Chapter 23

Feed Your Demons (but read the fine print)

So, not fluffy bunnies but I'm working on getting there, it's just slow. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it, and happy whatever day you're reading this to everyone else.

 

                Donghae made it all of four steps toward the back and the stairwell that led upstairs, when he nearly stumbled and dropped Hyukjae as his arm was grabbed. He shifted the man still wrapped around him to a more secure position and looked over to see Heechul, who had an oddly serious, unreadable expression on his face and who the younger had nearly forgotten about due to all the Master and demon drama with Eunhyuk/Hyukjae.

                “Put the monkeys down Fishy and go upstairs and start packing” the older man said gently.

                Donghae was puzzled. “What are you talking about Chullie? Siwon should be here soon, hopefully with backup so he can take out the trash. Hyukjae’s too weak right now to walk on his own, or at least seems to think so not that I mind having him in my arms, so I’m going to carry him upstairs and tuck us both in for a nap. Things should be back to normal after that. Why would you tell me to pack?”

                “Donghae, we’re leaving. If I’m understanding right, Eunhyuk has his grandfathers to look after him now. You’ve done more than enough so you don’t have to feel guilty about going back to your real life instead of playing nursemaid. I’ve been offered an audition for an ongoing role in a new play, much bigger than my current one. One of the directors also has contacts in several publishing houses, is a huge fan of yours, and when he heard my brother was looking for a new publisher offered to help you as well. The kid is fairly young from what I’ve heard, but is already quite successful. It’s a sign it’s time to go.”

                Donghae hitched up Hyukjae who was starting to slide again and sighed. He knew blowing his top was only going to end in a shouting match and delay getting Hyukjae to bed. He’d learned the hard way when they were kids not to piss off Heechul, who had a flair for the dramatic anyway, so made sure he had a firm grasp on his temper as he answered his best friend and brother, only to have his good intentions fly out the window as soon as he started to speak.

                “And just when did you decide that? I know I’ve had my hands rather full the last few weeks, but what happened to wanting to really try for a real relationship, or at least Leeteuk and Jungsoo being the best you’ve ever had? Holy hell Chullie! I know you like to baby me and yeah it’s nice being spoiled, but we’re not teenagers anymore! I know what you’re doing. Leeteuk and Jungsoo are sweethearts who would bend over backwards for anyone, and honestly care for you even though you’re an insecure, commitment-phobic, high-maintenance ! Well guess what, they aren’t going to die like poor Mimi and his bad heart, and they aren’t going to run off and marry some barely-legal bimbette like Hannie or my stupid ex! I’m also not leaving, unless I’m asked, and I’ll be dammed if I’d leave Hyukjae and Eunhyuk behind now! I’m glad I was dumped since I got to make new friends and meet the best two things that have ever happened to me! I like not being babied, and I may not be in love yet, but just give me a bit more time and Leeteuk may be having that engagement party I’m pretty sure I heard him talking about. I wish you could just understand.” Donghae sighed after delivering his rant and stalked off without giving Heechul a chance to answer, not that that stopped the older man who shouted after him,

                “SHOWS HOW MUCH YOU KNOW LEE DONGHAE! HANNIE ALSO MESSAGED ME A LITTLE WHILE AGO! HE’S BACK IN KOREA AND WANTS TO TALK!”

                Donghae whirled around, tightening his hold on Hyukjae who seemed to have fallen asleep against his shoulder. He stomped back over to Heechul and got as close to right in his face as he could with his armload, who despite his thinness was starting to get heavy.

