Chapter 11

Untouchable Face

She takes a final drag of her cigarette before tossing it to the ground and squashing it with her foot, silently promising herself that that cigarette will be the last she smokes, she did tell her mom she would try to stop after all. She's been hovering outside his apartment for the past twenty minutes waiting for him to make an appearance. She thought he would have been on his way to work by now.

Trust him to have a lie-in the one day she wants to speak to him.

After her mom had told her that Kyungsoo was directing a play in The Seoul Center, she had paid a visit to Mrs Do to ask where her son was living whilst in Seoul, claiming she didn't want to pass up the chance to re-connect with him whilst he was in the same city as her. After an hour of sitting in the house whilst Mrs Do showed her Kyungsoo and his wife's wedding photos, she finally received an answer.

She's fully aware that resting against a wall outside Kyungsoo's apartment for twenty minutes―her gaze never wavering from the front door― is showcasing stalker tendencies but if she manages to get Chorong an audition, it will be worth it.

A better approach would have perhaps been to ask his mother for his cell phone number but there was always the chance he wouldn't get back to her in time. If auditions end after the New Year, she doesn't have long to try and get Chorong the shot she so desperately craves.

For all she knows they could end tomorrow.

She pushes herself off the wall when the door to his apartment opens and a satisfied smile fills her face when she sees Kyungsoo making his way down the front steps. After a quick glance in both directions to ensure no traffic is coming, she runs across the road towards him.

"Kyungsoo!"

He stops suddenly at the vaguely familiar voice before glancing over his shoulder to see Bomi standing a few feet behind him. The brown bob hair she had sported during their final year together in high school had disappeared and long blonde hair had taken its place. "Bomi, well this is a pleasant surprise. I haven't seen you since high school."

"I know. It's been too long. We should really organise a reunion sometime next year, get the old group back together."

"That sounds like a wonderful idea, it would be good to see everybody again," Kyungsoo replies. "Since high school the only person I've seen is Seunghoon and that's only due to the fact that we both moved to Busan after graduating."

"I still see Hayoung and Eunji."

Kyungsoo chuckles and pushes his glasses further up his nose. "Well of course, you three were the three musketeers; it would be more surprising if you weren't still in touch with them. How are they anyway?"

"They're both doing well; Hayoung's engaged if you can believe it."

"So she finally found somebody who could put up with her," Kyungsoo says with a chuckle. "I'm happy for her." He taps his phone inside the pocket of his trousers in an awkward manner. "I don't mean to be rude but I'm running late for work, can we talk later?"

"It's kind of important."

Kyungsoo bobs his head. "Okay, in that case would you want to walk to work with me; we can talk on the way?"

"Of course," Bomi states as she starts walking beside Kyungsoo. "I hear congratulations are in order." She points to his wedding ring as she speaks so he understands what her congratulations are for.

"Thank you," Kyungsoo replies with a wide smile. "How did you know?"

"How do you think?" Bomi replies playfully. "Your mom told my mom and she told me, I think she hoped it would spur me to get married myself. You know how much mothers like to gossip. What's her name?"

"Her name is Jieun," Kyungsoo tells her. "We met in our first year at university and have been together ever since. I think it was close to our year anniversary when she started hinting at engagement rings and those hints never stopped. Subtly is not her thing."

"Yeah, it certainly doesn't sound like it."

"I may be mistaken Bomi, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong," he starts as they stop at the side a road. "But I don't think it's a coincidence we bumped into each other, or rather you bumped into me."

Bomi smiles before crossing the road with him.

Obviously subtly isn't her thing either.

"You're not wrong, I do have an ulterior motive but that's not to say it isn't lovely to see you and I really would love to catch up with you."

"What's the ulterior motive?"

She fiddles with her fingers, suddenly nervous about broaching the subject.

"I was hoping to ask you for a favour."

"Shoot."

"Aside from informing me of your recent nuptials, my mom told me you're directing a production of The Band's Visit on The Seoul Arts Center."

Kyungsoo nods as he checks the time on his watch. "It's a stepping stone in my director career which will hopefully lead to directing films but at the moment, I love doing theatre, some of the talent I see is just mind-blowing. If you thought our friends were amazing, you should hear some of the people who come for auditions. They put us all to shame. Are you interested in auditioning or something?" He questions lightly. "If I remember correctly musical theatre wasn't your thing. Didn't you study Communication at Yonsei University?"

"Yeah I did."

"Although if your passion has changed, I'm sure I can find you a part. You would have to audition though."

Bomi chuckles softly and shakes her head, talking before Kyungsoo can ramble some more. "I don't want to audition."

