Chapter twelve

Work Of Art

 

I got off my bed to get ready.  I was wrong to yell at Minhee like that. I don’t know what happened. I’m such an idiot.  I told my mom that I was going to Minhee’s and ran over to her house.  I arrived and knocked on the door.  A few seconds later, Minhee opens the door and her eyes were red and puffy.  Crap. I made her like this.  You should be ashamed of yourself!
 
“What are you doing here?” She asked me coldly and was about to shut the door on me put I pushed the door back.
 
“Minhee I’m sorry for yelling at you.” I told her.
 
“Now you’re sorry?” She scoffed at me.
 
“I’m sorry Minhee. I didn’t mean to yell at you.” I told her.
 
“Whatever. I don’t want to see you right now.” She told me tried to close the door again.
 
“I’m sorry Minhee.” I told her.
 
“You’re always sorry.” She rolled her eyes.
 
“Because I am.” I told her and pulled her into a hug.
 
“Let me go Donghae!” She said while pushing me away.
 
“Not until you forgive me.” I told her while tighten the hug.
 
“Let go Donghae.” She told me.
 
“No.”
 
“Let go.”
 
“Forgive me then.”
 
“You’re stupid.”
 
“Yes I’m stupid. Forgive this stupid friend.” I told her.
 
“I hate you.”
 
“Forgive me.”
 
“I don’t want to be your friend anymore.”
 
“Too bad. You’re stuck with me.”
 
“Let go.”
 
“No.” I told her.
 
“Let go Donghae. I can’t breathe.  Do you want your best friend to die?” She said.
 
“I’m sorry.” I let go of the hug and smiled at her.
 
“You better not do that again.” She rolled her eyes.
 
“I won’t. Can I come in?” I asked her.
 
“Sure. My parents are gone and unnie’s at work.” She told me and I followed her into the living room.
 
“Did you eat yet?’ I asked her.
 
“Not yet. I was going to ask if you wanted to go eat but you yelled at me.” She pouted at me.
 
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.” I told her.
 
“Are you mad at me?” She asked me.
 
“I’m not mad. I was just cranky.” I told her.
 
“Are you sure because you never yell at me.” She told me.
 
“I’m sure. I was just cranky and I took it out on you.” I told her.
 
“Okay then.” She smiled at me.
 
“Let’s go eat. My treat.” I told her.
 
“Okay. And thank you for the bread.” She told me.
 
“No problem. Let’s go eat now.” I said and we went to the diner near her house.
 
I ordered a bowl of noodles while she ordered bimibap.  We got small bowls and split our food.  This is what we always did.  We always ordered something different and share it with each other.
 
“The noodles here is still good!” I told her.
 
“I know. This is why they’re doing so well. The taste is always the same.” She smiled at me.
 
“Do you want to hang out after this?” I asked her.
 
“Sure.” She said.
 
“What do you want to do?”
 
“We should go to the beach like the old times.” She told me.
 
“Okay.” I grinned at her.
 
After we were done with our food, we headed towards the beach.  This made me think of the old days when we both would go eat then head to the beach and hang out with each other.  I couldn’t help but smile.  I felt really happy at this moment.
 
“What are you smiling about?” I heard her asking me.
 
“I was just remembering the old days.” I told her.
 
“What old days?”
 
“When we use to go eat then head to the beach.” I smiled at her.
 
“You actually remember those days?”
 
“Yup. Why? You don’t?”
 
“I do. I’m just surprised that you do.” She told me.
 
“And why is that?” I raised my eyebrow at her.
 
“Because you’re you.” She told me.
 
“That doesn’t make sense!” I told her and she started laughing.
 
“Well it doesn’t have to.” She stuck her tongue out at me and ran away from me.
 
“Get back here Minhee!” I yelled at her and ran after her.
 
“Come and catch me then!” She yelled and ran towards the water.
 
“Wait until I get my hands on you.” I told her and ran as fast as I could to catch up with her.
 
“You’re too slow Donghae. You’re out of shape.” She teased me.
 
“We’ll see about that!” I said and finally caught up to her. “Gotcha!”
 
I took her in my arms and carried her over my shoulder.
 
“Put me down Donghae.” She giggled.
 
“Nope. You called me a slow poke and then you say that I’m out of shape.” I told her. “You should be punished.”
 
“What are you going to do?” She asked.
 
“You’ll see.” I smirked.
 
“Put me down first!”
 
“Nope.” I laughed and walked towards the water.
 
“You’re not going to drop me in the water right?” She asked me but I didn’t answer her. “Donghae don’t you dare drop me in the water!!!”
 
