The supporting character

One letter "U"

-Kei-

 

"Oh, what's that??" Jangjun gasped while pointing towards something behind me.

I turned around but i saw nothing of unusual. When i turned back my head, i felt a finger poking my left cheek. It kinda hurt but at the same time, it made my heart beat fast

"I got you! Again!" He laughed out loud. There is something about the way he laugh, as if it is the funniest thing ever.

I held my cheek and prayed that my face didn't show what i feel.

"Anyway, good morning, boss!" He winked and walked away.

I put my bag on my usual table. There is a 'reserved' sign on it, and I chuckled. Every time it's Jangjun's shift, he would put that sign so the table becomes available for me when I come. I told him it's unnecessary, but he still did it anyway. One time he even got scolded by Myungsoo for doing it. "All table should be opened for walk-in customer, we dont do reservation, no exception." 

I opened my book in front of me, but i couldn't finish reading even one paragraph. Everytime I heard his voice, I would automatically turned and look for him. 

Jangjun was serving a table and it seemed like the girls  were waiting for him, because one of them took out a chocolate box and passed it to him. I cant hear what they were saying, but even though Jangjun rejected the chocolate, they were all laughing.

"You really like him, don't you?" A familiar voice spoke near me.

When I turned, Y's face was right next to mine. He was sitting on a chair next to me.

"Y!" I jumped backward, "you scared me. When did you get here?"

"A while."  He tapped his finger against the cup on the table. The coffee inside was half drank. 

"I didn't notice."

"It's amazing how sometimes, when you focus on one thing, you are completely oblivious to everything else." 

I looked down. I am not sure why, but I feel sorry and embarrassed.

"Hey." He patted my head, "it's a compliment. When you like something, you commit to it, you give the best for it. Sometimes it makes me wonder what it's like, if I were the one you are focusing on."

I blushed.

He chuckled.

"Yooo!" Jangjun hopped and suddenly he was in front of our table. "Wassup."

Y waved his hand dismissively, "no talking to customer when you are working."

"I am here to take your order." Jangjun replied in a singing voice, as if moking Y.

"I have ordered already." Y lifted his cup to show it to Jangjun.

"Well then, do you want anything else?"

"No, thank you." Y smiled, though it looks anything but friendly. "Now, go."

Jangjun turned to me and smiled.

I blushed, again. 

He bent down and whispered next to my ear, "let's eat your favourite jokbal after i am done."

Before I could reply, his face was pushed aside by Y's hand, "go, that customer is calling for you."

I watched as Jangjun skipped his way to the customer's table. I couldn't help but to smile at the sight. 

"Do you like him that much?"

I turned my head towards Y, rather dramatically. I was shocked by his question. "What? Who said anything about liking him? I dont like him, i mean i do like him, but not in that way. What are you talking about?" I sputtered, out of control.

Y rested his cheek on his fist, tilting his head slightly while giving me a soft smile, "you are the worst liar i have ever known."

I shut my lips tight. Oh, what's the point. If i continued trying to hide it, i will just embarrassed myself further.

"So... Since when?" He asked. 

I shrugged, "it just happened slowly. Before i knew it, i couldn't get him out of my head."

"Why him?"

I shrugged, "i dont know. There is just something about him that makes me... Happy? Whenever i am around him."

"What about me?"

"What about you?" I returned the question.

He chuckled, "I am sure you know how I feel about you, i was never discreet about it."

I do know and yes he has always made it obvious to me that he likes me. He would come whenever he is free, and send me back home, even if Jangjun is available to do it. He calls me almost everyday to ask about my day, occasionally asking me out for a meal. Those were just to mention a few.

Y placed his hand on the table, almost mindlessly, but at the same time, it felt like it wanted to reach out to me, even though he never did. 

"If we were in a movie... Which one do you think I am? the main male character, or the supporting role?"

I couldn't answer that question. All i could think about is how I wish I were not the main female character. 

"I mean, of course right now it looks like i am the later, but there are times when the main female character changes her mind in the end, right?"

"I..." Dont know what to say..

"It's ok. You don't have to say anything. I am very stubborn." He continued without waiting for my answer, "until you are very sure, I will keep trying. That's why, all I ask from you... Is to let me be by your side."

It would be a big, fat, lie, if I said I wasnt even a little touched by it. I took a glance at Jangjun. He was talking to another customer, giving her the same smile that he always give to me.

Y is not like that. He doesn't pay attention to any other girls. In that way, he makes me feel special. Maybe if I were in love with Y instead, I would be...

Wait... What am I thinking? How can I even consider it so easily like that? What does this mean? Do I like Jangjun or Y? 

 

                                         *****************