"Are you after free tickets then because I've already promised some to Jieun and my parents," he explains. "That's not to say I couldn't try, being the director certainly has some perks."

"Kyungsoo," Bomi sighs lightly. "I don't want free tickets."

The chestnut brown haired man smiles shyly at her. "Sorry, I'm attempting to guess when it would be simpler to just ask. What is the favour?"

"You were close with your first guess except it's not for me, I was hoping you could give somebody an audition," Bomi explains nervously. "I have this friend and performing on The Seoul Arts Center is her dream. She's been in a couple of productions in Daehakro and she's an amazing actress and singer."

Okay, so she doesn't know that for definite since she's not had the luxury of hearing her sing or watching her act but if she's been in Daehakro productions, she must be better than good.

"A friend?"

"Yeah, I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to give her a chance and I know she'll appreciate it too. I understand if you're too busy to see her though, you must have your hands full with other auditions."

Kyungsoo looks like he's contemplating her request and for a moment Bomi thinks it's been a waste of time. Before she knows it they're outside the Towol Theatre, she hadn't even realised they'd walked that far.

"Auditions end on the 3rd January. Tell her to come in at five and I'll allow her to be the final audition, that way she isn't taking time away from anybody else," he tells her, walking towards the theatre's side door. "But Bomi, I'm not making any promises, she'll suffer the same treatment as everybody else. If she's not good enough, I'm not going to give her preferential treatment because she's your friend."

"I wouldn't expect you to do that," Bomi replies. "As long as you give her a chance it doesn't matter. Thank you Kyungsoo, you have no idea how much I appreciate this."

"She must be a good friend for you to go through all this trouble."

Bomi gives him a small smile. "It's no trouble."


 

Opening her eyes, she glances out of the window to see the scenery starting to come into view for the first time in under two and a half hours. The pilot's voice comes on over the intercom telling all the passengers that they will be landing in Cheongju in fifteen minutes time. She fastens her seat belt even before the fasten seat belt sign starts to flash and concentrates on the developing scenery rather than think about the plane's final descent.

There's still fifteen minutes left for something to go wrong.

"What are you doing in Cheongju?"

She turns her head away from the window to the young brunette woman sitting next to her, her attention momentarily taken away from the card game she was playing with either her son or little brother. It's the first time she's properly noticed the woman sitting beside her due to the fact that the minute she sat down, she closed her eyes, desperately trying to think of anything but flying.

"I'm surprising somebody."

"Is it a special somebody?"

Bomi nods her head slowly, wondering why the woman has suddenly decided to talk to her when they've been sat next to each other for the past two hours. "What about you?"

"I'm visiting my mom," the woman replies. "She spent Christmas with me so I promised I'd fly to Cheongju to spend New Year with her."

"That's nice," Bomi replies through clenched teeth as the plane jolts suddenly.

"Are you a nervous flier?"

"What?"

The brunette gestures her head towards Bomi's hands which are currently gripping the armrests as tight as possible, her knuckles turning white as a result of the pressure. Bomi had forgotten she was even doing it.

"Oh right, yeah, I hate flying."

"I thought talking may help take your mind off the fear. I would have started a conversation sooner but you looked fast asleep for most of the flight so I didn't want to disturb you."

Bomi gives the woman a tight-lipped smile as the plane starts to descend causing her to grip the armrests even tighter if that's possible. "Don't worry about it, thanks for talking to me now."

She has always hated flying, ever since she was little. Whenever her family would go on vacation, they always faced a struggle trying to make sure she focused on anything rather than flying. Eventually they started to take road trips rather than fly whenever they visited another state.

It was easier that way.

Even if they never left South Korea.

This is the first time she's flown in over a decade, normally she follows her parent's example and drives across states but she didn't really fancy driving for hours just for one night.

"Don't mention it," the woman smiles. "I'm Miyeon by the way."

Bomi gives her a small smile. "I'm Bomi. I would shake your hands but they're kind of indisposed at the moment."

"I'll let you off, just this once," Miyeon replies lightly. "This person you're surprising must be special if you're flying when you don't like it."

As the scenery outside the window starts becoming clearer and she receives her first glance of Cheongju, Bomi smiles properly for the first time since stepping foot on the plane. "Yeah, she is."


 

"Will you stop messing with your tie," Chorong pleads with her dad quietly. "You look great."

They had come to the party about an hour ago, Chorong dictating that since the Kims had stated the party started at 8 o'clock, they should arrive promptly.

