TWELVE

EGOISM

Third alarm goes off— the real one this time. She learned to set three alarms just in case she overslept and it also make her feel that she was sneaking in an extra half hour of sleep. Being a sleepyhead with busy life is totally hard. She get out of bed, shower, get dressed into her navy blue uniform. She look into the other side of the bed, her husband are still sleeping under the blanket with his shoulder slightly shown. He’s so perfect. She leans forward and kiss his forehead before leaving the bedroom. 

 

Today will be Rae In busiest day because her team is on call and it surely going to be a long day. Her routine as the first year residency in Seoul general hospital will be starting as soon as 5.30 am leaving the house to drive to work. Luckily it's early so traffic isn't horrendous. Being in Seoul City at dawn will be totally different from the crazy night life that it always offered. It is so fresh and calming. What a perfect way to start her day, she thought. 

 

“Good morning Dr Rae In!” The mid 20s girl in the nurse station greets her.

 

She walks towards them with smiles. “Good morning to you too!” She asked, “Tough night Nurse Min?”

 

“Totally” That girl sigh. “Last night that patient from ward 7 have another cardiac arrest. Oh well, I wish good luck for you today” 

 

She went to the coffee vending machine to grab a cup of hot drinks before settling herself down to the nearest table to have her breakfast. She had brought along a bacon sandwich that she made, leaving another pieces for her husband at home. After a few months getting used as an intern at this hospital, she finally can managed her life pretty well. Having most of the day at the hospital and being a wife at the same times required a lot of things. 

 

It was hard at first— but she survived it. Three years at the medical school has completed and now she just need another two years for the residency before becoming a real doctor, what she wanted ever since. Along the three suffering years also has made her become more interesting to be in this medical world and she just had to admit that she didn’t even regret to quit her business major and start over with this. Its worth it. 

 

“Good morning Mr Han” The first patient that she met during her morning round. “Are you feeling better today?” 

 

“So much better after seeing your beautiful face Dr” He flashed a wide smile. 

 

“Awww I like to be the cure for you ahjussi!” She replied excitedly.

 

Rae In is one of the interns that everyone love. She is a hardworking resident who always put the smiles on her face and treats all the patients nicely. She also someone who are very helpful to other interns and doctor in her works, making her one of the best resident that Seoul general hospital had. So far everything is great. She have a great co-workers with enjoyable working environment. After all she can only working in this hospital for her residency only, and soon she have to works for her family hospital after she’s done with it. 

 

Rotation for the residency at several ward department is normal, the department that they serve will be changes from times to times. This three months will their turns to assisting in emergency room, that one department that most interns would avoid. Ambulances come rush in, one by one with different patient and story behind it. Emergency room is in chaos as usual, the nurse and doctor will never know what is coming in through that door. It could be someone with stab wounds, high fever, bus accident victims or an elderly man with pneumonia. Nobody could predict it. Emergency room will never be a peaceful place.

 

“Dr Rae In, there is a new patient just transferred to here” A nurse rushing report the emergency case to her. 

 

Walking with a stethoscope hanging on her neck, just like what a doctor would look like in the drama and her fast steps forward into the emergency room, Rae In ready to start her day. 

 

“Details please Nurse Jang” She said. 

 

Nodded to her instructions, that nurse starting to read the information. “Female patient, high school student reportedly involved in a car crash. She can’t lifted her leg and got bleeding from her head”

 

“Hello patient, can you hear me?” 

 

She started with all the basic operation that she have been learned in the medic school including checking her pulse and breath, checking the other condition of her body parts and some other medical procedures. 

 

“What is the condition of the patient?” Another doctor interrupted them. Rae In let out a relieved sigh when her senior doctor come to monitor the new patient. 

 

“Hello Dr Kwon” She bow at him. “She still unconscious from the car crashed. Pretty bad I must said. Her right leg was broken and I suspect that she had a brain hemorrhage” 

 

He nodded, eyes fixed at the patient. “Have you done performing—-“ 

 

“CT scans? Yes Dr Kwon. From the results it shown a pretty bad condition where it requires an immediate surgery. I already contacted neurosurgical department for further examination” She was quick enough to interrupted his question.

 

“As always, you amazed me Dr Rae In. Good job” He smiles and left. 

