Chapter twentytwo.

Work Of Art

 

Donghae’s POV
 
This has to be the funniest thing ever…  I have never seen Hyukjae like this.  He is known as the player of the group yet he’s flustered and shy when it comes to Park Bom!  Usually girls are at the palm of his hands but he’s at the palm of Bom’s hand.  This is hilarious… I can’t wait to tell the guys about this…  Our food came out and we started eating our food in silence.  
 
“You’re such a pig Minhee. Why do you have three wings on your plate?!” I told her.
 
“It’s so good and I’m scared that you guys are going to eat it all.” She told me while eating her chicken.
 
“We’re not going to eat it all.” I laughed at her.
 
“You may never know. It’s so good. Leave me alone and let me eat in peace.” She glared at me.
 
“Fine miss piggy.” I told her and put another piece of chicken on her plate. “Eat up. You’ve gotten skinnier.”
 
“You eat up too. You’ve gotten skinnier too.” She told me and grabbed a chicken and put it on my plate.
 
“And you guys said you guys weren’t going out.” Hyukjae spoke up.
 
“We’re not.” I told him.
 
“Sure. Only lovers do that.” He told me again.
 
“Shut up.” I told him.
 
“Eunhyuk-ssi is right. You guys act like you’re a couple.” Bom spoke up.
 
“Unnie we’re just friends.” Minhee spoke up.
 
I felt my heart sting a bit.
 
“Whatever you say Minhee. You guys seem like a couple more than you and Jiyong. Speaking of Jiyong… what’s going on with you two? He’s been calling me and telling me how you haven’t been responding to any of his calls.”
 
“It’s nothing unnie.” She told her while putting her chicken down.
 
“Did you guys fight?”
 
“Ani.” She replied.
 
“Then what?” She continued asking Minhee.
 
“It’s nothing. I don’t want to talk about it.”
 
“You can’t avoid it you know? Talk to me.” 
 
“Promise you won’t tell anyone?”
 
“I promise.”
 
“I went to Japan to surprise him but I saw him kissing some other girl.” Minhee told her.
 
“HE WHAT?! WHO?! ARE YOU SURE?!” Bom shouted and spit out her food and started choking.
 
Hyukjae started patting her back and gave her water.
 
“De. I don’t know who’s the girl but it was definitely him.” Minhee told her sadly.
 
“What a jerk! You’re sure you’re not misunderstanding the situation?”
 
“Ani. I stayed there to see if he was going to pull away but he didn’t.  He kissed her back too.”
 
“Wait until I get my hands on that .” Bom gritted her teeth.
 
“Don’t let anyone know.” Minhee told her.
 
“What are you going to do now? And who else knows?” She asked Minhee.
 
“I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. I don’t want to think about it.  Just you and Donghae and Eunhyuk oppa.” She answered.
 
“You need to confront him Minhee. Don’t drag this any longer.  It’ll be more complicated if you drag it on.”
 
“I know. I’ll talk to him once he returns to Korea. So for now, I just want to avoid it. Please don’t say anything to anyone.”
 
“I won’t. I can’t believe it. I’m sorry Minhee. We told you to take a chance with him but he’s been hurting you.” 
 
“It’s okay unnie. I chose to so don’t feel bad.” She told Bom and Bom turned to me.
 
“Donghae, I give you permission to beat the crap out of Jiyong when you see him.” She told me.
 
“Don’t worry. I will. I already warned him not to hurt Minhee.” I told her.
 
“Good. Give that kid a beating.” She told me.
 
“I’ll help Hae out too if you’ll let.” Hyukjae joined in.
 
“Go for it.” Bom smiled at him.
 
We spent the rest of our time eating and just talking about random things.  Minhee told them about how she got accepted to fashion school in Paris and how she was going to leave in a month.  They were happy for her.  Bom invited us out to go for drinks to celebrate for Minhee.  Minhee said she doesn’t drink so we ended up going to karaoke.  Bom was singing a song while Hyukjae was dancing and cheering for her.  Minhee and I were sitting side by side watching the scene in front of us.
 
“They’re so cute together.” Minhee whispered in my ears.
 
“Yeah. They’re really cute together. I hope after this Hyukjae would grow some balls and ask for her number.” I told her.
 
“Me too.” She giggled. 
 
Bom was done singing and handed Minhee the mic.
 
“I can’t sing unnie.” Minhee told her.
 
“I don’t care. Go sing.  Actually go do a duet with Donghae.” She grinned at us.
 
“DUET. DUET. DUET. DUET.” They were chanting and I just glared at Hyukjae.
 
“Fine.” I grabbed the mic and pulled Minhee up with us. 
 
