Chapter 28

Feed Your Demons (but read the fine print)

                Long after everyone else currently in the apartment went to bed, Ryeowook stayed up at the kitchen table thinking, freshly clipped and filed claws curled around a mug of black, bitter coffee he kept hot by periodically generating just enough flame to heat the mug without making it explode. He couldn’t actually drink it since he had no human in his multi-natures to allow him to process human foods or drinks, but he found the smell soothing, much like when he was cooking.

                “Wookie? What are you doing up?” Kyuhyun came stumbling into the apartment well after the usual closing time, looking much the worse for wear, with messed up hair, a black eye, and torn clothing.

                “What happened to you?” Ryeowook asked his youngest lover, who he noticed was also limping as he headed into the kitchen to rummage around for the pain killers, a bottle of water, and a prefrozen icepack, the last of which he wrapped in a clean dish towel before applying it to his eye. He settled at the table across from the multi-natured demon and popped two pain pills in his mouth before chugging his water and reapplying his icepack.

                “One of the most spectacular barfights I’ve ever seen or been a part of. One of the new demons ignored the warning signs against alcohol and stole several of the humans’ drinks after I wouldn’t serve him. Instead of getting sick, he turned into the Hulk and started smashing the place up. Some of the regulars tried to help stop him while I alerted Kangin and the others, but it ended up turning into an all-out brawl. He’s locked in the containment room until he dries out, and fortunately only a couple people needed to go to the hospital. Broken arms, but they’ll be fine. We closed early and just now got done cleaning. He’s getting slapped with everyone’s bills, which of course he can’t pay so he’ll be working everything off here and getting some intensive lessons on how to act in the human world and among civilized demons. I’m thinking of asking Yunho to take the Brat on so he’ll leave Eunhyuk alone.”

                Ryeowook laughed hard enough he exposed his fangs and nearly sent himself into a coughing fit. “Yunho wouldn’t know how to act among the humans with step by step instructions.”

                Kyuhyun had a wicked grin of his own as he snatched Ryeowook’s coffee out of his claws and took a sip. “I know that, but I got you to laugh. I don’t need demon powers to know you’re thinking too much again. What’s going on Wookie? If you tell me nothing or that it’s demon politics or some other bs, I’ll get Woonie and/or Yesungie to double-team you for the next month.”

                “I’m not completely sure to be honest. It’s not like there’s anything major going on. Yunho really isn’t a threat, Eunhyuk and Hyukjae’s abusers have been caught and some will no doubt be my meals eventually, my grandson and his bondling found their life mate and sooner or later Donghae will figure it out and accept it. Heechul’s getting the help he needs to be Leeteuk and Jungsoo’s partner though I doubt they’ll bond the way I’m expecting the others to. I have you and Jongwoon and Yesung and a steady food supply. Maybe it’s because it’s been so crazy since Donghae rescued Eunhyuk and Hyukjae I just can’t accept we’re settling into something normal and functional since I’m expecting more shoes to drop.”

                “Maybe so.”

 

***

 

Two Months Later

                On a crisp, early-autumn day, when the leaves had turned to their fall colors but were still on the trees, the sun shining through almost like stained-glass, Lee Donghae finally admitted he was in love with both Eunhyuk and Hyukjae, and asked the human to marry him and the incubus to be his life mate. Of course they both said it was about time, then kept switching back and forth as they tackled him to the ground and peppered his face with kisses. They happily made the announcement as soon as they got home to the Feed Your Demons family, only to get told it was about time and that Ryeowook had had their wedding/mating ceremony planned for months, down to the matching white tuxedos.

                The wedding/mating ceremony itself was small, with Jungsoo asked to give Hyukjae away since even Kyuhyun could find no trace of any of his biological family, while Heechul, who now split his time between Feed Your Demons and the homeless shelter since he didn’t feel he was quite ready to come back full-time and actually rather enjoyed his work and Baekhyun’s and his boyfriend Chanyeol’s company, but missed Jungsoo and Leeteuk though he no longer wanted it as rough, acted as “Man of Honor.” The humans said their vows in the same park near the same trees Donghae proposed, but their reception was at Feed Your Demons, which only seemed right. Eunhyuk and Donghae traded mating marks that night, the matching bites on their throats as much of a testimony that the full human was mated with a demon as the rings on his and Hyukjae’s fingers were that he was married to a human.

