Proposal

Do you love me?

Yerin just stares at the night sky. It is beautiful. The stars are scattered all over the pitch black sky, illuminating the night. Yerin wears the hoodie of her sweater over her head as she wanted to avoid people from recognising her. It has been a while since she last come to Han River.

”Jaah! Here. I am not going to let you get drunk. So, I only bought three cans.”

Yerin looks at the plastic bag filled with cans being handed to her. Yerin nods her head, taking the plastic bag while the person takes a seat next to her.

”I know. Don’t start.” Yerin said as she pops open one of the can she just took from the plastic bag before handing the plastic to the woman next to her.

Yerin gulps down the alcoholic drink the woman bought for her. Although the woman refused to buy them for her, she still bought them. However, Yerin sees that the woman bought some soft drinks for herself.

”I am your go-to person, eyh?” Handyman Oppa asks Yerin as she gulps down her soft drink while looking afar at the river in front of them.

Yerin just hums her response. She takes another big gulp of her drink. They both stares vacantly at the river. Yerin knows, it is uncanny for her to meet Handyman Oppa to discuss her feelings for SinB and her plan to propose to the girl that they both are in love with.

”So, what’s the occasion?” Handyman Oppa asks.

Yerin sighs heavily. She have friends other than Handyman Oppa, surely. But she doesn’t know how to discuss this matter with them. And she knows how absurd it is as much as how much it would hurt the older woman.

”I love her. I don’t want to lose her. I can’t. I can’t think for a second how to live without her.” Yerin finally starts talking after she finishes her first can.

Handyman Oppa just listens to Yerin quietly, without saying anything. Her gaze is fixated on the Han River’s bridge far away from them. She sips her drinks slowly, continuously with a short break when she grabs and pops open a new can.

”You remember a few days ago? I was slipping and tripping on stage. My mind got distracted by SinB. She looks so beautiful. Out of the world kind of beautiful. Looks like an angel descending from the heaven. I think I sprained my ankle,but I don’t care. I just know I love her. I can fall as hard as I can, but it will never as hard as I have fallen for her. I have fallen for her so many times that I think I might have bruises all over my body, might have broken bones as well. But, I would gladly endure that.”

Yerin smiles when she remembers how cute SinB’s face when she is worried about her. Sometimes, she can be a bit clumsy. And she would end up falling. Every single time, SinB would scold her particularly when she got injured or hurt. But then, the girl will look after her caringly. Although it will always come with a constant nagging as a bonus, Yerin loves it. SinB’s nagging is like a melodious song sings by an angel in Yerin’s ears.

”I told you, don’t get hurt. Be careful! Please...can you please be careful next time?” 

Yerin clearly remembers those words SinB always say to her when she got hurt from practice or performing or even from goofing around. She always starts by scolding her and then in the same sentence would ask her nicely to be careful the next time. SinB would always make her promise that she wouldn’t get injured the next time and Yerin would still do. Yerin didn’t purposely hurt herself although she likes how the girl takes care of her, it just happens and she can’t help but be thankful as she would be taken care of by SinB.

”You know she looks cute when she nags. She looks hella y and pretty when she’s angry.” Yerin asks Handyman Oppa.

”Ne.” Handyman Oppa responded simply.

They both smiles, thinking of SinB’s cute nagging. The two have been sitting next to each other for more than 15 minutes, yet they still haven’t look at each other. Not even once. They both finished two cans of drinks but still looks far away into the starry night's sky.

”I’m sorry I talk to you about this. I know you love her too. But...” Yerin pauses for a while and turns around to see Handyman Oppa’s reaction, but the woman looks calm.

”I do have friends...it’s just...” Yerin continues and stops again. She is at lost of words, she doesn’t know how to explain it to Handyman Oppa.

”It’s okay. You don’t talk about these things with just anyone. You’re a celebrity...you have to be more careful. I don’t mind. I understand.”

”Who do you talk about these things with?” Yerin asks, interestedly. She turns to face Handyman Oppa’s side with anticipation.

”No one.” Handyman Oppa responded still looking at the river.

Yerin sighs. Handyman Oppa’s response is making her feel more guilty. But, the older woman quickly catches that and turns around facing her to give her a warm smile. Handyman Oppa gently pats the top of her head and ruffles her hair a bit.

”You can always talk to me. About everything. Don’t think about me. Why do you look so sad? Jaaahh. Let’s focus on you. What brings us today?” said Handyman Oppa in a feigned cheerful tone.

”It seems like you are the go-to person for a lot of people. Me. Sowon. Eunha. Eunha always spends the night at your house. Didn’t you have lunch with Yuju and Umji today? But you don’t talk about this thing with anyone?” Yerin said with a mixed feelings of sad and guilt at the same time.

”SinB could spend those nights at my place too if it’s not because of you,” complaints Handyman Oppa.

”What did you and Eunha talk about? Sowon? Oh, today was your first time going out for lunch with both Yuju and Umji, isn’t it? What did you guys talk about?” Yerin asks, completely ignoring the older woman’s complaint.

”I should start charging you girls by the hours, now.” This time Handyman Oppa is ignoring Yerin’s question.

”I guess Eunha talk to you about Sowon. Same goes for Sowon. Scolding you for being close with her girlfriend. Umji must have talked to you about SinB. And Yuju should be talking about me.” Yerin answers her own question and then lets out a sigh.

”I know Yuju talked to you about me. I overheard her the other night.” Yerin said as she looks down at her feet, swaying the can in her hand.

”I didn’t mean to hurt her. I...I don’t know what to do. I love her. I do. But not the same way as she loves me. I wish I could be like her. I heard she told you that she is going to stop pursuing me.” Yerin continues although Handyman Oppa didn’t respond to her earlier.

”So I could save myself from getting hurt even more,” said Yerin sadly, repeating the words Yuju said to Handyman Oppa over the phone when they were on their way back from Nonsan.

”We don’t always get what we want. We’ll live.” Handyman Oppa said calmly, almost emotionless.

Handyman Oppa looks at Yerin. She doesn’t say anything and just stares at the girl’s face until the girl’s cheeks turn red, unexpectedly. Not because she already gulped down a can and a half of the alcoholic drink she bought her. Handyman Oppa grins. She finds it a little funny that her rival is blushing over her stare. ’She’s a girl after all’. Handyman Oppa said to herself as her lips curled into a half smile.

