn't want anybody to know about.

It was at that moment that she realised Chorong was Lea.

Lea had been Chorong's alias since she was sixteen years old. A couple of weeks before their junior year, she, Chorong and Yookyung sneaked into a bar to watch the popular band, Standing Egg, perform. After the bar's guard had caught them, Chorong had declared to him that her name was Im Lea.

When they graduated high school, Lee Jinki started organising fake IDs for every student, regardless of who they were. As long as he made some money from his little project, he didn't care who bought them. Chorong had asked for one, under pressure from Namjoo, using her own name but Jinki suggested that she used an alias. Unsurprisingly, Im Lea became the name of Chorong's fake ID.

The name alone wasn't enough for Namjoo to connect the dots but when Chorong's interest had suddenly peaked at Bomi's praise for her one-night stand's ual ability, Namjoo figured it out.

Bomi and Chorong had slept together.

She kept the nugget of information to herself and didn't even disclose it to Hayoung because she knew that when the time was right, either Bomi or Chorong would admit to what they'd done.

Namjoo is proud of her patience.

Before Christmas, Hayoung started to question their closeness. Bomi and Chorong weren't friends yet they appeared incredibly close.

Too close in fact.

Especially for people who claimed not to know each other.

When Hayoung claimed that she thought Bomi had a crush on Chorong, Namjoo had said that Bomi did have a crush because she didn't want to lie to Hayoung. She still feels bad that she has neglected to confess the whole truth to her fiancée but it wasn't her secret to tell.

Not long after that conversation, Bomi confessed everything to Hayoung.

After Bomi confessed, Hayoung divulged the information to Namjoo and Namjoo felt relieved that they were now both privy to Bomi and Chorong's secret.

They both knew that Bomi's feelings for Chorong extended further than friendship and Namjoo knows the same can be said for Chorong's feelings for Bomi.

She's 24 now but she still has the ability to read people as well as she did when she was young.

She glances across the dining table at Chorong who is having a discussion with Yookyung, probably revolving around health care routines, that's what their conversations usually revolve around. She can't help but feel disappointed that Chorong hasn't confided in her about everything that is happening with Bomi.

It doesn't matter how long she's know, she still wants Chorong to trust her enough to tell her.

Just like with Hayoung's proposal, Namjoo will act surprised, as if she didn't know anything in the first place.

Bomi confided in Hayoung, why couldn't Chorong do that with her?

She would never judge Chorong; she's never judged anybody in her life before. She doesn't see the point. Judging somebody for their actions isn't going to change who they are as a person.

"Are you okay?"

Namjoo turns at the voice and sends her fiancée a reassuring smile. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

She sighs lightly at Hayoung because the other woman always knows when she's thinking about something. "It's just something stupid, don't worry about it."

"Joo."

"I just wish that Chorong would confide in me about her situation like Bomi has with you. I don't like pretending that I don't know what's happening between them."

"You can't rush her babe," Hayoung whispers lowly. "I'm sure she'll tell you when's ready. You could always try and get her to open up. I mean, Bomi only told me because I forced her hand."

"I'm not like you though, I don't like confrontation."

"I know. It's one of the many reasons why I love you."

"I'll just wait until she's ready," Namjoo assures Hayoung and herself. "If she wants to tell me, she will."

"Okay." Hayoung places her hand on the redhead's knee and gives it a comforting squeeze. "By the way, nothing you ever think is stupid, you're a genius Namjoo."

Namjoo beams at the compliment and kisses her fiancée's cheek. "You know how much I love you right."

"Just a little bit less than how much I love you," Hayoung replies playfully.


 

She watches with intense curiosity as Hayoung and Bomi have what appears to be a very in-depth conversation with each other. Her brow furrows as Hayoung places her hand on Bomi's shoulder and the gesture seems to cause the blonde to sigh a desperate sigh of relief. She can't help but wonder what they're talking about. Since Bomi told her that Hayoung knew about them, she's always wondering what Hayoung is saying to people. What she's saying to Namjoo, what she's saying to Bomi and worse, what she's saying to Eunji.

