Can’t this person dance?

Do you love me?

“Are you ready??!!!” Solar, the pink-coloured hair, cheerful vocalist of a popular girl group idol, Mamamoo scream her lungs out to the audiences. 

“Yeah!!!” 

Solar, MoonByul, Wheein and Hwasa sing and dancing to their songs. So ome of the audiences were singing and dancing along with them. Although the responses from the audiences were not as loud as they used to, it is not surprising since they are performing at a charity event in a hospital. Over half of the audiences are patients or families of patients in the hospital, but all of them are enjoying their performance especially three people dancing at a corner near the stage.

Solar could not take her eyes of these three people and she kept wondering why does this person dances like that. She thought maybe this person needs some help, so she scream out loud her movement while she dances. 

“Your right hand up. Your left foot up.”

Still, this person is doing the opposite. When she raised her right hand up, this person would raised the left hand up. Throughout ten minutes of their performance, this person does everything in the opposite way. Solar was distracted by this person’s dancing. If you can call it dancing. Because this person was just flailing all four limbs and was not in rhythm with the song. Although the boy dancing beside this person was not a good dancer, at least he was moving the right limbs and was moving slightly smoother than the middle-aged woman and this person.

At the end of the performance, the girls are preparing for a meet and greet session with the patients watching their performance. Solar was the first to ask the other members if they saw this person who seems to dance awkwardly and in the total opposite direction as everybody else. To her surprise, only MoonByul noticed this person and said that probably this person have some problems as they are in a hospital. So, probably this person is one of the patients. Solar nodded her head a few times while thinking what could that be? Does this person have problems with his or her brain. Oh yeah, although Solar was eyeing this person for almost the whole performance, she could not figure out whether this person is a he or a she. When they were preparing for the meet and greet session, Solar could not find this person anywhere. For some reason, she wanted to meet this person and was hoping this person would stay for the meet and greet session. She asked the other members if they had seen this person and none of them know. Hwasa jokingly asked her if she wanted to meet this person and scold the person for the awkward dancing moves. Wheein then acted out a scene where she is beating Hwasa who is pretending to be that person. She just say she wouldn’t do such thing and just say she was curious of this person’s condition.

Although Solar’s eyes were still wandering around the room trying to find the person who can’t dance earlier, she still interacts with the patients who were also fans of Mamamoo cheerfully and warmly. She asked whether they enjoy their performance and wish them the best and to be strong despite their conditions which mostly was suffering from long-term health conditions. Her eyes then finally lights up brightly and her lips curled to a wide smile when she finally see the person she wanted to meet. 

The person was talking to the boy and the middle-aged woman who Solar has seen during the performance. There was also a man in a white cot talking to the three of them and although Solar could not hear their conversation, she could see that they were demonstrating gestures of shaking hand, kissing and hugging. They seem like they were arguing over something or suggesting but they soon settled down when the boy something. 

Unconsciously Solar kept turning her head towards the ‘awkward dancing’ person whenever she had a chance in between the fam moving from sitting in front of her to the seat in front of MoonByul. Their eyes meet for the first time and both of them exchange a smile. Then for the nth time Solar was looking at the person and this time Solar could feel that her face is blushing out of embarrassment as the person winks at her. She was saved by MoonByul’s tap on her shoulder asking her to post for the fan who was taking a picture with all four Mamamoo’s members.

It was just for a few seconds for the fan to take a picture and when Solar turn around, she lost sight of that person, again. 

“Why is that boy skipping his turn? He let about five people pass him.” Solar asks her manager when she see that the boy keep asking the people standing behind him in the line to pass him even though it was his turn to get the signature from Hwasa.

Solar nodded her head a few times when the man who was waiting in the line with the boy came and explains to her the reason the boy kept letting people pass his turn.

The boy is a big fan of Mamamoo and he has some issues with interacting with people. Apparently he needed some time to calm himself and he is still rehearsing what he should say and do when he greet the Mamamoo members. Finally, when there is no one left in the line, the boy accompanied by the middle-aged woman who is his mother and his therapist came to the table. First was Hwasa and he was able to say what he had practiced successfully and it went quite smooth with Wheein and MoonByul as well. However, as he really like Solar, he was flustered and couldn’t say what he had practice. Solar just smile at him and reassured him that he can take his time to calm down and say what he wanted to. He finally managed to greet Solar and ask if he can take a picture with her. 

