Chapter Twelve

Nostalgia

Chapter Twelve.


 So Ah. 

When you start to care about people, you want to know about them. And when they become important to you, you start to partake in their lives. You wanted to know how they are and how well they do each day.

Minseok sunbae has become important to me and ever since he started to befriend me. And now, he told me he has someone he likes, I started to feel very excited for him. But I never got the chance to know who it was because we got cut by a call from his Mom. Turns out, today’s his sister’s death anniversary and I’m hoping that everything will end well for him and that he’ll be okay. He never talked about his sister before which is why I got curious again. He’s my best friend after all.

“Dressed in black?” Se Ah says as she eats apple on the couch. I smile.

“It’s sunbae’s sister’s death anniversary today. I thought I pay him a visit.” I say putting on my shoes. “Everything okay last night?”

“Yeah, I’m good.”

“I see.” I tie the other shoe and stood up. “Wait, did you wash that apple? Dad said-“

“There might be chemical residues so wash the apple before biting on it. Yeah I did.”

I chuckle. Chanyeol appears down from his room. I laugh he still has bed hair and still in his PJs. “Don’t ask. A really bad person in the morning. It’s Saturday people, I have no class today. I’m free to do what I want.” He says even though we’re not saying anything. He opens his eyes looking at me from head to toe. “Are you going to a funeral?”

“A death anniversary. Minseok sunbae’s sister.” Se Ah answers for me.

“Oh,” Chanyeol mumbles then looks at Se Ah. “Shouldn’t we go too?”

“I’m in shorts Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol sighs. “Send us the address and we’ll catch up.”

I nod and headed out. I bought some fruits on the way on the hopes that they’re still needed. When I’m close to sunbae’s house, I texted him and right after I did, he called.

“YOU’RE HERE?!”

“Yeah, just a few blocks away.”

“Are you kidding me? Wait for me okay?”

“Alri-ght?” Before I can even finish what I’m saying he already hang up on me. He told me to wait at the intersection so I did. After a while, he arrives running. He stops in front of me chasing after his breath. “Are..you okay?”

“Yes, I.. am!” He stands straight looking at me. “You’re here!”

“Yes, I am..”

He chuckles. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

I smile and hand him the fruits that I bought. “I don’t know what to buy when you go to death anniversaries so..”

He smiles. “Just you being here is enough.” He pats my head. “Let’s go?”

I nod. I follow sunbae as he walks ahead of me and now that I look at him, he seemed to be fine. That’s a relief. I thought he wouldn’t be considering that it’s his sister’s death anniversary after all. We arrive their house and it seems like he’s not the only one in here. The door opens and he holds it for me. When I removed my shoes, a beautiful woman welcomed me.

“Oh hello! You must be?”

I chuckle. Is this really the usual way of how people start a conversation with strangers? “I’m So Ah. Ahn So Ah.”

“Oh! You’re that girl that Xiumin talks about a lot!” I tilt my head to the side. Xiumin? Do I know someone of that name? “Oh sorry! He must’ve not told you yet his nickname huh? We call him Xiumin. I’m his mother. Kim Xiao Mi.”

I shake her hand and she’s really beautiful. She’s like an angel to be exact. “We’re half chinese. Well, my sister and I to be exact. Mom’s from Beijing and my Dad’s Korean so..”

I gasp. “Why haven’t you told me that?!”

He chuckles handing me a pair of slippers. “You didn’t ask.”

I walk my way in and I scan the place, it does look much Chinese to me. “Ah, so how long have you been together? Is my boy a good boyfriend to you?”

“Um.. a what?”

“MOM! I told you already!”

“Oh my, then you’re not dating? I’m so sorry! You just look to good together! You’re so beautiful So Ah.”

I chuckle. “Thank you. But sunbae’s a good guy.”

She smiles. “Then is there a chance?”

____________________________________________________

 Minseok. 

I want to stop Mom from talking but I want to know what her answer will be. I told myself not to get my hopes up and not to care because it will hurt so bad if I don’t get the answer that I want and needed so much.

“Um, that..” she’s putting on that painful look again and I sigh. It’s him again. She still likes him huh? I get her though. You can’t just forget about someone that easily. Not when you love that person so much.

“So Ah, can you help me put up the table?” I cut and grab her pulling her away from Mom.

“Ah, yes.” We head to the living room and set up the table with all the food in there. I look at Haesoo’s photo and she’s so happy in it. I miss her so much. I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw So Ah holding me. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I will be. You’re here.” She smiles.

