Chapter Five

Feed Your Demons (but read the fine print)

                “Whoa! What the was that?” Heechul slammed on the brakes and somehow managing to stop, narrowing missing hitting a bundle of, something as it flew out of the car they’d been following for several miles. With the heavy rain that had been falling, plus it getting near dusk it was hard to tell exactly what the something was.

                “You okay Fishy?” Heechul asked, smacking the button to turn on the emergency flashers and putting the car into park, not caring about the people honking their horns and having to get around him.

                “I’m fine Chullie. What is that thing?” Donghae responded, checking the aquarium he’d been holding in his lap for leaks, relieved that the sudden stop hadn’t seemed to bother his pets.

                “I don’t know and I don’t care. I just want it the out of the way. I’m tired and hungry and why didn’t we fly again?”

                “I’ll go see if I can drag it out of the way. Hopefully it’s not too important but why didn’t he stop? We didn’t fly because A- I couldn’t take an aquarium on the plane and 2- the movers could only tow one car and we decided on mine.”

                “Details, details” Heechul waved his hand as though to brush away Donghae’s explanation. Meanwhile, the younger man managed to unbuckle his seatbelt and open his car door. He got out before carefully setting his pets on the passenger seat.

                “Ill be right back” he said, going to investigate the bundle, which on first glance seemed to be a wet, filthy blanket. A second look had him yelling for Heechul to open the back door as he tried to scoop up the mess.

                “What the hell are you doing Lee Donghae? Put that thing down and get your back in the car!”

                “ off and do what I say Kim Heechul! It’s not a thing, it’s a person and he’s really hurt!”

                Gawping like a stranded fish for a second since Donghae wasn’t really the type to swear, Heechul managed to get himself together enough to do as told. Meanwhile, the younger of the two scooped the injured person into his arms, and staggering a little with the awkwardness of carrying him got back to the car and half collapsed into the backseat, cuddling his burden against his chest.

                “We’ll drop him at the hospital and notify the police. Found like that, he might have been kidnapped” Heechul said, pushing Donghae to scooch over enough he could shut the door before going to the front passenger side and buckling the aquarium into the seatbelt to his brother’s distracted directions. He got back into the driver seat and buckled himself up and was getting ready to start driving again when Donghae made a surprising discovery.

                “I don’t think the hospital can help him Chullie. He’s got horn buds. They don’t treat demons, do they?”

                Heechul sighed. “A few do, but mostly no, not really. We’ll take him to Feed Your Demons and see what Teukie, Wookie, and Yesung have to say and if they might be able to help. They’ve treated injured demons before.”

                “Thanks Chullie. Will you turn the heat up? I know demons like to be warm, and he’s soaking wet and ice cold and seems unconscious right now.”

                Heechul did as asked and used the hands-free Bluetooth feature to call his lover and let them know they were bringing in a mess.

                “Any idea who he is or what kind of demon?” Jungsoo’s voice sounded concerned. “It’s better if we have a clue as to what we might be dealing with.”

                “Fishy can’t get him to respond, but whether that’s from hitting the asphalt or something else I have no idea. He’s pretty small and has horn buds but that’s all Donghae could tell without unwrapping him. Had he not been in the middle of the road, we probably just would’ve called an ambulance, demon or not. There could be broken bones or who knows what else?”

                “We’ll find out when you get here then. I’ll let Wookie know to prepare for anything. He’s actually the one who does most of the treatments.”

                Heechul blew an air kiss before disconnecting so he could concentrate on driving. The rain and traffic were both getting worse and the failing light wasn’t helping any, but eventually he pulled into the Feed Your Demons parking lot and parked as close to the back entrance as possible, where Jungsoo and Ryeowook stood waiting under the overhang.

                “What a mess! Come on Donghae, let’s get the poor little thing upstairs and see what we’re dealing with. You want Jungsoo to carry him for you?” Ryeowook asked as he opened the car door for Donghae, who had his arms full.

Donghae shook his head as he carefully maneuvered himself and his bundle out of the backseat. “I don’t want to jar him any more than necessary in case he does have broken bones. He’s not heavy at all, just awkward in this position.”

                “Demons, even the newest younglings aren’t that easy to break so I wouldn’t worry so much about that, and if he’s old enough to be on his own we probably won’t have to do much. Well, let’s go check him out.”

                “You want me to wait for you Fishy?” Heechul asked, only to have Donghae glare at him.

                “I’m not leaving until they throw me out or I know he’s going to be okay.”

                “You’re welcome to stay as long as you like Donghae” Jungsoo promised gently, lightly swatting Heechul on the .

                “Okay, okay! I get the point! I’ll go boss the movers around and come back later with some clean clothes for you, okay Fishy?”

                “Fine” Donghae said distractedly, carrying his bundle and following the click of Ryeowook’s hoofs as they headed up the back stairwell.

                “I told you you two should’ve come stayed with us” Jungsoo said mildly, pulling Heechul into his arms and nuzzling his lover’s hair.

                “And I’m not ready for that I told you, plus Donghae needs quiet when he’s writing. Which reminds me, can I leave his aquarium here for now? I can’t really lift the thing on my own and it’s just the small one his fish and frogs travel in. I’m pretty sure the bag with the fish and frog food and crickets and small heat lamp is in the car somewhere, and he always keeps a copy of their schedule with their food in case they ever need a sitter.”

                “Yeah, sure. It’s not a problem.”

                Jungsoo eyed the aquarium warily, wondering how best to carry it. He had been expecting a bowl with a couple of tiny fishes and miniature frogs since Heechul was a weakling and tended to be overdramatic, but this was a solid plastic box with what looked like a divider down the middle. One side was full and had two goldfish nearly as long as his index finger swimming lazily, while the other had much less water, with an “island” in the middle and three frogs almost as big as the bottom of a shot glass staring at him.

                “The fish are Jack and Rose and the frogs are Truth, Love, and Beauty and I have no idea which is which. Only Donghae can tell them apart, and I found their food” Heechul commented, waving a tote bag triumphantly.

                Jungsoo carefully hoisted the aquarium into his arms, thankful there were handles on the side.

                “Fishy had that custom made since we move so much.”

                With Heechul leading the way to open doors, Jungsoo carried the aquarium upstairs, sure his arms were going to break before he finally set his burden down on the kitchen counter of the apartment he shared with Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Jongwoon/Yesung, the last studying the new arrivals with interest.

                “They aren’t turtles, but they’re awfully cute. Kyu is with them now, but Wookie wanted another demon waiting in case the new one wakes up and becomes too much to handle. Hello Heechul” Yesung said before returning his attention to watching the fish and frogs.

                “I’ll be back as soon as I can, but it’ll be a few hours. Are you sure you don’t mind Donghae being here?” Heechul asked Jungsoo, who was massaging the feeling back into his arms.

                “I told you it’s fine. We’ll look after him for you. Now go, before the movers get fed up and leave with your stuff.”

                “They’d better not! My entire wardrobe is in that truck!” Heechul hurriedly pecked Jungsoo on the cheek before practically running out the door.

                “I have a feeling things are going to get far more interesting around here soon” Jungsoo said to Yesung, who just absently nodded his head, too absorbed in what he was watching to even respond.

                “I just wish I knew if it was for the better or worse” Jungsoo quietly told himself before going to check on how it was going with the injured demon.