 

She bow her head, “Thank you Dr Kwon Jiyong. I’ll work harder”

 

There you go the most kindest male doctor in this hospital, M.D Dr Kwon Jiyong. He is known as the most nicest senior that always help other residency even though he was beyond their expertise level. Not only that, he was so handsome that make him the most wanted male in Seoul general hospital. Perfect guy on earth— that’s what they called him. But off radar guys, he already married to CL, Korean-America top singer. 

 


 

The digital clock on the navigation bar has shown that it was already passed 12 pm when Sehun hopped on his car. His long fingers tapping on the steering, humming to the song that the radio played. It was Ruby Tuesday by The Rolling Stone. Driving down the city with the busy road at this peak hours where everyone went out for lunch, he remains calm despite of the bad traffic. He made his way to the hospital. Not because he’s sick, but because he want to meet his wife. 

 

Having a different career path with both being busy with their jobs cause them to spend more less time together. Sehun being the CEO of his family company often to spend his time at the office and Rae In mostly be in the hospital rather at home. When she is assigned to night shift, she could only see Sehun before he go to the office and when she is having a day shift, she had to wake up early and he will still in bed at the time she left for work. So they sneak this little time that they have to spend time together. 

 

“I bought you your favorite Jajangmyun today. Lunch with me baby?” He said when Rae In approaching him. 

 

“Sure babe” She give him her best smiles. “I’m so happy that you come today” 

 

He hug her, “Are you missing me that much Rae In?”

 

“Yes Sehun. This morning you’re so in a deep sleep. I don’t want to wake up you just to get a morning kiss”

 

“It’s okay baby. I just can give you one right now” He leans in, closing the gap between them. 

 

There are so many eyes that watch them in the cafeteria. Of course they will, it just a very well known Mr Oh Sehun the CEO of Oh Group having a simple cozy lunch date with one of the hospital intern, Dr Rae In. He definitely caught every single ladies attention with his looks. Few years taking over his father position has made him appear more matured and not surprising, becoming more handsome than he already is. 

 

“You look so tired baby” He said while feed her the food, “Long day, is it?” And rub the sauce using his thumb at the corner of .

 

She let out a long sigh. “Kind of. My senior doctor made me write a long case report for his surgery. I barely know anything about it”

 

“Does he....kind of bully my wife?” He pause, “Do I need to just pay someone to make him stop doing that?” 

 

“No, Sehun. You don’t need to do that. Its not that everything could be solve by using money Mr CEO” She glares at him.

 

He chuckles rubbing off her hair making it more messy, “It was a joke Rae In” He smiles again, “You are the best. I’m so proud of you”

 

Sehun almost lost his count on how many times he said that he proud of her, he was proud with her wife achievements and he still are. Maybe he just want to remind the woman in his life that she’s great. He told his wife the truth. He told her he was seeing an amazing woman. A woman who are very understanding, loyal, honest and soon will be a great doctor. Then she told him the truth too— that she was seeing a very young CEO, her credit card payers, and her source of income with a bonus of good looking appearances. She definitely know how to jokes.

 

He might not be so good in expressing himself. He was not that good in words or writing romantic letters but in his simplest way he just wanted Rae In to know that how thankful he is for her to be in his life. She came into his life and totally changed his world that was full with egoism. He have lost total control of himself and he was a changed person. His heart wasn’t longer belong to him anymore, it’s given away to her. He is deeply and madly in love with his wife. Surely that love demands sacrifice and happiness demands contribution from both sides. But he is very thankful for having a wife who has both the qualities.

 

“Your husband are so romantic Dr Rae In. We are so jealous of you” The nurses . 

 

“He is” She said. “But too bad that he’s mine” She jokes making all her co-workers laugh.

 

“Intern Dr Rae In!” A man standing from afar suddenly shouted at them. “Come see me in my office now!” He added.

 

“The lion just woke up. Good luck Dr Rae In” Her co-workers wish her good luck before she leave. 

 

The room was full with stack of multiple folders, probably details of the patient case and she could see few appreciation trophy display on the rack confirming the credibility of the person works. He surely one of the best doctor in this hospital. She sat on the chair nervously, unable to lifted up her head to confront with the man in front of her. He looks furious, with a hint of disappointments in his eyes looking straight into her. He slightly massage his temple before open his mouth— he’s going to scold his intern.