“That’s good. I’ll stay here until this day ends then.” She stands and takes the remaining food from the kitchen and placing them in the table.

Ah, I want her to stay beside me forever. If only she can do that, I’ll do my best not to make her cry and she’ll just smile.

“She’s pretty. She looks like your Mom.”

“Yeah, she looks just like her. But she got my Dad’s eyes so.”

“Oh right, you’re Dad-“

“I’m home!” The door shuts close and I stand seeing Dad. His eyes directed to So Ah and gasps. “Honey, is this finally the day we’re waiting for?”

“Good afternoon Mr. Kim.” So Ah greeted.

“Dad, she’s-“

He holds his hand up nodding. “I know. I approve already son. There’s no need to explain. She’s pretty. Our family will accept her even if she’s not chinese.”

“Wait, Dad! You-“

“So? What’s your name?”

“Um.. Ahn So Ah.”

I hear Mom chuckle and she’s watching in amusement. “I’m sorry to stop you dear but they’re not dating. She’s just a friend.”

I sigh. Dad looks at me then to So Ah. “Oh..” he said in disappointment. “Oh, I.. I’ll change my clothes. See you in a bit I guess..”

This is so embarrassing. My parents are embarrassing me in front of the girl that I like. “What is it about you that made then think that I’m your girlfriend?” She chuckles.

“Well.. I’ve made a leave of absence when Haesoo died two years ago. I actually didn’t go out for that span because I never got a courage too. I felt like I don’t deserve to be happy when my sister died and just this year, I finally pulled myself together and continued college so..”

She gives me a warm smile and pats my head. “That’s great Sunbae. It’s really great. I’m glad you went back because I might’ve not made it well on my first day at school without you there.” My heart is thumping crazily again and it’s because of her. “College is my first time going to school. I’ve been home schooled ever since because I have a weak hard and I’ve been waiting to get a heart donor like forever. But then miraculously, I had one and here I am.”

I smile. “Guess we’re fated to meet then.”

She stops and nods giving me a forced smile. “Yeah, I guess so..”

The doorbell rings and I wonder who that was because we didn’t invite anyone for today so I’m not expecting other guests. I stand and opened the door seeing Chanyeol and Se Ah.

“Hey!” Se Ah greeted. “We brought Soju.”

I chuckle letting them in. I eye So Ah and she smiles. She always knows how to keep me company.

“Good afternoon!” Se Ah and Chanyeol greeted Mom.

“Oh my! Are you So Ah’s twin?” Se Ah chuckles and nodded.

“Yes, but you can tell right? I’m with the short hair.”

Mom smiles nodding. “You’re pretty too.”

“Thanks.”

So Ah calls for Se Ah and we all helped in finishing the funeral preparations. Dad returns after changing his clothes and he bickered at how is it that So Ah’s not my girlfriend. As much as I wanted her to be, I can’t force her to something. After a while, we paid our respects to Haesoo with Mom and Dad, me and then the others respectively. After that, we all ate our lunch. Dad told me that we can eat at the living room so we did.

“I didn’t know you guys will be coming.” I say putting down my plate on the table.

“Why? Do you just want So Ah here?” Chanyeol says and I look at him. He chuckles and started eating. He knows that I like So Ah which is why he is teasing me.

“Oh yeah, how about the soju? I bought five!!” Se Ah exclaimed.

“We can drink that later Unnie.” I look at So Ah in surprise and she noticed. “What?”

“I didn’t know you’re a drinker.”

She laughs. “Am I not supposed to drink?”

“It’s not that.” I reply.

“She doesn’t drink much. Just nine glasses and she stops.”

So Ah looks at her sister with her eyebrows furrowed. “You counted?”

“I recorded. It’s a first when I saw you drink! It’s once in a lifetime event!”

I laugh at how cute these two were. I’m missing Haesoo because of this. So Ah turns to me and frowns. “Sunbae?”

“It’s nothing. I just remembered Haesoo. We used to bicker all the time at how I think she’s cute in pigtails. But when she’s in high school, she stopped wearing them. So I told her I loved seeing her in pigtails to she wears them when she’s at home for me to see.” My heart aches just be reminiscing the past. I love my sister a lot and I regret that I didn’t go with her that day when she said she’s going out to the convenience store.

“I can tell she loves you a lot Sunbae.” So Ah smiles and she’s giving me that assuring feeling that my sister is happy now at the afterlife.

