Chapter 26

Feed Your Demons (but read the fine print)

Hello my little kittens! I've been picking up extra shifts at work since everyone decided now was a great time to go on vacation, but I'm back with another chapter!

 

Present Day, Feed Your Demons

 

                Donghae sighed and chewed on the straw of his Diet Coke with lime. He’d been kicked out of the apartment several hours ago by a giggly Eunhyuk and smirking Leeteuk, told to make himself useful downstairs and that he was forbidden from coming back up for any reason. The last he’d seen of his incubus boyfriend had been when he had the clothes he’d planned on wearing that night thrown at him and the door slammed in his face before he had a chance to ask why. He’d been wondering, or Kyuhyun said pouting ever since.

                The full human had known the two incubi had been planning something the last several days, he just had no idea what, disappearing for hours on end for “lessons,” when he’d always been allowed to hold Eunhyuk before when he was learning to be a proper incubus. It wasn’t extra work on his reading either, the flashcards and booklets he was working on left in their spot on the end table in the living room. Hyukjae hadn’t been in charge of their body much either, only coming out to blaze through his online assignments he’d had much less difficulty with than he’d expected considering how long he’d gone without schooling, then a quick kiss and cuddle before turning the body back over to Eunhyuk who was suddenly “too busy” with his great-grandfather to spend much time with Donghae, who was feeling lonely despite Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, and Jongwoon/Yesung always happy to have an extra hand when they were working, or play a game of cards when they had nothing else to do. The only place he wasn’t welcome was the kitchen when the little multi-natured demon was working on his magnificent creations since Ryeowook tending to be in several places at once when he was cooking. It’s not like he hadn’t been making plans of his own with his incubus’ grandfather, but he felt a bit left out of whatever Eunhyuk was up to.

                Donghae also couldn’t help but wonder about Heechul. No matter how mad he was that his stupid brother would throw away everything he could’ve had with Jungsoo/Leeteuk for Hannie, who no doubt was still a sneaky, abusive bastard he loved the idiot he’d known since they were small children. He’d felt a little guilty about lying to Jungsoo and Ryeowook, even by admission but they didn’t need to worry or go tearing off to rescue Chullie from his own stupidity if he didn’t want to be. If he did decide to come back he could do so on his own, or everyone was only a phone call away.

                “Still pouting? Relax, would you? From what Teuk said this should be most interesting” Kyuhyun interrupted Donghae’s thoughts and the older full human startled a little before focusing his attention on the younger. “Oh, and I forgot earlier. I did what you asked. All you and the princess’ crap is in storage and I turned the keys into the landlord. He’s had a couple offers for the place so there was no problem breaking the lease, no penalty or anything. I’ve got some papers you need to sign and mail back and that’ll be the end of it.”

                “Huh, oh thanks Kyu. There’s no reason to pay for something we’re not using.” Fortunately, Donghae’s name had been on the lease to the rental house as well as Heechul’s, and they were each other’s power of attorney so could sign off on things for each other. The only thing Donghae had cared about was his fish and frogs’ regular aquarium/terrarium, which had been brought to the apartment above Feed Your Demons weeks ago and set up along a wall in the living room, now housing Jongwoon/Yesung’s turtles as well as his own pets. He’d felt guilty about not spending much time with them since he’d been so busy with Eunhyuk/Hyukjae, but they were well cared for by Jongwoon/Yesung and seemed happy enough. It was hard to tell with fish or amphibians. The rest of his and Heechul’s stuff had been packed back up by professional movers and taken to a storage facility. If Eunhyuk ever went back to normal, no doubt someday they’d consider getting a place for the three of them once he was no longer so dependent on being around the other demons, but he wanted his incubus and bondling to have just as much say in where they lived.

                “True. We’re about to open so why don’t you go change and see if Woonie needs any help? Those weirdos are back as the opening act, but there are very special performers later.”

                This was the first Donghae had heard of a special performance, but just finished his drink and handed the glass to Kyuhyun before going to do as the bartender suggested. After quickly changing in one of the back rooms he went to find Jongwoon, who was struggling with one of the set pieces and the sound system was giving some annoying feedback which they finally were able to fix. His clothes for that night weren’t anything particularly special, a tank top and jeans in the Feed Your Demons staff colors, and of course his bracelets. Since he’d been helping out lately instead of just watching, he’d been upgraded to one of the workers which he didn’t mind at all. It helped keep his mind off what Eunhyuk and Leeteuk were up to without him and it helped him feel useful since his incubus didn’t seem to need him except for cuddles at night in the puppy pile to help Leeteuk/Jungsoo sleep.

                Finally, things were ready and Donghae was set off to see if the bouncers or waitstaff needed any help. They had everything under control, so he got another “Donghae Special” from Kyuhyun and found a place near the stage so he could watch the performance, close enough that if anything happened he could hopefully get to it before a disaster occurred.

                The opening act went off without a hitch. There was a decent crowd that night, whooping and hollering at the quartet who were all dressed as on legs, especially the slender blonde dancer who seemed to be made out of rubber. They finished their set and ran offstage to mingle, while Jongwoon got Donghae’s attention to help set up for the main event, which the full human still had no idea about. He was then shooed off and went back to his place, where he was joined by Ryeowook, who was in his red velvet loincloth and had a wicked gleam in his soulless-looking eyes.

