Chapter Three

Feed Your Demons (but read the fine print)

                                Jungsoo nervously touched up his hair in the bathroom mirror and attempted eyeliner, only to practically stab himself in the eyeball. Leeteuk had told him the pretty man who’d flirted with him on the plane was planning on coming to Feed Your Demons, and well he couldn’t remember the last time he’d been so fascinated by someone. Even if it turned out to be only a one-time thing, he still dressed, or rather half-dressed to impress in skintight leather pants and boots and a lightly oiled chest. Even when he wasn’t trying to get laid he seldom wore a shirt at the club, since whenever Leeteuk took over their body his wings ripped through any top they might be wearing, and it’s not like it was really necessary since the club was kept at a comfortable temperature for their demon staff and patrons.

                When Jungsoo first agreed to bond with Leeteuk he wasn’t entirely sure what to expect. He knew there would be benefits for both of them and he’d wanted a change from his boring office job where he pushed paper and swore under his breath at the mess of finances every day, when finances weren’t even supposed to be part of his job. He’d never expected to own a club or get so involved in the demonic community, but couldn’t remember ever being so content before. All he needed now was a girl or boyfriend who could accept he was two beings in one.

                “Damn, you went all out tonight Boss!” Kyu whistled as he came in to see what was keeping the older man. “Even if your princess doesn’t show up, I don’t think you’ll be alone tonight.”

                Jungsoo glared at his human employee as he slipped on the dark red bracelet that marked him as a member of staff. T-shirts, or rather muscle shirts had been ordered, but only their bouncers actually wore them. Kyu, who was much better at numbers and computers than he or Leeteuk would ever be and also liked to play bartender preferred vests, Jongwoon/Yesung stayed behind the scenes unless they were slammed or down a person, cleaning up or operating the little stage where they didn’t have to interact with so many people, and Wookie refused to wear anything more than a breechcloth unless he was in public, not that anyone blamed the little demon. Among his multi-natures he had satyr, which meant he inherited short horns and goat legs and hoofs and the envy of any size queen, and werecat which meant claws on his hands which unfortunately weren’t retractable. He had custom made clothing that made him look human and even colored contacts to hide the fact his eyes were red and looked soulless, but on a good day they made him uncomfortable. On a bad one, well their containment room had been thoroughly tested by the wrath of an angry little demon who looked harmless but had a penchant for eating whole humans who were bigger than he was.

                “I’m not interested in a casual hookup Kyu, and Leeteuk said he wasn’t anywhere needing to feed yet. Maybe it will be, but I always hope for something deeper” Jungsoo finally responded.

                “You’re no fun. Ready then? Woonie has the stage all ready for later and Wookie said Shindong’s already tossed out three underage punks with extreme prejudice and has nearly strangled half a dozen bimbettes who couldn’t grasp the concept of having to wear bracelets that didn’t match their outfits.” It wasn’t just staff who wore colored bracelets. Everyone who walked in the door had to wear them. Some of the humans and many of the demons were uncomfortable at first interacting with so many strangers, so Feed Your Demons had devised a color code system to make it easier. People could look at wrists and tell if someone was gay, bi, or straight, top, bottom, or vers, human or demon since mindreading was considered a violation if consent wasn’t given, taken, single, just observing, or willing to be a feeder, and weed out anyone immediately unsuitable without having to try to extricate themselves from so many uncomfortable conversations. They hadn’t been sure at first how it would work, but for the most part response had been positive, especially with the newly released incubi who were getting their first real-world experiences with humankind, without their carers and batchmates.

                “Help me with this first would you Kyu? My hands won’t cooperate and I don’t think I could pull off the pirate look.” Jungsoo handed Kyuhyun the eyeliner he’d nearly half-blinded himself with a minute ago.

                “Damn, this guy really got to you. Okay, sit and hold still just a minute.” Kyuhyun frowned, then carefully applied the makeup.

                “There, now you are even more drop dead gorgeous. If I wasn’t so very taken I might make a pass myself” Kyuhyun grinned and tossed the eyeliner onto the cluttered bathroom counter. “Sadly, Wookie would quite literally eat me, with Woonie and Yesungie’s blessing. Come on Boss, time to see if your princess has arrived.”

                Jungsoo rolled his eyes and followed Kyu out of the apartment and down the narrow staircase that led to one of the storage rooms for the club. The live-in employees preferred to keep their private lives separate as much as possible, and there was no reason for any of the patrons to be on the second floor unless the containment room was in use. Even then, the demon using said room was never in any condition to snoop so the system worked fairly well.

                For early on a Friday the club was already fairly busy. There were quite a few chatting nervously at the small tables and several couples already dancing to, well English wasn’t Jungsoo’s forte so he wasn’t sure what song it was. Even a couple of the VIP rooms were in use, judging by the lights that indicated they were occupied. White, all was well, red, they break down the damn door if necessary.