**********

All four Mamamoo members decided that they wanted to know more about the boy’s condition and they asked the therapist if he has some time to talk to them. Soon after they had their lunch, the four of them walk to a room located near the hall where they just performed.

The therapist explains to them that the boy has a neurodevelopmental disoder and some of the challenges he face are he does not like to be in a crowded places, he have trouble talking to people as he was only able to speak after two years receiving speech therapist’s treatment. Solar was asking a lot of questions and the therapist was happily answers her questions. Since the therapist is also a fan of Mamamoo, he end up talking more about Mamamoo’s songs and schedules after he has explained the boy’s condition.

”Ouh, I’m sorry. I guess you have scheduled a maintenance job this afternoon. Sorry that we bothered you.” Solar was ready to stand and leave the room when someone comes into the room carrying a step ladder.

”What? Maintenance?” Ask the now confused therapist.

”The handyman ajhussi just came in, he must have some maintenance work to do in your office. We should get going...” Solar explains as she pointed her hand towards the person in blue overall who is now walking towards them.

”Ahjussi? Ahjussi? Emmm...”

Upon hearing the person in the blue overall’s voice, the therapist stood up abruptly as if there was a torn pricking his buttock.

”Emmm... oppa? Oppa...Handyman Oppa? I’m sorry. Sorry.” Solar was flustered when she heard the person repeatedly said ahjussi as if he was offended by it.

“That sounds good. I like it. Handyman Oppa. Okay then. Handyman Oppa it is.” The person nodded a few times while taking a sit on the couch in front of Solar, besides the man who is standing.

”I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you came in. Ppproo-“

The person in the blue overall turn around to face the man who is sweating profusely with a face that has loss all its colour. 

“You wouldn’t have notice me coming as you have four beautiful people sitting in front of you. And with those angelic voice, you wouldn’t have heard me coming. It’s okay.” Handyman Oppa just smile at him.

”Are you leaving? Why are you still standing? You can continue your conversation. Mind if I join you ladies?” Handyman Oppa turn to face Solar, MoonByul, Wheein and Hwasa that are still puzzled with who is this person that just came in the room and casually sit in front them.

The therapist sits down and introduces the person in the blue overall to the members of the Mamamoo. Solar was especially suprised when she heard the introduction and when this person takes off the black cap and place it on the table revealing a good looking face with calm,soft looking eyes and a long hair? This person has a medium-length black hair with parts of the hair was tied in a bun.

“You. You are the one who dance awkwardly just now. You are a woman?” Solar blurted out what she was thinking loudly.

Solar was blushing when the said person just smile at her upon hearing the words she accidentally blurted out. 

MoonByul nudge Solar from the side. She immediately apologise for the things that Mamamoo’s leader said.

”We are sorry Prof. She didn’t mean that.” Hwasa also appologise.

”No. It’s okay. And you don’t have to call me that. Handyman Oppa, I like this name given by Miss Solar. Uhh, I’m sorry I am such a bad dancer, and just now I was purposely moving the opposite body parts as I was implementing one of the intervention techniques with the boy. But, normally I don’t dance, so, yeah...I do move my body awkwardly. Sorry about that. Aannnddd... I really like you girls. Do you think you can sign my t-shirt?” 

Handyman Oppa undo the overall zipper, revealing the white long sleeve t-shirt underneath the overall. She put her right arm forward and place it on the coffee table in front of her and Mamamoo members. 

“Umm.. yes, sure?” Wheein who is still puzzled responded to the request with an unsure yes.

After a few minutes of chatting, all four members of Mamamoo begin to talk at ease. They even laugh out loud to one of the jokes that Handyman Oppa said nonchalantly. They were taken aback at first when the person in front of them who is a professor working at this university hospital dressed up like a handyman and asked them to talk informally with her. Solar is still blushing from what she said earlier, and now her face is really red and seem like it was about to explode laughing to the joke. 

“I still can get my t-shirt sign by your girls, right? I’m sorry I had to leave after the performance because I have another client scheduled. And that is also the reason why I am wearing this overall. We were doing some woodwork during the therapy session.” Handyman Oppa explains her disappearance and appearance. 

“Your t-shirt will be ruin then...” Wheein asked to get an assurance for Handyman Oppa. 