                “Yeah, I just bet he “wants to talk.” What, is his wife pregnant and he needs something else to stick his in for a while? Ruin your life if you really want to Kim Heechul, but leave me and everyone else out of it. I’m amazed Leeteuk and Jungsoo managed to put up with you as long as they have. I don’t know how they did it, and I’ve been dealing with Princess Rella for far too ing long, and I’m too tired of your to try and figure it out.” He walked away again, dry-eyed and back straight. It hurt to say all those things, but that didn’t mean they were less true. He didn’t want to be part of Heechul’s life if he was going to drop two of the sweetest beings on earth, well next to his own incubus/human bondling pair, for an audition, not a guarantee of and job, and for someone he always claimed he wanted to like for more than , but now that Donghae had had a chance to think about it never really treated his brother much better than his own ex had him. If he didn’t know better, he’d almost think they were actually the same person, but he’d seen them both in the same room several times, and his ex was definitely Korean and Hangeng was definitely Chinese. He hoped Heechul would realize he was right and run after him, but wasn’t surprised that he managed to make it into the back and up the stairwell without further incident.

***

                “Uh, are we interrupting something? Kyuhyun called and said you found Jae Crewe and the others?” Leeteuk startled at Siwon’s voice. He’d been trying to figure out what Heechul had said to Donghae to make him so upset. He was pretty sure he had an idea, but was just out of earshot of the brothers, who must have been speaking in lower tones than usual. Slightly preoccupied, he was grateful when the sassy former hacker turned bartender chose to answer the police officer, who was standing in the middle of the pile of abusers, four junior officers flanking him and looking completely confused.

                “More like they came in here “looking for Jae’s property.” That’s all of them you’re standing in. Wookie picked through Jae’s brain and found out they were coming.”

                Ryeowook piped up next. “Apparently either someone has been spreading false information about what goes on here at Feed Your Demons, or this guy is just a twisted son of a . He actually thought we rented incubi like they were bicycles. Granted, he also didn’t realize demons were just as intelligent and independent as a species as humans, with our own society and capability of running a business and having relationships. Hell, from the way the Little One went off on him when he first came in, he had no idea about the proper care and feeding of an incubus, not that we didn’t already know that from the way Eunhyuk looked when Donghae found him.” There was a note of grandfatherly pride in the little multi-natured demon’s voice as he spoke about his newly-discovered grandson.

                “You should see him now Siwon. You know how stunted he was before right? He has his adult form now thanks to Donghae, and he is absolutely gorgeous. Golden hair and scales, and he’s winged! It’s not unheard of, but very unusual. Not sure where in the family tree there were some sort of reptile demons, but it’s a stunning combination. He’s also the one who knocked all of them out. He’s going to be even more amazing once he learns to control his power.”

                “My side Mutt, I mean Ryeowook. Changmin has several lizard types in his ancestry, and they were all beautiful. His stubbornness and loyalty had to be from you. I’ll take my leave now, but I’ll be back to make sure he’s being educated properly.” Yunho bowed and headed off to the access point, much to Leeteuk’s relief. Elders were notoriously hardheaded as well as rigid in their conduct, but Eunhyuk’s words seemed to have gotten through, at least for now.

                “Sounds interesting. We brought a transport bus if you’d like to clear the floor.”

                “Definitely. We have handcuffs if you didn’t bring enough, and Kyu has the list of s Wookie wrote down.” This was from Jongwoon, who almost never spoke around others if he could help it.

                With Kangin, Shindong, Henry, Amber, and a few of the regular patrons’ help, the police and the onsite Feed Your Demons group soon had all the men who had hurt Eunhyuk and Hyukjae cuffed and loaded into the police bus, and business resumed as normal once the excitement was gone. Leeteuk tabled his own affairs in order to be the charming host, and barely dragged himself upstairs after the club closed. He just managed to peek in on Donghae and Hyukjae, who were tangled together in their bed and sound asleep. He smiled at the adorable sight before heading to his own room and collapsing on his own bed without even managing to strip, wash off his makeup, or consult with Jungsoo who was being suspiciously quiet.

***

                While the others were helping Siwon and Heechul was doing, well whatever he decided on, Donghae and Hyukjae were readying themselves for bed and having a serious discussion, or rather the full human was filling the other in on what happened while he was knocked out. He knew he’d have to address his feelings toward the bondlings at some point in a clear, adult conversation with just the three of them, but not until he had a chance to think some more and he was completely convinced there was no way he’d lose his incubus or former e.

