Couple’s fight

Do you love me?

SinB goes to the room she shared with Umji and Yuju once Sowon and Eunha ordered the foods to Umji who is with Handyman Oppa. The two are going to the town to get some food. She was surprised that Handyman Oppa came all the way here to visit them, without even telling her about it. They weren’t on speaking terms after the argument about meeting SinB alone last week. The older woman has been texting her the routine good morning and good night messages, along with a few notifications of her whereabouts, nothing more. They didn’t exchange texts asking each other’s days or talk about random and trivial things like usual. Only a few texts of formality.

SinB didn’t plan to continue being sullen about the argument but couldn’t help it since Handyman Oppa didn’t bother to show up to the BBQ place that night or even told her she wasn’t going to join them. Sure she wasn’t the one inviting her, Yuju did. But, the woman usually will at least let her know as well if she can’t make it. She was getting her hopes up waiting for Handyman Oppa that night only to find out that she is not coming when they already ordered the food because Yuju forgot to tell the rest of the group except Sowon.

She grunts at the thought of the older woman being childish, but then smiles when she looks at the ring on her finger. She twirls the ring couple of rounds before taking it off and stares at it again. 

”Why are you taking it off?” Yerin who appears out of nowhere asks in a slightly angry tone, startling SinB.

Yerin takes the ring from her and slides it back in her ring finger. SinB stares at Yerin with furrowed brows. She waits for the older girl to say something but Yerin just stares back at her.

”What is the matter with you, unnie?” SinB asks, tired of the staring contest.

”Yerin. We are together now, you can call me by name. Why are you taking off the ring? Is it because of oppa is coming?” Yerin asks, still not letting go of her grips on SinB’s hands.

”Okay, Yerin. What’s oppa got to do with me taking off the ring? I’m going to put it back in the box. Why?” SinB was taken aback by Yerin not so nice question which sounded more like an accusation causing her voice to be on a harsher spectrum.

”I gave you that ring. I proposed to you and you already said yes. So, you are my girlfriend now. Did you take off the ring because oppa is coming? You don’t want oppa to see it?” Yerin going full blast with her accusation.

SinB just stares coldly at Yerin. The older girl has been doing great at pressing the right button for SinB these past few months. And tonight, Yerin just achieved a new milestone. Yerin is doing a superb job at infuriating SinB. Being showered with love and attention is a good thing and SinB loves it when Yerin did that. However, being possessive is a tad over the line for SinB. She clenched her teeth, taking a deep breath and let it out slowly to calm herself down. If only she is not on her period today, she could calm down easier but this cramps in her abdomen are not helping.

”Am I not your girlfriend anymore when I don’t wear the ring? Did you see Eunha unnie wears her ring all the time? And so now I’m your girlfriend, you gave me the ring and I’m your property? Is that what the ring is for? Marking me as your property. We haven’t told anyone about us yet, that’s the reason I’m taking off this ring. Would you like people asking me about the ring and risk being overheard by the staffs? Did you really not see there are dozens of people that we are barely acquainted with? I’m sure I don’t like being kept as a possession, and I am sure that I love you. So, please be reasonable.” SinB utters every word clearly while clenching her teeth. 

She gently removes Yerin’s hand and takes off the ring before putting it in her pocket. She has been taking the ring with her everywhere since Yerin gave it to her. Sometimes she puts it in the box and carries it in her bag, sometimes she just slides it in her pocket. She likes to touch and fiddles with it when she slips her hand in the pocket. She never wears it though because she wants Yerin to be the one putting it on for her first. And tonight, Yerin finally did but SinB never thought the ring could be the reason they are fighting and surely having a fight on the very same night never crossed her mind. But then, it just did. SinB forced a smile before leaving Yerin alone in the room.

Yerin blinks her eyes rapidly, still trying to get a grasp of what happened. Yerin tries to relive the moment. And seeing she is all alone in the room, questions and various feelings bombarded her. Did she and SinB just had their first fight as a couple? Yerin’s cheeks blushed, feeling happy about it. Awww. A couple’s fight. They had arguments and fights before this, but this is the first fight since ages and they are fighting as a couple, not as friends.

However, the happiness is only short-lived when it clicks in her mind that she and SinB is fighting not more than an hour after they officially became girlfriends. Cold sweat forms on Yerin’s forehead worrying about what is going to happen between her and SinB. SinB’s words ringing in her ears. She questions herself.

Was she being possessive? Was it wrong of her to ask her girlfriend why is she taking off the ring that symbolises their relationship?

***

”Look who decided to take off the diaper and wears her grown-up pants and finally shows up!” jeered SinB when Handyman Oppa and Umji enter the house their company rented for them to stay while shooting the Love Whisper music video.

Handyman Oppa’s face changes, her lips that are already curled halfway going to form a smile as soon as her eyes lay on SinB’s face that she had longed for, instantly stop moving. At the same time, her phone buzzes, so she slips her hand in her pocket for her phone and halts her movement when SinB yelled at her, ”don’t you dare check the period calendar you set for me in your phone!”. 

”Uhhh food! Let’s eat,” exclaimed Sowon as she takes the plastic bag from Umji and brings it to the dining table trying to get away from the tension.

Everyone in the house could feel the tension between SinB and Handyman Oppa. They all follow Sowon to the dining area and keep themselves busy unpacking the food. Handyman Oppa also follows the girls to the dining area without saying anything, leaving SinB alone. She helps with unpacking the food in the plastic she is holding, pretending like nothing is wrong while praying that SinB is not going to continue the fight.

”Oppa, I thought you got lost earlier when I sent you to get Yerin and SinB in the backyard,” Eunha chuckles awkwardly, followed by Sowon.

”Yeah, I thought you are worse than Yuju if you did.”

