Free Wi-fi

One letter "U"

 

                          

-Ryu-

I heard the bell but I didn't react fast enough, I was rushing, by the time I noticed him, he was already so close to me. He pressed the break and swirved. I saw as he handled the bike and prevent himself from falling together with his bike. 

"Oh my god. Are you o..." I rushed towards him, failing to see the gap between the platform right in front of my foot. The next thing I knew, I was flying for a good second before landing hard on the ground.

I stayed frozen in that position, all fours. The pain was there, all over, but nothing beats the embarassment that came over me. 

"Are you okay?" the voice asked.

I counted back in my head. 3... 2...1. I looked up. 

His face was so near to mine. He was crouching right in front of me, the bike is now on the ground, abandoned. 

"Are you hurt anywhere?" 

I shifted my position, now sitting on my , still on the ground. Assessing the source of pain, I found scratches all over my palm and perhaps also my knees. 

"Just my pride." I answered him. 

He chuckled, and it sounded so good to my ear. 

"I literally used my whole body to prevent from crashing into you, but you still managed to get hurt somehow." he shook his head, still with a smile on his hand, reaching out to hold my arm and helped me get up. 

"Sorry." 

"No, please. Don't be sorry. You're the one who is hurt."

"due to my own clumsiness." I rolled my eyes. "Anyways, sorry again for not paying more attention." 

He shook his head and smiled, "You sure you're okay?" 

"Yeah. I'm perfect." I swatted dust and gravels and whatnot off my jeans. 

"Ok, then." He bent down to pick my stuff from the ground and carefully passed them to me. "Here."

"Thanks."

He looked at me for a long seconds, as if trying to decide on something. But after that, he simply said "see you around." and then walked away, get back on his bike, and continued his journey. 

I had to, too, Continued my journey. It's ironic how sometimes accident happen just a few steps away from your destination, how sometimes things can happen last minute and change your whole plan. 

Ok, I was being dramatic there.

I opened the door and was welcomed by a familiar voice  

"Hi Ryu! you're a bit late today." the man behind the counter stretched his neck out to greeted me. He waved his hand frantically. As cheerful as always. "The usual?" 

"Yes, please." I waved back at him and rushed to my 'usual' seat. 

I placed my laptop, earphone and mobile phone on the table, next to each other, as if I was a surgeon preparing for a surgery. Time showed a little after 7 in the evening. It should be around noon there and we were supposed to duringduring lun, so it should be just about the right time

While waiting for the laptop to turn on, I took out my pocket mirror and check my reflection.  

Hair looks... good. Mascara... intact. Lips... oh lip gloss lip gloss, where is it. I grabbed my lip gloss, swiped it across my lips and shoved it back inside my bag. OK. Done.

Once everything is ready, I took one long breath and tucked my hair behind my ears. 

I pressed call and I waited.

I waited... 

and I waited more. 

The video call was hung up by the application because the other person never pick up the call. 

Again. 

I tried again, but the same result.

I sighed. This is not the first time he missed our call, our scheduled call. We used to be so excited for our call, always early and ready. I wonder if it's the distance, the timing... or is it our heart.  

There it goes, me and my dreadful negative thoughts, again. 

I let out a long breath, hoping the negative thoughts will leave together with it. 

Some said that love brings the best out of someone, but I feel like it gets the worst of me.