The past couple of days have passed by rather quickly with Eunji and her dad getting on like a house on fire as usual whilst she watched from the side lines. Her parents fell in love with Eunji as soon as they met her and now there's never an uncomfortable moment between Eunji and her dad, instead they discuss everything from music to sports and she knows her dad sees her like a second daughter.

She fiddles with her watch, seeing that it's only a little after nine, they still have three hours to wait until midnight. She sends a soft smile in Eunji's direction before letting her mind wander to Bomi, hopelessly wondering what the blonde is doing right now. She can't help but wish that Bomi had taken her up on the offer of coming to Cheongju. Even though she wants to believe she invited Bomi so the blonde wouldn't spend the night alone, she knows the real reason is because she wanted Bomi's company for the night.

Jongin brings his fingers away from his tie and places them at his side. "I don't want to look too formal for a party; the last party I went to was a fiftieth birthday party and it was certainly not as lively as this."

Chorong glances around as more and more people start to arrive, it seems most people didn't share her belief in punctuality. "It does seem to be getting livelier," Chorong replies. "Although it still has a hint of sophistication about it because a lot of the people here are older."

"Are you saying I fit right in then?"

Chorong chuckles lightly before catching a glimpse of Hayoung and her mother drinking copious amounts of liquor in synchronisation. Like mother like daughter.

Jongin follows his daughter's line of sight. "Maybe I should join them, if Mrs Oh can drink as well as a 24 year old I'm sure I could."

"I'm not carrying you home dad."

This time it's Jongin who laughs.

"Your drinks," Eunji announces as she reappears in front of them, handing Chorong and her father glasses of juice. "Namjoo's parents are in the backyard if you want somebody more mature to talk to Jongin."

Jongin fights the urge to fiddle with his tie again. "If you want to get rid of me so you can spend some time with my little girl alone, you only need to ask. There's no need to fabricate an excuse."

Eunji blushes as the older man calls her out. "Sorry, I just wanted to talk to her."

"Say no more." Jongin kisses the top of Chorong's head. "I'll see you later."

Bringing her drink to her lips, she takes a small sip. She glances at Eunji who is standing in front of her fiddling with her fingers. "Is something wrong?"

"Why would anything be wrong?"

"You said you wanted to talk to me," Chorong declares. "That normally means something is wrong."

Eunji interlocks her fingers with her girlfriend. "Nothing's wrong, I just…are you okay? I can't help but feel like you've been distant these last couple of days. Did you not want me to fly out for the holidays?"

"Of course I wanted you to fly out. I'm sorry if I've been distant around here it's just–" Chorong begins, scrunching up her nose. "It's the first holidays without my mom and it's been difficult."

The response seems to appease the auburn-haired woman who closes her eyes and nods slowly. "I'm such an idiot; of course it's been difficult. You've lost your mom and here am I thinking I've upset you or done something wrong."

It's ironic that Eunji thinks she's done something wrong when in reality, the only thing she's done wrong is be a perfect girlfriend to somebody who doesn't deserve it right now.

"You're not an idiot."

Eunji grins at the reassurance. "Did you like your present?"

Chorong looks down at her left wrist where Eunji's present rests. One of her Christmas presents for Chorong, alongside the two bunches of flowers over two days, a box of chocolates, a necklace, tickets to see B.A.P and a teddy bear holding a heart with the words 'I love you' neatly written on it, was a replacement charm bracelet for the one she lost a couple of months ago.

Even though Chorong had told her not to buy a present for each day of Christmas like her mother used to, Eunji had ignored her plea, giving her a gift every day so far.

The bracelet wasn't an exact replica but Eunji had tried to make sure it was as similar as possible. She'd bought the same charms even though they don't look exactly the same. The silver isn't tarnished so the brightness of the gold is no longer in stark contrast with it and this bracelet doesn't hold sentimental value but Chorong appreciates it nevertheless and when Eunji had given it to her, her heart had swelled with adoration.

She always had hated herself for being so careless with her old one and losing it.

"I love it."

"I love you."

Chorong ducks her head so the words come out as a whisper. "I love you too."

Eunji pecks her girlfriend's lips. "I promised Namjoo I would keep an eye on Hayoung tonight; make sure she doesn't get too drunk. Apparently Hayoung always becomes nervous whenever she's around Namjoo's parents and acts inappropriately so I have to be there to stop that from happening. You don't mind if I float between the two of you, do you?"

Chorong shakes her head. "Not at all."

Eunji kisses her quickly before taking a sip of her own drink, tapping her foot in time with the music. It's ironic how Chorong had wanted Bomi to come to Cheongju so she wouldn't spend New Year's Eve alone, yet it seems that even though Chorong's surrounded with family and friends, that's how she's going to be spending the rest of her night.