Yuju pouts her lips but then laugh along with Sowon, Eunha and Umji. Handyman Oppa laughs as well before explaining to the girls what happened, ”I didn’t. I spotted them but then I had to take a call. My friend has been calling me all day, so I took the call. Sorry.”

”Huh. Must be oppa’s girlfriend then that she had to take the call,” SinB said, emphasising the word ’had’, clearly showing that she is not done with Handyman Oppa.

”Well...she is a girl. My friend from Japan. She called to tell me that she’s coming here with her wife next week,” Handyman Oppa responded without looking at SinB who is already standing next to her. Handyman Oppa’s mind, heart and body are in discordant. She wanted to retort, but she loves SinB too much that she doesn’t want to prolong the fight but she still couldn’t fully pretend she is okay to be all smiley with SinB because of what she had witnessed earlier.

”Oh? Sachiko-sama? Uhh... I miss that little guy,” Eunha smiles cutely and both Umji and Yuju also nod their head in agreement.

”Uhh. No. Sei and her wife, Youko. Not sure if Sachiko is coming as well, probably not. He misses you girls too and asked me when can he meet you girls again. Well, I told him he should just turn on the TV or watch your videos on Youtube. After all, that’s what I did,” Handyman Oppa said as she joins Umji at the kitchen to get some plates and spoon. She is also surprised by her last sentence, seems like has decided to retaliate but in the most subtle way. At least that what she thought, but SinB picked it up just fine and responded back.

”Oh? So you watch videos of us online? Videos where ALL SIX of us are in them?” SinB savagely asks with a lot of emphasis put on the word ’six’.

”Well, it’s not like I can summon someone and she will appear in front me,” Handyman Oppa responded, going full blast in the argument. She gets back to the dining table with some plates and spoon in one hand and a bottle of water in another while Umji is carrying glasses in both hands.

”Keep watching then!” SinB responded irately.

Sowon pressed her lips together. She sighs frustratedly watching SinB and Handyman Oppa getting heated up. She needs to stop this at all cost or it’s going to get worse.

”C’mon, let’s eat. I don’t want my jjampong gets all soggy,” Sowon exclaimed and takes a seat and when Umji stares at her with a puzzled look, she grins at the maknae, ”I’m craving for some, and oppa said she will share them with me, so I asked her to get one.” Umji just shakes her head and smiles at the oldest girl in her group, while SinB just scoffs.

Handyman Oppa knows that SinB was directing it to her but chooses not to retort. She saw the look on everyone’s face, clearly that the girls are starting to get uncomfortable with her sarcastic exchange with SinB that is heating up the mood. She calms herself down and decides to let everyone eat in peace.

Handyman Oppa pulls out the chair on her left where SinB at for the girl before sitting on the chair on her right. SinB sits down on the chair Handyman Oppa pulled for her. Then, Handyman Oppa takes a plate from the middle of the table and put it in front of SinB. The woman then takes off the lid of one of the bowl containing the jjajangmyeon and beginning to mix the noodles and the black bean sauce before scopping some of it onto the plate that she just put in front of SinB. Handyman Oppa takes one of the disposable chopsticks that the restaurant gave, split them apart and places them next to SinB’s plate without uttering a word. 

Handyman Oppa then opens the lid of her bibimbap and starts mixing the rice. Everyone also starts eating and thanks to Eunha and Sowon, the awkward silence wasn’t as awkward. The two keeps talking about what they did on their first day of shooting. Handyman Oppa listens attentively, nodded her head and smiles at them but didn’t say anything. Yuju and Umji also shared some funny things that happened and it lit up the mood when everyone laughs except Handyman Oppa and SinB who eat silently. Handyman Oppa eats her bibimbap and while eating the mixed rice she takes a bit of the sweet and sour chicken. She also picks up a few of the sweet and sour chicken and put them on SinB’s plate without even saying anything nor look at the girl. 

From the corner of her eyes, Handyman Oppa could see there are blackish stain on SinB’s face. So, she takes a tissue and wipes the stain from the black bean sauce at the corner of SinB’s lips without saying anything before putting the tissue next to SinB’s plate and continue eating in silence.

”Oppa, I want some of your bibimbap. May I?” Eunha who sits opposite of Handyman Oppa asks cutely, probably craving for some as the woman seems to be enjoying the food that looks appetising.

”Sure,” the older woman said smiling at Eunha. SinB just side-glaring Handyman Oppa while shoving the last mouthful of noodles in .

Handyman Oppa aware of the glare and she knows the meaning behind SinB’s glare that she had become accustomed to whenever she eats with SinB and the girls. At first SinB used to just glares at her without telling why, but then Handyman Oppa figured that the girl probably is not fond of the indirect touching of her lips with the other girls. She never confirms it verbally, but whenever she did what she did, SinB looks relieved and contented. So, she does the same. Without a word, Handyman Oppa scoops a spoonful of the mixed rice and places the spoon on SinB’s plate. SinB takes the spoon and brings it to , eating the spoonful rice before putting the spoon back down.

Following that, Handyman Oppa takes the spoon and pass the spoon and slides the bowl filled with bibimbap to Eunha. She smiles warmly at Eunha when the girl eats the rice and exclaimed with happiness. The bowl goes around the table before finding its way back to Handyman Oppa and the woman doesn’t seem to mind as she busily shoving the sweet and sour chicken into .

While waiting for her bowl of rice to come back to her, Handyman Oppa reached for the plastic glove that the restaurant gave and blows softly at its opening before handing it to SinB who takes it and wears the glove. Handyman Oppa then pulls the box filled with dakbal closer to SinB and the girl takes one and starts eating. The two didn’t exchange a single word since they start eating. As SinB devouring the spicy chicken feet, Handyman Oppa pours the water into a glass and place it near SinB’s plate. After finishing her first piece of dakbal, SinB gulps down the water that Handyman Oppa had poured for her. Still, they haven’t exchanged a single word with each other.