 

“Do you know why I call you today?” He asked in a serious tone. 

 

“No Dr Choi” She stutters, her voice so slow that it almost gone.

 

“The case report that I asked you to do.....” He said. “It was a trash” 

 

Surely almost everyone in the hospital love  Rae In— well except her residency supervisor. When she admiring over the kindest M.D Dr Kwon Jiyong, the head of emergency department, she almost hate his best friend which is her own supervisor. M.D Dr Choi Seunghyun, he is the pain in the . She wonder why this handsome senior doctor couldn’t just be nice to her instead of being a jerk. Like a total jerk. Despite having a good reputation in his work, acknowledged as one of the best surgeon in Seoul, Dr Choi definitely the biggest iceberg that will make Rae In residency life went sink, just like the titanic ship. 

 

Luck surely wasn’t in her side when she got someone like Dr Choi as her supervisor. Her problem with him mostly dealing getting yelled at every single day for things that aren't even her fault. He was that kind of supervisor that always telling her to do one thing but then getting mad at her for doing it. This guy seriously lack the sense of human in him. She remembered how he treated her during the first week of her residency, it was the worst. He will just yelled at her in front of patient just because she get the wrong IV drip pack from the store and there is one day when he just started screaming at her because over a period of 1 and half hours, she had gone from efficient to useless. 

 

“It easy Dr Rae In. If you hate working with me then you just could go to your family hospital” He smirks. “I’m sure that nobody will yell at you, future Vice President of Jung Medical Group” 

 

She was taken aback, but still keep her poker face at him. “I’m sorry Dr Choi. I will do better next time” 

 

“You better be Dr Rae In. You gotta keep up with the reputation that you have build” He said. “Don’t want to ruin it up, don’t you?”

 

‘I swear that I should just kill him with scalpel inside his room. That bingu guy. Does he think that he’s TOP at everything? Duh!’ She thought.

 


 

Isn’t that the best feeling ever to woke up extra late after making a breakfast for your husband before he left to work, feeling fresh as you don’t need to care whether you are going to be late or not the workplace and just enjoy the morning sunshine during your rest day. It was amazing for Rae In. For the whole tiring and exhausting week, she will be waiting for her rest day to come. The day that she will be able to retrieve back her precious sleeps and the day that she can spend her time with Sehun. 

 

She feel so excited driving her Mini Cooper on the road, heading to city as she was about to go to Sehun office. They will have a lunch meeting with the boys and she decided to drop off into Oh Group building to visit her husband. As soon as she reached there, she was amazed with the new interior design of the building. The last time she went to his office is when all the decorations still haven’t been renovated yet. It was–– how shall she put it?–– classy yet very futuristic. 

 

“Welcome back Mrs Oh. Have a good day ahead! Did you come to meet Mr Oh?” She greet her back, impressed with friendly treatment from the receptionist. 

 

“Mr Oh had a meeting till the next 10 minutes. Would you like to wait him in his office?” The petite receptionist asked again. 

 

“It’s okay” Rae In smiles, “I’ll be waiting here at the lounge” 

 

Everyone in the office should know who she is, the wife to the CEO of this empire. It automatically made her become one of the shareholders in the Oh Group. Even though she had a power in this company and as the wife to Sehun, she didn’t simply used the tittle as the CEO wife to do everything she like. She still had a respect the company and his workers and she even give him some personal space. She didn’t mind to wait for him at the lounge instead of invading his office just like that. She know that Sehun didn’t mind if she did that but she just want to be an understanding wife. 

 

Few minutes passed and she could saw Sehun walk in from the main door. She wave him from afar, hoping that he would notice her. 

 

“You are here already? Sorry if you have to wait baby. I just finished meeting with the client” He said as soon as he noticed her.

 

“It’s okay I didn’t wait too long. How was your day Sehun?” She took his arm to link with her. 

 

“Mostly spend by missing you” He wink. “Sehun!” She was blushing so bad especially when she noticed that there is someone else beside him.

 

“Why baby? It just my PA” He said. “Let me introduce you, this is Bae Irene. My new PA” He added.