                “So, do you think Hyukkie’s grandfather will come back and try to make him leave?”

                “I suppose it’s possible this Yunho is it? might try, but quit being paranoid. You know Eunhyuk would never leave you, and from what you’ve told me, he has a grandpa and great-grandpa here too. Now, will you please help me get this crap off our face and out of our hair? It’s starting to itch. There were reasons I never wore makeup as a streetwalker, even when the others offered to share theirs.”

                “You know Hyukkie wouldn’t leave you either Hyukkie. Want to just take another shower? It might be faster.”

                “Hmm, wet and . I like how you think.” Hyukjae gave Donghae a smirk and a sleazy wink before sauntering off to their bathroom, and shaking their .

                “ert Hyukkie!” Donghae laughed, feeling slightly better. He knew Eunhyuk was a big incubus now and was right, he could make his own decisions. The full human also knew he and Hyukjae and the Feed Your Demons crew wouldn’t let him go without a fight, even if Yunho did try something. He supposed it was just his conversation with Heechul that had sparked his question, but his brother was a big boy. If he wanted to be stupid that was his business. He had his own priorities and for once knew exactly what he wanted and how he wanted it, starting with joining Hyukjae in the shower and maybe fooling around a little if the human half of the bondling pair wanted to, and the full human soon discovered he more than wanted to, which left him bolting out, dripping wet and with a head full of shampoo in order to grab the lube before getting down and dirty up against the shower wall with Hyukjae’s legs wrapped around his waist as he moved.

                “Hmm, easy cleanup but my back is sore” Hyukjae commented afterward as they finished and washed properly and towel-dried before tumbling into bed in a tangle of limbs.

                “It was your bright idea Hyukkie, and now my arms feel like overcooked spaghetti noodles. You two fiends are going to kill me on day” Donghae was teasing, but wondered if their relationship was always going to be like it was.

                “I am not a fiend, I’m a professional, and is part of Eunhyuk’s whole reason for being. You’re just out of practice.”

                “That’s beside the point.”

***

                Heechul sighed to himself as he peeked in on Donghae and Hyukjae, who he had to admit were awfully cute lying tangled up together asleep. He couldn’t resist and pulled his phone out to snap a picture before dropping something on the table near the door of their room and quietly shutting the door.

***

                Leeteuk had about turned himself inside out knocking Heechul into the headboard after Feed Your Demons closed, not to mention all the earlier junk, so Jungsoo was in charge of their body the next morning. He wasn’t actually that surprised to find their pretty lover not in bed, only to find a short note taped to the vanity mirror that said he was leaving. He’d known for a while the full human wasn’t nearly as committed as his bondling or even he was, but he’d still hoped for Leeteuk’s sake the other man would eventually change his mind.

                After lying in bed for a little while, Jungsoo rolled over to check the time. It was nearly noon and their stomach was starting to growl, so he got up with a groan and threw some clothes on and went to check on the other residents of Feed Your Demons to see who might want brunch.

                Judging by the creaks and moans coming from Donghae and Eunhyuk/Hyukjae’s room, Jungsoo would have to make extra food if Ryeowook hadn’t already woken up and was aware of the situation. Being Leeteuk’s bondling for as long as he had meant the human had a fairly decent idea of what might be expected. It had been explained to him a long time ago when he asked about incubi that when they were newly adult they were always hungry, for both types. It was only once they got used to their new forms did their systems settle down and appetites return to something less voracious. Then again, most young adult incubi didn’t have a bondling and weren’t imprinted or in love so Eunhyuk would probably be just as unpredictable with that as he’d been with most things so far according to the other demons. He was just happy that he had a backbone as well as wings and stuck to his guns when Yunho had tried to take him away. It’s not that everyone wouldn’t have fought for him, but peaceful was usually best in Jungsoo’s personal opinion.

                “Morning Jungsoo. They’ve been at it for hours already according to Woonie” Ryeowook greeted the human as he wandered into the kitchen. The little multi-natured demon was busily cooking away, hoofs clicking merrily on the wooden floor while Kyuhyun nursed a cup of coffee and Jongwoon appeared to be sleeping, face first on the table.