”Stop staring. I’ll blushed.” Yerin said as she turns away, running from the older woman’s intense stare.

”You already are.” Handyman Oppa said smirking at Yerin.

”I’m a girl. Anyone would blush if you stare at them.” Yerin said clenching biting her bottom already pouted lips.

”So, is that what you wanted to talk about this early in the morning? Yuju?” Handyman Oppa finally getting more active after about half an hour staring at the sky and gulping down the soft drinks down . No one can blame her, it is four in the morning. Who would be actively talking at this hour.

”I think she already sorted that out with you. I’m sorry, oppa. Really sorry about this. I can only talk about this with you.” Yerin said it again, sincerely apologising to which Handyman Oppa just responded with, ”arasso”.

”I’m not asking you to back down. No. I just wanted to tell you beforehand. I am going to propose to SinB.” Yerin starts talking after taking a deep breath.

”That’s a given.” Handyman Oppa said as she shoots a confused look at Yerin.

Yerin’s eyes and mouth open wide. She never thought that would be the response she will get from her rival, who happens to be her close friend. She expected that the older woman would at least be surprised with it seeing that she sometimes a bit lost when it comes to things like this. Well, she is. That’s the reason why Yerin calls the older woman and asks her to meet this early in the morning.

”Well. Anyway. I thought it’s best for me to let you know beforehand.” Yerin said confidently this time.

”Did you call me this early in the morning, just for this?! And you need a drink for that? Really? Well, okay then. Thanks for letting me know.” Handyman Oppa said as she gathers the empty cans laying around on the grass between her and Yerin. 

The older woman was dusting her pants and ready to leave but stopped as Yerin calls her name. Yerin is sitting still, showing no sign of leaving just yet.

”Are you not going to ask me about it?” Yerin asks, tilting her head, and squinting her eyes.

”Ahh. There’s more?” Handyman Oppa said as she sits back at the same spot.

”Go on, tell me. I’m all ears.” Handyman Oppa said as she popped open a new can of the soft drink.

”Well...I am planning to propose to SinB to be my girlfriend. Soon.” Yerin said slowly, carefully, doesn’t want to leave anything out.

”Okay. Got that part. Loud and clear.” Handyman Oppa said as she knows that already because the girl already told her just a few minutes ago.

”And...?” Handyman Oppa asks.

”That’s it?” Yerin said, fiddling with her fingers.

Handyman Oppa broke into a laughter as soon as she heard Yerin’s response. She laughs like there’s no tomorrow. Yerin glares at Handyman Oppa but since the older woman is crouching, laughing her heart out, she doesn’t see it. Yerin has to smack Handyman Oppa’s arm to make her stop laughing. She pouted at the older woman who is trying to stop laughing.

”Yah! If that’s all, you can just call me or text me.” Handyman Oppa said after her laughter subsides.

”Well...I need some help with it. Do you have any idea how should I do it?” Yerin straightforwardly asks Handyman Oppa.

”You are asking me to propose some ideas for you to propose to SinB?” Handyman Oppa asks to which Yerin just nods her head as a response.

”Just give her the ring and say, be my girlfriend?” Handyman Oppa said with a straight face.

”Aish! You are not romantic at all, oppa. Next idea.” Yerin blatantly rejects Handyman Oppa idea and adds an insult to it making the older woman dumbfounded by what she said.

”Put it in her drink.” Handyman Oppa shoots another idea.

”She’ll see it.” Yerin objects Handyman Oppa’s idea.

”Don’t put it in champagne or white wine. Put it in red wine. Or cola.” Handyman Oppa answers back.

”Probably choked on it if she just gulps everything in one go.” Yerin once again rejected Handyman Oppa’s idea.

”Yah! Are you proposing to a savage animal that she would just drink it in one go?” asks Handyman Oppa, getting annoyed with rejection after rejection from Yerin.

”Put it in slushies or ice blended. You guys always drink that. And it would be too cold for her to drink it all in one go.” Handyman Oppa proposed again.

”It’s cold now. She wouldn’t drink them. Why are you so caught up with putting it in her drink?” Yerin blatantly rejects Handyman Oppa’s suggestion again.

Handyman Oppa scoffs at Yerin’s objection, ”says the person who hasn’t come up with an idea.”

”No originality, oppa.” Yerin said smirking at the annoyed older woman.

”Yah! Are we trying to win a competition, now?” Handyman Oppa burst out in anger that she has been holding in for a while.

”Aish. Don’t you think we should propose in a more unique, romantic way?” said Yerin staring fiercely at Handyman Oppa.

”I’m not the one proposing, you are. Write your message on the cola bottle then.” Handyman Oppa still sticking to ideas involving drinks despite Yerin’s glare.

”Stop it. Stop with the drinks.” Yerin said facepalming herself.

”You. Spit out some ideas then.” 

”I thought about hiding the ring in a cake or muffin or bread.” Yerin finally told Handyman Oppa her idea.

”Like that’s original.” Handyman Oppa stick her tongue out at Yerin.

”Haih. You and I the same then.” Yerin said, chuckles at the fact she and her rival are the same.

”But, that’s not a bad idea. Wait, I don’t think you know how to bake a cake, do you?” Handyman Oppa asks teasingly.

”I can just follow a recipe. But, can we put the ring in that...?” Yerin rubs her chin thinking about her idea, which surprisingly was supported by Handyman Oppa.

”Just how big is the ring? Did you buy her the octagon ring?” Handyman Oppa asks, again jokingly but then realises that Yerin has no idea what is she referring to when the girl just stares blankly at her. ”Ahh. You don’t watch UFC, you wouldn’t know that. Mianhae. But, I’m sure the ring would easily fit in a cake, even cupcake.”

Yerin sighs. She explains to Handyman Oppa that she worried if the ring would contaminate the food making it harmful to be eaten. Yerin bought the ring at one of the cheap jewellery shops and she is not sure if it is safe for her to proceed with her idea. Handyman Oppa nods her head, agreeing with her concern. Leaving the two thinking about it in silent when suddenly the thought of how much the ring cost might be an issue crosses Yerin’s mind. She asks Handyman Oppa about it.