 

Chorong finishes her drink before throwing the plastic cup into the trash and heading upstairs. Growing up she only entered Namjoo's house once in order to work on an assignment for Arts Club so she can't really remember the layout. All the doors are closed on this floor and she's having trouble locating where the bathroom is. Knocking on the first door, she receives a blunt 'we're busy', a voice that sounds distinctly like Hayoung's. She apologise quietly, unsure whether they'll even hear her before knocking on the next door.

"Are you lost?"

Chorong spins around at the voice and beams when her eyes land on tousled blonde hair. She has to contain herself from sprinting towards the blonde and wrapping her arms around her. The sight of her makes her heart swell and the knowledge that she has come all this way just to spend New Year's Eve with everybody is heart-warming.

Although part of her hopes that Bomi has come for her rather than everybody else.

"Bomi-ah, you came."

Bomi steps forward and embraces the other woman in a hug. She feels Chorong bury her head into the crook of her neck and gives the brunette a squeeze in response. The contact lasts much longer than a friendly hug should until eventually Bomi releases her hold on the other woman. "I decided the prospect of spending the night in Cheongju with everybody was better than spending it alone."

"I'm really glad you came, I just hope it's worth it since you've made the trip."

She tugs her bottom lip between her teeth as she rakes her eyes over Chorong. "Trust me; it's already been worth it."

Chorong feels herself blush and ducks her head, hoping Bomi won't see the pink tint which fills her cheeks.

"You're cute when you blush." Bomi closes her eyes quickly, silently berating herself. "Sorry."

"It's okay."

Bomi smiles softly. "So, are you lost?"

"I was looking for the bathroom."

Bomi nods before wrapping her fingers around Chorong's waist and leading her towards a door at the end of the corridor. She's slightly surprised that Chorong is willingly following her without even questioning Bomi's actions; still she can't pretend Chorong's trust doesn't delight her. Pushing open the door she steps inside, closing the door once Chorong has followed her in.

Chorong looks around their surroundings with a smile. "We're in the bathroom."

"We are," Bomi replies with a laugh. "I want to give you something and then I'll leave you alone."

"I don't want you to leave me alone."

The words come out of before she can stop them and her eyes widen once she's spoken. She's about to speak again, to try and rephrase that but Bomi beats her to it.

"I just meant I'll leave you to use the bathroom."

Chorong bobs her head awkwardly. "What did you want to give me?"

She's grateful that Bomi doesn't press the matter anymore. "Your Christmas present," Bomi explains, reaching into her bag and pulling out a small, neatly wrapped present.

"I haven't got yours; it's in my dad's house," Chorong tells her. "I didn't expect to see you tonight."

"It doesn't matter." She hands the present over with a wide smile. "There you go."

Chorong takes the box from the blonde and the excitement that washes over her makes her feel like a child again. She rips the paper off eagerly and opens the lid, grinning widely when she sees the contents of the box.

"My charm bracelet?"

"I know it's sort of a cheat because I didn't buy it for you but I found it in my living room after we…you know," Bomi explains, using her hands to make her point. "Anyway, the clasp had broken so I sent it to get fixed."

"I wasn't even sure I'd lost it in your apartment, I thought I might have lost it in the bar." Chorong subconsciously pulls down her cardigan so it covers Eunji's replacement bracelet. She fingers her old bracelet observing all the charms. Her dad had bought her the charm bracelet for her First Communion along with the cross charm, Eunji had bought her the heart charm on their sixth-month anniversary, Sana had bought her the microphone after they landed their first role and her mom had bought her the two stars, informing her that like the gold star which shone brighter than the rest of the bracelet, she shone brighter than anybody else. Her fingers come to rest on a brand new charm that hadn't been there when she lost the bracelet. "Did you add this?"

"Now that can be classed as a present because I did buy that," Bomi replies with a sense of pride. "You said Stop Kiss was your favourite play so I thought a stop sign charm would be a nice touch. I would have bought you a charm to do with the stage but you already have the microphone so I wasn't sure what to get."

"I love it Bomi, thank you." Chorong holds out her right wrist with the bracelet in her left hand. "Will you put it on me please?"

Bomi takes the bracelet and fastens the clasp over Chorong's wrist. "Is that okay?" She feels Chorong's lips graze her cheek in response.

"It's perfect."

"I have something else for you too," Bomi starts, holding her hand up as she sees Chorong open , most likely to berate her for buying another gift. "I didn't buy it so you can't shout at me. I don't want to spoil the surprise but promise me that you'll keep the afternoon of the 3rd free."