She's about to stand but as she pushes her chair back, the women separate and Bomi heads towards the bar where Naeun is sitting whilst Hayoung heads in her direction.

Chorong clears nervously before taking a sip of her drink as Hayoung approaches her. She's thankful that Yookyung is sat beside her because Hayoung can't sit down. When Yookyung announces she's going to the bathroom, Chorong feels like cursing because clearly she isn't having much luck today. As soon as Yookyung stands, Hayoung swoops in and sits in the now vacant seat next to Chorong.

"Nice dress, I didn't realise you had such a good body."

"Thank you," Chorong utters slowly, unsettled by Hayoung's compliment.

"So Chorong, what's the deal with you and Eunji?"

"I'm sorry?" Chorong questions nervously because even though Namjoo assures her that Hayoung is a cat deep down, she still finds the tall woman very intimidating.

"I know you and I don't really speak, but what I wanted to say was, Eunji's one of my best friends. I mean, Bomi pips her to the post slightly but that's probably because we have kissed before."

Chorong's eyes widen at that last admission and she feels open in shock. Why hadn't Bomi told her that? "You have kissed Bomi?"

"I just," Hayoung starts, choosing to ignore Chorong's incredulous question. "I'm not an emotional person and I certainly don't do heart to hearts. Namjoo's the only exception to that, but…I don't want anybody to get hurt. I know that's not realistic because somebody is going to end up hurt but I care about them more than I can say." She narrows her eyes at the brunette. "If you tell either of them that I just said that, I have no moral problem with homicide."

Chorong swallows nervously at that because she doesn't think for one second that Hayoung is joking.

"I need to know what the deal is with you and Eunji."

She blinks quickly and glances over Hayoung's shoulder to see Yookyung heading back to her seat. At the sight of the tall blonde in her chair, she diverts towards Seungyeon and Namjoo, kneeling beside the women and joining in their conversation.

Clearly Chorong isn't the only woman that is slightly scared of Hayoung.

"What were you and Bomi talking about?"

"Answer my question first."

Chorong exhales heavily before bobbing her head slowly. "Eunji and I have been over since the minute I met Bomi," Chorong explains quietly. "I didn't want to accept that because the knowledge that a yearlong relationship effectively ended because of something that should have been a mistake is terrifying but the truth is, the minute I willingly decided to sleep with Bomi, there was no redemption for me and Eunji even though I wished there was." Chorong curls some hair behind her ear before glancing quickly at Hayoung. "I wanted things to go back to normal with Eunji but how can things go back to normal when you've experience something so out of the ordinary that you're constantly craving it? I never thought I could see myself being with somebody like Bomi but now that I know her –"

"You can't imagine being with anybody else."

Chorong turns to face Hayoung. "Yeah, how do you know?"

"Because that's how I felt with Namjoo. I was used to vapid, narcissistic women who never interested me and that was the way I liked it. Things were uncomplicated that way and feelings were never an issue. Then I met Namjoo. I cared about her more than myself and that was the one thing I never wanted to happen because when that happens, when you put your heart on the line, you lose control. That used to scare me, it still does but the truth is, I can't imagine being with anybody but her."

"I thought you didn't do heart to hearts."

"I don't." Hayoung scowls quickly. "Do you plan on enlightening Eunji anytime soon about how you feel?"

Chorong nods her head. "When she comes back from Italy, I'm going to tell her. I've spent months lying to her but I'm finally going to do the thing I should have done from the minute I met Bomi. Tell her the truth."

"And then what?"

"What do you mean?"

Hayoung sips her drink slowly before casting her gaze in Bomi's direction. "You break up with Eunji and then what? Don't get me wrong, I think you're making the right decision, I told Bomi to tell Eunji the truth weeks ago but what happens next. Do you just expect to jump into a relationship with Bomi? That's not going to happen. That will hurt Eunji even more. Have you even thought about what will happen when Eunji finds out?"