“It’s okay. I don’t mind. Plus, it would be more special. I won’t wear this t-shirt after this. Go ahead, sign anywhere you want.” Handyman Oppa proceed to sit on the coffee table to get closer to the first korean girl group idol she ever fangirling over.

Wheein was the one that starts signing the t-shirt’s left arm. Then Hwasa stood up and move to around the table to sign the back side of the t-shirt. MoonByul signs the right arm. 

“Well, all other parts of me are already been signed. This left you with only my heart then Miss Solar.” Handyman scoots a bit to the left to sit right in front of Solar. She winks at Solar while handing her the pen.

Handyman Oppa pulls both her hands towards the back that opens up her chest, providing a wide area for Solar to sign her t-shirt. Solar didn’t move an inch. Her face was red as wine, she was blushing and ends up looking at the floor. 

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to force you. You don’t have to sign my t-shirt if you don’t want to.” 

Handyman Oppa just smile and stand up, ready to sit back at the couch behind the table. Solar lifts her head up and as she about to say something, their manager knock on door that was left open. They have to leave now as it was getting late and they don’t want to be stuck in the traffic jam.

Solar slowly stands up and she wanted to say something to Handyman Oppa about signing her t-shirt, but her manager is asking them to quickly say thank you and goodbye. So they all just say thank you and bid the therapist good bye. They were surprised and repeatedly said to the professor that she doesn’t have to walk them out. 

“It’s okay. I’ll walk you girls out. This is just me. I just like to do this.” Handyman Oppa just smile and gesture her hand forward, asking the girls to start walking. Hwasa and Wheein lead the group leaving the room. 

Solar deliberately walk slowly and let MoonByul pass her so she could walk beside Handyman Oppa. She felt guilty that she did not sign Handyman Oppa’s t-shirt just now as she was syartled by the Oppa’s suggestion.

”Emm...prof-“Solar carefully arranging her words but was cut off by the person walking on her left.

”You don’t have to call me that. I didn’t even ask my students and clients to call me that.” 

Solar frowned and turn around to face the person, “what do I call you then?”

”Anything you want besides Prof. Handyman Oppa...oppa...D... or even Yoebo. It’s up to you.” 

For the nth time, Solar’s face turns red. And this amuses Handyman Oppa that causes her laugh. She likes to tease people and joke around with those cheesy lines.

Solar’s heart is racing, it beats so fast that she think her heart could actually jumps out of her chest. She could not say anything and they just walk in silence. These four short steps felt like the longest walk she ever had in her life. She didn’t even lift her head, if anyone sees her, they might think she was guilty of something or a really shy person. 

“I am really sorry for today. For calling you a handyman... for not signing your tshirt. And thank you for your hospitality. I can send you a signed CD if that is okay with you?” Solar finally mustered enough energy to say those words but still couldn’t face the person on her left.

”I would love to have that CD. But, the price of the tshirt with only three Mamamoo members would not be as high as with complete four members’ signatures. So...”

”What?! You going to sell that tshirt?” Solar was angry upon hearing that and she finally lifted her head to look at Handyman Oppa that is taller than her by probably 3 or 4 cm. Seeing Handyman Oppa just smile happily making her angrier.

”You look even prettier when you are angry. I am not going to sell it, but I really like to have your signature. Or you can just give me your number instead?” Handyman Oppa extends her right palm to Solar and smile at her.

”Unnie! Quick! We will stuck in the traffic jam if we don’t move now.” Hwasa yell from the their van that was only a few metres from where Solar and Handyman Oppa were standing.

Solar just bows her head and bid Handyman Oppa goodbye without saying anything. But within seconds, a name card was placed in her hand. She smiles and run to the van.

”Don’t run, you might fall.” Solar’s heart beats even faster when she heard those words yelled by the person who just gave her name card without saying anything.

Her heart works hard today, and for the past hour, it was working harder than when she was dancing and singing in front of the patients and fans. She didn’t know that she could feel that way with a stranger that she just met. Her right hand flips the name card over and over again all the time she was in the van going back to their company’s building. They all read the details printed on the card. 

Handyman Oppa is not korean. Well they can tell that as her complexion is a bit tanned compared to most Koreans, much like Sistar’s Hyorin. They were talking about how they didn’t realise that the person they called Handyman Oppa is actually a woman until she sat in front of them and took off her cap. Wheein said that probably because of her slightly muscular built body making it hard for them to recognise if she is a man or a woman.

