Chapter eleven

Work Of Art

 

Jiyong and I spent the whole day hanging out with each other.  I ended up touring him around Mokpo.  We both had a really great time and I’m glad that Jiyong’s here with me.  We just had dinner and now we’re walking back to my place.
 
“Mokpo’s a pretty cool place.” Jiyong said.
 
“It’s okay.” I told him.
 
“I like it. The guys should come here for vacation next time.”
 
“Dork.” I laughed at him.
 
“What?”
 
“You can vacation anywhere and you choose to vacation in Mokpo.” I told him.
 
“It’s simple and there’s privacy.” He said.
 
“Whatever you say.” I told him.
 
“I had a lot of fun today Minhee. Thanks for showing me around.” He smiled at me.
 
“No problem. Thanks for taking me here.”
 
“So I have some bad news to tell you.” Jiyong said which made me stop.
 
“What?”
 
“It’s nothing bad.” He laughed at me.
 
“What is it then?”
 
“I have to go back to Seoul tomorrow.  Apparently there’s this meeting that I have to attend.” He told me.
 
“When are you leaving?”
 
“Early in the morning. Sorry if I can’t stay this whole week.” He told me.
 
“It’s okay. You scared me. Thanks for driving me here once again.” I told him.
 
“No problem. If you don’t have a ride back to Seoul just call me.”
 
“Alright.” I told him and we finally arrived at the house.
 
“Next time I’m bringing the boys here and you better show us around.” He grinned at me.
 
“Deal. Go up first. I’m not tired yet and you should sleep since you’re leaving tomorrow morning already.” I told him.
 
“Alright. Good night Minhee and thank you for today.  And in case if I don’t see you tomorrow… Bye Minhee and I’ll see you in Seoul. Have fun on your vacation.” He told me.
 
“No problem and I’ll see you soon.” I smiled at him.  I don’t know what possessed me but I leaned in and gave him a kiss on his cheeks. “Sorry.”
 
“It’s okay. I’ll see you later.” He said shyly and left inside the house.
 
What did I just do?!  Why did I kiss him on the cheeks?!  Stupid Minhee.  I hope things aren’t going to be awkward between us!!
 
Donghae’s POV
 
After spending the whole day with my family, I decided to go visit Minhee and her family.  It’s been a while since I spent time with her family.  They were like my second family.  I stopped by the bakery to get some bread for Minhee and her family.  
 
“Omo Donghae! What are you doing here?” Mrs. Park said.
 
“I’m visiting my family.” I smiled at her. “How are you?”
 
“I’m good. Minhee was here a couple of hours ago! She was with some fine young gentlemen!” She told me.
 
“I know. He’s her boss.” I told her.
 
“They look really cute together!” She told me and I didn’t like the sound of that.  I felt uncomfortable with the idea of Minhee and Jiyong being together.
 
“They’re just friends.” I told her.
 
“Well they should get together! What do you think of them?” She asked me.
 
“I don’t think they’re compatible.” I told her.
 
“Why not?”
 
“I just don’t see them together.” I told her. “Mrs. Park can I get my breads now?”
 
“Sure.” She told me.  
 
After I was done with choosing the bread, I headed to the counter so I can pay for the bread.
 
“How much do I owe you?” I asked her.
 
“It’s on the house. I haven’t seen you in a while.” She smiled at me.
 
“It’s okay Mrs. Park. I’ll pay for them.”
 
“I insist.” She smiled at me.
 
“Thank you.” I told her and grabbed the bags.
 
“You know Donghae… if you like her you should tell her.” She told me.
 
“What are you talking about Mrs. Park?” I asked her.
 
“If you like Minhee tell her before someone else does.” She told me.
 
“She’s my best friend Mrs. Park. I can never like her.”
 
“Keep telling yourself that Donghae. I’ll see you later.” She smiled at me.
 
What the heck? I don’t like Minhee that way.  She’s just like a sister to me.  Why would Mrs. Park think that I like Minhee?  She knows that we’re just close friends.  I ended up arriving at Minhee’s house.  I rang the door bell and her sister opened the door.
 
“Omo. Donghae what are you doing here?” She asked me.
 
“Hi noona! It’s been a while now!” I smiled at her.
 
“Look at you! You’re all grown up now!  I remember the last time we met you were a puny kid!” She laughed at me.
 
“I’m a man now right noona?” I asked her.
 
“Indeed. What are you doing here?” She asked me.
 
“Is Minhee here?” I asked her.
 
“How’d you know that Minhee’s in town?” She asked.
 
“We planned this trip.” I told her.
 
“You did?! You guys are talking again?”
 
“De. We made up a few months ago.” I told her.
 
“Wow. I missed out on a lot. Come on in.” She told me and I entered the house.
 
“Jinhee, who’s here?” I heard Mrs. Choi asking.
 
“Donghae’s here.” Jinhee told her and I saw Mrs. Choi entering the living room.
 
“What are you doing here Donghae?” She asked me.
 
“I bought some bread for Minhee and you guys.” I smiled at her.
 
“You bought us bread? How sweet of you!” Mrs. Choi smiled at me.
 