Chorong bites down on her bottom lip because truthfully, no, she hasn't thought about that. She had only just decided to do the right thing by Eunji but Hayoung's right, what is going to happen after she breaks up with Eunji? Things are undoubtedly going to change. Her relationship will be over and friendships will also crumble.

"I hadn't actually thought that far ahead."

"Maybe you should."

"What would you do in my situation?"

"You know, Bomi asked me the same question."

"What did you say?"

Hayoung her lips subconsciously and looks at Namjoo briefly before bringing her attention back to Chorong. "If I fell in love with somebody, I would find it impossible to stay away. If I was in your situation, I'd probably do the wrong thing."

"How can you tell what is wrong though? When I'm with Eunji, I feel like that is wrong. It doesn't feel wrong with Bomi even though it should."

"I guess you have to decide what the difference between right and wrong in your situation is because nobody else can tell you that."

"What if I think it's right when really, it's wrong?"

"What is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after." Chorong frowns lightly. "It's Ernest Hemingway." Her frown is replaced by a look of surprise and Hayoung scowls. "No need to look so surprised, I'm an untapped resource of wisdom."

Chorong chuckles warmly as Hayoung looks in Namjoo's direction once more when the redhead beckons her over and she nods before standing from her chair.

"Wait, what were you talking to Bomi about?" Chorong asks quickly as Hayoung walks away from the table.

Hayoung halts before turning around and tilting her head to the side. "You."


 

She paces up and down the corridor, her eyes constantly darting towards 347 before she looks away, almost as if somebody will catch her staring. Somebody will know what she is doing. She looks over her shoulder at room 344, the room she should be in right now. She shouldn't be wandering the corridor at nearly two in the morning.

She should be in bed, enjoying a blissful sleep.

Yet every time she closed her eyes, she saw her and no matter how hard she tried, the image wouldn't go away.

The woman is always on her mind, just like she has been for the past five and a half months.

The sound of two men talking causes her to dart back towards her own door but the men disappear into the first room after the stairs. She rests her forehead against the door before sighing heavily. What is she doing? She shouldn't have spoken to Hayoung tonight because now she's about to do something that she didn't expect to happen any time soon, especially not under these circumstances. Even though her head tells her to open the door to her room, her feet move of their own accord towards room 347.

Once there, her fingers raps against the door lightly. Quiet enough for only the person inside to hear.

Waiting for the door to open is torture and she can feel the nerves, the guilt and anticipation building in her stomach. The longer she stands behind this closed door, the more those feelings increase.

There's no sound of movement in the room and she wonders whether her knock was too quiet to rouse the woman from her slumber. Her knuckles hover over the door once more but then she hears it.

The unmistakable sound of somebody mumbling combined with the shuffling of footsteps, heading in the direction of the door. She swallows nervously at the sound and realises that this is it. This is her last chance to run away and go back to her room. She can pretend this never happened and nobody would be any the wiser to her late night dilemma.

Before she can ever move, the door opens and her words catch in as she observes the other woman in her pyjamas. She her lips at the way her top rides up ever so slightly showing off her stomach and how the other woman is wearing shorts which are incredibly loosely defined as shorts. They barely cover her and as a result, her legs are proudly on show.

The sight of the woman causes her to swallow once more.

"What are you doing here?"

Her head is telling her to make up an excuse, apologise for waking her up and explain that she just couldn't sleep but her heart is telling her to do what she came here to do.

As is always the case, she chooses to listen to her heart.

She takes a tiny step forward but it's enough to close the distance between them and cups the other woman's cheek. Sensing no hesitation from the other woman, she takes a deep breath before kissing her.

The other woman doesn't push her away and she takes that as encouragement. Ever so gently, she pushes the other woman back into the room, kicking the door shut with her foot when they are both in the safety of the hotel room.

As soon as she hears the door shut completely, she knows that is it.

They may have tried to pretend everything else that has happened between them never happened but not this.

There's no pretending any more.

There's no going back from this.

And right now, Bomi doesn't want to.