“Umji-ah, you are the smartest one among us. The two are still fighting, aren’t they?” Sowon whispers to Umji who is now standing next to her, slurping the noodle in the spicy seafood soup she secretly orders to Handyman Oppa earlier.

”Very much so,” Umji nods her head a bit after looking up and glances at the end of the table where SinB and Handyman Oppa are sitting next to each other, eating silently.

”Then why is oppa doing all those things for SinB?” Sowon asks, trying to be as discreet as she can be but they are audible, as Eunha who sits next to her and Yerin who now sitting next to the standing Umji look at her.

”That’s just oppa. She is just like that. She still cares for people even if they are fighting with each other,” responded Umji. Sowon and Eunha both nod their head but for a different reason. Sowon nods her head showing her understanding while Eunha nods her head seconding Handyman Oppa’s act.

”But why?” Sowon asks, still cannot fully fathom the reason behind Handyman Oppa’s action and this time Yerin nods her head enthusiastically, agreeing with the older girl.

”You should do that to your loved ones. Do you think just because we are fighting, we should stop caring and loving each other? You should do that too, you know? You always ignore me when we had an argument,” complaints Eunha, causing Sowon to stares at Handyman Oppa and SinB. Eunha’s word also stings Yerin and the girl follows what Sowon is doing but not with quizzical stares but with a mixed of guilty and jealousy.

The bowl that now only contains less than a third of the mixed rice finally comes back to its owner. Handyman Oppa smiles as she looks at the amount of rice that is left. She then slides the bowl in front of SinB after she moved the box of dakbal to the centre of the table when she saw from the corner of her eyes that SinB is taking the glove off. The younger girl takes the spoon and begins eating the rice for couple of mouthfuls before sliding it back to Handyman Oppa.

”Is oppa in love with SinB? Are they dating?” Sowon suddenly asks after staring at the two people at the the other end of the dining table.

”No!” exclaimed Yerin, startling Sowon who had been trying to keep their conversation as quiet as possible. Sowon glares at Yerin who then just shouts the same word for another two times, causing Sowon to yank her arm which stops her streaks of frenzy screaming.

”SinB is my girlfriend! We are the one dating!” Yerin shouted in her mind.

”Chill, Yerin-ah. We heard you the first time. We believe you. Don’t need to shout.” Sowon half-screamed in Yerin’s ear.

”Huh? Are you girls okay?” Handyman Oppa asks, finally talking after being silent for the past twenty minutes, while Yuju and SinB shoots a questioning and concerned look at Yerin.

”Ahh. Nothing, oppa. It’s okay. I asked Yerin if she wants some jjampong before giving it to you,” Sowon smiles awkwardly, lying through her teeth.

”You don’t have to give me some, you can eat them all. It’s fine,” Handyman Oppa smiles reassuringly.

”No-no. The girls are done eating them. We got a lot of other foods to eat. Over to you, oppa.” Sowon smiles as she slides the bowl to Handyman Oppa and pulls the box of dakbal closer, in exchange for the jjampong. The older shrugs her shoulder and smiles before taking the bowl and sliding it in front of SinB, just like before. SinB slurps on the noodle once and passes the bowl back to Handyman Oppa who proceeds to finish the spicy seafood noodle soup. 

Everyone exclaims in satisfaction when they finished eating. There are still some dakbal and sweet and sour chicken left that they couldn’t eat more. Sowon put the lid back on the containers and stores them in the fridge. Handyman Oppa gathers the dirty plates and brings them to the sink and starts washing them. She just hums, responding to Umji’s suggestion of watching a movie after she is done with the dishes. The girls are busy choosing the movie in the living room and Handyman Oppa just continue her chore in silent. There are two-panel window in front of the kitchen sink with the view of the backyard, the one where Handyman Oppa saw Yerin and SinB earlier. The woman’s mind wanders back to two hours ago.

**

[Two hours ago]

Handyman Oppa gets out of her car with two box of pizzas after she parked her car near a beautiful house. The residents of the house already expected her so she just enters the house after knocking once. As soon as she enters the house, Eunha jumps on her. She smiles as she puts the two large pizza boxes on the dining table. Sowon and Umji greet her with a broad smile on her face that is directed at the pizza more than at her. Handyman Oppa just about to ask the girls about SinB when Yuju darted out of the bathroom, straight to the pizza boxes laying on the table. The second tallest girl’s stomach growls causing them to laugh. Yuju tries to open the box and Sowon quickly slaps her hand.

”Let’s eat together,” Sowon said.

”Oppa, can you get SinB and Yerin. They are in the backyard, stargazing,” Eunha asks Handyman Oppa to call her two friends and the older woman just smiles and nods her head before getting out of the house via the front door.

Handyman Oppa walks stealthily around the house towards the backyard of the house that the six girls are staying while filming their music video. She decides to drive up here to meet SinB and spends the night before leaving early in the morning tomorrow for her appointment. Handyman Oppa looks up at the sky and smiles. The sky is full of stars tonight, illuminating the night and she gets why Yerin and SinB are out there stargazing. She would have done that too.

Handyman Oppa didn’t tell SinB that she was coming here, so she is pretty excited to surprise the young girl. They were still in the post-fighting stage, so they haven’t talked much. But, Handyman Oppa decides to come and visit SinB and apologise to her. Besides apologising, she actually plans something else making her more eager to get SinB and Yerin so they can eat and she could execute her plan after dinner. She didn’t want to do it but she had thought about it long and hard and decided that it is the right time to do it. 

Just as she got to the backyard, she spotted the two girls sitting on the mat in the middle of the backyard. There is a bunch of wildflowers tied together lying next to SinB. The girl that she loves with all her heart is staring at the night sky, but Yerin is not. Yerin is facing SinB’s side. As Handyman Oppa about to call the girls’ names, her phone buzzes and she take a look on who is calling her before putting it back in her pocket, ignoring the call. She approaches SinB and Yerin but then halted her step when she heard Yerin starts talking. She listens to what Yerin is saying. At first, the girl stammers a bit and it becoming clearer and smoother.