”I don’t think that would be an issue. You are giving it to SinB. I don’t think she would mind about the price. It’s not like I am the one giving her the ring...” Handyman Oppa said casually, having no idea at all that it would make Yerin angry.

”Yah! What? Why? Why would it matter if you are the one giving her?” Yerin asks angrily, clenching her fist.

”You are young. You just started working around the same time as her. I am a little bit older than you. And I think I might make more money than you. Surely I can’t go proposing her with just any ring. Unless if I propose to her while playing games at the arcade and win her a ring.” Handyman Oppa said every single word as clear as she can.

”Uhh. That’s not a bad idea. Go out on a date. Play some games and you can plan it with the worker there to let you put the ring as one of the gifts that you could win.” Handyman Oppa elaborate on her idea that just come up in her mind as she was giving an example to Yerin earlier.

”Not bad. But, I have to set it with the worker. Words might get out and I’m sure it’s not good for the group.” Yerin said after she imagining the idea put forward by Handyman Oppa to which the older woman agrees.

”Emm. I supposed you can’t do it in a restaurant too. You can go to the beach. Draw a big heart and writes it on the sand, light up some candles around the heart. Then put the ring in the centre.”

Handyman Oppa suggested and Yerin smiles upon hearing it because luckily this time it doesn’t involve drinks or foods. So that’s what Yerin thought but then slapped her forehead when Handyman Oppa continues to elaborate on her idea.

”After that you can have a candlelight dinner by the ocean. Or...you have dinner first, then walk along the beach where you already set those things up. Or...or...go to the beach and have a picnic. Then, you can draw the heart as you guys are eating and pop the question there and then.”

”I see you do have a romantic bone in your body.” Yerin pats the older woman’s shoulder, feeling proud of her for coming up with a good and suitable idea for a romantic proposal. ”But, why does it always have to involve some type of food?” Yerin asks.

”But, if she says no...then it’s going to be an awkward ride back home and it would probably take an hour or two since you are at the beach. And of course food is a must. You don’t want it to be awkward when you are about to propose then suddenly your stomach starts growling. And just imagine if she is about to say yes then her stomachs growl, she would be too embarrassed to say yes. Surely it's a mood killer when you are about to kiss and there’s the sound. So, food is a must. But not something that has a pungent smell.” Handyman Oppa justifies her love for foods in every proposal idea.

Yerin nods her head, agreeing with Handyman Oppa. She never thought about that. The woman’s reason is valid and she could imagine how bad it would be if any of that scenario happens. Yerin feels a bit guilty to reject this idea after she has been rejecting all Handyman Oppa’s previous ideas. But, she doesn’t think she can do that because they might have to go to the beach with their manager. Then their manager would know about it. Though their CEO never mentioned about dating, whether it’s against the rule or not. but she is sure that having a relationship with one of the group’s member is not permitted. So, with a heavy sigh, she rejects the older woman’s idea. Surprisingly, the woman takes it very well.

”Oh? It’s quite far, I guess? The beach. So, just do it here. Just draw the heart on a piece of paper. Or the cola bottle like I just said earlier.” Handyman Oppa gets excited when she said about the cola bottle idea. For some reason, the older woman seems very fond of that idea.

”Don’t you think there are too many people here? I’m sure it will draw people’s attention when SinB and I come here together. Just the two of us. In the middle of the night. And I probably don’t get to kiss her immediately after she says yes.” Yerin pouted her lips, feeling sad just by thinking the possibility.

”Are you going to ask her for her answer right away? And you are planning to kiss her when she gives you her answer?” Handyman Oppa asks, looking pretty confused as if what Yerin said is totally absurd.

”Well...don’t they usually give an answer when we propose? And isn’t kissing is a way to seal the deal?” Yerin asks, dumbfounded with Handyman Oppa’s reaction.

”Say something. Don’t scare me like that. I never did this before. What would you do then?” Yerin asks, getting flustered by Handyman Oppa’s silence.

”I wouldn’t press her for an answer right away. So, probably we wouldn’t be kissing after I ask her. Don’t you ever think that she might say no?” Handyman Oppa asks as she finds it amusing that Yerin seems so confident that SinB would say yes.

”Well...I don’t want to think about negative things. If you think about positive things, something good is bound to happen,” said Yerin, didn’t waver with what the woman just said.

”You can think that as a positive thing, then. Think about it this way. She would be happy with me. You know I’ll take care of her, loves her, supports her with everything I have. See? Don’t think about it as a rejection to you. But, think that as a bright future for her.” Handyman Oppa said, holding in her laughter because she knows Yerin would get mad at her for saying that.

And Yerin never fails to live up to Handyma. Oppa’s expectation. The girl immediately yells at her and smacks the back of her head angrily to which made Handyman Oppa laughs her heart out. Yerin then realises that the older woman has been expecting her reaction, she just looks down shyly.

”Ahh. Look at the stars. Beautiful isn’t it?” said Handyman Oppa suddenly. 

Yerin looks up at the sky. She smiles. It’s true. The dark sky is illuminated by thousands of stars and the moon.

”Propose to her like this. Under the moonlight and stars shining on you two.” Handyman Oppa said as she lets her eyes wander around the sky.

”Huh? I told you, there are too many people here.” Yerin said in an annoyed tone because she just told the older woman the same thing not more than five minutes ago.

”Then bring the moon and stars to her.” Handyman Oppa said calmly as if it’s something Yerin could do with a snap of her fingers.

”I told you there are too many people here. And even if we go somewhere else, there are people. Even in our balcony, there might be people watching us.” Yerin grunts as she responded to Handyman Oppa.

”You. You are a singer. Can’t you be more creative?” this time, Handyman Oppa responded in the same annoyed tone.

”It’s five in the morning. We’ve been here for two hours. Mind my lack of creativeness.” Yerin talked back.

”I’m sleepy too. So let’s get this over with quickly. You can buy glow in the dark stars and moon. Put it up on your bedroom’s ceiling. Then write your proposal on a piece of transparent plastic using the glow in the dark pen, stick it up on the ceiling. Ties the ring to a string attached to a balloon, buy the helium balloon. And release it after she reads the message. The balloon is not going to get far, it will get stuck at the ceiling, so make sure the string is long enough that she can reach the ring. Do it in your room. Your bed is the top one. It’s easier. And It’s private. Only the two of you will see it. So, that would be good.” 