****

We went back to my place for dinner because I don’t want Mom cooking for us and getting all tired because of that. Se Ah didn’t forget about the soju that she bought and we have pork and beef for grilling. Chanyeol helps me set the barbecue grill and I grab the meat with me.

“Oh god. I know it’s your sister’s anniversary but it just feels like it’s my birthday.” Se Ah says as she sets her sojus on the table. Chanyeol and I chuckle.

“When is your birthday anyway?”

“August 1st. You noticed that’s So Ah’s birthday too right?”

I laugh and set up the flame. “You sure those are still nine? I think you’re drunk already.”

So Ah chuckles and places the plates on the table. “Why are those five? We’re just four So.”

“Oh, right.. haha! Silly me..” So Ah takes the excess plate and brings it back to the kitchen. She must’ve placed one for Baekhyun. I went to the kitchen to grab the tong and saw her staring at the sink.

“Hey, you okay?” She turns and nodded. “Sure?”

She smiles. “Sure.”

We headed back to the table and started grilling. I was really amazed at how big Se Ah’s appetite is because trust me, your jaws will drop after you see her munch almost half of the meat that we bought. Oh by the way, she’s already at her second bottle. I lost count at how many glasses she’s consumed.

“I saw Unnie ate lunch earlier. You both saw it too right?”

“Yeah.” I reply as we continue to watch her.

“She eats and drinks a lot when she’s in the mood so..” Chanyeol added.

“I can’t believe that mood of hers.”

The night continues and we all shared funny, touching and embarrassing stories with each other. I found out how So Ah’s weak back then and that she got a heart transplant, how Se Ah and Chanyeol stopped for a year just to be with So Ah because they thought that last year will be her final year. I’m so thankful for the heart donor because whoever that person was, that person was really a blessing for making So Ah laugh and continue on with life like this.

“Okay, she’s drunk.” Chanyeol mumbles as Se Ah stands on the chair.

I chuckle. “Why don’t you guys sleep over tonight? I have an extra room anyway. They both can sleep at that room and you can stay at mine.”

Chanyeol smiles. “We’d appreciate that.” I nod. He walks over to Se Ah’s direction and carried her.

“Chan... I have to sing the second verse!”

“Yeah, yeah. Go on.” Chanyeol replied and I laugh as I watch him take her to the room. I hear the door close and I turn to So Ah. She’s resting her head on her hand as she stares from afar and her cheeks are red. I think she’s drunk too.

“So Ah?”

“Sunbae.”

“Yeah?”

“Can I just talk right now? Because I have a lot to let out.” I nod and she sighs heavily. “I hate it that I don’t understand how he feels. He told me not to wait but he looks at me like he wanted to.” She chugs a glass of soju then pours another. “I told him that I like him a lot but he didn’t even said a thing.” She groans and pours another glass. “Then... he told me he was really glad to see me.. that he was thankful that I’m alive..” her voice is starting to get shaky and I don’t like it. She pours another glass and she exceeded her limit. I’ve been counting. “But... when I asked if his heart beats for my sister.. he says that it still does.. I hate those two words.. still and does.. I just hate it but I can’t show it... I’m bad at hating people!” She now crying but she’s still drinking.

I stand from where I am and walked across grabbing the bottle from her. I hold her shoulders making her look at me but she’s drunk and her eyes are deceiving her. “Let’s go and get you to bed.” I say and I carry her.

“Water... I want water..” she mumbles as she holds on to me. I walk to the kitchen and let her sit on the counter as I pour her a glass. I walk back to her and hand her the water. She chugs the whole thing down with her eyes closed. I grab the glass back and placed it on the sink then walked back to her. I froze when her hand held my cheek and she stares. “Stupid..”

“E..Excuse me?”

“I hate you Baekhyun...” she mumbles. “You can’t even kiss me.. you told me you can’t.. but I want to...”

I had enough of this. I don’t like seeing her be miserable just because of a guy who can’t even decide who it really is that he likes when they’re both complete opposites. I look at her eyes and stare.

“You really want me to kiss you?” She nods. I lean close and placed my lips on hers. My hand trails to her back and the other placing her arms around my neck. Her lips are so soft that it felt good against mine. She gasps in between our kisses and I give her time for some air and I kiss her again. I love her so much. I kiss her even though she thinks that I’m Baekhyun. I don’t even think about if she’ll remember this tomorrow. I can’t worry about the future. All I care about is the present.


Hello everyone! We're almost at the end of the story T.T but!! I hope y'all would continue liking it ^^ love ypu all and till the next chapter ^^

- Cheonsabyul <3