Handyman Oppa couldn’t help but smile as she listens to what Yerin is saying. The words are actually lyrical and romantic. Handyman Oppa is in awe as she couldn’t believe that Yerin could do something that good, little that she knew that they are the lyrics of Gfriend’s new songs. Handyman Oppa beginning to get a grip of what is happening in front of her right now when Yerin started talking about her heart and her other half. Yerin is proposing to SinB, again. She wanted to walk away but it feels like her feet are buried into the concrete that she couldn’t move. Finally, she manages to lift her feet and walk away as fast as she can when Yerin said, ”SinB, I know I’ve told you this before and asked you this before. I love you. You are my other half. Will you be my girlfriend?”

She wanders aimlessly in front of the house, trying to think what she should do. Just as she walks to her car, deciding that she should drive back home tonight, her phone buzzes and she picks up the call. Sei has been calling her since this afternoon.

”Hello, master. So, how did it go? Did she say yes?” the woman on the other end asks excitedly.

”I don’t know,” Handyman Oppa answers solemnly.

”What do you mean you don’t know, Yuu? Did she said yes? Nods her head? Smile? Hug you? Anything that indicates a yes? Wait...don’t tell me she rejected you?” 

Handyman Oppa swears a tear is threatening to escape from her eyes, but she managed to hold it in.

”She beat me to it. The girl proposed to her,” Handyman Oppa said lowly.

”What?! Again? The girl proposed to her again?” the woman practically screams at the phone and Handyman Oppa could clearly heard the frustrated sighs escaping Sei’s mouth. 

”Why did you stupidly encourage her to do so? Wait, how did you know this? Did she told you about it?” the Japanese woman asks again.

”No, she didn’t. I walked into them when she was proposing...” mutters Handyman Oppa.

”Really? So, did she say yes? Did she say no? What did she say?” 

”I don’t know. I walked away, didn’t wait for her to answer.” Handyman Oppa plops her head on the steering wheel weakly.

”Why didn’t you wait. Uhh...maybe she didn’t give her the answer just like before. The girl you loves didn’t give her the answer before this, that’s why she proposed again. No, you suggested her to, that’s why she proposed again,” the woman said in a mixed feelings of hopeful and frustrated. Handyman Oppa couldn’t utter a word and just hums, not even know what it means. Just a hum, a sound that she manages to form with .

”C’mon man, don’t lose hope just yet. She probably didn’t say yes. You should tell her what you are feeling, propose to her and let her rejects you first before giving up. You already plan to propose to her tonight, you already made a ring for her, so do it! Wait...I dont’t believe I’m giving my love coach and mentor a love advice. Shoot! Oh well, you have always been hopeless when it comes to your own love story. C’mon, listen to me this once.”

”I already did. That’s why I’m here tonight. I drove for hours to propose to her although I need to drive back home tomorrow morning as I have my chemo session tomorrow.” Handyman Oppa slowly lifts up her head of the steering wheel to start the engine. Her fingers are already at the ignition button when Umji knocks on her window causing her to take a deep breath and puts on a facade.

”Hey, someone knocks on my window. I got to go. Say hi to your wife for me.” Handyman Oppa tries to end the call and before she could do it, Sei shouted once again, ”don’t give up just yet! Oh, and Youko and I are coming to visit you next week.”

”Oh? Okay. Text me the details later. Got to go. And I won’t? I don’t know. Bye.” Handyman Oppa puts her phone on the seat, in between her legs.

**

”Oppa!” Umji’s high pitched shouting brings Handyman Oppa back from her trip down memory lane that is quite painful for her.

”Hmm. Did you call me, Umji?” Handyman Oppa asks innocently.

”YES!” Umji, Eunha and Yuju shouted in unison.

”We all have been calling you for the past two minutes, oppa. Where did your mind wander off to? Come, the popcorn is ready. Do you mind grabbing them from the microwave? Then we can start the movie,” said Umji smiling sweetly at her. Handyman Oppa nods her head before turning off the water that has been running for who knows how long. 

Handyman Oppa takes the popcorn from the microwave and pours them into a bowl. She then goes to the living room where the six girls are already seated on the couch, ready to watch the movie. Yuju and Umji are sitting on the two-seater couch, while Yerin sits at the other end of the long couch, staring at her side instead of the front where the TV is. Sowon is sitting on Yerin’s right, wrapping her girlfriend, Eunha with her right arm. Next to Eunha is SinB who is busy looking at her phone. The only spot left for Handyman Oppa to sit is at the end of the long couch, besides SinB. She proceeds to take the vacant spot and hands the bowl full of popcorn to Eunha.

Looking at the sitting arrangement, Handyman Oppa finds a ray of hope. She glances at her side and she sees SinB is only wearing short pants and she is having goosebumps on her thigh, probably cold. She stands up without saying a word but was stopped by Umji asking her is she going.

”To the toilet. You can start the movie first, don’t wait for me.” Handyman Oppa smiles at Umji who just nods her head before pressing the button on the remote control.

Handyman Oppa fishes out her phone to read the text message she got earlier when SinB scolded her. It was from Sei. She types her reply and sends it. After a few seconds, Sei replies her text.

Sei: Attaboy! Don’t give up just yet. Get some rest, you have to drive back tomorrow morning. Good night, Yuu.

Handyman Oppa just smiles reading the text and gets out of the toilet. She stops by the bedrooms and grabs a few blankets. Handyman Oppa gives the blankets to Umji and Yerin, while covering SinB’s exposed legs with another blanket she had in her hand. SinB looks up from her phone and stares at the blanket a bit before focusing on the TV, putting her phone down on the couch. Handyman Oppa does the same, directing her eyes towards the screen.