“What are you going to do about it?” I asked her.
 
“Donghae please don’t drop me in the water.” She said cutely.
 
“Just because you’re talking cutely to me doesn’t mean I’m going to stop.”
 
“You .”
 
“I know that.” I smiled and dropped her in the water.
 
“You’re so mean!!!!” She whined and I just laughed at her. “Help me up. I can’t get up now.”
 
“Fine.” I laughed at her and put my hand out to help her up.  That was a mistake.
 
“Gotcha!” She smiled and pulled me into the water.
 
“Choi Minhee!” I said.
 
“You started it.” She laughed and ran away from me.
 
“Get back here!” I yelled while running after her.
 
“Never!” She turned around and stuck her tongue at me.
 
“Come here!”
 
“Catch me then.” She laughed.
 
I finally caught up to her and wrapped my arms around her shoulders.
 
“Where do you think you’re going Minhee?” I asked her.
 
“How’d you catch up to me already?” She whined.
 
“I’m not out of shape Minhee.  Maybe that’s you.” I .
 
“Whatever. Let’s go collect shells!” She said.
 
“You’re such a little kid.” I told her.
 
“Donghae can you let go of me now. I can’t breathe.” She told me.
 
“Sorry.” I said while letting go of her. “Let’s go collect shells.”
 
“Yay. Let’s go!” She said and grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the shores.  I felt a spark when she grabbed my hand.  What’s this feeling?  I’ve never had this feeling before.  
 
I saw her kneeling down collecting shells while smiling.  She looked so beautiful.  How can someone who’s so simple be this beautiful.  She was only wearing a pink and purple plaid button up shirt with shorts and yet she took my breath away.  Maybe my mom was right… I was jealous that she was spending time with Jiyong… Maybe the reason why I don’t think Jiyong’s good enough for her is because I want to be with her.  How could I be so stupid?  How could I not realize that I’m in love with my best friend?  You’re so stupid Donghae… Why didn’t you realize your feelings sooner.  It’s official… I, Lee Donghae, am in love with my best friend, Choi Minhee.
 
Minhee’s POV
 
I realized that Donghae wasn’t collecting shells with me.  I looked up and saw him staring at me.
 
“Is there something on my face?” I asked him.
 
“Huh? N-no.” He stuttered.
 
“Why are you stuttering?” I asked him.
 
“I’m not stuttering. You’re just hearing things.” He told me.
 
“Whatever. Are you going to help me or not?” I asked him.
 
“Coming.” He said and walked over to me.  He kneeled down and started helping me collect shells.
 
“Thank you.” I smiled at him.
 
We spent fifteen minutes collecting shells until he complained and said that he was tired.  We sat down on the sand and decided to just watch the waves.
 
“The view is still so pretty here.” He said.
 
“It is.”
 
“I wish that we could do this every day.” He told me.
 
My heart started to beat really fast when he said that.  You can’t do this Minhee… he doesn’t love you.
 
“Yeah but we can’t. Your fans will kill me.” I joked.
 
“I won’t let them hurt you.” He said seriously and my heart beated even faster.
 
What’s going on with you heart? You shouldn’t act like this.
 
“You’re stupid.” I told him and put my head on his shoulder.  I don’t know why but it felt right that he’s next to me.
 
After spending most of our day at the beach, Donghae decided to walk me home.  We were finally in front of my house.
 
“You should get going now.” I told him.
 
“Alright. Go in first.” He smiled at me.
 
“I’m already in front of my house. I won’t get kidnapped.” I rolled my eyes at him.
 
“I just want to make sure.” He said.
 
“You go first. Thank you for today. I had a lot of fun.” I smiled at him.
 
“I had fun too. Let’s hang out tomorrow too. My mom wants you to come over for dinner tomorrow night so be free.” He told me.
 
“Alright. I’ll tell my parents and you should come over for dinner the night after.” I told him.
 
“Alright then.” He smiled at me.
 
“Go first. Bye.” I waved at him.
 
“Bye Minhee.” He waved back and started walking away.
 
“Wait!” I called after him and ran towards me.
 
“What?” He asked me.
 
“I forgot something.” I told him.
 
“What?”
 
“This.” I said and kissed him on the cheek. “Bye Donghae.” I said and ran into my house.
 
What the hell… did I just kiss him?  First Jiyong and now him.  But why do I feel more nervous when it’s Donghae?  Does it mean that I still love him? But I can’t… he doesn’t love me.  Great. I just made things awkward between the two of us.  Sigh. Donghae why are you making it so hard for me to move on from you?