                Donghae and Hyukjae and Eunhyuk took a world tour of every hot, sunny country and island with beaches they could find a resort on for their honeymoon, which lasted a full six months. They spent their days playing in crystal clear waters, the full human enjoying watching his husband and mate splashing around and becoming confident in their swimming. All the fighting not to go under or get pulled out too deep also helped strengthen Eunhyuk’s wings to the point he could actually fly. So, he would flap around the resorts they were at, startling the other guests until they got used to it, while Donghae used the hour or two his mate was amusing himself to work on his latest book, a how-to manual on the proper care and feeding of an incubus/human bondling pair, with Eunhyuk and Hyukjae’s full approval and input. Their nights were spent curled up together watching the stars, only to go inside and make love until they fell asleep in a tangle.

                Eventually they made their way home, tanned and happy and all three more muscular than when they left, and settled down to start their ordinary lives together. Wanting a place of their own after being used to it while they were away, they bought a small house near Feed Your Demons so Eunhyuk could see his grandfather and great-grandfather and continue his lessons on how to be a proper incubus. He occasionally performed with Leeteuk as well, though he preferred just dancing with Donghae, as did Hyukjae, who also eventually got his diploma from his online school. None of his blood relatives were ever found, although his foster brother, the son of the people who kicked him out for being gay tracked him down shortly after he and Eunhyuk and Donghae returned from their honeymoon. He had tears in his eyes and a large bouquet in his hands and he crumpled to his knees in apology in front of the startled human.

                “I am so sorry Hyukjae. I never meant for any of this to happen.”

                Hyukjae was obviously confused. One minute he’d been asking Kyuhyun, who was polishing glasses at the bar for help with his math homework while Donghae, who had been editing his manuscript but quit in favor of trying to distract him with kisses on his neck, the next a fat, balding stranger was acting like he’d killed Hyukjae’s whole family.

                “Meant for what to happen? I’m sorry, but do I know you?”

                “You don’t remember what happened all those years ago when my parents caught us together and threw you out with nothing, not even your shoes?”

                “I’m sorry, but I really don’t remember much from before my bondling and I met my husband/Eunhyuk’s mate Donghae. We were prisoners and abused for we have no idea how many years before Donghae and his stepbrother rescued us after we escaped from a speeding car, nearly dead.”

                Still on his knees, the stranger explained that they had been foster brothers, and had both figured out they were gay around the same time. They had been “experimenting” with each other, not realizing his parents had come home until his mother walked into their room and caught them making out. Deciding that Hyukjae had to have seduced their son, who couldn’t possibly be gay, his foster parents threw the confused thirteen-year-old into the street and sent their son to military school to have the “taint and shame” beaten out of him.

                “The joke is on them through. I met my partner who was from a similar situation though with a boy from his prior school, the second week I was there and we’ve been together ever since. We were shipped straight from graduation to the army, and by the time we got out I couldn’t find a single trace of you. I was afraid you were dead, and once my parents heard that not only was my “best friend” actually my boyfriend but I was looking for you, they disowned me. That’s okay. It just means they don’t get to meet and spoil their grandsons we adopted.”

                “How did you find me? I’m not exactly high profile.”

                The man set the flowers on his knees and pulled his wallet out of his pocket. He opened it and took out a newspaper clipping. He unfolded it and smoothed it out and showed Hyukjae and Donghae. It turned out to be their wedding announcement, complete with picture.

                “I don’t usually read the paper, but the boys had craft projects for school so I bought some to spread around so they didn’t get glue and paint all over the place and I saw that. Twenty years, and you’re still as beautiful as the day my parents brought you home to live with us. Don’t tell my partner I said that though. Will you accept my apology since it wasn’t your fault?”

                “It wasn’t yours either. Yes I went through hell, though truthfully my bondling took the brunt of it, but because of things happening I not only met Eunhyuk who was even more lost and alone than I was since at least I knew how the human world worked, but also the most wonderful, though truthfully craziest family anyone could ever ask for, including my husband and his life mate Donghae. When you come next time, will you bring your partner and boys with you? I’d like to meet them.”

                The man nodded so hard it looked as though his head was going to fly off, then finally stood and offered the bouquet to Hyukjae, who took it.

                “You loved flowers when we were kids. I took a chance you still did. Do you still dance? You were always so graceful. Mom and Dad would make snide remarks about how you only joined to show off in front of the girls, but I knew better. Dancing was part of you.”

                Hyukjae smiled and pulled his former foster brother and soon to be friend into a hug. “Now I dance with my husband, but thank you. I can’t remember my past and you telling me this makes it a little more real.” He let go and snuggled into Donghae’s arms since his husband was pouting.

                “Oh, you’re real alright” Donghae whispered into Hyukjae’s ear and Eunhyuk in the back of their mind, the three of them in sync as true bondlings/husbands/life mates should be.

 

 

That’s all there is I’m afraid folks. I just didn’t know how to end it and didn’t really want to, but there really wasn’t anything else to say. Until next time my little kittens, KE