”Hey, I’ll carry the girls to their room,” Handyman Oppa whispers at Sowon who is the only one awake and watch the movie until the end with her. The other five girls are already asleep halfway through the movie. Sowon nods her head weakly, agreeing to the older woman.

”What’s the arrangement?” Handyman Oppa asks.

”SinB, Umji and Yuju are in the bedroom on the left. Put Umji in the middle.” Sowon gestures with her hand towards the direction of the room.

Handyman Oppa nods her head and slowly moves SinB’s head off her shoulder before gingery resting it on her chest. She slips her arm across the girl’s back and secures her hand at the side of SinB’s body, just below her armpit, near her . Another arm wraps SinB’s lower body under her knees. Ever so gently, Handyman Oppa lifts SinB bridal style and carry the sleeping girl to the bedroom. She lays her on the bed on the left side and tucks the girl under the blanket. Before leaving, she kisses SinB’s forehead, whispering ’good night’ to the sleeping girl who just makes random sounds. Handyman Oppa repeats the same process, lifting bridal style and carrying Umji, then Yuju. Since Yerin is also sleeping, Handyman Oppa said to Sowon she will carry the second oldest girl too and Sowon said she will carry her girlfriend which she gladly agrees. Just as Handyman Oppa lays Yerin on the bed, the girl opens her eyes and the woman smiles at her.

”Good night, sleep tight, Yerin-ah.” Handyman Oppa ruffles the girl’s hair instead of kissing her knowing Yerin might not be fond of it.

”Sowon-ah, I’m leaving early in the morning. Tell your girlfriend for me, please,” Handyman Oppa said to Sowon before kissing Eunha’s forehead and proceed to kiss the oldest girl’s forehead too which she rarely done making the girl blush while nodding her head.

Handyman Oppa gets comfortable on the long couch where she sat with the girls when watching the movie earlier. She lies on her back and as she starts to doze off her phone buzzes. She sighs inwardly and picks up the phone.

”Yah! Why do I get a message saying you postponed your session?” the woman on the other end instantly screams when Handyman Oppa answers the call.

”I just moved it forward a couple of hours, I’m still doing them tomorrow, chill dude.” Handyman Oppa said lazily.

”Why? Are you okay?” the woman, one of Handyman Oppa close friends, the neurosurgeon asks concernedly.

”I’m not in Seoul tonight. I guess I’m okay? Don’t worry too much, I’ll make it to the session. I’ll drive back to Seoul first thing in the morning,” Handyman Oppa reassures the woman.

”Okay. I’m going to accompany you tomorrow.”

”Nah, it’s okay. You don’t have to.” 

”I don’t have to. I want to. I’m working night shift tonight. You should rest. Good night, I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye.” 

Handyman Oppa bids her goodbye and ends the call. She is exhausted that she falls asleep as soon as she lays her head on the pillow. A lot has been going on today, usually she will think about them but nowadays, her energy level is slightly lower than before this. So, she mostly goes to bed early, plus she needed to drive back to Seoul first thing in the morning. Tonight she chooses not to think about her messy, uncertain relationship with SinB. She is thankful enough that she could see SinB since they haven’t met much after they got back from Japan.

***

Eunha walks lazily to the living room to find Handyman Oppa. She heard the older woman’s phone is buzzing but the woman is sound asleep, so she picks up the call.

”Yah, wake up or you are not going to make it for your chemo-”

”Emm, hello. This is Eunha. Oppa is still sleeping,” Eunha cuts off the woman on the other line as she sounds serious.

”Ahh, yes. Can you please wake her up. She needed to drive back to Seoul. Thank you. Bye.”

”Ohh. Okay. I wake her up. Bye.” 

Eunha shakes the sleeping woman’s limped body in front of her. Handyman Oppa rubs her eyes and slowly opens them and smiles at Eunha.

”Five minutes, just five, please?” Handyman Oppa pulls Eunha into an embrace and the girl smiles back and lies on the couch with her back facing the older woman. Handyman Oppa wraps  her arms over Eunha’s body, resting her chin on top of the girl’s head and closes back her eyes, still wearing her smiles on her face.

”Oppa...” Eunha calls Handyman Oppa who is lying behind her as she plays with the woman’s fingers. Handyman Oppa responds with a husky hum.

”Do you have to go back? Can’t you stay here until we are done shooting?” Eunha asks.

”Uhm...I can’t. I have an appointment, could only push it forward a few hours,” Handyman Oppa said in her hoarse morning voice with her eyes still closing.

”What appointment? Where? You are always busy with appointments nowadays, I can’t even go to your house anymore,” Eunha pouts, she knows the woman can’t see her but the oppa will know, she always know because her voice changes when she does that.

”Therapy. At the hospital. I’m sorry, I’ll try and spend more time with you after this, okay? Is it five minutes already?” Handyman Oppa asks lazily, tightening her embrace, not wanting to wake up.

”Em, no. Let’s go, wake up. You have to shower and all. Your friend called just now to wake you up and say you have to get going if you don’t want to miss the appointment. Oppa...”

”Hmm...?”

”Are you lying to me? I feel like you are lying to me,” Eunha suddenly asks an unexpected question so early in the morning making Handyman Oppa shocked by it but manage to hide it well.

”I’m not.” 

”Is there something you are not telling me?” Eunha still hasn’t given up.

”Maybe.”

”Are you going to tell me?” Eunha asks.

”Probably. But, not now. Now, I have to get up and shower before everyone is up.” Handyman Oppa stretches her arms out and kisses Eunha’s crown and sits up. As she wanted to go over the girl’s body to get off the couch, Eunha grabs her wrist, halting her.

”Promise you will tell me?” the young girl asks cutely, holding out her pinky finger to which Handyman Oppa pinches her nose before linking her pinky finger with Eunha’s, ”promise”.