Solar just nodded her head and say ‘ne’ a few times while listening to their conversation. Her mind was preoccupied with the smile, the wink, the ‘please sign my heart’ gesture, the Yoebo, the ‘give me your number’, the ‘you look prettier when you are angry’, and this name card she is holding in her hand. Solar can’t seem to focus as Handyman Oppa is all over her mind. 

*******

Ten girls who are busy talking and laughing their hearts out gather around once the PD said that they are going to start shooting. All four members of Mamamoo and six members of Gfriend listen to the director’s instruction attentively. One of the game they will play is the ‘hammering the nail’ game. Although they didn’t understand why do they have to play that specific game with one of the staffs, they just nodded their head.

Since the show involved two groups, they were paired with member’s from the other group. Solar is paired with Sowon, the leader of Gfriend. MoonByul is paired with SinB, the main dancer of Gfriend. Hwasa is paired with Umji, the maknae of Gfriend, while Wheein is paired with Yuju. Then the 2jungs - Eunha and Yerin of Gfriend are paired together. They were enjoying the games especially the one where they have to stand on a piece of paper that they have to kept fold to make it smaller. 

They were given some time to take a break before they start the hammering game. As all the girls were talking to each other, the staff prepared the plank with nails for the game. 

“Oppa?” Solar was suprised as she knew the staff that will play the hammering game with them.

”Oppa? Do you know him unnie?” Sowon asked.

”Why are you here?” Solar whisper to the person who is standing on her right as they already started filming for live streaming video.

The production team told them that this game will be for the live streaming as one of the show’s way of promoting the reality show that will be aired in a few weeks. But to Solar surprised, Handyman Oppa is also here and she is one of the staff? She wanted to ask Handyman Oppa why is she here shooting with them but since it is live streaming, she cannot do that. But, the Gfriend members keep asking Solar if she knew this ‘oppa’.

”We’ve met at one of Mamamoo’s performance a few weeks ago.” Solar explains to the girls.

”Oppa, what is your name?” SinB asked.

”Handyman Oppa.” Hwasa answered.

”Huh? That is kind of weird name...Is that really your name?” SinB was not satisfied with that strange name.

”You can call me anything you want. Oppa, Handyman Oppa, D, Yoebo, Darling... it’s up to you.” Handyman Oppa just smile.

The smile didn’t last long, only a second. It was replaced by a frowning forehead while she rubs the side of her body. Both Solar and Sowon’s hand were quick to pinch and slap her.

”I’m sorry.” Handyman Oppa turn to SinB and bowed a little apologising for her behaviour.

They start the game and Handyman Oppa was helping them with the equipments. She handed them the hammer, help them put on their gloves, holding on to the plank while they tried to hammers the nail into the plank in three strikes. 

“Aahhhh. omo omo omo.” All the girls scream as the hammer slipped from SinB’s hand as she was trying to strike the hammer. Luckily, Handyman Oppa managed to grab hold the hammer before it lands on her foot. 

Everyone was shocked. All the girls screamed. SinB stood still. She was too shocked that she could not move a limb.

”SinB, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? Let me see your hand.” 

SinB could not say anything. She just stood there. She didn’t even move when this person who she just met a few minutes ago hold her hand and takes off the gloves.

”Hey, you are okay. Don’t be afraid. Nothing happen. Your hand, all ten of your fingers are alright. Are you okay? Are you hurt somewhere else?”

SinB burst into tears. She lost her footing and about to fall to the ground as she cried harder. Once again, luckily Handyman Oppa is standing in front of her caught her. 

“I’m sorry. Oppa, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m sorry.” SinB keeps repeating she was sorry while crying. 

Handyman Oppa just hug SinB and slowly her back. “I’m not hurt. It’s okay. We all know it’s not your fault. You are not hurt, it’s okay.”

The production crew then asked Sowon to address the viewers and assures them that SinB is fine and ended the live streaming video. Everyone just gather around them in silence. 

“Oppa, why are you crying?” Yerin asked Handyman Oppa when she saw tears coming out of her eyes while SinB’s crying has subsided.

”Oppa, did you get hurt?” SinB let go of Handyman Oppa who has been holding onto her for the past five minutes trying to calm her down.

”You...your foot.” 