They chose the song for us and we started singing.  I felt my heart beating so fast.  What’s going on with me?  She’s only your friend Donghae… she made it clear to you that she doesn’t like you.  There were times during the duet where we made eye contact.  Good thing that the lighting was bad or else everyone would see that I was blushing.  The song finally ended.  We sang a couple more songs and decided to call it a night.  I knew that Hyukjae still wanted to hang out with Bom more so I thought of a plan.
 
“I’m going to walk Minhee home. Hyukjae ah, go walk Bom home.” I told him.
 
“It’s okay. You don’t have to walk me home Eunhyuk-ssi. I can manage.” She told him.
 
“It’s okay. I want to walki you home. I can’t let a girl walk home by herself.” He told her.
 
“De. Let’s go. I’ll see you guys later. Tonight was fun. We should do this more often.” She told us and left.  Hyukjae turned around and gave us a thumbs up.
 
“He’s so adorable.” Minhee giggled. “He’s getting more comfortable with her. That’s a good sign.”
 
“Yeah. Let’s go. I’ll walk you home.” I offered her my arm and she accepted.
 
“Tonight was fun.” She told me.
 
“Yeah. Let’s do it again sometime. The four of us.”
 
“Yeah. Let’s do it one more time before you leave.” I told her.
 
“Okay.”
 
We finally arrived at her place.
 
“Thanks for tonight.” She told me. “I had a lot of fun and welcome back Donghae.”
 
“Thank you and thank you for hanging out with me today.” I smiled at her.
 
“Go first. I want to see you get a cab.” She told me.
 
“Alright.” I told her and walked towards the curb to call for a cab.
 
“Donghae.” She called me and I turned around. “Call me when you get back safely.”
 
“Alright.” I told her and waved bye to her.
 
Minhee’s POV
 
It was the day of my sister’s wedding and everything is so hectic!  My sister’s veil was missing and she was freaking out.  I had to search everywhere for her freaking veil.  Where could it be?!  After an hour of searching, we finally found it.  She left it in the bathroom.  It was time for the ceremony.  All the bridesmaid and groomsmen entered the church first.  My unnie looked so pretty and I was really happy for her.  I know that Janghyuk oppa is going to treat unnie like a queen.  The ceremony went by really fast.  I can’t believe unnie is married!  We were walking towards the car and unnie stopped.
 
“I left my bouquet in the church! Can you go get it Minhee?” Jinhee unnie asked me.
 
“De.” I told her and ran back to the church.  I found the bouquet and headed towards the car.
 
“You look really beautiful today.” I heard a voice.  I turned around and saw Donghae in a tux.
 
“What are you doing here?! I thought you were busy.” I told him.
 
“I arranged some things.  I couldn’t let you be dateless to your own sister’s wedding.” He smiled at me.
 
“I’m glad you’re here!” I ran up to him and pulled him into a hug. “You look handsome today.”
 
“I’m always handsome looking.” He hugged me back.
 
“Yah Minhee what’s taking you so long?!” Unnie said. “Oh? Donghae what are you doing here?”
 
We broke the hug and looked away from each other.
 
“Minhee asked me to be her date to your wedding. Congrats noona!” Donghae smiled at unnie.
 
“Thank you! Well we should head to the reception now.” Jinhee unnie told us.
 
“Is it okay if Minhee goes with me? I brought my car.” Donghae asked her.
 
“It’s fine. I’ll see you guys there.” Unnie told us and left to the car.
 
“Let’s go.” Donghae smiled at me and offered his arm.
 
“De.” I smiled at him and took his arm.
 
We arrived at the reception and it was beautiful.  I can’t believe unnie managed to get everything done in just two weeks.  If I ever do get married, I think I’ll ask unnie to plan everything for me.  I saw umma and appa and walked over to them.
 
“There you are! Where’d you go?” Umma asked me.  She was about to say something but she saw Donghae.
 
“Donghae. What are you doing here?” Appa asked him.
 
“I’m here as Minhee’s date.” He smiled at my parents. “Congratulations.”
 
“Thank you. You’re here as Minhee’s date? What about Jiyong?” Umma asked.
 
“Jiyong is in Japan so Minhee asked me to accompany her.” Donghae answered.
 
“Ah. Well welcome and it’s nice to see you again. You look really handsome.” Umma smiled at him.
 
“Thanks ahjumma.” He smiled at my mom.
 
“You kids should go sit at your table. The reception is about to start.” Appa told us.
 
“De.” I answered and we walked over to where our table was located.  
 
We sat with the bridesmaid and the groomsmen.  The bridesmaid were basically drooling over Donghae.  They looked at him like he was a piece of meat.  I don’t know why but I felt uncomfortable with them looking at him like that so I wrapped my arms around his arm and glared at them.
 
“Minhee my arm needs to breath you know.” Donghae whispered to me.
 
“Sorry.” I told him and released my grasped from his arm.
 
“Were you jealous?” He teased me.
 