Yerin listens to Handyman Oppa’s idea attentively. She imagines the scene in her head as she listens to Handyman Oppa’s detail explanation. She was awestruck by it. It was so sweet and romantic. If someone proposes to her that way, she would cry and say yes immediately. Yerin studies Handyman Oppa’s face, trying to figure out the woman’s emotion.

”Is this how you are planning to propose to her? Did you just tell me your plan?” Yerin asks to which the older woman just shakes her head.

”Aniya. You can do that to propose to SinB. I’m just helping you out today. You asked me how to propose.” Handyman Oppa said with a smile. A smile that Yerin couldn’t figure out its meaning.

”The way you described it, like you had it all planned. Are you really letting me use your idea? Aren’t you going to propose to SinB?” Yerin asks again to know for sure what Handyman Oppa is thinking because she really loves the idea.

”Yes. Do it. She deserves to be proposed in a romantic way. Oh, and don’t forget about dinner. Go out for dinner first. I think it’s the perfect way to propose to her. I’m sorry I don’t offer you to do it at my place, though. The three of us might feel a bit awkward if you do it at my place.” Handyman Oppa said with a smile on her face.

”Are you sure, oppa?” Yerin asks for the last time to confirm.

”Yes. Go ahead. I’m just giving you an idea. You can do it differently if you are feeling a bit awkward to do it just like what I described,” Handyman Oppa said as she can sense the girl is not feeling too good to follow her suggestion.

”It’s already perfect, oppa. I can’t think of anything else. If you don’t mind, I’m going to do it as you suggested,” Yerin looks at Handyman Oppa’s eyes with sparkles in her eyes.

”Yes. I don’t mind. I just think about it when you asked me about it. Don’t worry. No dibs. You can just do it. Best of luck, Yerin.” Handyman Oppa repeats her approval, tapping the girl’s shoulder a few times.

Yerin smiles happily. She wanted to go back home but stayed with Handyman Oppa when the older woman suggested that they should watch the sunrise together since it’s in just a few minutes. They enjoy the view in silence. They have been silent ever since Handyman Oppa gave Yerin the green light to use her idea to propose to SinB.

****

SinB accidentally saw Handyman Oppa walking towards their practice room when she just got back from the toilet. She walks faster, almost running, hoping that the older woman didn’t notice her and she could get to the room without bumping into the woman. SinB walks so fast that she bumped into a girl, who is a trainee at their company. She bows and apologises to the girl who just smiles happily adoring their encounter.

Then SinB looks back, trying to find Handyman Oppa who she just saw at the building's entrance a few moments ago. The woman is not there. She looks around and couldn’t find the woman anywhere. SinB sighs in relieved. She continues walking towards the practice room and was about to faint, startled by the voice calling her name. Standing in front of her is Handyman Oppa, smiling at her.

”Are you avoiding me? Because if you are, I’m going to let you go then.” Handyman Oppa asks as soon as SinB regains her composure.

”What? No. I am not.” SinB said, stuttering as she was flustered by Handyman Oppa’s accurate guess.

”Oh? Seems like it. Lately, we hardly see each other.” Handyman Oppa said in her usual calm voice.

”We still text and call as usual. Aren’t you the one always spending time with Eunha. She seems to be spending a lot of nights at your place. And you are here picking her up to go out shopping aren’t you?” SinB said with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

”Excuse me, missy. I asked you out yesterday, you said you are busy. I asked you to go out for breakfast last week and you said you are not hungry. I came here with lunch but no one seems to know where you are. Do you want to go out tomorrow?” Handyman Oppa asks, still wearing the same warm smile on her face.

SinB doesn’t say anything. She looks around except for Handyman Oppa’s face. SinB cannot say no, then it would be confirming the older woman’s guess which is true. She doesn’t think she wanted to spend time alone with Handyman Oppa just yet. She misses her oppa, yes. She wants to spend time with Handyman Oppa because they are going to be super busy right after they come back from Japan next week.

However, she still feels uneasy to spend time with her. It’s all because of the kiss. Not the one that Handyman Oppa forced her lips onto hers, but the one she shares with Yerin. To be exact, the making out session in the morning in the bathroom. Until today, she still smiles unconsciously whenever she goes into the bathroom. 

”You are busy. Got it. It’s okay.” Handyman Oppa answers her own question when SinB just stands there without a word coming out from .

”Oppa...can I ask you something?” SinB asks.

”Yeah.” Handyman Oppa said as she smiles at SinB. The smile that she longs to see.

”Are you still going to be with me if something happens. Like...after I get married and have kids...” SinB asks a question which even she is surprised with it. 

”Of course. I will always be with you. Why would I leave my wife and kids?” Handyman Oppa responded in all seriousness, causing SinB’s face to immediately reddened.

”Oppa!” SinB screams shyly at the older woman and smacks her arm.

”I’m serious. I wouldn’t leave my wife and kids’ side. But...how-how many kids are we talking about? Two? Three? I think three is more than enough.” Handyman Oppa said, taking a big step, closing the gap between SinB and her.

”Stop joking, oppa.” SinB said, still looking down at her feet. She is still blushing as Handyman Oppa was looking straight into her eyes when she answered SinB’s question.

”Oh? So it will be just the two of us? No kids? I’d love that.” Handyman Oppa said it happily although SinB looks like she could faint any moment now seeing her face is so red.

”Okay. Okay. I’m stopping now.” Handyman Oppa said, lifting both her arms surrendering when SinB gives her the infamous pinch on her stomach. Handyman Oppa always gives in to SinB whenever the girl did that because it is so painful that she can’t handle it. SinB would pinch her stomach, pull the flesh a bit and twist them. It hurts like hell.

”I will always be with you. No matter what happens, where you at, who are you with.” said Handyman Oppa in her low, deep voice as she takes SinB’s hand and puts it on her chest.

”I’m here. And will always be here.” Handyman Oppa repeats her words as she puts her hand on top of SinB’s that she placed on the girl’s chest.