***

Yerin wakes up and goes to the living room, finding Handyman Oppa there but the woman is not in there. She peeks from the window next to the front door to see if the woman’s car is still there, it is not.

”Oppa went back to Seoul this morning,” Eunha suddenly appears behind Yerin.

”It’s still morning,” said Yerin as she walks to the kitchen, hoping to find something to eat because oppa usually prepares breakfast for them only to find nothing.

”She went back at 6.30 this morning. No, she didn’t cook anything. She left after showering,” as if knowing what Yerin is searching for, Eunha smiles at her apologetically while squeezing her shoulder.

Yerin sighs. She really wanted to talk to Handyman Oppa and she is really hungry too. Yerin starts getting the eggs from the fridge and cracks them in a bowl. Since she has been cooking breakfast for SinB, she has become the morning chef for the girls as well. With limited ingredients available, Yerin just whips some eggs to make scrambled eggs, and pan-fried sausages to be eaten with toast. After Sowon gets out of the bathroom, the oldest girl continues preparing the breakfast while she showers and gets ready for the second day of shooting.

For half of day Yerin tried to talk to SinB, but the girl avoided her. Finally, they are going to shoot the scene involving only the two of them. She is determined to talk to SinB when they are shooting the scene, otherwise she never gets to. Yerin decided to use Handyman Oppa’s approach. She learnt something as she observed the woman last night. That is, do what your loved ones need, not what you want. But, you still have to express what you feel which surely will lead to having an argument or fight. Then, be the one who gives in first. And what Eunha said last night makes her reflects on her actions.

”SinB...” Yerin calls out SinB’s name when they walk into the forest to where they are going to shoot the scene.

”What?” SinB responded coldly.

”I’m sorry. I’m sorry about last night. I’m not marking you or making you my possession. The ring is just a symbol of my love and promises to you that I will always love you and takes care of you. I know I was a bit hasty last night, I’m sorry. But, can we talk about us and talk to each other first what we should and should not, and what we want to do or don’t want to do. I don’t want us to continue fighting.” Yerin voiced out everything she had on mind although SinB doesn’t seem like she wanted to talk. But, she just had to get that out of her chest.

”I know you are still mad at me. But, can you think about it? What I just said? Don’t worry, you don’t have to say anything or talk about it right now. Take your time, I’m here, I’ll always be here with you. We will go through this together, I love you, SinB-ah.” 

SinB doesn’t say anything and keeps walking silently. Yerin knows not to press the girl any further, so she also shuts . She is going to give SinB some time and space to think about it, but as she learnt last night, she still should be with her. So, she silently takes SinB’s hand and clasped it with hers. Yerin smiles while sighing inwardly.

**

SinB grips Yerin’s hand tight as they walk towards the place they are shooting the scene. She is still overwhelmed after hearing what Yerin said to her just now. SinB wanted to talk to her girlfriend about the same thing but she plans to talk to Yerin later at the house. She realised that she too was hasty last night and she blames it all to the period cramps. This morning when she woke up, she was consumed with guilt when she takes out the ring from her pocket. Much to her displease, she had to admit that Yerin was partly right last night when she questioned her motive of taking the ring off. She doesn’t want Handyman Oppa to see it. And she also doesn’t want her members to ask about it. So, partly. Just partly, Yerin was right.

SinB doesn’t want Handyman Oppa to see it because she thinks it would hurt the woman’s heart. She loves Handyman Oppa, but, she loves Yerin more and during the time Yerin gave her to think, she was assured by the girl that she loves her more than she loves oppa. She knows the oppa also has feelings for her, but she is not sure how much or whether it’s just merely a crush, or she likes her or loves her.  They have never talked about it. Nevertheless, she thinks it would be better and would lessen the blow if she told Handyman Oppa about her status with Yerin, instead of she founds out from other people or through her eyes - that is seeing her wearing a ring on her ring finger. 

SinB wanted to tell the members first about their relationship before telling Handyman Oppa. Since they just recently become a couple last night, she and Yerin haven’t got the chance to tell the members, so, she decided that taking off the ring is the right choice. She told Yerin when she asked her why, but when Yerin accused her, well not accused but correctly guessed part of her reason, she snapped. SinB never told Yerin about her feelings for oppa, so surely she doesn’t want her to know that’s the reason. Of course she never told Yerin about it, how could she? She loves Yerin too and she doesn’t want to hurt her.

Furthermore, she is not entirely sure people would understand her if she said she is in love with two people at a time, except for Handyman Oppa. She had talked about this with the older woman, indirectly though. SinB said it was about her friend and Handyman Oppa gave great advice. One of the determinant when she accepted Yerin’s proposal was what oppa told her. Choose the one that she loves more. She finds that she loves Yerin more than she loves Handyman Oppa. SinB doesn’t want to lose either of them, but there is something in her heart that she can’t explain what it is, but it is saying that she loves Yerin more than Handyman Oppa.

SinB is glad that Yerin stubbornly said what she said just now although she responded to her in a dismissive tone. She would like it better if Yerin take the lead in their relationship, she feels more secure. SinB admits she sometimes can be hot-headed and emotional that she fears it might caused more disturbance in their relationship more often than it should be. But, leading the relationship with effective communication between them, not simply being told what to do and have to oblige. She is not someone’s possession. She has her own mind about everything and she is a rational being, discuss with her the reasons why or why shouldn’t it be, they can come to a solution and will follow through even she is not fully contented with the decision. SinB is grateful that Yerin also wanted the same, to figure their relationship out together.

As soon as they reach the place, the director told them what to do, so SinB doesn’t get a chance to talk to Yerin. But, not wanting to prolong the uncomfortable and unsureness feelings surrounding her and Yerin, SinB uses the time they are shooting the scene to talk to her girlfriend. As luck would have it, they were asked to stand back-to-back and whispers something to each other. That was her chance and she grabs it without looking back. 