Chorong furrows her eyebrows. "Why?"

"I can't tell you, just promise me you will."

"Okay, I promise."

Bomi beams before remembering where they were. "I'll let you use the bathroom now but I'll see you at midnight?"

"Midnight?"

"The whole point of New Year's Eve is to celebrate at midnight, why wouldn't I see you then?"

Bomi leaves the bathroom and shuts the door behind her before Chorong can give an answer.


 

Bomi glances at the clock which hangs in the kitchen to see that it's only five minutes to midnight. She hasn't spoken to Chorong since leaving the bathroom and that was over an hour ago. Since then she has talked a little to Namjoo and even less to Hayoung who is currently having trouble standing and resting against the kitchen counter as a result.

She had spoken to Eunji briefly, the auburn-haired woman telling her that they need to spend the day together shortly; it's been too long since they had seen each other. Bomi could tell that Eunji had been surprised to see her in Cheongju since she's the only one of her friends who knows about Bomi's fear of flying but thankfully, she didn't question Bomi on it.

"Hayoung-ah, have you seen Chorong?"

Hayoung looks at her with glazed eyes and shakes her head before nodding then finishing off with a shrug of the shoulders.

"Well that's a very helpful answer, which one is it?"

"Easy with the questions Lie," Hayoung states loudly, talking just to the left of Bomi.

"You're not even looking at me Hayoung."

Hayoung raises her eyebrows quickly before whipping her head to the right, bypassing Bomi and staring at the guy standing just behind Bomi. "There you are."

Bomi smiles at her tenderly and steps to her left, stepping directly into Hayoung's aim. "Have you seen her?"

"I'm seeing three of you right now Bomi, I have no idea if I've seen Chorong."

She sighs and walks away from the tall girl. Namjoo's going to have a fun night now Hayoung's drunk. She can hear people shouting that it's nearly time for the countdown but the only thing on her mind is Chorong.

She pushes through several people as she makes her way throughout the house, spilling several drinks in the process but not caring in the slightest. She's just about to enter the backyard when she bumps into somebody.

The apology is on the tip of her tongue when she sees brunette locks and breathes in the unmistakable scent of vanilla and strawberry.

"There you are," Bomi breathes out lightly.

"You've been looking for me?"

Ten.

"I told you I would find you at midnight. I wanted to see in the New Year with you," Bomi replies quietly, pushing back against people who are bumping into her. She subconsciously brushes a strand of brunette hair behind Chorong's ear. "I wouldn't have come to Cheongju otherwise."

Seven.

"You know they say the way you spend New Year's Eve is the way you going to spend the rest of your year," Bomi continues.

Four.

Chorong smiles shyly. "Is that so?"

Two.

Bomi nods quickly, her bottom lip tugged in between her teeth.

One.

Happy New Year!

Cheers and party poppers erupt around her and even though they're in a crowded room, she finds herself leaning towards Chorong.

She can't stop herself.

She hears Chorong's breath hitch before somebody comes between them and the sight of Eunji swooping in and pressing her lips against Chorong's causes her to feel sick with jealously.

She automatically looks away, finding the sight unbearable.

As if she would have been able to kiss somebody else's girlfriend at a New Year's Eve party in front of everybody, it's probably a good job Eunji intervened because otherwise her friendship with her could have been over there and then.

Bomi turns around quickly and nearly falls back in surprise as someone places their lips on hers. It's only brief and before she knows it, the contact is gone. She's about to lose her temper and tell whoever has just kissed her that you can't just go around kissing random people when the person moves away and long red hair comes into view. She releases a quiet laugh when she realises it's just Namjoo.

"No, you can't kiss Bomi!" Hayoung slurs from the kitchen. "You're mine, not hers."

Namjoo blows a kiss in her fiancée's direction. "Happy New Year Bomi."

"Happy New Year Joo, what was the kiss for?"

"It's bad luck not to kiss anybody at midnight Bomi-ah," Namjoo tells her with a sad smile. "It means you're going to be lonely for the year to come and I don't want you to be a sad panda anymore."

Bomi scoffs lightly with a grateful smile. "I don't believe in superstitions."

Namjoo beams at her. "Well you don't need to because now I've kissed you, you won't be lonely."

Maybe Namjoo's right about the superstition and maybe she's right about how Bomi won't be lonely the next year but as she casts her gaze back to Eunji and Chorong, she can't help but wonder whether in order to not be lonely the next year, the kiss has to come from the right person.

Unfortunately, this year, it didn't.