Then, Handyman Oppa takes SinB’s hand and places it on her chest. ”This, it’s beating for you. Can you hear it? Sin-B. Sin-B. Sin-B. My heart is beating your name.” Handyman Oppa looks into SinB’s eyes when she says it.

”Well...my name is not SinB.” SinB said as she tries to get her hand off the older woman’s chest while her eyes wander around, avoiding Handyman Oppa’s intense, full of love’s gaze.

”Eun-Bi. Eun-Bi. Eun-Bi.” Handyman Oppa said still firmly holds the girl’s hand on her chest.

”That’s Eunha’s name.” SinB said, looking away as she feels a pang of jealousy when she heard Handyman Oppa said the name. Although that is also her name, she got jealous of Eunha from time to time. It’s because the older girl is close to Handyman Oppa and they spent a lot of time together, Eunha even spent nights at the oppa’s place.

”Hwang-Eunbi. Hwang-Eunbi. Hwang-Eunbi. But mostly it beats Yoe-bo. Yoe-bo. Yoe-bo.” Handyman Oppa said and touches the tip of SinB’s nose, aware that the girl is jeaolus.

”Yoebo, are we jealous of Eunha? Do you want me to cancel her dinner plan with me?” Handyman Oppa said as she lets go of SinB’s hand after the girl has been trying to pull it away from her chest.

SinB breath in, relieved when Handyman Oppa finally lets go of her hand. But, not for too long. The older woman’s hand is now wrapping around her waist. She just let her as SinB knew trying to wiggle her way out of it would be useless because the older woman is way stronger than she is. Plus, she always feels secure and comfortable in Handyman Oppa’s embrace.

”I’m not. Don’t. You shouldn’t cancel your plan without a valid reason.” SinB said fiddling with the collar of Handyman Oppa’s shirt.

”I have a reason. Right here. You. You will always be the reason I’m doing something.” Handyman Oppa looks at SinB with her eyes full of love and sincerity to which the younger girl doesn’t respond.

The always stay like this. Handyman Oppa holding SinB not too close, and not too far from her but close enough for them to feel each other’s heartbeat. The time pass by just like that when SinB is in Handyman Oppa’s gentle embrace. But this time, it’s actually very short. Not more than two minutes, they were greeted by Yuju and Umji’s laughter. Upon hearing the girls’ voice becoming nearer, SinB slowly backs away from Handyman Oppa which she was thankful because the older woman didn’t resist her.

”Thought you would bump into oppa. She texted Eunha five minutes ago but hasn’t shown up.” Yerin said to SinB, trying her best to hide her jealousy.

”Ready, SinB?” Yerin asks while handing SinB her jacket.

”Ahh. You’re going out too?” Handyman Oppa asks SinB to which the girl just nods her head slowly as she takes the jacket from Yerin.

”Eunha, do you really have to go with oppa?” Sowon asks her girlfriend still holding onto Eunha’s hand firmly.

”You are going out too. Enjoy the movie.” Eunha said as she looks at Sowon with her kind eyes.

”You can come with us. We’ll go and buy the things you want after the movie,” Sowon persuaded Eunha, still doesn’t want to let go of the girl’s hand.

”Let’s go Umji, Sowon unnie doesn’t want to hang out with us now that she has a girlfriend...” said Yuju sadly before taking Umji’s hand and walks towards the building’s entrance.

”Unnie, the kids want to hang out with you. Go and have fun. It’s not like I’m going anywhere...” Eunha said, manages to grab Yuju’s hand halting her and Umji from leaving them.

”You are right, Yuju unnie. Sowon unnie doesn’t like to play with us anymore. I thought she is our unnie...”Umji said pouting her lips, pretending to be very sad with Sowon.

”Umji-yah...Yerin is your unnie too.” Sowon said looking at Umji, pouting as well.

”Unnie is right, Umji. I am your unnie too.” Yerin said, pouting as well, making a trio of pouting mouth girls in the hallway.

”Well...going out with Yerin unnie will always end up at the samgyeopsal place. Our condolences are with you, SinB,” said Umji casually causing everyone to laugh.

”The kids want you Sowon. Go. Just go,” Handyman Oppa jokingly waving her hand asking Sowon to leave.

”It’s not where you are going, it’s who are you going with.” Sowon glares at Handyman Oppa who is grinning at her.

”ooppappa naega ni oppaya, ooppappa naega ni oppaya, ni oppaya!  Handyman Oppa just responded by singing the song ’Ring ring’ by Kim Yong-chul and make the girls laugh except for Sowon who’s sticking her tongue out at the woman.

”Make sure you pay for her dinner!” Sowon glares at Handyman Oppa.

”Wae?” Handyman Oppa asks Sowon, resenting the girl’s order.

”Yah! Be a gentleman and pay for dinner. A gentleman should pay for the girl. You know what? Forget that. Pay for everything! Everything she wanted to buy, pay for them.” Sowon shoots a deadly glare at the older woman.

”Unnie, oppa always pay for everything. Don’t worry.” Eunha said as she her girlfriend’s arm.

”She didn’t pay for me the last time we went out for lunch.” Sowon complaints.

”You are not a girl.” Handyman Oppa said casually as if it is nothing wrong with what she said.

”Stop teasing her, oppa...” said Eunha as she smacks the older woman’s forearm.

Just right after Eunha finishes her sentence, a high cut canvas shoe is flying at Handyman Oppa at a high speed and lands on the woman’s shirt. Everyone is shocked by what just happened and look at Sowon who is standing with only one foot on the floor as her other shoe is currently in Handyman Oppa’s hand.

”Unnie!” all five girls exclaimed in shock.

Sowon just ignores the stares and the scream. She walks towards Handyman Oppa casually and takes her shoe that is in the older woman’s hand while saying, ”I’m a girl too.” 

SinB and Eunha helps to dust the dirt on Handyman Oppa’s shirt around the woman’s abdomen that was transferred from Sowon’s shoe.

”Who throws a shoe at people?” Handyman Oppa stick her tongue out at Sowon.

”Oppa, stop teasing her,” said Eunha smacking Handyman Oppa’s abdomen before turns around looking at Sowon and say, ”and you should get going or you are going to miss the movie.”