                The light clicking of hoofs indicated Ryeowook was coming up behind them and Jungsoo turned around to see what the little demon wanted.

                “Most of the playrooms are already booked solid. Woonie’s going to be busy mopping between customers all night. That quartet that’s supposed to perform later is already here and only slightly blitzed. They are as I suspected, a young human/incubus bonding, their human lover, the incubus’ demon lover, and the human’s human lover.” Wookie snorted. “I get teased about looking like a goat, but that young demon looks like an owl. The animal types are getting more and more creative with their partners. At least satyrs are traditional mythology, if not Asian.” He wandered off, the clicking of his hoofs against the worn wood floor soon blending in with the rest of the background noise.

                “That would be my cue to start working my magic behind the bar. Can’t have all those customers going thirsty, now can we?” Kyu grinned and went to relieve Kangin, who hurriedly tossed his bartender’s apron at the younger man and nearly ran back to his post as bouncer along with Shindong and cute little Henry. Unlike the others, he wasn’t muscle. He mostly checked IDs and distributed bracelets, all the while scanning for illegal items or magic. It was never obvious, but he’d kept them out of trouble more than once by detecting things even Wookie couldn’t.

                Snagging a Coke from Kyuhyun who was already showing off behind the bar, Jungsoo circulated the room, greeting the regulars, saying a few words to the nervous first-time humans, and letting the unfamiliar demons know non human-safe shenanigans wouldn’t be tolerated, but he, or rather Leeteuk and Wookie were available if they had questions about the human world or needed assistance with something. His incubus and their multi-natured employee had often played mentor to younglings, and not just incubi. He wasn’t sure when Feed Your Demons became a counseling center and safe haven as much as a club, but he could see why one was necessary. Much like the gays and other “alternative lifestyles” among the humans, demon kind had to fight for even grudging acceptance, and there were too many places a blind eye was turned to abuse when most just wanted to live and let live. Sure, there were a few rogues, but that’s why there were demons like Wookie, who could take care of things neatly and efficiently.

                Jungsoo was just directing the guest performers to go on when he finally spotted the person he’d been looking for all night. In a silver crop top and what looked like some sort of fishnets and booty shorts was the pretty man from the airplane, and the air suddenly became very hot before being out of the room. He was in the same company he’d been sitting next to on the plane, a slightly shorter man who was cute enough, but not really Jungsoo or even Leeteuk’s type, and dressed pretty conservatively in jeans and a loose button down. One glance at their bracelets told him to just go for it. The cute man was an observer, while the pretty one was single, gay, bottom, and willing to be a feeder. It wasn’t that Leeteuk needed to feed, but he never minded a snack and Jungsoo had a feeling this one would be wild, if the fact that there was suddenly less than no room in his pants as he slowly made his way over was any indication.

 

                Donghae was already uncomfortable. The good-looking man from the airplane had turned out to be the owner of the club, and bonded with an incubus according to what he’d heard of the conversation between him and Heechul. Talking hadn’t lasted very long though before Chullie was dragging the man, Jungsoo he thought he’d heard, in the direction of where he said the basement playrooms were. Donghae wasn’t sure he wanted any clarification as to what was meant and would’ve called a cab and gone back to the hotel, if he hadn’t promised his friend he’d stay “just in case.” He might have argued that Chullie was a big boy, but the “big brother” card had been played. So, he had another Diet Coke with lime and went looking for an empty table to watch the end of some kind of performance.

                “First time here?” A voice startled Donghae out of his mental evaluation of the dancers he was watching, and he looked up to see a small demon with horns and goat legs and what looked like claws instead of fingernails. “The little lost lamb look kind of gives you away. You here by yourself?”

                It took Donghae a moment to remember how to respond. He’d always been interested in demons, but this was the first time he’d ever met one was far as he knew. “No, I came with my brother but he took off with,” Donghae wrinkled his nose as he tried to remember the man’s name. “Jungsoo? I think that’s what he said, that he owned this place?” He was really doubting he’d gotten it right when the little demon cracked a huge smile, showing off a mouthful of needle sharp fangs.

                “So, you’re Jungsoo’s princess’s brother. I was beginning to think he’d just dreamt the whole thing or was telling us stories so we wouldn’t fuss about him finding somebody. Good to know he’s real. So, what’s your name? I’m Kim Ryeowook. My lovers and I work here.” The little demon offered his hand, which Donghae gingerly shook, afraid of the claws nicking him by accident. This was the demon executioner he’d heard stories about? Claws and fangs and red eyes or not, he looked about as dangerous as a box of newborn kittens.

                Ryeowook snorted. “I see the rumors of my numerous exploits have reached the regular humans now. The recognition of my name followed by disbelief is all over your face. Most stories are at best exaggerated, but I assure you some are true enough. Obviously I’m multi-natured, and I do eat people on occasion. Never patrons or regular humans though. I used to have to track down criminals myself when I was feeling hungry, but now the local prison supplies them for me, and my lovers and Jungsoo and his incubus Leeteuk keep me on a comfortable leash. So, what brings you here?”