                The club went pitch-black. Since it was always fairly well-lit for the demon patrons, Donghae was afraid there was a blackout for a moment, only to be reassured and startled when a song he vaguely recognized as “Sympathy for the Devil” started playing and the entire club was bathed in a creepy reddish glow that brightened near the stage and highlighted the fact the smoke machine was working at full blast and that an extremely confident Eunhyuk had come out and was dancing, dressed in tight black pants and shiny boots Donghae hadn’t seen before. What surprised him more was that somehow his incubus had darkened his beautiful gold scales to a red even deeper than the lighting, and that his hair matched while his horns were pitch black. Then there were Eunhyuk’s eyes. Rather than his normal deep brown, they were solid black like his grandfather’s, and Donghae shivered.

                Ryeowook nudged the full human’s arm. “Relax Donghae, it’s all just for tonight” the multi-natured demon whispered directly into Donghae’s ear so he could understand. “Colored contacts, body spray paint, and temporary hair color. One shower and he’ll be back to normal. After he discovered Yunho was right for once and he was a natural-born dancer, he wanted to do something to surprise you with his gift and entertain the patrons of the club. Hyukjae apparently suggested a complete opposite of his real nature and knew a few songs that would work. Just enjoy and think about what shenanigans you can get up to later once he’s done showing off. You can even call it “punishment” for making you worry. I’ll tell you now he’s fully expecting anything you’ll be willing to give him, especially since desecrating the van was the last time you did that sort of thing. Hyukjae just asked not to be left out.”

                After the first shock and Ryeowook’s words, Donghae managed to do just that. He wasn’t sure exactly what he’d end up doing with his boyfriends later, but for now he’d admire Eunhyuk’s moves, now changed to fit whatever song was currently playing. He caught the word devil a couple of times, but English wasn’t his forte and it was hard to hear over the crowd who seemed to be just as stunned and impressed as he was with his incubus.

                A few songs later and the club went black again. A single golden spotlight was trained on stage, but Eunhyuk was no longer alone, now joined by his great-grandfather who was in pure white pants and heeled boots, a silver halo atop his head. He shook out his large feathery wings before facing the younger incubus and the two started dancing, mirroring each other as though they’d done so all their lives. Donghae actually recognized the song for once, “Heaven and Hell” and wondered at the incubi’ taste in music.

                The pair performed a couple more songs before joining hands and bowing as the house lights went back to normal. Leeteuk, always the attention seeker, was making some kind of speech but Eunhyuk couldn’t seem to get off the stage fast enough, nearly flying down the steps and straight into Donghae’s arms to cover the full human’s face in kisses.

                “Did you like it? Was it okay? I was worried you’d feel too left out. Next time, let’s dance together okay? I don’t mind dancing with Great-Grandpa but I’d rather dance with you” Eunhyuk was like a demonic wiggly puppy, which Donghae didn’t mind at all. He just laughed and pulled his incubus closer, matching him peck for peck before going in for a real kiss that had them both and gasping for air by the time they were done.

                “I liked it very much, but I’ve been lonely without you. Of course I’ll dance with you, whenever you ask” Donghae finally managed to respond, which earned him another deep kiss.

                The full human was vaguely aware of a sharp sound and a hiss before a very well-known voice interrupted him and Eunhyuk, who turned to face a sheepish-looking Heechul, who was in one of his skimpy dresses and had a red leather collar around his neck and was accompanied by a small young man who was poking him with a switch.

                “Hi Fishy, hi Monkey. Nice moves” the older man said, head bowed.

                “Chullie? What are you doing here? Who is that? Do Jungsoo and Leeteuk know you’re here? What about Hannie?”

                Heechul hung his head down further, only to get switched on his bare legs by the small man, who was glaring.

                “Head up. Look people in the eyes” the stranger ordered, only to have Heechul obey, meeting first Eunhyuk’s, then Donghae’s.

                “That “job offer” was Hannie’s way of trying to get me back. Well, actually it was nearly,” Heechul hesitated as he glanced at Eunhyuk, who had cocked his head listening. “something else. He had his wife with him, and you were right. She’s pregnant, and I’m pretty sure soon to be divorced. He’s worse than before. This is Byun Baekhyun. He rescued both of us, and he’s been helping me learn how to be a decent human being since. He’s heard everything that’s happened, and he knows everyone here. I’m not sure if they know yet or not, but I’m here to let everyone know I’m alive, and to apologize for everything I said and did before I left.”

                “Are you sleeping together?” Donghae made his voice as hard as he could. Apologies were all well and good, but Heechul really didn’t need to flaunt his new buddy, especially if he did know everyone at Feed Your Demons.

                “You must be Donghae, and no. I have a boyfriend who’s out of the country on business right now and I don’t sleep with my clients no matter how pretty” Baekhyun answered.

                “Clients?” Donghae was puzzled.

                “I dominate those who need it for one reason or another, as long as it’s not ually based. Most of my clients are like Heechul here, who majorly ed up and can’t get their own in a pile. He was in a bad situation, and over the nastiest coffee and Western breakfast I’ve ever seen in my life told me what he’s done. I know Leeteuk, Jungsoo, and company and didn’t have anything better to do until Channie gets back so I offered to help. We’ve been working at a homeless shelter near where, Hyukjae is it? used to live and it’s been good for him. He told me he hasn’t been in contact with any of you, so once I thought he could handle it, I wanted him to come see everyone before we go back. He’s not ready to stay, but he will be.”

                Donghae was still processing this information when Leeteuk’s voice broke in. “Heechul?”