“Let me get some juice.” She told me and went into the kitchen.
 
“Noona, where’s Minhee?” I asked her.
 
“She’s not home yet. She’s still with Jiyong.” Noona told me.
 
“They’re not home yet?” I asked her.
 
Why the hell isn’t she home yet?  Why is she still out with that guy!?
 
“Yeah. They called a while ago saying that they’re grabbing some dinner then heading home after.” She told me.
 
“I see noona. Noona I think I have to go now. I remember how I have to help my mom with dinner.” I lied to her.
 
“Oh already? You’re not going to wait for Minhee?” She asked me.
 
“I’ll visit her another time.” I smiled at her.
 
“Alright then. See you later Donghae and it was nice seeing you again.”
 
“It’s nice seeing you again noona. Tell your mom goodbye for me.”
 
“Alright. Be careful with getting home.”
 
“De. Bye noona.” I told her and walked out the door.
 
I don’t know why but I’m pissed that Minhee is still out with Jiyong.  Why is she hanging out with him so much?  I don’t like how he’s here with her… this should be mine and Minhee’s time.  I was about to walk when I saw Minhee and Jiyong walking.  I hid in the bushes to see what they were doing.  They were laughing and playing with each other.  They stopped at her door step and they were just talking.  I see her leaning in and giving him a kiss on the cheek.  They were both acting shy!  What the hell!  Does Minhee like him?  I didn’t want to see this anymore so I walked back to my house.  Why am I feeling this way?  I think it’s just that I’m so overprotective of Minhee.  I don’t think Jiyong’s good enough for her.
 
Minhee’s POV
 
I was sitting on my front porch steps.  I didn’t want to go inside for now.  I can’t believe I kissed him on the cheeks.  What’s going on with me?  Sigh.
 
“Why are you sitting out here by yourself?” Jinhee unnie asked me.
 
“Unnie.” I smiled at her. “I just wanted some fresh air.”
 
“I see. So Jiyong’s really good looking.” Unnie told you.
 
“Not you too.” I whined.
 
“What? He is good looking. No wonder why he’s the leader of Big Bang.” She smiled at me.
 
“Whatever unnie. You can have him then.” I told her.
 
“Nah. He’s all yours.”
 
“He’s not mine unnie. We’re just friends!” I told her.
 
“That’s what they all say.” She told me.
 
“Whatever.” I told her.
 
“Oh yeah. Donghae was here like ten minutes before you guys got home.” She told me.
 
“Donghae was here?” I asked her.
 
“Why do you sound so excited?” She asked me. “Don’t tell me you still love him.”
 
“It’s hard unnie. I’ve been trying to move on.” I told her.
 
“I guess.  But I won’t sit around if he hurts you again.” She told me.
 
“I know that unnie but don’t worry we’re just friends.” I told her.
 
“You should give Jiyong a chance then.”
 
“Why would I give him a chance?” I asked her.
 
“Because you guys look cute together and it seems like he’s a nice guy.” She told me.
 
“So why was Donghae here?” I changed the subject.
 
“He wanted to see you and he bought bread.” She told me.
 
“Ah I see. Did he stay for long?”
 
“No. He stayed for a bit and then left.” 
 
“I see.” I told her.
 
“Minhee if you don’t have a chance with him I suggest you move on.  I’m only saying this because I don’t like seeing you get hurt.” Unnie told me.
 
“I’m trying unnie. Can we not talk about this?” I told her.
 
“Fine.” She said.
 
We ended up staying outside for hours talking and catching up with one another.  I really miss my unnie and I’m glad that I get to spend time with her.  It was getting late so I decided to call it a night and headed for bed.
 
=Next Morning=
 
I woke up and saw a note on my bed.  It was from Jiyong.
 
Hey. I didn’t want to wake you up since you were sleeping like a pig.  I left already and I’ll give you a call when I arrive in Seoul.  Thanks for the tour and I hope you have a great week with your family. 
 
Jiyong.
 
I smiled at the note.  He’s a really sweet guy.  I went to get ready and headed downstairs.  My parents weren’t home.  Where’d they go?  I saw unnie sitting on the table eating breakfast.
 
“You’re awake already?  Umma and appa went out with friends.  I have to go to work in a bit so you’ll be by yourself for a while.” She told me.
 
“It’s okay. I’ll just go walk around or something.” I told her.
 
“Why don’t you visit Hanbyul and Sohyun. You guys haven’t seen each other in a while.” She told me.
 
“Oh yeah! That’s a good idea! Thanks unnie.” I smiled at her.
 
Unnie left after she ate her food and I was stuck home alone.  I took out my phone and dialed Hanbyul’s number.
 
“Minhee?”
 
“De. Are you busy?”
 
“Yeah. I’m in Jeju with my family. What’s up? You haven’t called me in a while!”
 
“I’m sorry I’ve been busy with work. I’m in Mokpo right now!”
 
“YOU ARE?! YOU SHOULD’VE TOLD ME! AND SOHYUN’S OUT OF THE COUNTRY RIGHT NOW TOO! YOU SHOULD’VE TOLD US SOONER!” She whined.
 