”Pay for e-ve-ry-thing!” Sowon once again says it to Handyman Oppa.

”Aih. Arasso. I will. I’ll pay for you girls too then.” Handyman Oppa talked back to Sowon and fishes out a few 50 000-won notes and handed to the girl. 

”Unnie...” Umji said as her eyes and mouth open wide when Sowon took the money from Handyman Oppa.

”Now, kids. When people give you money, you should be polite and take it. Alright. Let’s go to the mall. With this money, we might as well have dinner at a nice restaurant and go shopping too.” Sowon grabs Umji’s and Yuju’s hands, walking towards the entrance while bidding her farewell at Handyman Oppa, Eunha, Yerin and SinB.

Handyman Oppa chuckles seeing Sowon’s shameless act and turns to look at Yerin. She gives the girl the look and before she could ask, Yerin immediately say, ”I got it all covered, oppa. A gentleman always pays for her girl. We’ll take our leave first.” 

Handyman Oppa just smiles and puts up her hand, sending the two girls with her eyes. Then she takes Eunha’s bag from the girl’s hand and asks the girl if she is ready to leave. Eunha just nods her head and hold onto Handyman Oppa’s forearm before walking in the same direction as the other girls.

SinB steals a glance at Handyman Oppa and Eunha. She frowns a bit. It is not an unusual scene for her but seeing Handyman Oppa so close with Eunha always make her jealous. Especially when Handyman Oppa treats Eunha the same way she treats her. Carrying her bag, walks hand in hand, opens the door for her and buckles the seatbelt for her. Only one thing is different, Handyman Oppa never walks and holds the girl’s hand with their fingers interlaced with anyone else except for SinB. And SinB always love Handyman Oppa for that.

”Oppa, I see you drive your big car today.” Sowon greeted Handyman Oppa when the woman and Eunha stop at where she and the other girls are standing.

”I’m guessing you want me to drop you guys at the mall and you two at the samgyeopsal place.” Handyman Oppa shoots a not-surprised look at Sowon and Yerin.

”Of course. I’m not spending the money you gave me for a taxi.” Sowon said as she starts walking towards Handyman Oppa’s car without waiting for the answer.

”Are the mall and the restaurant is on your way, oppa?” Asks SinB as they walk towards to the parking lot.

”It’s on your unnie’s way. SinB, you can sit in the front with me.” Handyman Oppa said as she pushes the button on her remote control, unlocking her 7-seater SUV.

”Eunha should sit in the passenger’s seat. She’s going with you. Otherwise, she would have to move when you drop us at the restaurant. It’s going to be a hassle, oppa.” Yerin immediately pulls Eunha’s hand from Sowon and push her towards the door that Handyman Oppa had open for SinB just now. She takes SinB hand and leads her to the other side of the car.

Handyman Oppa and Eunha both shrug their shoulder and get into the car without saying anything. SinB and Sowon, both eyeing in jealousy Handyman Oppa who is doing her routine of pulling and buckle in the seatbelt for Eunha. 

Sowon kisses Eunha’s cheek after she gets off the car and warned Handyman Oppa before she leaves, ”don’t get her home too late.” 

Ting!

Eunha opens the text message she just got from her girlfriend. She reads the message and then looks at Handyman Oppa before typing her reply. 

”I’ll be spending the night at your place tonight, oppa,” said Eunha as she types her reply to Sowon’s text message.

Handyman Oppa puts down her chopsticks and shoots a questioning look at Eunha upon hearing the girl’s sudden decision. Eunha just responded by showing the text message she got to Handyman Oppa. Handyman Oppa nods, understanding Eunha’s reason and starts eating her food back.

****

Yerin opens the door of the samgyeopsal’s restaurant that she likes to go for SinB like a gentleman. She leads the girl to a table at the back of the restaurant so they got a bit of privacy. Yerin orders two servings of her favourite dish and asks SinB if she wants something else. SinB just orders a fried rice and drinks for them to share.

”Let me do it. You just sit there comfortably and wait for the food, okay?” Yerin said as she takes the thong from SinB who is ready to grill the meat.

Yerin puts the meat on the griller, cuts them once they are done and put them on the plate for SinB. While waiting for another piece of meat to be cooked, she eats and feeds SinB the cooked meat. For two hours that they were there, Yerin treated SinB like a princess. She doesn’t let SinB do anything except chewing her food and eat them. Yerin called a taxi ten minutes before they are done eating so SinB wouldn’t have to wait long for the taxi in cold.

After they finish eating, Yerin goes to the sink to wash her hands and to the counter to pay for the food while letting SinB wait for her at the table. She smiles as she is happy that up to now, the night went smoothly as she planned. Yerin mentally ticks the items she had in her list. Tonight is important to her that she took three days to plan and prepare for tonight. She even made a list to a T. And every time she completed the tasks on the list she will put a tick at the end of the task and crossed it out. Yerin didn’t bring the list with her but she has been preparing for days and she already knows the list by heart.

1. Be a percect gentleman. Chivalry never dies. Do everything courteously. Checked.

2. Buy her dinner. Nothing with pungent smells. Checked.

3. Pay for the food beforehand. Don’t let her wait at the counter while you pay. Checked.

3. Don’t let her wait in the cold for a taxi. Called the taxi ahead. Checked.

4. Helped put on her jacket before leaving the restaurant. Carry her bag for her. Remember, treats her in a most chivalrous way.

5. Take her home after dinner if she doesn’t want to go anywhere else. Pray that she doesn’t want to go anywhere so you can spend more time together.

Yerin looks at SinB and asks if she is ready to leave to which she just nods her head and stands up. Yerin smiles at SinB and hold out her hand to SinB who gladly accepted it. They both walk hand in hand leaving the restaurant, once again led by Yerin. As soon as Yerin closes the door behind her, she turns to SinB and asks, ”do you want to go home or you want to walk around first?” 

”It’s still early, I thought we can walk a bit. But didn’t you you already called the taxi?” 

As soon as SinB finishes her sentence, a taxi pulled over in front of them. The driver winds down his window and asks Yerin, ”Miss Jung?”. SinB nods her head and walks towards the taxi. Yerin got flustered and jogs towards the taxi, getting the door for SinB, shocking her soon-to-be-girlfriend. Yerin grinning at SinB and opens the door for the girl. SinB slides in and Yerin follows her.

