That day come

One letter "U"

MIJOO

---PAST---

 

"So? what do you think?" Sungyeol asked while taking one big bite of his corndog. 

"I guess we can take it. If we want to have two units right next to us, that leaves us with just this one." I said, sipping on my ice chocolate. 

"Yeah. It's quite far from your parents' house though. Are you okay with that?" he asked.

I shrugged, "You know me and my parents, distance makes our hearts grow fonder." I replied nonchalantly.

He laughed, "Okay, then. It's settled. I will tell him." he took out his phone and started dialling our realtor's number. 

"Wait." I stopped him by placing my hand on his, "Are we really sure about this?"

Sungyeol turned his head and looked at me, "It's been a year since we've broken up, and we're doing fine."

"Yes, but neither one of us has been dating since then."

"Are you planning to date someone?" he asked curiously.

"Well, I should hope so, I don't want to stay single forever." 

Sungyeol laughed for one second before saying this in a serious face, "Well, I don't have any intentions to date, not for a long time, so you don't have to worry about that." 

"What if I meet someone?"

"If you meet someone, I will wish you and him all the happiness in the world." he patted my head like I was a little child.

"Ok, fine. But remember, I have already warned you." 

That was the day when we decided to live next to each other in the same building. It was probably both the best and the worst decision we have ever made, or maybe just the worst decision we have ever made. 

Despite making declaration to me that he wouldn't date anyone, not for a long time anyway. The truth was, it didn't take long after we moved in before that day come. The day when he fell for someone.

"Sungyeol!" I called out when I saw him walking across the street. He ran towards me the moment he saw me, "come and carry this watermelon"

Sungyeol took the watermelon from my hand, "nice. did you parents give this to you?" 

"Yes, and many side dishes too, for you." I showed him the bag that I was carrying.

"Awesome! I will call your mom to thank her." 

"Not necessary, I can do that for you." I waved my hand dismissively. 

"No, I should do it myself." 

"Fine." I replied indifferently, trying to hide my pleased feeling. I have always loved the relationship Sungyeol has with my parents. He has always been very polite and considerate towards them. In fact, it was one of the reason why I fell so hard for him. 

"Watch out!" someone shouted nearby. 

A women riding a bicycle was charging towards us, swerving right and left as she goes. Sungyeol grabbed me and pulled me out of danger, dropping the watermelon in the process. He let go of my hand and jumped to help stopped the -what seemed to be- uncontrollable bicycle. The women was falling to the side due to the sudden break of her bicycle but Sungyeol was also quick to catch her before she hit the floor. 

"Are you okay?" Sungyeol asked her once everything stopped moving and no one is falling. He helped her to stand firmly on both feet.

"I'm okay." She laughed shyly while patting her pants off the -invisible- dusts. "So sorry. I could've hurt you just now. Something is wrong with my bicycle. I think the break was not working."

"Let me see." Sungyeol started inspecting her bike. Only then did I realise I have been standing there on the side, without saying a word. Only then, did she also notice my presence. 

"Are you okay?" she asked me in a gentle yet urgent way, "I am so sorry. I should have tried to stop earlier but I couldn't control it. Are you hurt anywhere?" 

"I'm okay." 

"Your break cable is detached." Sungyeol said, catching the women's attention. "We should take it to the repair shop. I will help you." 

"Ah, it's ok don't worry, I can do that myself." the women said while trying to take over her bicycle.

"Let's go. I know shop nearby." Sungyeol said, ignoring the woman's refusal of his help. "Mijoo, are you coming?" he turned to me.

"I should put this in the fridge, so..." I said, trailing, while referring to the side dish in my bag.

"Ok, I will see you later." 

I watched as Sungyeol pushed the bike on his side and the women timidly followed while still trying to take her bicycle back. 

There you go, Sungyeol and his indiscriminate kindness, even towards stranger. It was nothing surprising or unusual, but somehow I had a very funny feeling in my stomach, and not in a good way. 

I stood still, continued watching as they both walked side by side with only the bicycle separating the two. Though they don't know each other, but the pair looks so good together. 

I had a very bad feeling... very very bad feeling.   

 

**********************************