“W-what are you talking about? Shut up and eat your food.” I told him and stuffed my mouth with food and I heard him laughing.
 
“Slow down. You’re going to choke on your food.  No one’s going to eat your share.” He told me.
 
“Just eat.” I told him and saw unnie looking over at us.
 
It was time for the speech.  The MC invited me up to the stage.
 
“Hey everyone. Are you guys having fun?  I know I am.  You guys probably know who I am.  I’m Jinhee unnie’s younger sister.  I remember unnie calling me two weeks ago to tell me how she got engaged.  But here we are two weeks later at her wedding reception.  I have to admit… at first I was cynical of the idea of unnie putting together a wedding in just two weeks.  I thought it was impossible but she proved me wrong.  I can’t believe unnie managed to do all this in just two weeks.  I’m really happy for unnie.  I know for sure that Jaehyuk oppa will make her happy.  I know that he will care for her and cherish her for the rest of his life.  I hope you guys will continue on loving each other.  Please take care of unnie for me oppa.  Even if she acts like she’s tough sometimes…she really isn’t.  I hope you guys don’t hurt each other.  Oppa, remember this… a happy life equals a happy wife.  Unnie should always be your number priority from now on.  Unnie, I love you and I’m happy for you.  I hope someday I will be able to find someone that will love me like how oppa loves you.  I wish you luck on starting this brand new chapter with each other.  To the bride and groom.” I said.
 
Unnie got up from her seat and walked up to me and pulled me into a tight hug.
 
“Thank you Minhee. I love you so much little sister.” She told me.
 
“I love you too unnie.” I told her and hugged her back.
 
After the speeches and everything, the MC started games for the guests to play.  I took my seat beside Donghae and we were just watching everyone interact with each other.  After the games were done, the DJ started playing music.  Unnie asked me to dance with her.  She dragged me to the dance floor and we were dancing with each other while the guys were watching us.
 
“You know if you weren’t going out with Jiyong I would’ve thought you and Donghae were an item.” She told me.
 
“But we’re not.” I told her.
 
“But you have feelings for him.” She told me.
 
“W-who said that?”
 
“I can see it Minhee.  I can clearly see it in your eyes that you love Donghae.  Are you sure you’re with the right guy?” Unnie told me.
 
“Unnie I don’t love Donghae.” I told her.
 
“Keep telling yourself that kiddo. Everyone practically knows that you’ve been in love with him ever since you guys were little.” She told me.
 
“That was back then. I don’t love him.” I told her.
 
“Then why were you jealous back at the table?”
 
“I-I wasn’t jealous.” I told her.
 
“Sure. You should’ve seen your face. You looked like you were going to kill those girls.” Unnie told me.
 
“Stop talking. I don’t love Donghae. I have a boyfriend.” I told her.
 
“Fine. Whatever then.” She told me and the music stopped. It was time for the slow dancing part.  Unnie returned to oppa’s side and I felt someone tapping me on the shoulder.
 
“Can I have this dance?” Donghae smiled at me and I just nodded my head.  We were dancing to the music and it felt like we were the only ones on the dance floor.  He looked really handsome today.
 
“Thanks for coming today.” I broke the silence.
 
“No problem.  Noona’s like a real noona to me so I wouldn’t miss this.” He told me. 
 
“Are you having fun?” I asked him.
 
“Yeah. It’s a great wedding.  Plus, I have you by my side so of course I’m having fun.” He grinned at me and I just blushed.
 
“S-stop saying things like that.” I told him.
 
“Why not?”
 
“Because you don’t mean it.” I told him.
 
“I mean every word of it Minhee.” He told me seriously.
 
“Why-” I was about to ask when I felt his lips against mine.  I was about to break it when I felt his hands on my face deepening the kiss.
 
We finally broke the kiss and stared at each other.
 
“I-I have to go.” I told him and ran out of the room.  I heard him calling after me but I didn’t want to be there.
 
Why did he kiss me?  What does it mean?! Why is my heart beating so fast?! What is going on?
 
Donghae’s POV
 
I couldn’t take it anymore.  Being here as Minhee’s date made me realize that I can’t forget about her.  I love her too much. I don’t care if she’s with Jiyong… I don’t care about any of that. I just know that I want to be with her. I don’t regret kissing her.  I have to let her know my feelings towards her.  I was about to run after her when I felt someone grabbing my shoulder.  It was Jinhee noona.
 
“Just let her cool down first Donghae.” Noona told me.
 
“I’m sorry noona.” I told her.
 
“Why are you sorry?”
 
“I-I don’t know. I didn’t mean to chase her away.” 
 
“You didn’t do anything Donghae.” She told me.
 
“I’m so stupid.” I told her.
 
“You’re not. Why’d you kiss Minhee anyways?”
 
“It’s because I love her.” I told her.
 