”Where to?” asked the taxi driver.

Yerin thinking hard where can they go because SinB said she wanted to go for a walk. But, at this time, her brain is shutting down on her and she couldn’t come up with anything. Before Yerin knows it, SinB already told the taxi driver their home address. The taxi driver hummed his response and starts driving. Yerin mentally cursing herself.

Aih...you should’ve asked her before calling the taxi.

SinB stares out the window without saying anything. Yerin tries to come up with something to talk but then decides to let SinB get lost in her thought. After all, they are going back to an empty house and the night is still early, so they have plenty of time to talk. Yerin smiles thinking about what she has prepared for SinB at home. Her heart thumps harder when she imagines what she would do and feeling even more nervous thinking about how SinB would react.

Yerin clenching her stomach, suddenly feeling something churning in her stomach. She tries to think what could make her stomach feels like this. She never feels like this before. Yerin can’t figure out what is it. She is definitely sure that this is not a nature call, and she is not hungry as well. Yerin got lost in her thought trying to figure out her stomach that she didn’t notice the taxi has stopped right in front of their apartment’s building. She realises it only when SinB nudges her stomach. Yerin quickly says thank you and gets out of the taxi with SinB.

”Are you okay? You seem distracted.” SinB asks while they are waiting for the lift.

”I’m okay. Don’t worry.” Yerin said smiling happily at SinB and link arms with the girl.

”SinB, you can use the bathroom first.” Yerin said as soon as they enter the house.

SinB smiles kindly at Yerin’s suggestion and goes to her room, then to the bathroom. Yerin runs to her room to prepare for the most important event in her life. She takes out the ring box from her drawer and ties the string around it, but it doesn’t look good. So, Yerin takes out the ring from the box and ties it to the string. She attached the string to the balloon that she bought yesterday. Yerin smiles, proud of herself.

Yerin looks up to her ceiling and sees a lot of stars glued to it. She already did that the night before and just giggles when Sowon told her that they glow at night, making it difficult for her to fall asleep. Yerin didn’t tell Sowon her plan to propose to SinB tonight and plans to just ask the girl to sleep with Eunha. But, seeing that Sowon is still at the cinema watching a movie with the girls, Yerin didn’t have to. Yerin happily whistles as she takes out a transparent plastic with messages written on it from an envelope she kept in her drawer. 

There is also a piece of paper with the same message written on it. Although Yerin really loves Handyman Oppa’s idea, she wanted to propose to SinB using her own idea. So, she altered the oppa’s idea a bit. She originally wanted to put the paper on SinB’s bed and hides the ring under her pillow. Then she thought who would want to read a piece of paper in the dark. If SinB reads them with the lights on, she can still see the letters but it’s not as pretty as if she reads it in the dark when all the letters glow. Plus, SinB might just go to bed without even reads the paper or couldn’t find the ring. And when SinB reads her message, Yerin might not be there, then she would have no idea when and how SinB reacted to it. 

As much as Yerin wanted to use her own idea, there are just too many flaws in her idea. That’s how she ended up using the oppa’s idea. So she wrote the message on the transparent plastic that she would glue on the ceiling right above her bed. She lies down on her bed to mark where she should stick message, then proceed to glue it at the perfect spot for SinB to see it when she asks the girl to lie down next to her. For the nth time tonight, Yerin smiles proudly looking at her room. Finally, she ties the balloon at the bed frame on her side which she will lie on and plans to release it after SinB reads the message.

Yerin waits nervously in her room in the dark for SinB to come in. She knows the girl well. SinB would come and get her in her room after she takes a shower and that is when she will ask the girl to join her in her bed. From afar, Yerin could hear the bathroom’s door is being open and then close indicating SinB is done washing up. Yerin’s heart beats ten times faster than usual and it thumps harder when she heard SinB’s footsteps approaching her room.

”Unnie, I’m done,” SinB said as she knocks on Yerin-Sowon’s bedroom’s door but Yerin didn’t answer her. She purposely doesn’t answer the girl’s calling. Yerin is 100% sure that the girl will go and wears her clothes then come into the room to get her. 

After ten minutes, SinB still has not shown up. Yerin begins to wonder if her plan is failing because the girl doesn’t take that long to get ready after a shower in the evening. Yerin sighs. She was about to give up when she heard footsteps approaching. Yerin smiles and prays that it’s SinB that’s coming. Hearing the girl calling her name, Yerin’s lips curled into a smile. She takes a deep breath, preparing herself for the most important thing she going to do in just a few seconds. The door swings open and she greets SinB in the dark, startling the girl.

”Unnie! You scared me!” SinB yells at Yerin and smacks the older girl’s arms. 

Yerin wraps her arms around SinB’s waist as the girl jump at her and smacking her when she greeted the girl earlier. She whispers softly in SinB’s ear, ”don’t be scared, I’m here.”

Although it was a bit dark, Yerin can see that her whispers caused SinB to have goosebumps on her neck. 

”What are you doing in the dark? Turn on the light.” SinB said as she tries to reach for the switch on the wall near them.

”I have something to show you. Let’s go to my bed.” Yerin whispers to SinB.

”Okay,” said SinB before she pushes away Yerin’s arms that are wrapping around her waist. 

SinB turns and squeals as soon as she sees the glow in the dark stars and the balloon. Yerin smiles. She leads SinB to her bed and climbs onto it first, followed by the younger girl. Yerin lies down on her bed and pats the space next to her, telling SinB to lie there. The girl smiles at Yerin and just do as she was asked to. As soon as SinB lies down, Yerin takes her hand and hold it tights. SinB is now facing Yerin and they both smile. Yerin tilts her head a bit, directing SinB’s eyes towards the ceiling. The girl follows Yerin’s gesture and looks at the ceiling.

SinB, I love you. You are everything to me. My life is wonderful because you are with me. I might have fallen a lot when we dance, but I have never fallen so hard in love. Only you can make me fall this hard in love. And I would gladly fall over and over again for you. I love you. I have always do and will always do. I want to be with you, living this wonderful life with you and loving you. I love you, Hwang Eunbi. Will you be mine?