                “And they will be for a while, but even Leeteuk couldn’t venture a guess how long last time we talked about it. He’s out too. Heechul wore him out as if last nights -fest wouldn’t have already.”

                Ryeowook stopped moving. His soulless black eyes were solemn as he looked Jungsoo full in the face. “You know Heechul left, don’t you? I overheard him trying to order Donghae to join him last night but thought he was just being a drama queen because of his Royal Assness and all the hors d’oeuvres. His stuff is gone though.”

                “I’m not sure if Leeteuk is aware yet, but I know. He left a short, ty “Dear John” note, and Teuk had noticed them talking but couldn’t quite make out what they were saying.”

                “Donghae gave him what for, but…”

                “If Heechul wanted to leave, well that’s his choice. Teuk and I tried, but he only seemed interested in the , after he said he wanted to try a relationship again.”

                Jungsoo and Ryeowook looked up when they heard Donghae and Hyukjae stumble into the kitchen, arms wrapped around each other, wearing only boxers and sporting two magnificent mops of hair. The full human was rather solemn though as he settled in a kitchen chair, Hyukjae on his lap and snuggled against his chest. “Chullie is a high-maintenance commitment-phobe. I don’t know if he filled you in on his past, but he’s had a long list of guys who only wanted him because he’s pretty and likes it rough. Two though were different to him, in different ways. Zhoumi was a sweetheart and a gentleman and their relationship was a beautiful one to witness. He didn’t know he had a heart defect though, and died while they were spending a week at a beach house Chullie borrowed from a friend of his. He went into a depression for a while, until another Chinese man who went by Hangeng entered his life.

                Hannie was sweet, but a coward. Much like my ex-fiancé he never wanted to admit he was dating a man and would go on blind dates his mother set up whenever he would go home to China. As far as we know he didn’t sleep with them, he would just shake his head and tell her he and the girl didn’t click.

                I had high hopes when Hannie finally said he was tired of pretending and he was going to admit to his mother he was gay. Despite his flaws, he treated Chullie well and he was mostly back to his pre-depressed self, only blowing a kiss when he would pass by Mimi’s portrait on the home shrine. It didn’t go well at all. Hannie said he was gay, his family burned his passport and he was frog-marched to a priest to confess his sins, when his family isn’t even Catholic.

                Rather than tell his family to go to hell, get another passport, and come back, Hannie texted Chullie and said he was giving up trying to fight and he’d just give his family what they wanted, a daughter in law they picked out and sons for both families to have heirs. Shortly afterward the guy I was engaged to didn’t even bother breaking it off himself. His mother sent me a streaming link to his arranged wedding and that’s how we ended up here the first time.

                Truthfully, my ex wasn’t much better than Hannie. He did finally admit to his family he was gay so he had that going for him, but it took me actually proposing for him to say something. I guess I was just tired of not having any roots. You know Chullie and I have very little family we never see, except each other. Well, until a bundle threw itself in front of his car and I ended up with a baby incubus and his bondling.” Donghae snuggled Hyukjae, who cuddled back just as hard.

                Jungsoo had to admit they were even more adorable than before, especially since Hyukjae wasn’t sharpening his acid tongue on anyone, but just nodded at the full-human’s words.
That explains so much. Did you know he was leaving?”

                “He tried to make me go with him last night, and I read the “Dear Fishy” note he left after Hyukjae was finally worn out a little while ago. I was hoping something I said to him would get through his stupid, stubborn brain. He doesn’t even have a real plan. He was offered an audition, not a job, and claims Hannie wants to talk to him. It’s a mistake, but he’s a big idiot. I’ve made my decision and he made his. I belong with the Hyukkies and he can screw himself up all he wants. I’m just sorry you and Leeteuk got involved with him. He said he wanted to try again, but he was also a lying liar who lies, so him. Well, not that way.”

                Ryeowook broke in then. “Anyone ready for breakfast slash lunch?”