                Donghae finally remembered he was being rude and tried to respond as normally as he could. “My name is Donghae and my now ex-fiancé had his mother send me live stream of his wedding with a woman he doesn’t even know. My best friend and stepbrother Heechul also just got dumped so he wanted to come check this place out and maybe get ridden hard. I came along in case he got himself into more trouble than even the great Kim Heechul could handle.”

                “So why aren’t you looking for a hookup? There are plenty of women and men who would be more than happy to comfort a freshly dumped cute young thing like yourself, at least for the night.”

                Donghae bristled slightly. “I’m gay not bi, and I’m not interested in either a one-night stand or attempting a new relationship when this all just happened earlier today. I’m here for Chullie, and maybe finally meet some demons in a friendly way, not a ual one.”

                Ryeowook waved his hands. “Okay, okay, truce, truce. I didn’t mean anything. I was just putting the idea out there. So, you want to meet demons huh? Why?”

                Donghae scratched the back of his neck as he thought of how to explain without seeming weird. “I just, I’ve always been interested in them as fellow beings, but I’ve never had a chance to meet any. Chullie and I grew up in boarding schools, which were strictly humans-only, and I went straight to work as a young adult novelist. My publishing company doesn’t hire demons, and in the circles Chullie and I tend to find ourselves in, no self-respecting demon would ever show his face I don’t think. He’d be bored. Then we heard about this place, and well it seemed like a good opportunity to finally get to do what I’ve always wanted to since they first taught us about them in school, actually meet demons to get to know them as individuals.”

                “Seems reasonable enough. I wish more people thought that way instead of gawking at us like we were exotic zoo specimens or treating us like garbage because most of us are tougher than your average human, or assuming all the stereotypes are true instead of just asking or doing basic research. That’s why places like Feed Your Demons are so important. They offer safe places for demons to be themselves and interact with each other or open-minded humans, even if they aren’t incubi looking for a feed.” Ryeowook grimaced and shook his head a bit violently before continuing. “Sorry, didn’t mean to climb on my soapbox, but it’s a cause that’s become very dear to me. Now come on Donghae, I’ll introduce you to some people who would be more than happy to answer your questions, and aren’t on the prowl so won’t get distracted or bugger out in the middle of the conversation.”

                Donghae was still a little shook about meeting the demon executioner, but followed Ryeowook anyway, and soon became too interested in the conversation he was having to worry about human-eating yet somehow adorable demons, or the fact that his oldest friend and brother was most likely getting his head knocked repeatedly into the headboard of a stranger, and one who was bonded to an incubus according to Ryeowook and owned a club where at least half the patrons were demons. In fact, it wasn’t until he had no idea how much later when he was startled by his phone announcing he had a new text, that he actually wondered what was going on with Heechul. The number was unfamiliar to him, but one of his new acquaintances was able to supply him with the answer.

                “That’s Jungsoo/Leeteuk’s cell phone number. Both of them have given it to more than one young demon who wanted a way to ask one or both of them questions without necessarily coming to the club, including myself. Sometimes it’s because we’ve moved due to oversaturation or because we’ve gotten a job that requires it, or we meet a possible love interest, or just happen to think of something we forgot and need a quick answer.”

                “I wonder why he is texting me instead of Chullie doing it” Donghae commented before tapping on the text to read it.

Donghae, I don’t know if anyone told you but I’m Leeteuk, Jungsoo’s incubus bondling. I got your number from the waiver Heechul signed earlier. His phone was locked and I wasn’t going to root around in his mind for the passcode without permission, so I got creative. He’s fine, but he won’t be moving for a while. He got the rough he wanted, and neither Jungsoo nor myself are eager to let him go. At the very least, we want him to sleep off whatever he’s drunk and he’ll probably have bruises and difficulty walking for a few days. We have everything we need to treat him here, so you have a choice to make, wait until he wakes up which may not be until noon or later tomorrow, go back to the hotel and wait for someone to call or text you to come get him, or you’re welcome to our guest room if you’d like. We have spare toothbrushes and keep spare clothes handy for anyone who may need them due to spilled drinks, rips from wings and tails due to unexpected shifts from the human to incubus bondling, or whatever else the case may be. If you do decide to stay, let Wookie know and he’ll show you where everything is. Before you freak, he left me a message saying you two had met and you were Heechul’s brother, not just his friend. If you want to go back to the hotel, talk to Kyu. He does most of the driving. However you choose, text me back and let me know.

                Now that he thought about it, Donghae was rather tired and he had no idea it was so late until he saw the time when his phone went off. He didn’t really want to leave Heechul though, so sent a reply saying he’d accept the offer of the spare room before excusing himself and going to find Ryeowook.