“You love her? But you do know she’s with Jiyong right?” Noona told me.
 
“I know that but I don’t care. I just want Minhee to know my true feelings. It’s all my fault. Why didn’t I realize that I was in love with Minhee all along?”
 
“Well that’s life for you kiddo. But you want to know something? I’m rooting for you.  You’re the only one that I know who can truly make Minhee happy. Don’t get me wrong… Jiyong’s a nice guy but I prefer you.” Noona told me.
 
“Does that mean you give me permission to court Minhee?” I asked her.
 
“We’ve all been waiting for this Donghae. It took you forever to finally ask us!” Noona teased us.
 
“Should I go after her now noona?” I asked her.
 
“Go. But she’s not going to be home.” 
 
“Then where would she be?” I asked.
 
“She’s probably down the lake.  Go to her and talk things out with her. Good luck Hae.” Noona smiled at me.
 
“Thanks noona.” I smiled at her and ran towards the lake where Minhee and I use to spend time at all the time.
 
Noona was right. Minhee was there.  She was sitting on the floor staring at the lake.  Her back was facing towards me and tonight was a full moon.  I walked towards her.
 
“Minhee.” I called out and she stood up but her back still faced me.
 
“Stand right there. Don’t come any closer!” She told me.
 
“Minhee, we need to talk.” I said.
 
“Don’t come any closer! What part of don’t move don’t you understand?!” She raised her voice.
 
“We need to talk.” I told her.
 
“About what?” She asked.
 
“The kiss.” I told her.
 
“Let’s forget that ever happened.” She told me.
 
“I don’t want to forget about it.” I told her.
 
“Why not?” She asked.
 
“Because…” I said.  Noona said I should go for it right?
 
“Because what?” She asked softly.
 
“Because I love you. I love you Minhee. I’m in love with you. I’ve been in love with you ever since we went on the trip to Mokpo.  I realized that it has always been you.  I’ve been in love with you since we were kids but I was too stupid to realize it.” I told her and she turned around to face me.  There were tears in her eyes.
 
“W-why now?” She asked. “Why confess to me now?”
 
“Because I can’t take it anymore. I just want you to know my true feelings.” I told her.
 
“It’s too late now.” She told me.
 
“Why?” I asked her.
 
“Because I have a boyfriend. You can’t just confess to me now when I have a boyfriend!  I don’t get why you’re confessing to me now!” She told me.
 
“What boyfriend?! He cheated on you yet you still consider him as your boyfriend!” I began to raise my voice at her.
 
“He’s still my boyfriend.  And I love him.” She told me.
 
“Then why’d you kiss me back?” I asked her.
 
“It was just in the moment.  It didn’t mean anything.” She told me.
 
“It didn’t mean anything? I know you have feelings for me too Minhee! Why can’t you admit it!? I know you felt something when we kissed!” I told her.
 
“I didn’t feel anything at all.  Let’s just forget about the kiss and forget about your confession. I can’t return your feelings. Let’s just be best friends.” She told me.
 
I felt my heart breaking. This whole time I thought I had a chance with her.  I thought she had felt something for me too.  I’m such an idiot for believing I had a chance with her.
 
“Well I’m sorry for kissing you and confessing to you. It’ll never happen again.  I don’t think things will be the same anymore. I can’t be best friends with you anymore.” I told her and turned around and started walking away from her.
 
“WHY NOT?!” She yelled at me and I turned around to face her.
 
“BECAUSE IT HURTS TOO MUCH.  I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH AND I CAN’T BE FRIENDS WITH YOU. IT HURTS ME TO SEE YOU WITH JIYONG.  IT HURTS ME TO SEE YOU CRYING OVER ANOTHER GUY. I CAN’T BE FRIENDS WITH YOU ANYMORE BECAUSE I DON’T SEE YOU AS A FRIEND.” I shouted at her and walked away from her.
 
I ran all the way home and locked myself in my room.  Was this how it feels like to get your heart broken?  Tonight was the first time that I’ve ever gotten my heart broken.  Choi Minhee, I can’t be by your side anymore.  It just hurts too much.
 
Minhee’s POV
 
After Donghae told me he couldn’t be friends with me anymore and left, I broke down.  I felt bad that I lied to him.  I can’t tell him that I love him too.  It wouldn’t be fair to him.  I’m leaving to Paris in two weeks.  And I’m going to be gone for two years.  It wouldn’t be fair for him.  I can’t do that to him.  I’ve realized that I’ve never really loved Jiyong. I was just using him to get over Donghae but that failed.  Donghae will always be my love but I can’t let him know that.  I hope that when I leave Paris, he’ll find someone that can make him happy.  I don’t want him to wait for me.
 
After breaking down, I headed towards home.  I saw a car in front of me.  The driver got out and it was the last person that I wanted to see.