SinB quickly take a step back when she realised that she was standing on Handyman Oppa’s foot. As soon as she gets off, Handyman Oppa sits on the ground taking off her shoes. She rubs her foot and let out a long sigh. Everyone bursts into laughter upon seeing Handyman Oppa do that including SinB.

”Thank you Yerin for noticing my tears. Otherwise I’m going to have a flat foot.” 

SinB who is squatting in front of the ‘oppa’ automatically slaps her shoulder. However, because she was squatting, she lost her balance and stumble forward onto the person she just slapped who is readily and casually caught her into her embrace. SinB’s cheeks turn red as soon as their eyes met.

”Are your hand okay? Does it hurt?” Handyman Oppa examining SinB’s hand.

”I’m not that heavy that you would ends up with a flat foot. And why is my hand the one that hurts when I’m the one slapping you? Uwaa. It’s like slapping a brick.” SinB said while hurriedly stand up as she just realised that she was sitting on Handyman Oppa’s lap.

The GFriend’s manager then came and scolded Handyman Oppa saying that she was a nuisance and told her that she should be fired. In the middle of the commotion, the main PD storms in and he keeps repeating the word ‘sorry’ and ‘are you okay’ to SinB. Sowon and the other girls assured him that they are okay. To the girls suprised, upon seeing Handyman Oppa who was still being scolded by the manager and the PDs, the main PD again uttered the word sorry over and over again.

”Prof., are you okay?” The main PD asks when the managers and his fellow PD finally stopped scolding her.

”Prof.?” Once again, the Gfriend members were shocked.

”Don’t worry. I’m alright.” Handyman Oppa assures the main PD.

Solar then explains to the girls who is Handyman Oppa really are, how they met. But she still wondering why is Handyman Oppa is here.

“But, why are you here oppa? What are you doing here?” Solar asked and the main PD also asked the same question.

”Unnie, didn’t you tell her you’re going to be here?” Solar nodded a few times.

”Her?” For the nth time today, the Gfriend’s members were surprised.

Handyman Oppa takes off her white cap and place it on her lap. She then explains that her patient was having an anxiety attack all of the sudden when the production crew was about to start the recording. He was anxious that he would messed up the recording as he just found out the will be playing the game with two of his favourite groups. Then he just left. She originally planned to stay around him during the recording to make sure that everything goes well. Since he just left the set, Handyman Oppa took over his job. 

“Well I gues he was not ready yet.” The main PD said to Handyman Oppa who then explains that he needed some time to adjust to work with people and recommended that the PD talks to her first before deciding to do that to him.

SinB just stares at Handyman Oppa who is talking to their manager and the PDs who scolded her just now. SinB and the other members asked their manager to apologise to her because he was scolding her although nothing happened to SinB. In fact, SinB was saved by the ‘oppa’ because she managed to grab the hammer that could landed on SinB’s feet.

”She is a woman. But then why is my heart feeling like this?” SinB thought to herself trying to figure out why did she feel like there are millions of butterflies roaming in her stomach everytime Handyman Oppa smiles at her, and her heart beats so fast that she couldn’t breathe when this woman-oppa hold her hand. SinB then look at her hand and rubs her right hand that she used to slap Handyman Oppa.

”Your hand, let me see it. I’m sorry that I have hurt you.”

Handyman Oppa hold SinB’s right hand and turn it around checking if it was hurt. She then caress SinB’s hand and blew on it as if it could make it less painful. But right now, it’s not her hand that is in pain. She can’t barely breathe now that Handyman Oppa is blowing and caressing her hand.

”No,it’s okay. I’m okay. It doesn’t hurt that much. No need to be sorry.” SinB pull her hand from Handyman Oppa’s soft grip. 

“It must have hurt when you fall for me. I’m sorry.” 

SinB’s cheek turns red upon hearing Handyman Oppa casually saying those cheesy lines with a smile on her face. 

“Wow! Daebak. Oppa, you have to teach me that. Your pick up lines are really good. I’m going to learn from you how to say all those cheesy and greasy lines.” Yerin claps her hand and both Yerin and Handyman Oppa laugh.

This is how it all begins. Today is the day Handyman Oppa-Gfriend and Mamamoo relationships started. A professor, a woman but being called an oppa and doesn’t mind it, who is cheesy and flirty. This is Handyman Oppa that was able to make the heart of Solar and SinB to fluttered the first time they met.