“That ! I’m sorry. Next time I’ll give you guys a head’s up.”
 
“You better. I have to go now Minhee I’ll talk to you later.”
 
“De.” I told her and she hung up.
 
What am I going to do now then?  I don’t want to be alone.  I should call Donghae and see what he’s doing?  I dialed his number but it went straight to his voice mail.  That’s weird.  I wonder if he’s home.  I grabbed my bag and keys and headed towards his house.  I rang the doorbell and his mom opened it.
 
“Omo Minhee! It’s been a while since I last saw you! How are you honey and what are you doing here?” She pulled me into a hug.
 
“Hi Mrs. Lee. I’m fine and how are you? I’m here to see if Donghae’s home.” I told her.
 
“I’m doing well. You’ve gotten so much prettier!  Donghae’s still sleeping right now. You should go wake him up.” She smiled at him. “Do you remember what room?”
 
“De.” I smiled at her.
 
“Good luck.” She winked at me and left into the kitchen.
 
I walked upstairs and headed towards Donghae’s room.  I entered his room.  It was still the same.  I saw Donghae sleeping soundly on his bed.  I walked over to him and poked him.
 
“Donghae wake up.” I said and he moved a bit. “Donghae it’s late. You should wake up now.”
 
“Umma. I just want to sleep. I never get to sleep in like this.” He whined.
 
“I’m not your mom Donghae.” I told him and he opened his eyes.
 
“What are you doing here?” His tone of voice changed.  It seems like he’s mad at me.  Did I do something wrong?
 
“I came here to visit you.” I told him.
 
“I just want to sleep though. You should go back and hang out with Jiyong.” He said while closing his eyes.
 
“He left this morning already.” I told him.
 
“So you had no one else to hang out with and came to me.” He said and turned over so his back was facing towards me.
 
“I’m sorry but did I do something to offend you?” I asked him.
 
“No. I’m just tired. You should leave.” He told me.
 
“Then how come I’m getting the vibe that you’re mad at me?” I asked him.
 
“I’m not.”
 
“Yes you are. Is it because I wasn’t home yesterday when you came to visit?”
 
“No. I’m not mad. You’re being annoying right now Minhee. Just go home. I want to sleep.” He said.
 
“I’ll leave once you tell me why you’re mad at me.”
 
“I’m not mad.”
 
“You are.”
 
“I’m not.”
 
“You are mad at me. Just tell me why.”
 
“I’m not mad Minhee.”
 
“You are.”
 
“WHAT PART OF I’M NOT MAD AT YOU DON’T YOU FREAKING UNDERSTAND?! WHY ARE YOU BEING SO ANNOYING?! I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT I WANTED TO SLEEP!” He shouted at me while sitting up.
 
He never yelled at me before.  Never once. 
 
“I-I’m sorry.” I said and ran out the door and ran down the stairs.
 
“Minhee what’s going on? Why was Donghae yelling?” His mom asked me.
 
“It’s nothing.” I told her.
 
“Are you sure? Why are you crying? Did he yell at you?” His mom asked me.
 
“I’m fine. I’ll see you later Mrs. Lee. It’s nice seeing you again.” I bowed to her and left Donghae’s house in a hurry.
 
What’s his problem? I didn’t even do anything to him.  Why is he PMSing.  So annoying.  I don’t even know why I’m crying.  I guess it’s because he never really yelled at me before.  I walked back to my house feeling all gloomy.  I didn’t feel like doing anything now. 
 
Donghae’s POV
 
I don’t even know why I snapped at her like that.  Why did I even yell at her?  I did tell her already that I wanted to sleep but she kept on bothering me.  My mom walked into my room.
 
“What happened? Why was Minhee crying?” She asked me.
 
. She was crying?
 
“I wanted to sleep and she didn’t let me.” I told umma and she went over to me to smack me on my head.
 
“You yelled at her because you wanted to sleep? She came over here to visit you!” Umma yelled at me.
 
“Umma that hurts! She only came here because Jiyong went home already!” I whined.
 
“Who’s Jiyong?” Umma asked me.
 
“Big Bang’s leader.” I told her.
 
“Why is he here?”
 
“Because she needed a ride and he gave her a ride here.” I told her.
 
“So that’s why you snapped at her.” Umma smiled at me.
 
“Why are you smiling like that?” I asked her.
 
“Lee Dongae, you silly boy. You’re jealous.  That’s why you’re mad at her.” 
 
“W-what are you talking about mom. Come on… it’s Minhee. I can never like her!”
 
“And why not? You guys are so cute together!” Umma told me.
 
“She’s my best friend!”
 
“So? Doesn’t mean you can’t like her.” She told me.
 
“I don’t like her!”
 
“Keep telling yourself that honey but you like her.  You’re jealous.” She told me.
 
“I don’t like her umma.” I told her.
 
“Keep telling yourself that. You better fix things up with her! I want to have dinner with her before you leave.” She told me and left my room.
 
I’m jealous? I can’t be jealous!  I just don’t like Jiyong with her.  I don’t think he’s good enough for her!  Minhee deserves better!  My mom’s wrong. I’m not jealous… I’m just looking out for Minhee.