”Thank you for trying to understand me. Let’s figure this out together. I love you, Yerin,” SinB whispers in her girlfriend’s ear, but she unintentionally whispers the last part of her sentence a bit too low and perhaps a tad too seductive causing Yerin’s face to get red as a beetroot. Yerin got flustered and it showed on her face that the director had to yell ’cut’. The take is called NG and they had to retake them. Only this time, the director thinks that Yerin is sensitive to being whispered at, so he asked Yerin to whisper something to SinB instead.

”Thank you, SinB. I love you,” Yerin whispers in her ears.

Yerin’s warm breath that hits SinB’s neck and their close proximity at this time sends shivers down her spine. She can feel the hair on her neck is erecting because of it. But, she is greater at self-controlling compared to Yerin, so she managed to distract herself enough to stop all the blood pumped by her lungs rush to her face. And having a skin that is not as white as Yerin also help minimise the redness of her face. But, she couldn’t help to grip Yerin’s hand that she is holding. The director yells ’cut’ and complimented their cooperation and acting saying the scene was good, portraying a deep and genuine emotions from their facial and body expression. Little that the director knew, it was not acting, it was a real thing. Yerin and SinB both smiles contented and probably to the crew’s eyes because of their job well done but it is actually because of another milestone achieved in their relationship. They just reconcile after their first couple’s fight. They unlock another achievement and stage of their relationship.

****

Handyman Oppa smiles by herself watching Gfriend’s online video broadcast at home. The girls move into a new apartment and they invited her tonight for dinner but she couldn’t go. She sent them a lot of groceries and essentials for their new home instead. She knows after this it is going to be difficult for her to meet the girls as they are promoting their new song and album. As much as it pains her not being able to go there and spends time with them before they are busy, she doesn’t want to risk their health. 

Other people might not do like she does, but she always stays at home for 48 hours after her chemotherapy session as a precaution. The drugs used for chemoteraphy are really strong with its main feature is to kill body cells that are damaged or cancerous but will do the same if it comes into contact with healthy cells. The drugs residue could be excreted from her body fluid as when she pees and sweats or sometimes vomits, which she doesn’t do often.

So, as a precaution, she usually stays at home for two days. She still works as usual but for the two days, she works from home. Her last chemo was this morning and this time around she feels quite lethargic after the session, so, she decides it is best for her not to show up there and answer the girls’ questions with a mix of lies and truths. For tonight, she settles with watching them live online and texting them.

Both her friends, Sei and the neurologist advised her to tell the girls the truth about her current condition instead of avoiding and timing their meets, but Handyman Oppa keeps delaying it ever since her plan to tell SinB about it that night was nullified after running into the girl’s proposal. She didn’t originally plan to tell SinB and the girls while she is still receiving active treatment and by her calculation and prediction, it might last for at least six months.

Handyman Oppa is confident that she could survive keeping it a secret for six months and just tell them when she is just doing follow-up routines. But then, Sei convinced her to propose to SinB although she is in this condition to show to SinB that she really loves her. And as much as she is displeased by it, Sei talked her into using her condition to sway SinB’s heart and decision. Well, it didn’t happen, so she is glad. She didn’t say anything, literally nothing related to her condition, her love for SinB or proposed to SinB that night. They exchanged a few sarcastic remarks and that is all. She left in the morning after kissing the sleeping girl’s forehead and mutters her apology.

And here she is, lying on her bed, watching intently SinB on her laptop’s screen, smiling like a hopeless romantic, lovestruck idiot that she is. She texted SinB telling her she will watch it online and apologise for not going there. They are good now, they made up after Handyman Oppa called SinB the day she went back to Seoul for her chemo. It is actually quite easy to make up with SinB, all the girl needs is an explanation and some time to cool off. She might be short-tempered sometimes, but you just have to be patient and explains to her your reason. And prepare yourself to be the one to give in first, it is that simple. For Handyman Oppa, it’s not a big deal. She doesn’t mind doing that if it means ceasing the fight and argument. Winning an argument but losing someone you love is the biggest lost one could face. Never would she want to do that. But, she still keeps herself in check not to lose herself too much, hence, sometimes the fight.

***

Since the second day of shooting the music video, Yerin and SinB talk a lot about their relationship. They still haven’t told the members yet as they couldn’t find a right time to do it. After the shooting, they focus on practising for their comeback and promotion. Once starting the promotion period, they are super busy. While promoting Love Whisper, they prepare for a repackage album and a new song, so their schedule are packed. They did talked, but that doesn’t mean they had a smooth ride, they did fight. Most of them can be attributed to the fact that they still keeping their relationship to themselves. 

SinB thought she will be the one who gets jealous all the time, but, it turns out Yerin is as bad at handling jealousy as her. They got into an argument because of it. SinB always knew that Yerin is a friendly person and sometimes can be a bit flirty. She likes kissing, touching and hugging people. SinB knew most of the times they merely skinship that bears no other meaning.Though, there are still times that SinB feels like chopping off Yerin’s hands so she couldn’t do it to other people than her, her rightful girlfriend.

She always felt this way before they got officially in a romantic relationship, but back then she just keeps it to herself. Now that they are together, she would certainly voice it out but Yerin always says this in response, ”I’ve been doing this all the time, you never said anything before. You know it doesn’t mean anything. I love you, SinB-ah. Don’t be jealous like this.” SinB swears she had been breaking Yerin’s hands and pulls out her tongue in her mind a few times when Yerin said that to her.

Hearing Yerin is so casually reasoned her behaviour leads one to believe that she is a carefree, not jealous type of girlfriend. Hell to the no! Handyman Oppa and SinB are still texting like usual, this includes the routine good morning and good night texts. SinB could still remember clearly one of the many mornings and nights that they fought because of it. 