Yerin reads the message she wrote on the plastic she glued to the ceiling in her mind. She waits nervously for SinB to finish reading it so she could release the balloon but the girl didn’t say anything or even move. Yerin then reads it again quietly to herself and assumes that SinB must have finished reading it too and releases the balloon. Yerin flicks the balloon a bit so it would float in front of SinB. 

When she sees SinB’s head turns to her right a bit following the balloon, Yerin is sure that the girl is not sleeping and has read the message. SinB just stares at the ring without saying anything and don’t even touch the ring floating in front of her. Yerin thought she should give SinB some time to get her sense back as she assumes the girl might be shocked by what she just read. 

Yerin’s heart beats faster and harder as she nervously waits for SinB’s answer. Time passes by and for Yerin every second of it feels like a hundred years. Her heartbeats begin to slow down to a point she thinks it stops for a moment. She then remembers what Handyman Oppa said to her that night. Yerin takes a deep breath, embracing the possibility. She looks down at their hands, still holding onto one another firmly. Then, slowly she turns to her left and gently pulls SinB’s face to look at her. Yerin smiles.

”You don’t have to give me the answer right now. Take all the time you need, I will always be here whenever you are ready to give me an answer.” Yerin tries her best not to stutter and kisses SinB’s forehead gently. 

Yerin reaches for the ring and she unties it from the string. Then, she fishes out the ring box that she keeps under her pillow. Yerin puts the ring back into the box and closes it after a short stare at it. She takes SinB’s hand and puts the box in the girl’s hand. Again, Yerin smiles at SinB who has not said a word ever since she read the message on the ceiling. Yerin couldn’t tell what is SinB’s face telling her because the girl doesn’t smile nor break into tears.

”Do you want to go to bed or watch TV? It’s still early.” Yerin asks SinB in a feigned cheerful voice.

When SinB doesn’t say anything, Yerin decides to get up and go to the living room to watch the TV. As Yerin was about to get up, SinB grabs her wrist, stopping her from getting off the bed. Yerin is getting hopeful again, seeing that SinB finally moves thinking that the girl already has her answer. 

”Let’s go to bed, can we?” SinB asks.

Yerin nods her head and smiles. She lies down on the bed. Then, SinB put the box in her hand under her pillow. She turns to her left, her back is facing Yerin’s side. Yerin sighs a bit and closes her eyes. SinB takes her hand and rested them on the side of her body. The girl scoots back a bit, closing the gap between her body and Yerin’s. SinB once again takes Yerin’s arm and wraps it around her body. Yerin although doesn’t understand if this is SinB’s answer just hugs SinB as she usually does. 

Yerin is wondering what is the meaning behind SinB’s action. Is this a yes or a no? SinB took her hand and wraps it around her body, telling Yerin to hug her. Then again, this is how they always sleep whenever they are sleeping together. Yerin tries to close her eyes to sleep but she can’t seem to fall asleep. Her eyes are wide open as her mind keeps working, thinking about SinB’s answer and when is she going to give her her answer. Yerin lost track of time how long has she been staring at SinB’s back when suddenly SinB turns around facing her.

”Will you give me some time?” SinB said looking into Yerin’s eyes.

”You can have all the time in the world, love,” Yerin responded and smiles at the love of her life before kissing the girl’s forehead.

”I’m sorry I can’t give you the answer right now. And I don’t know when can I give you the answer.” SinB said, sounding more guilty than she was earlier.

”Nothing to be sorry for. I love you and will always love you. You are not at fault. And I promise you that I’m going to work harder than I already am to prove to you how much I love and care for you-” 

”No.” SinB cuts Yerin mid-sentence as the girl is fired, telling the girl her resolution. Yerin has thought about it and she decided to do everything she can do to shower SinB with love that the girl wouldn’t even have to think more about her proposal and accepted her to be her girlfriend. 

”It’s not you. You have done more than enough. It’s m-” 

Now, Yerin cuts SinB mid-sentence by gently places her index finger on the girl’s lips. 

”You are already perfect. I love you.” Yerin smiles and leans closer to SinB’s face but stops when SinB turns her face away.

”Can we not?” SinB looks at Yerin, with her eyes pleading for Yerin’s understanding.

”Yes. I won’t do that until you give me your answer.” Yerin smiles and gently pinches SinB’s nose.

SinB smiles scrunching her nose because Yerin pinched her nose. Yerin chuckles looking at the SinB’s cute face, unknowingly making Yerin falls for her for the nth time. 

”Why are you laughing at me?” SinB asks in an angry voice while pouting her lips.

”You look cute when you do that,” said Yerin and continues smiling at SinB.

Ting!

SinB and Yerin both startled by the sound coming from SinB’s phone that she puts under her pillow. They both laugh seeing how they reacted to the sound. SinB fishes out her phone and reads the name of the sender of the text message she just received. The girl stares at it for a few seconds and her sweet smiles slowly fade and Yerin could guess who is the sender smiles at SinB and says, ”it’s okay, you can reply oppa’s text. Nothing’s changed.” 

Yerin sits up and just as she tries to gets down from the bed, SinB holds her wrist, stopping her from continue moving.

”Oppa just texted me goodnight and letting me know Eunha unnie is staying at her place tonight.” SinB said as she shows her phone to Yerin who just take a short glances at it.

Yerin smiles at the girl and kisses her fingers and then softly touches SinB’s forehead with the fingers.

”I need to pee and I haven’t washed up. Be back in a few minutes. I love you.”

”You can kiss me on the forehead and cheeks like you usually do. You don’t have to do this, nothing’s changed, right? said SinB quietly and sadly, almost inaudible, looking down at her fingers.

Yerin smiles and bends down, gently kisses SinB’s forehead. Then she ruffles SinB’s hair causing the girl to smile before she crosses over SinB’s body to get off her bed and to the toilet. 

”Love you too,” SinB said shyly and quietly, probably not meant for Yerin to hear them. Yerin’s lips curled into a smile, happy to hear those new words coming out from SinB’s mouth when the girl usually responded with just ’me too’. Hearing the word ’love’ from SinB’s mouth tonight is a blessing for Yerin.

****