 

“Nice to meet you Mrs Oh. You can just call me Irene” That girl said. 

 

Rae In smiles, staring at her from head to toe. “Nice to meet you too Irene. I’m Rae In”

 

She had to admit that Sehun got a hella fine good looking PA. She was so beautiful that she just can’t stop looking at her. She had a long legs, match with her curvy body. Her face— Rae In impressed with her white glowing face. She almost wanted to ask her what skincare that she used. Her makeup skills was just good as she already looking so flawless even without heavy make up. 

 

She wore a red blazer matching with her mini skirt, landed just above her knees. y— she believed that most of man in the company probably drooling over her. With a beautiful girl like her working beside a very handsome, young CEO, it surely the best pair to be seen in the office. And then, suddenly it come across to her. Should she feel insecure with her husband PA?

 

She shook her head to get rid of the thought. “Hey baby, are you okay?” His voice wake her from the daydream.

 

“Yeah...yeah I am. Babe is it okay for me to be in your room at this time? I don’t want to interrupt your work”

 

“I’ll be signing a few papers then we are free to go. Come here with me” Sehun demand her to sit on his lap. 

 

“Not here Oh Sehun” She said when he slides his hand into her thighs. 

 

Sehun rest his head on her shoulder, inhaling the scent of her. “Alright I’m done. Let’s go to meet the boys!”

 

They have promised EXO to meet at their favorite restaurant to have a lunch together. With Rae In busy with her residency life, she barely had time to hang out and having fun with them. Past years has passed since they are graduated from college but these boys still didn’t changed.

 

“Chanyeol! That’s my prawn that you took!” Baekhyun pouted. 

 

“I don’t see your name on it Bacon so why this is yours?” He replied, still defending the meals. “I hate you Park Chanyeol!”

 

And suddenly there is a flying napkin across the table. 

 

“Did you know them Rae In?” Suho asked her. “I don’t think I have a friend like them” She smirks.

 

Chen abruptly stand from his chair, “Why my plate only have 5 pieces of salmon while Kai got 6 pieces?!” 

 

“Oh my God these punks” Xiumin face palm himself. 

 

“Kai...you took one piece from Chen hyung plate right?” Kai put his cutlery down. “Yah Chanyeol! Why the hell that I have to do that?” 

 

Rae In shook her head. “Guys seriously?” 

 

“......Actually I’m the one who took it” Kyungsoo words made everyone shocked. But at least it solved all the mysteries. 

 

The boys still the same mischievous boys that she used to know. They were all the most successful young CEO that take over their family business legacy, but for Rae In they are just a bunch of man who have the childish side inside of them. Baekhyun and Chanyeol has set up a new technology company that has started to build its own name, Suho taking over his family property business, Chen becoming the largest shareholder in his mother entertainment company, Xiumin and Kyungsoo both success as CEO at their own manufacturing business and Kai apparently working on another branch of his franchise business. 

 

They all young and very successful and she couldn’t be more proud than she already is. No matter how busy they are, they will still make up times to meet up with each other. Even for a while. But today, someone apparently couldn’t let go his mobile phone along the lunch session. She couldn’t help but to ask him. 

 

“Babe, put your phone down for awhile” She whined. “Let’s have fun for a bit”

 

Still typing on his iPhone, Sehun didn’t really pay attention on her words. “Sehun! I’m talking to you!” 

 

“Oh—- Yes Rae In? What did you said?” He finally responded. 

 

“Who are you texting?” She asked furiously. “I thought we have a rule like ‘no working things when we eat’?” 

 

“I’m texting Irene. Just for a minute baby...I’m almost done” He said without even looking at her. 

 

She put her chopsticks down, eyebrows slightly furrowed. She just lost her mood. Isn’t this lunch supposed to be the times to spend with her and EXO but yet he keep texting his PA. If it is related to business then they could just meet and discuss later in the office. Or—- are they.....

 

‘Should I feel insecure about his new hot PA?’ Rae In is worried.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Lol guys I didn’t know anything about med school I just made it up. Sorry if it was too absurd. 

 

Btw I just made a three shots Baekhyun X OC fanfic. Here check it out! 

ALMOST LOVER :)