Yerin who said her touching other girls are not a big deal, going berserk when she replied Handyman Oppa’s good morning text. They were in the kitchen, SinB was getting the mugs to make them some tea and Yerin was frying eggs on the stove. Then, Handyman Oppa texted her and she replied. What happened next was extremely shocking for SinB. Yerin turns off the stove with the eggs are still not done in the pan and leave them there. The older girl just left the half-cooked eggs and SinB in the kitchen telling her to ask Handyman Oppa to prepare the breakfast for her.

That morning, they lost one frying pan and had to order breakfast from the nearby restaurant for a few days since they didn’t have time to buy a new pan. Everyone was puzzled when they saw the pan with eggs sticking on it in the rubbish bin. SinB didn’t say she was the one who tossed it in the bin aggrieved at Yerin angrily walking out on her.

Morning is not the only time they get into argument, they just had one last night. Yerin didn’t kiss her goodnight before retiring to her room, so SinB went and asked her about it. She didn’t ask her girlfriend in an angry tone or demanding her to, she was being cute at it. But, that doesn’t do the trick like it usually does. Yerin said this, ”you already get your goodnight kiss from your oppa, I think that would be enough for you to sleep and have a sweet dream.” SinB storms out of the room and sleep with a sour feeling which she sure Yerin did too.

Those are two things that SinB and Yerin couldn’t come to an agreement. Yerin’s fond of skinship with people and SinB’s relationship with Handyman Oppa. People might think it is preposterous of them since they are doing the same thing that they hate the other was doing. SinB has a quite good amount of time hugging other members too and Yerin is texting Handyman Oppa too like SinB does and all other four members of Gfriend. 

Right now, they are sitting on the couch with Sowon waiting for the other girls to get ready for their schedule. It is near the end of third week of promoting and their schedule is not as hectic as the first two weeks. Unlike everyone else who only brings one bag that they filled with their necessities, Eunha brings two bags. Her tote bag and a backpack. Both Yerin and SinB look at the petite girl confusedly. Sowon doesn’t seem to bother by it. Eunha drops the bags on the floor by the couch and proceeds to sit on Sowon’s lap. SinB looks in jealousy at the intimate interaction between the couple.

”Oppa will pick me up this evening and drop me at the event’s location tomorrow. Uhh...I’m going to shower my Sowonnie with love today so she is not going to miss me too much tonight,” Eunha said as she presses her lips on Sowon’s. The happy couple engage in delicate, loving, long kisses. After they break away from the kiss, they still sit in the same position. Eunha’s bottom in between Sowon’s thighs, leaning the side of her body onto Sowon’s body with her arms wrapping around the tallest girl’s waist. Sowon holds the petite girl close to her and plays with Eunha’s fingers, kissing her girlfriend’s head and talk about their schedule and trivial things.

That’s another thing SinB and Yerin still couldn’t see eye to eye. Not the sitting, because they already been sitting like that before they become an item. Not the kissing part, they don’t mind it because they steal a few minutes in the bathroom, in the laundry room, in the kitchen and in Yerin’s bedroom when they had a chance. They are both not deprived of intimate physical interaction. It’s about Yerin who still wouldn’t let SinB go out alone with Handyman Oppa, let alone spending the night at the older woman’s apartment.

And because of that, SinB couldn’t help feeling Yerin is controlling her, acting like she is her possession and she really hates it. She told Yerin about it once the night they just got together and had a fight. And she did tell Yerin couple of times after that but Yerin still asks her to please not press her to let her go out with the oppa or spend the night there. Surely they had fought because of it and Yerin apologised for it and then do it again. SinB always forgives Yerin as she doesn’t want to be in a relationship where they constantly fight. But, she fears it’s going to take a toll on her and she might end up losing herself to it, and that is something she never wants to happen. She remembers Handyman Oppa once told her that loving someone means compromising with the other person but we should never lose ourselves in the process. SinB sighs as here she is, staring at Yerin with eyes full of love but thinking about it in her mind.

***

The company released their new song, Summer Rain two weeks ago with their repackage EP titled ’Rainbow’. They are entering their third week of promoting the song and album. When everyone is ready to leave for their schedule today, Yerin asks everyone to be home tonight to have dinner together. The girl even entices them with home-cook meals so they will agree which is unnecessary, as if the girls have anywhere else to go in the middle of promoting. Everyone happily accepts Yerin’s suggestion and even throw in some ideas of what Yerin should prepare for dinner tonight. 

Tonight is an important night for both SinB and Yerin. They had come to a decision regarding their relationship while they were having a short break between their last comeback and this comeback. SinB and Yerin both feel that they have been arguing a lot and think that this might be the best way and time for them to end it. They had thought about it, it is unbearable for them anymore as sometimes the fight is affecting their performance. SinB and Yerin wanted to do this earlier but then seeing the packed schedule, they decided to delay it for a bit and agrees that tonight is the best time to do it.

SinB has been helping Yerin preparing the ingredients for the promised home-cook meal ever since they got home after their schedule ended. She and Yerin are both nervous with their decision but they convinced each other that if they keep going like they are now, they might jeopardise their group’s harmony and activity which is the last thing they want. The two had tried doing this relationship like they had been doing for the past few weeks and they began to feel its burden on them. So, they have both convinced each other that they are young and that probably the main cause of all their fights. The decision is inevitable, and the time has finally come. They wholeheartedly hope that it is the right decision.

Halfway through dinner, Yerin stands up and clears , preparing to say what she planned to say. SinB nervously looks at Yerin but still curved a reassuring smile at the older girl. She knew about this plan because she was part of it. The other four girls are still eating but they directed their focus at the girl who is standing next to SinB who is in the same position as them, sitting in her seat.

”Everyone, I- we... SinB and I have something to tell you guys,” Yerin stutters and she swallows a big chunk of her saliva that is stuck in . She takes a deep breath and absentmindedly scratches her nape. Yerin tries again after taking a deep breath.

”SinB and I...”