A Cup of Earl Grey Latte

One letter "U"

                             

 

-Kei-

I took a sip on my cup of earl grey latte. My favorite kind of cup of tea. I just finished the last page of the book I'm currently reading. I have another one in my bag, always have it ready. I can't be without my book. I don't have a phone, not really anyway. Dad bought me one last year but I barely use it, most of the times they are -purposely- forgotten and left at home. I prefer spending my time by reading, especially romance books.  

I love being in love. Not that I have ever been in one. I just love the idea of being in love. Going on a date, holding hands, sharing the same cone of ice cream, kiss under the rain, fight under the rain.

Today is different though, I wish I had my phone with me. Who made an appointment but not bringing her phone, anyway? what was I thinking?  

"Excuse me." 

I looked up and saw the most beautiful human being standing in front of me. Startled, I abruptly got up from my seat. 

"Hello!" I reached my hand out, "I mean Hi. I'm Kei. You're late. No, you're not late. I'm early. It's ok. Don't worry. I'm always early, especially on a blind date. I like to give good first impression, and I think being late is a bad impression." 

Shut your mouth Kei, shut it now. So I did. 

He was stunned, just standing still there without saying anything. 

I can't stop thinking about that word. 'beautiful'. He is beautiful all over. His eyes, his nose, his jawline. Even the way he wore his clothes, as plain as it is, they look really good on him. 

His lips was slowly raised and a faint dimple was showing as he did so. But it didn't stop there. The smile continue and almost turned into a laugh. He slapped his hand against his mouth as if trying to push the laughter back in. 

"Sorry." he forced a cough, clearing his throat, probably trying to wash away the laugh.  "I just wanted to..." he touched the chair across mine, hesitated to continue. "...ask if I can borrow this chair."

I looked at him and the chair that he was now holding. Something pulled me to shift my gaze to a group of people behind him. Four people sitting on a four seats table. They were watching us with a weird look on their face.

He followed my gaze. He waved his hand dismissively towards them and the four people quickly looked away. 

That's when I figured it out.

Four people sitting on a four seats table... him holding on to the empty chair in front of me. He wasn't my blind date, he just wanted to ask if he can take the empty chair for him to sit down with his friends. 

Stupid Kei!! 

"Ah, you can take it." I walked over and -unnecessarily- helped him get the chair out of the table. Once I was done with that, I walked back to my side. "I'm leaving anyway." I grabbed my book and my bag, getting ready to flee, as far away as possible.

"Wait." He blocked my way. 

I looked up at him, holding my bag in front of me, between my body and his, as if it could protect me from any further embarassment. 

"You don't have to go." He said. "You're waiting for someone, right?"

I shook my head and pushed him aside with my small body, just barely managed to get my way out. I left and never look back. I walked so fast and so far, as if I was running away from him. That couldn't be the case, because it's not like he was chasing me. 

I wanted him to, though, but he didn't. They never did. They always walk away like it was very easy to do so, like it was very easy to say goodbye to me.