A million questions

One letter "U"

-Ryu-

--PAST---

 

"What are you doing here?" 

I looked up, Sunggyu was towering over me, standing with both hands on his hips. 

"Eating." I returned my attention to the food in front of me. "You have amazing curly fries, do you know that?" 

He sighed and reached for the chair on the other side of my table. Despite the sigh, he asked me a question with an unusually gentle tone, "What's wrong?" 

"Nothing." I stuffed my mouth with the fries. "Why?" 

He just looked at me with eyes full of understanding. It was if he knew what was going on, as if he knew something was wrong.  He didn't ask further, he just sat there silently. For the first time, I have nothing to say to him. For the first time, I can't feel the happiness even with him next to me.

For the first time, I don't know how to feel anything at all... but pain. 

"Sunggyu..."

He didnt reply, simply turned his head to look at me.

"Can I kiss you?"

His small eyes widened upon hearing my question, but he quickly adjusted. He leaned forward and flicked my forehead.

"Aww!" I rubbed the painful spot.

"Go home. High school student shouldn't be hanging out in this place at this hour."

"Shall we go somewhere else instead, then?" I lighted up, hoping he will be kind to me today, just today...

"No." He got up from his chair.

I sighed.

To my surprise, he didn't walk away. Instead he took out a card from his pocket.

"If you are going to act like this, i am going to leave." He put the card on the table, "but if you need a help, call me."

I snatched the card fast like a cat catching a mouse.

"But only when it's urgent,okay? Dont abuse it." He flicked me in the forehead, again. 

This time he walked away, without looking back, as always.

I picked up my phone and quickly saved his number, before he changed his mind. I have been begging for his number from my mom, but my mom chose to respect his request not to give it to me.

Beep beep.

Incoming message

Where are you? Come home please. He left. 

I stared at the message from my mom.

"Let's go."

I looked up. Sunggyu was standing in front of me, wearing jacket and a hat, as if he was going out.

"Are we going somewhere??" I jumped and linked my arm with his.

He pulled away, "I'll walk you home. It's late."

Home...

"In that case, you dont have to. I can go back by myself." I grabbed my bag and started to take my leave when he blocked my way with his body.

"It's not safe to go alone." 

"Aigoo, dont worry, it is not my first time out at this hour." I pushed pass him and walked out of the cafe. Within seconds he was already walking next to me.

"I thought you are a good student. Do you do this a lot?" He frowned.

"It's not what you think." I laughed, "I usually study at a cafe until late." 

"Why dont you study at home?"

I shrugged. 

"What about your parents? Do they know that you are not home at this hour?"

I shrugged

"Are your they home now?"

Questions... Questions... Questions....

"Ah actually Sunggyu, i forgot I had to do something." I turned around and ran, away from him and his questions, as fast and as far as possible.

"Ryu!!"

I could hear him calling for my name repeatedly, but his voice and its echoes soon vanished as I escaped further and further away from him. I finally stopped after what felt like hours of running. I sat down on the sidewalk, trying to catch my breath.

"Are you done running?"

I looked up abruptly. Sunggyu was standing in front of me, as calm and as cool as the evening. Here I was running out of breath and he doesn't look like he even sweat a drop, despite having been chasing me.

"If you dont want me to ask questions, you can just tell me to stop. Dont run away like that again, especially now, it's not safe."

Embarrassed, i could only hide my face between my knees. 

"Come on, let's go. I promise i wont wont ask you anymore questions."

I slowly got up and followed him, keeping a distance one step behind, and the whole time he kept his promise, he didn't ask me anymore questions.

 

*****************************************